Respect

Ejayrazz

Respect  

406 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Putting an arrow through a gold ring at 100 paces might have an entertainment value, but without the garbage man we would most likely be still suffering from the plague and millions of people would be dying due to the poor conditions of hygiene that public spaces would have.

Fact is that every person has its part on society, and we would live in a more harmonious (and overall better) one if each unit respected the other. Improving/contributing for a better society is praiseworthy, so "giving free respect" (as if it COSTED you something!) is consequentially praiseworthy.

I think you're not fully comprehending what respect actually means. Here:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/respect

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/respect

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/respect

Respect revolves around the concept that you think what a person, does/is/stands for (etc) is something you hold in high regard. To continue your garbage man example, the work he does is useful work, but it is not something that you can hold in equally high regard with something that is substantially more impressive. Unless, of course, you're of the opinion that someone who collects bins is doing something as impressive as saving someone's life, solving world hunger, putting an arrow through a gold ring at 100 paces and so on.

Regardless, the point and purpose of the OP is to establish whether this respect is earned or not, so unless you plan on holding everybody in high esteem (which you can't actually do, because how high an esteem you hold someone in is all relative), respect is given to people in varying quantities and the only possible way to establish that is through judging these people and awarding it, essentially making it earned.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is both one and two, to a degree. There's a basic level of respect and common courtesy that should be given to everyone, but that can be influenced up or down, and the people who I truly respect have to earn it.

Yeah, what Jack said. <.<

What Locke said.

I respect everyone until they disrespect me in someway, however, respect can also be earned or regained.

I don't care who you are, respect is probably the biggest pile of !@#$%^&* ever when it comes to CN politics. In real life, respect should be earned unless you are a very trustworthy and open person. In CN, respect comes and goes rather quickly. This is, of course, a generalization but let me explain. Of course there are those individuals who will always be respected because of their supreme amount of class and goodwill toward the community. That I do not contend. However, from what I have seen from the majority of posters on the forum, they 'respect' an individual or group of individuals for a while, but then a war happens or some other huge political event and that respect is instantly erased. Now why were these individuals or groups respected in the first place? I can only surmise that it originated solely from a treaty agreement.

Yet, how can one say "You've lost all my respect"? You can't, unless you never actually respected them in the first place. If you truly respected someone or something in the first place, then that means they did something to earn that respect. To reverse all of that would mean that they did nothing to earn your respect in the first place and that all it was were a bunch of empty "I respect you" load of bull.

/end_confusing_rant

I have no idea if any of that made sense...

Yet, how can one say "You've lost all my respect"? You can't, unless you never actually respected them in the first place. If you truly respected someone or something in the first place, then that means they did something to earn that respect. To reverse all of that would mean that they did nothing to earn your respect in the first place and that all it was were a bunch of empty "I respect you" load of bull.

How do you reconcile the hollowness and worthlessness of respect, as it is used by so many people, and respect's existence?

Respect should be given even to those who don't deserve it.

Why?

If a person backstabs others he should not be treated with any respect, nor should those who state racist comments on these forums or troll threads. I cannot see any reason why people who clearly deserve no respect should be treated with any level of it.

Why?

If a person backstabs others he should not be treated with any respect, nor should those who state racist comments on these forums or troll threads. I cannot see any reason why people who clearly deserve no respect should be treated with any level of it.

Because it's the Golden Rule. B)