VOLCANIC ERUPTION IN VOSTOK SSR

comrade nikonov

SATELLITE REPORT

A giant volcanic eruption took place today in the Balleny Islands, the homeland of Vostok SSR. Sadly, it happened during a victory celebration, due to the destruction of the Carthraginian Fail-fleet at Ross Island by Vostok nuclear forces. The Premier of the Vostok SSR, Leonid Zombivich Brezhnev, as well as most of the citizens of the island, were parading down the streets of the capital when a giant explosion caused more than 90% of the island to sink into the Ocean.

krakatoa-1833.jpg

Artist's Rendition

Latest satellite imagery shows the Island as follows:

580px-Santorini_Landsat.jpg

Casualties are estimated to be around 100%.

OOC: EDIT: EXPLANATION: VOSTOK SSR WAS CREATED FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF ONE RP. NOW THAT THE RP HAS COMPLETED, VOSTOK SSR MUST GO. SADLY TO SAY, I AM NOT QUITE SADDENED. THE BALLENY ISLANDS ARE A HOTSPOT IN RL, SO ITS NOT SURPRISING THAT MY NATION JUST GOT BLOWN TO KINGDOM COME.

Edited by comrade nikonov

Port Dranagg, the closest habitation to the detonation, have this to comment.

"Gnarly waves man. Those fire works too, and that bang. I was radical! The way all the loose ice came crashing down then went, like, it was awesome. All those big waves too man, totally awesome."

Unfortunately questions could not be answered as 90% of the population of Port Dranagg is suffering from temporary hearing loss.

OOC: They don't. They produce a cloud of highly radioactive dust that is infused with a nice selection of radioisotopes.

OOC: I was saying that in regards to Subtle's post, not yours. However, in terms of currents, that radioactive cloud won't move anywhere if I am right as to where you were located in Antarctica. Not skin off my back... I like growing giants who turn green. :D

OOC: I was saying that in regards to Subtle's post, not yours. However, in terms of currents, that radioactive cloud won't move anywhere if I am right as to where you were located in Antarctica. Not skin off my back... I like growing giants who turn green. :D

OOC: Hey, all I know IC-wise is that there was a nuclear explosion... :P

OOC: volcanic explosion, that took out a nuclear powerplant :P You might want to brace for tidal waves :lol1:

OOC: You mean the plant didn't explode when hit by the volcano? :P Also...how high were the tidal waves that hit you?

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

OOC: You mean the plant didn't explode when hit by the volcano? :P Also...how high were the tidal waves that hit you?

OOC: the ross ice shelf floats above a rather deep part of ocean, tidal waves only grow when it hits shallow water. So I have no problems with them. You, sil, and iamthey would have a problem though.

OOC: Over that distance it would be miniscule. maybe two metres at worst.

OOC: Thank you. :)

IC: The waves weren't large enough to do major damage in Promised Land, but they were noticeable...the waves rising perhaps half-again the height of a man, but no more. A few people got swept off docks, a few smaller ships were beached or damaged, but no fatalities were reported.