Combating the river Lethe

Subtleknifewielder

Many years ago...

He woke in stages. The first thing he noticed was the sound of water lapping against a solid surface. That and the rocking motion, the next thing he noticed, indicated that he was probably on a boat of some kind. He fellt slightly ill, but somehow he knew it had nothing to do with the rocking motion. His head hurt, for one thing, not his stomach, so unless he'd slipped and fallen due to the trocking...it had nothing to do with it.

He opened his eyes, then, wishibng he hadn't, immediately blinked them shut once more. The light coming in the window, though in reality dim, was nearly blinding to the overly sensitive organs.

But one thing he'd managed to see was that he was not alone in the room. One other person, who was laying on the floor, was there with him. The young man looked familiar, but he couldn't put a name to his face.

And that wasn't the only thing he couldn't recall. His heart began racing as he realized he didn't know his name. He couldn't recall where he was from. He didn't know where he was going. And the harder he tired to remember, the worse his headache got.

Finally, he decided that, despite the pain, he needed to see more, but when he opened his eyes, the man that had been sleeping was staring him in the face. Before he could stop himself, he blurted out, "Who are you?"

The confused expression on the other's face only served to heighten his own frustration. He felt like he should know this person, and yet he could recall nothing about them.

Finally, they responded. "I'm your borther. Don't you remember?"

He was going to have to take the man's word for it. Honestly, he had no clue, and he shook his head, having no energy to speak once more. But even that shake wore out what little energy he'd unknnowingly built up during the time he was unconscious, and he blacked out once more...

OOC: All right, no posting except in OOC in this thread, except in circumstances which I will detail later. OOC Comments are welcome.

The only people who fully know IC all the events shown in this thread are him and the Lady Protector Sarah Tintagyl.

If you can't figure out who this is about with all that information, I feel sorry for you...

OOC: I ask the Mods that this not be considered a gravedig, because I intend to finish this if it takes me a year.

Also, as I said to everyone else, I welcome any OOC comments. Even from you, Spacingoutman...I saw the comments you made in Sarah's thread Finality. :D

IC: The next time he woke, it was a sudden thing, but not because of any sound or sight...well, not anything from his environment, anyway. A growling noise from the vicinity of the refugee's stomach, along with the accompanying hollow feeling, propelled him from the land of dreams to full wakefulness within a split second.

The man who had greeted him last time was now leaning against the wall of their shared cabin, and finally, his battered memory managed to retrieve one thing...his brother's name.

"Vasily?"

That startled his companion awake, and the man smiled as he realized how he'd been addressed.

"So, you remember my name, Anton?"

His nod made it clear the answer was yes, but the sigh could be explained by the words that followed. "But that's about all. I didn't even know my name until you spoke it. Now, do we have something to eat?"

His brother grinned. With a shake of his head, he commented, "I should have known. You've been asleep for some time. Let's head to the galley, I'm sure they'll have something there."

----

Over the next couple days, he attempted to gain more information about his past. But Vasily was remarkably close-mouthed, and the annoying response Anton got every time he asked was, "You need to get your memory back on your own."

The third day saw them arrive at a port on Australia's northern shore. The day itself was overcast, and as they pouled in, it began raining, heavily, but just as suddenly the rain stopped, almost conveniently when they were ready to disembark.

He was told, upon querrying a dock worker, that they were in Darwin.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

Just as they left the harbor area, the rain began pouring down once more. At least there was not a lot of wind, and it was fairly warm. But being wet, and having nowhere in particular they could go, they were still miserable--it felt like they were soaked not just to the skin, but down to their very bones.

Still, Vasily was confused when, for no apparent reason, Anton collapsed in the middle of the crowded street. The rain dripping off his unkempt hair as he bent he knees to kneel, he reached out his hand to shake the young Anton on the shoulder. "Anton?" When the boy didn't respond, Vasily shouted, this time in his ear. "Anton?" No response, and by now, not only was Anton lying in a puddle, he was in danger of being trampled, or run over by a vehicle.

As quickly as he could, the older brother picked the younger up, carrying the boy as he would a child. Though he was light, the previous few days had been hard for them both, and Vasily staggered even under that little weight. Added to it was, of course, the water that had seeped into their clothing and hair.

But somehow, he managed to get his brother to the relative safety of the sidewalk. He carefully propped Anton up against the side of the buioldiing there, and began accosting one passerby after another.

"Sir, could you..." he bagan in English, knowing that was the most likely language to be understood in foreign territory. But no luck. "Ma'am, please..."he tried again. The woman hardly glanced his way, not even slowing. "Mister..." He had to duck a half-hearted punch that came his way when he tried to tap a passing soldier on the shoulder.

However, the soldier, seeing it was only a child (and barely out of childhood himself), immediately apologized, his face displaying his sincerity. "I'm sorry, man. Didn't anyone ever tell you not to startle a trained member of the military?"

