FSS Question

Magister Agricolarum

It is my understanding that the Fallout Shelter System is supposed to limit naval losses to 18% of non-nuclear invulnerable ships. For some time, I've had 12 "nukeable" ships (6 each of two varieties), yet I find myself repurchasing two of each class of ship after I'm nuked. (12*18%) and [(6*18%)+(6*18%)] are both 2.16, so I'm not sure how I'm managing to lose 4 ships per nuking. As I purchased the FSS for the primary purpose of slowing my naval losses, I'd appreciate any insight into where my math or understanding of the wonder is going wrong.

Maybe tech affects naval losses when you nuke someone? It's either that or the FSS is broken. I'll take a close look at my naval losses when I get nuked next time.

I've been losing almost 50% of my air force to nukes too, despite the fact that I have a FSS and carrier aircraft are supposed to take less losses from nukes.

Edited by Viluin

[quote name='Magister Agricolarum' timestamp='1296964430' post='2621267']
It is my understanding that the Fallout Shelter System is supposed to limit naval losses to 18% of non-nuclear invulnerable ships. For some time, I've had 12 "nukeable" ships (6 each of two varieties), yet I find myself repurchasing two of each class of ship after I'm nuked. (12*18%) and [(6*18%)+(6*18%)] are both 2.16, so I'm not sure how I'm managing to lose 4 ships per nuking. As I purchased the FSS for the primary purpose of slowing my naval losses, I'd appreciate any insight into where my math or understanding of the wonder is going wrong.
[/quote]

Nuclear weapons are extremely devastating to nations being attacked by them. Nuclear weapons completely reduce the number of defending soldiers for a defending nation to zero (50% Survival if the defending nations has the Fallout Shelter System wonder), cause great amounts of cruise missile, tanks, land, technology and infrastructure losses (35% each up to a base limit before the techbonus of 150 land, 150 infrastructure, and 50 technology), reduce defending aircraft by 75% (aircraft supported by the Foreign Airforce Base wonder and aircraft carriers are reduced at a lower percentage), [b]reduce defending Corvettes, Landing Ships, Cruisers, and Frigates by 25%[/b], and cause population happiness to plummet for a period of 5 days after a nuclear attack. Nuclear weapons may not be launched until after 24 hours after declaring war.

Fallout Shelter System - $40,000,000 - Allows 50% of your defending soldiers to survive a nuclear strike (Does not prevent nuclear Anarchy but does prevent troops from being totally depleted), Reduces tank, cruise missile, and aircraft, losses from a nuclear strike by -25%, [b]Reduces nuclear vulnerable navy losses by 12%[/b], Reduces nuclear anarchy effects by 1 day. Requires 6,000 infrastructure, 2,000 technology.

If you have 12 ships, getting hit by a nuke will reduce your naval complement by 4. If you have FSS, that loss (of 4) will be reduced by 12%, which even with rounding comes out to 0 ships saved (if you rounded up from 12.5% then it would be 25% of ships or 1 ship saved)

To get Naval losses reduced with FSS you need more nuclear-vulnerable ships. If you had, for example, 20 nuclear vulnerable ships, a nuke would wipe out 5, 12% of that (.6) should round up to save one ship.

If that's the case (and that does make sense), then the text from nuclear attacks should be changed. As phrased, it implies that the FSS reduces naval losses [b]to[/b] 18%, rather than [b]by[/b] 12% (12% from 25% is 22%, which makes this wonder even more useless than I thought):

[quote]Message: Your nation has been attacked with nuclear weapons by XXXX. Your fallout shelters have limited the damage caused by this attack. [b]You lost[/b] XXXX soldiers, XXXX defending tanks, XXXX cruise missiles, XXXX miles of land, XXXX technology, XXXX infrastructure, 50% of your aircraft, and [b]18% of your nuclear vulnerable navy force[/b]. In addition to these losses your nation will experience several days of economic devastation. [/quote]

Edit: tweaked numbers

Edited by Magister Agricolarum

Yup, I just lost 5 out of the 20 nuclear vulnerable ships I had. So it's definitely not 18%. If it really does reduce losses from 25% to 22% that's ridiculous because it will almost never make a difference. 22% of 20 is 4.4 so apparently it rounds up too.

Edited by Viluin