A Outpost to the Pacific

JEDCJT

Across the Maritime Republic of J Andres, hundreds of thousands of Andrean citizens turned to television sets in their living rooms/offices/public outlets/etc. There were rumors that J Andres was going to gain new lands, but these were unverified rumors nevertheless. That is, until President Richard Mercton’s speech that he was going to give to the nation on television.

And so he stood in front of the Press Briefing Room of the Adrik Annan Governmental Building. A crowd of news reporters, journalists, and interns were assembled in the room, all clutching their notepads and pens in anticipation for the speech that the President was about to give. Camera flashes punctuated the room as President Mercton shuffled his speech.

When the video recorders began rolling, thus transmitting his image to millions of television screens across the nation and his voice to millions of citizens through satellites, the President began his speech.

“[i]Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I come before you, citizens of the Maritime Republic of J Andres and my brothers and sisters, to bring you the news that through negotiations with several nations, of which they are our friends and allies, J Andres now has a outlet to the Pacific Ocean![/i]”

Pausing for a moment, Mercton continued. “[i]Yes, you heard it correctly. J Andres will have a port on the Pacific Ocean in the form of the City of Los Angeles and its namesake County! Now, before anyone accuses me of breaking my promise that I had made in regards to expansion, let me assure you that this was done out of necessity. For too long, J Andres had been confined to the Atlantic Ocean, and she yearned to truly spread her wings in real freedom, freedom to conduct and maintain trade, commerce, and connections around the world in an unfettered way. Sometimes treaties, agreements, and/or promises would not be applicable in this situation.[/i]”

With that, Mercton gestured to a PowerPoint presentation near him, indicating the location of Los Angeles and its County in the former Tahoan state of California.

[center][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5b/LA_County_Incorporated_Areas.svg/730px-LA_County_Incorporated_Areas.svg.png[/img][/center]

Mercton went on to explain that Los Angeles will be rebuilt to its former glory, that the soldiers of both sides who fought and lost their lives for what they and their governments thought was the right cause will be honored, and prosperity will be brought to Los Angeles on the same standard as that of J Andres. Smiling, the President went on to declare that “[i]50,000 troops will be sent to Los Angeles and its County, and that starting immediately, Los Angeles[/i] [and the LA County] [i]is under the sovereignty and jurisdiction of J Andres![/i]”

[center]---[/center]
As the photographers began flashing away, reporters jotted down furiously in their notebooks, and citizens mused over their president’s words with awe, hundreds and thousands of troops began to load into S-22 Osprey aircrafts, where they were airlifted from their AFBs all over J Andres in the direction of the now-former Tahoe; a large part were also transported across the North American continent to their destination: Los Angeles. The J Andres government had already contacted the governments of the United States of America, Louisiana, and York regarding this.

Hours passed before, the aircrafts appeared in the skies of the still-burning city of Los Angeles. The devastation could be seen from up in the air. Columns of smoke billowed up into the air, while rubbles littered the city’s street. As they looked out of the windows, some soldiers and generals wondered why Mercton chose a devastated city like Los Angeles, not nearby San Diego, where it was largely untouched by the war. But still, they were going to do their duty and this, they will do so! You see, not only did J Andres sent over troops, but they also sent over aid workers and volunteers, equipment, and supplies.

And so, the Andreans went straight to the task. As Army and Kommissazul troops began reestablishing and restoring law and order on the devastated streets of Los Angeles and its County, aid workers and volunteers began distributing food, clothing, and supplies as well as equipment to the residents of Los Angeles. Not only did this happen within Los Angeles’ city limits, but it also occurred outside the city; hundreds of soldiers kept watch as the aid workers did their jobs. The Andreans also went on to establish temporary refugee camps, where hundreds and thousands of Los Angeles residents could stay while the city was being rebuilt.

Shortly after, as Kommissazul troopers established new border checkpoints and crossings at the borders of the Los Angeles County, President Mercton issued a resolution extending Andrean citizenship to the city’s inhabitants. What had once been Tahoan citizens now became lawful citizens of J Andres, under the full protection by Endor Cuidad, and with full rights, duties, and responsibities. The [b]Los Angeles Reconstruction Commission[/b] was established to oversee the reconstruction of the city, on the same level as that in the city of Mercton. Much more were being planned for the city, and that included but is not limited to the reconstruction of Disneyland.

The Anchor flag now sailed over the government building in Los Angeles, as well as all over the city, signifying of the new status of Los Angeles as J Andres’s newest city and port. J Andres finally had a outpost to the Pacific.

OOC: EDIT: I guess the title should say, 'Outlet' not 'outpost'. I guess this is what you get for typing this post at 1am in the morning.

Edited by JEDCJT

Tasmanian troops saluted the J Andres troops as they moved in and then made their way to the docks where they were loaded back on their transport ships and headed home. One of them cradled a valuable souvenir in his arms, the last Dragon Empire Flag to have ever been flown in the name of the old Empire. Some collector somewhere in the world or some museum may one day want this piece of history.

As they returned home.. some would simply settle back into lives in Tasmania or Australia, a few would fly out to join with family who had emigrated to the United States.. taking with them commissions, pensions, and earnings.

The Tasmanian economy which had hummed along so valiantly during the war stalled faintly as this exodus began.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

The drop in the economy as the war ended was no less pleasant for having been anticipated. However, many of the Hanseatic Duchies were glad to be rid of the issue that had often proven divisive between East and West.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder