The South American Accords

Captain Enema

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fall of the Argentinian government brings the implementation of the South American Accords protocols. As the collapse was a peaceful one, though brought on by the Athenian attack, the police and civil servants are very much willing to continue earning their pay under the supervision of an Administrative Team from the South American Organization.

Chile will increase its share as well.

1st Armored Division and the Provisional Combat Engineers Group

The 1st Armored and the PCEG are given orders to proceed into Argentina and to collect all heavy military equipment for disposal. The move is explained to Montessori of the South American Organization as a means of ensuring no small scale conflicts are fueled with the masses of Argentinian Army equipment. 

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

The Imperio Republica sends its thoughts to the people affected by the war, and the Followers of Delgado volunteer to aid the general populations affected. They would be sent along with a light guard of soldiers into Argentina and messages would be sent to Zulia and Paraguay requesting permission to send similar groups into their countries to aid their civilian populations.

"It would be helpful if Peru could disarm the former nation of Zulia of heavy weapons. Argentina seems well in hand for the time being, their economy is more or less intact and their police and civil services are still functioning. Engineering units to upgrade hospitals, schools, and other public facilities would be useful." 

-Montessori

1st Armored Division and PCEG

The two units are hard at work rounding up everything bigger than an assault rifle. It'll take a month or two before the bulk of the heavy manportable weapons and vehicles are completely collected and destroyed. The Argentinian stocks of explosives have been confiscated and are being put to use in obliterating the Argentinian fortifications, radar sites, bunkers, and other military sites. The Argentinian Army is given 6 months severance pay by the Chilean government and first choice of employment with the expanding police departments that are being supported under the watch of the South American Organization. 

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

Federal Peruvian Military High Command would order the deployment of the Peacekeeping Force Zulia, consisting of the 4th Peruvian Guard Division "Bogota" and 31st Motorised Division into Zulia, which would effectively begin disarming the former Zulian Military. They would collect all heavy military equipment for disposal, though secretly the weapons would be sent back for Federal Military use. They would also begin Explosive Ordinance Disposal Operations to clear any Minefields and Unexploded Ordinance. Destroyed Vehicles would be removed and shipped back for scrap after what could be salvaged had been taken.

Simultaneously, an order asking all Zulian Defense Force soldiers still in hiding to present themselves for internment. Any who resisted would be dealt with swiftly. They would be resent for retraining, effectively becoming a Police Force to help the Federal Army. They would also begin to rebuild the General Rafael Urdaneta Bridge over Lake Maracaibo. Effectively the area would be designated a "Safe Zone", with supplies being rushed in to make sure the population was sustained. 

The South American Organization moves in and assumes control of Natal, where police and civil services are provided through the usual SAO means.

1st Armored Division and PCEG

The 1st Armored Division is returned to Chile with Argentina being relatively peaceful. The Provisional Combat Engineering Group is considered ample for the task of destroying the heavy weapons and equipment of the Argentinian Military now that the bulk of the heavy tanks, armored vehicles, and aircraft were destroyed with explosives leaving the rest of the work involving fixed structures and ordinance disposal. The Argentinian Army rifles are distributed to the local police organizations along with pistols, body armor, pistols, and light vehicles. Military hospitals are to be stripped of all useful equipment for distribution to civilian hospitals or re-purposed entirely for civilian use under SAO supervision. The Argentinian Military and Civilian records have been transported to Chile for analysis to ensure there are no hidden surprises lurking in the shadows. 

A Chilean Army Paratrooper battalion and a Air Support Unit consisting of transport planes, transport helicopters, and attack helicopters are sent to act as mobile reaction teams in the event the PCEG gets itself into hot water and requires immediate support.

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

Due to Natal's small size and proximity to the IR, may we suggest simply integrating it into our nation? With the proper votes of course. Aside from a passport, travel between Natal and the IR has never been restricted and we've been trying to contact Mexico about it for some time now. I see why they never responded.

Provisional Combat Engineering Group, Argentina

The last of the work with disarming Argentina has been completed. Tonnes of munitions have been destroyed, armored vehicles scrapped, planes scrapped, and soldiers returned to civilian life. The coastal defense works have been destroyed as well. The only thing remaining are a single OTH Radar on George Island of the Falklands for use in Maritime security. The base has been carved out of a remote area and is well away from occupied settlements. Likewise, the police have been equipped out of military stocks, police strength drastically increased with former military, and a wide range of general improvements made to the civilian infrastructure has been conducted.

With these items taken care of the PCEG and the Airborne Taskforce are returned to Chile, while a Outpost Security Company is sent to George Island to provide security for the OTH site.

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

• 2 weeks later...

The nation of Guyana has silently gone into the night. The government no longer being able to fund itself due to inept tax collection polices resorts to mass lay offs to meet its financial responsibilities. Rather than allow this situation to go on for too long the head of the Guyanan military quietly encourages the head of government to depart the country and at the same time invites the South American Organization to lend its support with an Administrative team. 

The Army is disbanded, rehired, and redeployed as South American Organization Police. The heavy equipment is parked along in the military depots and left under guard until it can be disposed of. A single regiment of Chilean Engineers is dispatched from Chile to assist with infrastructure rebuilding, weapons and munitions disposal, and other needed projects.

At this time there is no need for major expenditures of foreign aid. The Guyanan people have plenty of food, water, and medical supplies. Contributions to the long term improvement efforts are welcome in the form of monetary donations to the the South American Organization.

"Now that the government of Paraguay has been pacified for the time being I feel we do need to help them with their overpopulation problem. The Republica itself would like to see some South American Protectorate land become apart of it. Perhaps an election should be held in the interested area's. The Republica has done several polls itself and has notice there is strong support for cedeing into the Republica in the following provinces, Mato Grooso du Sul, Goias, Tocatins, Piaui, and the city of Natal, which is technically still a South American Protectorate. I cannot speak for the areas Paraguay might be interested in but I imagine they would like access to the ocean."

"Before we give away land belong to others by election or not, I'd like to see some sort of census and an investigation beforehand. Is the problem in Paraguay an inept or corrupt government that is failing in its obligations to take care of the needs of its people or is there really a problem with overpopulation? This needs to be determined before any increase in size is made as Chile will not abide by land and people being entrusted to what might well be a criminally incompetent regime that has already shown a terrible lack of common sense."

"Pará knows all too well the disastrous consequences overpopulation can have on a nation's economy and, more importantly, on its people and living standards. Therefore, on the basis of the data concerning Paraguay's brewing overpopulation problem, I feel, speaking purely in a vacuum and regardless of the cause and other factors, that it is necessary to rectify the issue before it festers and worsens. That said, Chile raises a fair point: if this overpopulation is purely a result of inept policies, an increase in territory will essentially be naught but a band-aid over an amputated arm. Though our current data implies the overpopulation is the result of factors beyond the control of the Paraguayan government-- a massive population boom coinciding with insufficient land territory to accommodate the necessary infrastructure to harbour the result-- that their first course of action was military expansion is extremely telling, and none too pleasing. This is something that needs to be discussed with the leadership of Paraguay themselves-- to say nothing, of course, of the necessary gauging of the sentiments of the populations occupying the territories in question, who, I suspect, may not be fond of a nation that expressed a general lack of concern for their opinions."

• 3 weeks later...

As per policy of the South American Organization administrative departments would be organized by hiring local staff and administrators from Peru and Venezuela to supervise those regions until a local government re-establishes itself. 

Chile dispatches a division of troops for  logistical, engineering, training purposes to Venezuela and Peru to oversee the process of disarming the military and converting it into a national police force.  

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

A communique was dispatched to the appropriate offices of the nations of Argentina and the Imperio Republica.

"The fall of Chile, one of the major benefactors of the SAO, to say nothing of other recent events, necessitates a second collective meeting to discuss the future of this organisation, and the future of South America. Pará intends to maintain the South American Organisation, both as a civil service for unaligned territories and as an effective means of enabling nations to achieve independence by the will of their people and the nations of South America. Therefore I request a teleconference with all of you-- heads of states, the forces of change and progress in our continent-- to discuss the continuation of this organisation and the future of South America. I await your responces."

