An unusual day in the Dragonisian State Legislature.

Maelstrom Vortex

A new kind of insurgency

It was about mid day, there was heated discussion going on between two factions of the uni-body congress over the allocations of funds for part of the Hydrology project going on near the eastern coast. In a state without a body, it wasn't uncommon for debates to take a geographical slant on where funding should be allocated.

Maelstrom had started out the day feeling rough as it was, a headache had plagued him for most of it.. one so bad he was seeing occasional flecks of light and darkness in his vision. He'd almost diverted himself to the doctor, then realized this particular discussion was going to be had today and realized he would be needed to help keep the rowdy lot of the legislature somewhat cool headed about the matter.

"This project is already over-budget, outside its schedule, and showing signs of gross mis-management.. we shouldn't allocate another single talon to this lost cause. If the people here want water, then let them buy it from the grocer! That's what my constituents feel should be done!" Noted a rather conservative legislator from the west.

"And what about those who are house ridden and without family, how will they come by water? Why can't we have the same luxuries afforded those in the west?" Objected one of the originators of the budget spending bill from the east.

"But at what cost?! We finished our part far closer to being on time and on schedule. The only way we'd want this project to continue is if there were a full investigation into who's embezzling all the money!" Came the retort.

"The investigation would only slow things down even further and would cost even more!" Defended the eastern senator.

Maelstrom watched them.. he scratched his chest a bit.. it felt very stuffy in the room suddenly. He leaned to an aid and asked the temperature be brought down a little. The aid nodded and left.. as he did.. Mael's vision went a bit.. fuzzy.. then darkness overcame him.

*Thunk*

The debate stopped.. everyone was looking at the Chairman's desk where he sat slumped over in the Dragon Throne.. hand over where he was scratching at his chest. The capitol's doctors were called to the scene as business was suspended and the Chairman was wheeled out on a gurney for the first time since his operation in Saboria.. All the way out the door of the legislature, a very specialized paramedic team worked to stabilize his vital signs.

,,, to be continued...

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

The Chairman came to a few days later. He felt weak. He looked over at the heart monitors next to his bed. A doctor was a few feet away reading his charts. "Where...."

"You're in Deep Unit Isolation Chamber 1, Chairman.. your hospital. Don't speak. You're very weak. We just completed an operation to remove a benign cancerous tumor from your heart. We're conducting a study on it. We fear your unique physiology may be making you more subject to the occurrence of such abnormalities. You should recover from this one, less than 3% of your heart muscle tissue was destroyed by your cardiac failure thanks to the rapid response of your on hand physicians. We've done a little stem cell work in the areas that were most severely affected to try to give you a better chance at recovery, they're adapting to becoming cardiac cells steadily. However, you're going to have to make more regular appointments with your doctor and if you see any symptoms.. dizziness.. headaches.. even if they seem a benign or normal occurrence you should check in with us." The man put a stethoscope carefully over the Chairman's chest to listen for any irregularities.

The doctor continued, "You're right now on a regimen of post surgery antibiotics to prevent infection. Try not to move to much to break your stitches. To be on the safe side, we've begun a general cancer screen of most of your tissues for what we can test for. History has taught us these tumors rarely start in the heart, so we're going to be looking for other areas from which the cancer may have broken away. Your brothers and sisters send their regards and best wishes for your recovery. They've sent some flowers and balloons which we will allow into the room once we know you're clear of the worst of your recovery. I'm going to give you something to help you rest better..."

"Dr. Hollahand.." the chairman gasped..

"Yes, Chairman?"

"Thank you."

"Just my duty, Sir." Stated Hollahand, formally a military doctor. He gave a salute. "Get well soon and try to relax a bit. I know that's hard to ask of someone who is as involved as you are in our state's affairs... but right now stress is something you don't need. Put it all...."

Maelstrom drifted to sleep as the drugs kicked in...

".. out of your mind.." Hollahand chuckled.

A representative from the Kingdom of Cochin arrived at the hospital with a message for the Chairman,

"Dear Chairman,

I heard about your health problems. I wish you a speedy recovery. Take rest, for you need it. Then get back to the world stage where you are indispensable. While you are convalescing do enjoy these bars of Toblerone which I am sending you. As far as I am concerned there is no greater cure than a hefty bar of Toblerone Dark chocolate.

Yours,

Rama Varma."

Learning that the Chairman is resting the representative left the message and parcel with the hospital staff to give to him when he awakes.