Council of the East Sea

Sigurd Odinnson

IN THE NAME OF HIS MAJESTY SIGISMUND I, by the GRACE of GOD, KING of FRIEDLAND and DUKE of MECKLENBERG and INNER POMERANIA,

All states surrounding the Baltic Sea are hereby invited to a diplomatic summit in the city of Prague at the historic Hradschin Palace for discussions of a trade bloc over the Baltic Sea. All nations with a Baltic Port or interests in the Baltic sea may send a diplomat to Prague in one week's time.

The goal of this meeting will be to discuss the establishment of a new economic power in the Baltic for the benefit of all nations surrounding that sea. We hearken back to ancient days in which the Baltic was the richest of the northern seas, in the hopes that this prosperity and close cooperation may once again be recreated.

Therefore, the leaders of Denmark, Sweden & Norway, Finland, SlavoRussia, and Germany shall be welcomed for discussions just as soon as they see fit.

For His Majesty,

His Excellency Karl Gustav, Duke of Pilsen
Royal Minister of Foreign Affairs for the Kingdom of Friedland

[center][b]Dear Duke of Pilsen,

Denmark is definitely interested in such a treaty however, the only problem we have with such a bloc is that Denmark and Germany have recently been... fairly distant, if not hostile towards each other. The current war within Europe is also something which is of importance to bear in mind. With the current state that it is, Denmark will be unable to commit to anything which would compromise our position.

I do hope you will receive this message quite quickly,

Yours sincerely,

[i]Tony Montana, Ruler of Denmark[/i][/b][/center]

[quote name='Franz Ferdinand' timestamp='1281729910' post='2414713']
[center][b]Dear Duke of Pilsen,

Denmark is definitely interested in such a treaty however, the only problem we have with such a bloc is that Denmark and Germany have recently been... fairly distant, if not hostile towards each other. The current war within Europe is also something which is of importance to bear in mind. With the current state that it is, Denmark will be unable to commit to anything which would compromise our position.

I do hope you will receive this message quite quickly,

Yours sincerely,

[i]Tony Montana, Ruler of Denmark[/i][/b][/center]
[/quote]

[i]PRIVATE[/i]

To His Excellency Herr Montana,

It is with deep regret that We receive your news; so much so that We have decided to respond myself. It is hoped that these negotiations might be held in the spirit of bringing about closer relations among those states on the Baltic; if one nation should deem it unfit to discourse with another, it would be deeply regrettable but We should not consider it avoidable.

His Excellency should let it be known to friends and allies that The Kingdom of Friedland does not hold any state above any other state, nor do We consider proper to Our Royal Place to hold any state that has not heretofore treated with Friedland above any other state. We hope, therefore, that poor relations with one state will not discourage Denmark from participating in non-committal talks with other Baltic states.

If, still, it does not suit His Excellency to enter talks that would involve the State of Germany, We would like to extend to His Excellency an invitation to privately treat with Friedland for the purpose of improving exchange of goods, persons, and culture between Friedland and Denmark.

In Respect and Amity,
His Majesty
[img]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad256/Odinnson_NoR/SigismundI.png[/img]
Sigismund I, King of Friedland, Duke of Mecklenberg and Inner Pomerania

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Duke of Pilsen,

With the recent death of Tony Montana, Denmark's government has altered dramatically. I declare with the utmost confidence that Denmark wishes to enter these talks for a Baltic Treaty Bloc. I shall make sure to come as soon as I've completed some other diplomatic business first. It would be a pleasure to work with your nation to help a truly Baltic revival.

Yours sincerely,

[i]Ron Jeremy,
Leader of Denmark[/i]

[quote name='Franz Ferdinand' timestamp='1282944946' post='2433107']
Dear Duke of Pilsen,

With the recent death of Tony Montana, Denmark's government has altered dramatically. I declare with the utmost confidence that Denmark wishes to enter these talks for a Baltic Treaty Bloc. I shall make sure to come as soon as I've completed some other diplomatic business first. It would be a pleasure to work with your nation to help a truly Baltic revival.

Yours sincerely,

[i]Ron Jeremy,
Leader of Denmark[/i]
[/quote]

OOC: when I read 'Ron Jeremy' I actually laughed out loud.

IC:

[quote]To His Excellency Herr Jeremy,

The Kingdom of Friedland extends heartfelt condolences for the loss of the leader of Denmark. It has come to the attention of His Majesty that the government of Denmark was once the centre of a major trade bloc itself, to which allies Norway-Sweden still adhere. His Majesty feels that if His Excellency Herr Jeremy should see fit, a journey to Copenhagen might be appropriate to discuss the renovation of this bloc, the European Free Trade Association. The project of a European organisation strikes both His Majesty and the Royal Ministers of the government of the Kingdom of Friedland to be too ambitious an undertaking for the moment, but perhaps a smaller project encompassing only the Baltic, or East, Sea is appropriate.

With this in mind, His Majesty wonders if His Excellency Herr Jeremy would be willing to communicate to Denmark's allies in Norway-Sweden the idea of the Northern European Free Trade Organisation. With the rich history of trade in the East Sea, a neutral centre seems a logical undertaking, and His Majesty proposes the use of the ancient trade hub of Visby, Gotland as the capital of NEFTO. This proposition shall be made public knowledge by His Majesty to all states on the Baltic.

In Peace and Amity,

His Highness Karel Gustav Czernin von Chudenitz, Duke of Pilsen
Royal Minister of Foreign Affairs for the Kingdom of Friedland[/quote]

The Kingdom of Friedland would like to repeat its invitation to all nations who have Baltic ports to enter into a newly organised Trade Bloc, tentatively to be called the Northern European Free Trade Organisation, with its propose capital to be in Visby, Gotland, presently controlled by the nation of Denmark. Discussions for a treaty to bring this bloc to fruition, including discussions to alter those suggestions by His Majesty King Sigismund as to the name and capital of the bloc, are to be held in Stralsund, Friedland, and representatives from the nations of Norway-Sweden, Finland, Slavorussia, Denmark, and Germany are invited to attend, as well as representatives of any nations who wish to join the bloc as observer states.