Just as the soldier began turning away, Vasily recovered his speech, relieved that his first guess was correct--he'd been addressed in English. "Normally I wouldn't sir, but something is wrong with my brother." He indicated the small form propped up against the building, obviously a restaraunt now that he was back far enough to read the sign. "I need to get him to a clinic or hospital."

The soldier stared hard at the huddled form...so bedraggled it hardly looked human. Vasily almost swore he saw tears in the soldier's eyes, but that could just as easily have been the pouring rain. Finally, after what seemed an eternity, the soldier sighed.

"Fine." Before Vasily could react, the soldier strode forward, handing off his rifle to the refugee and picking up the limp boy.

"Follow me," he stated.

Vasily meekly complied. "Sir, thank you," he said, carefully cradling the gun.

The soldier smiled. "Think nothing of it. By the way, I'm Davies. Lietenant Westly Davies. What's your name?"

"Vasily--" he almost blurted out his real last name, but there were certain people who didn't like that man, enemies. he had n way of knowing that his father had crushed the rebellion. "--Harlem," he finished.

"And that's my brother, An-Anthony." he wasn't sure how he could explain the hesitation zshould Westly ask...but he was greatly relieved when no query was forthcoming.

OOC: Seriously, I welcome comments. Is it good? Bad? OK?

• 2 weeks later...

They finally made it to the hospital, after the soldier had stood in the middle of the street and commandeered the first vehicle that stopped. The driver protested vociferously, but when she was informed that she would be compensated, it quited to a dull grumble.

The grumble vanished entirely when she looked more closely at the bundle Davies was carrying in his arms, and when they pulled up in front of the hospital, she refused to give the soldier her name. "I don't need compensation after all," she stated firmly. She noted vasily slumped in the back seat. "You look like you could use some care yourself, boy," she said gently.

Vasily was too tired to argue as she helped him out of the car, propping him up as they followed Davies, who was still carrying Anton.

----

"Name of patient?" the orderly asked, even as nurses rushed the two boys off to be checked.

Davies answered. "The older one is Vasily Harlem, and his younger brother is Anthony."

The orderly noted this on his clipboard. "Are you friends or family?" he asked. The driver shook her head, and Davies replied. "Neither. I think they were refugees. I commandeered this woman's vehicle to get them here."

'If they are refugees," interjected the woman, "then we will have to stand in for their emergency contacts. Is that all right?"

The orderly looked almost relieved ash he nodded. "I'll need your names and phone numbers, of course..."

The next day, after the hospital deemed him simply malnourished, Vasily was released. The woman, who revealed her name as Emily Greene, managed to persuade him that he wouldn't do his brother any good by staying and wearing himself out to the point of his death. Davies promised to stay and watch over Anthony, and to call at the first sign of the boy waking.

As she left with a hand firmly on his shoulder, she was telling him that the first thing she was going to do was fix him a good meal, to make sure he put on some weight.

Davies smiled as the door closed behinds him--the teen was in good hands. He turned his attention back to his ward. The Doctors said he had mild head trauma, and his body temperature was a little lower than it should be, but it was nothing serious, and he should wake up sooner or later on his own.

----

It was dark...and cold. But he couldn't take the time to notice that--he was too busy running from an unseen menace. Full of terror, he neverhteless stopped to look behind him only for a moment, but whatever was threatening him was never completely clear, though each time it seemed to get closer...

----

Three days later

"Look, Miss Greene, I appreciate what you've done for me, but I need to go see my brother. He's going to panic if he doesn't see a familiar face."

Emily sighed. "If you're sure," she sighed, finishing the sandwich she was making before slipping the knife into the sink and grabbing her keys from the hook by the door. "Well, come on," she said, gesturing to the teen who was standing there. "What, you thought I would let you simply walk there alone?"

He shook his head wordlessly, following her out the door. he was silent as she started the car, and as she pulled out of the driveway onto the street.

"Just out of curiosity," she said as they stopped at the stop-sign, waiting for a break in the traffic to turn. "Why will he panic?"

He almost didn't asnwer, but just as they merged with traffic, he spoke. "He had almost no memory left when he woke the first time on the boat."

Emily nodded. "I see. I can understand that then. Did--"

She didn't get to finish her sentence. They were just going through a traffic signal, when their car was rammed from the passenger side by an oncoming semi, tossing it like a kid kicking a ball.

• 2 weeks later...

At the hospital, Anthony woke with a vengeance, screaming incoherently as if being chased by the hounds of hell.

--------

Emily Green was in shock. She knew this, absently, though it all seemed like a dream gone bad. By some miracle, the care wasn't completely destroyed, but she put her hand to her head, and it came away with a sticky red substance. Blood. She blinked, glancing to the side at her passenger, and her blood ran cold.

Fumbling in her purse, the woman tried to retrieve her cell phone from her purse, but her shaking hands couldn't seem to grasp it. In her dazed state, the phone seemed almost a living thing, squirming in its best effort to get away from her.

Some sense she couldn't define made her glance up--she saw a man, his face equally shocked, lean out the window of the semi-truck, before it raced away from the scene. As she began to black out, she thought she could just make out the sirens.

