On naval blockades

Clash

I got naval blockaded for the first time today and it sent me this message:

Message: A naval blockade has been placed against your nation. This blockade will reduce your next tax collection by 3.88%. Together with any previous blockades your next tax collection will be reduced by a total of 3.88%. Any existing peace offers that were on the table have been automatically canceled.

I looked up the rules on blockades and talked it over with the guy blockading me, and they seem like good old-fashioned fun. However, there was a thing I thought of that doesn't really fit in with how blockades work in real wars. I am sure this might have been brought up at some time or other, but because I wasn't there, I shall bring it up now and here anyway.

I propose that a naval blockade at least suspend - if not break - your 5th trade agreement, the one you get for your harbor. Nor should the blockaded nation be allowed to use their harbor for trades until the blockade is either run or lifted.

Doesn't this make sense? If you are getting those resources through your harbor, that once access to that harbor is denied, you lose those resources? I think that's a pretty accurate interpretation, though the lengths of which this should be applied could vary. I see two other questions.

Should the trade be broken - or just suspended until the blockade is run or lifted?

Should the blockading nation have the option to confiscate the resources?

It would easier to code if it were just broken, and easier overall, sure. In real blockades the ships don't always leave though, sometimes they just sit out there waiting for the blockade to be lifted. Also in real blockades, the other nation's ships usually aren't confiscated unless the blockading nation is at war with the owner of the resources. Yet perhaps the option should be there anyways.

The default position is a blockade just breaks the trade agreement and prevents the blockaded nation from using their harbor until it's lifted, but that's a pretty logical conclusion.

I'd agree, the navies now in TE are pretty useless, the ability to block a trade would be cool. It also gives the trade partner more iniative to defend the blockaded nation .However, how do we decide which if the 5 trades get blocked?

I'd agree, the navies now in TE are pretty useless, the ability to block a trade would be cool. It also gives the trade partner more iniative to defend the blockaded nation. However, how do we decide which if the 5 trades get blocked?

Yeah, navies are useless, but precious few people bother with the.

As to your question in bold, make it random.

• 4 weeks later...