- Isabel Vieira

Edited by dotCom

Chancellor Delgado would take part in the teleconference.

"The fall of Chile is sad indeed. Though I was partially expecting it after the nuclear disaster. Not many nations can survive such a tragedy. The Republica will try to coordinate with what remains of Chile's infrastructure to continue the cleanup operations in the affected cities as well as fill any voids in the SAO that may appear. As they have done in the past we will deconstruct the remains of their military and convert it into a police force."

Several teams of engineering, military police, and clean up crews would be deployed to the former chile territory. Engineer's would decommission military structures, military police would train former military to police roles and clean up crews would pick up where Chile's left of in cities affected.

OOC: I don't remember if he took the damages from the nukes. If he didn't just ignore the parts about that.

With the appropriate representatives of both Argentina and the Imperio Republica now present-- in a sense, anyway-- the teleconference began.

"Chancellor Delgado-- Minister Timerman," the premier said by way of greeting, before delving into the matters at hand. "Chile's collapse was indeed a tragedy, but the structure we have put in place for the SAO is an efficient one-- they were able to quickly restore order to the nation, incorporate it back into the South American Protectorate, and efforts to recover from the nuclear strike initiated by the PSSA continue-- with, of course, the aid of the Republica, and all nations that currently back the SAO."

Isabel paused, and then continued. "However, I've specifically entreatied an audience with your respective nations to discuss more than that. For better or for worse, Argentina, the Republica, and Pará are the primary regional forces of South America-- Uruguay has never to any significant capacity involved itself in matters beyond its borders, which is its own respectable sovereign decision, and Paraguay has been highly erratic as of late: I don't feel either of them has either the will nor the capacity to act as guiding forces in South America at this point. I do feel, however, that as the three larger nations of South America, we have something of a... a [I]duty[/I], if you will, to act as this continent's safeguards.

We've seen imperialist powers strike at South America-- either in an attempt to gain a foothold on our continent, as was the case with Tianxia's invasion, which resulted in the collapse of Venezuela, the previous incarnation of Argentina, and the Republic of Zulia, or to simply mete out unprovoked, relentless devastation, as in the case of the PSSA's attack on Chile. In both cases, South America failed to wholly rally against the aggressors-- indeed, Peru became accomplice to Tianxia's unjustified aggression. Speaking for myself, I don't want to see something like that causing any more devastation to South America. We're not Europe-- a cadre of back-stabbing nations, sabotaged by mutual distrust and unable to unite to combat external threats. South America has historically been a tighter-knit community.

Therefore, what I propose is essentially an 'upgrade', if you will, of the South American Accords. I would like to suggest that we go further than a loose union based on the funding of a neutral third party-- though that should continue, as we've seen the SAO to be a highly effective body for governing unaligned territories. I wish to go further, however, and propose economic and military ties between our nations. Economic agreements, of course, would bolster the economic might of all involved nations, and enable us all to prosper and advance as sovereign countries. With regards to military obligations, however, that is purely in the interests of effectively combating outside threats. It is to prevent our potential adversaries from exploiting a fractured South America-- from finding a gap in which to dig their knife, as they did with Peru, to interfere in our continental matters and engineer the downfall of our nations. It wouldn't, I feel, prove much obstacle to internal business as usual-- but it would enable South America to more effectively combat attempts to gain a foothold on our continent by imperialist powers, as well as to prevent tragedies such as struck Chile and caused the collapse of that nation."

The Chancellor considered the proposal. "There are advantages and disadvantages to forming a military bloc. I believe we've always had an unspoken pact of defense, as evident to my countries responses to the various threats to South American security. The unspoken pact provided the advantage of choice to nations involved in conflicts as well as surprise. If a nation began acting out of line you could be sure that one of us would respond but not know if all of us would respond. I believe that fact kept one of the iterations of Paraguay from escalating its conflict with Chile. That being said I'd like to keep the option of choice if we were to "upgrade" the South American Accords. I'm not a fan of obligations, as those obligations could get my nation destroyed."