'Too bad they are too late for him," she thought sadly, her head dropping to the steering wheel as consciousness fled...

"Where am I?" Anthony frantically asked, before remembering that the ship he and his brother were on had docked in Darwin. But that brought another question. Where was Vasily?

"Where's my brother?" he asked the nurse who'd rushed in at his original outburst. Seeing that he was calm, the woman smiled.

"I'm told he and the woman taking care of him called a few minutes ago, and that they are actually on their way now." This calmed her patient still further, though he couldn't throw off one tiny, nagging feeling of doubt.

--------

That doubt was amplified when a man in a police uniform entered his room an hour later.

"Son, are you Anthony Harlem?" He opened his mouth to say no, but then realized his brother must have lied about their names, and if he'd done that, it must have been for a good reason; he simply nodded. "I'm sorry to inform you that your brother is dead, and the woman who was driving him is critcally injured." The sad look on the officer's face could not hope to match the grief and loss that Anthony felt. he screamed, a scream at the universe. 'Why me?' he demanded of any deity that deigned to listen. 'First my memory, now my brother. Why?!'

He was still railing in his head when a doctor he had not seen enter dosed him with a sedative for his own safety.

--------

Outside the hall, an anonymous orderly looked into the room from across the hall, smiling mysteriously. His master would be most pleased with what he had seen.

The next morning, when the nurse came to check on Anthony, she found his bed empty. Seeing as Emily Greene was still in critical condition, Lieutenant Davies was called, but he hadn't seen the boy. Even if he had, Anthony wouldn't have known him anyway, as the young refugee had been unconscious the whole time.

----

The next time Anthony was aware in the slightest, it was not in the hospital, though he was still in a bed. It was actually more comfortable than the hospital, so the change didn't immediately register. His eyes drifted open a fraction of an inch, then closed once more. It was a full half-hour before the sedative wore completely off, and his body allowed him to fully wake.

Now the change in surroundings registered in the boy's mind, and he shot uppright in bed, though he regretted that momentarily as a wave of dizziness hit him. One does not rise that quickly after so long asleep without any side effects. Blood takes time to get to where it needs to be.

After blinking off the effects, the young man stared curiously, and with a mild sense of alarm, at the luxury surrounding him...

"Ah, you're awake." He jumped like a frightened rabit at the sound of the voice, his head whipping around to face the shadowy figure silhouetted against the wall, a shadow across their face meaning he was unable to see it...

"Who...what...where am I?" Anthony finally managed to force out, after frantically trying to recover his speech.

"No need for alarm, my young friend," the man in the corner stated calmly, reassuringly. his tone unconsciously prompted the boy to relax.

"You've been through quite an ordeal. I'm told you you have little memory of who you are...and your brother, the only link to your past, is gone."

Now instead of fear, Anthony felt sorrow, and no little rage. But he forced the tears down...no point in showing this weakness to the man here. "Yeah, so?" he stated roughly, trying to convey that he was annoyed.

"No need to hide your rage, Anthony. I know how you reacted in the hospital." Now Anthony openly stared, this time in shock. "What if i told you I could help you find the man responsible for your brother's death? What if i could help you get...revenge?"

Anthony's brow furrowed in thought, and his teeth gritted. Finally, he nodded. "I'd say, what are your conditions?"

If he could have seen the smile on his unkown benefactor's face, he would have shuddered.

***Three months later***

His head hit the floor hard. The boy could swear he saw stars.

"You'll have to do better than that if you want your revenge, Anthony," said his benefactor from the sidelines. He still did not know the man's name, though by now the face was no longer a mystery. It was a handsome face by most standards, and even the scar that ran from the man's nose to his left eye didn't mar those features.

But one thing did--the decidedly cruel expression it always seemed to wear.

Anthony had no time for musing, as his current opponent stomped toward him. A towering six foot six and more than 200 pounds, fighting this man was no laughing matter. If it hadn't been for the padding he wore, he might have had some critical injuries by now.

The giant of a man swung a sledgehammer fist toward his head, aiming to do what had been done last time, but it was not a repeat. This time, Anthony's head was no longer there. Anthony was not where he had been--he'd actually slid unedr the man's open legs to come up behind him. While he was confused, Anthony kicked him in a place no man enjoys being hit.

His opponent crumpled like a tin can, and the sound of clapping could be heard from the corner. "Excellent. Soon you'll be ready to learn how to use weapons..."

***Three more months***

"Touche," his sparring partner said, bowing and returning the sword to its sheath. "You have nothing more you can learn from me, my young friend...look out!" Right then the lights went out, followed moments later by the dimmer emergency lights.

Anthony whirled, without conscious thought the knife in its sheath at his wrist springing into his hand. In a blure of motion, he flipped it and threw toward the shadowy outline of a human. it embedded itself firmly in the target, but instead of the sound of steel slicing through flesh, the noise he heard was mor akin to a thud. For a single moment, he was left puzzling this, then the lights came back on, and he saw the target was a wooden one, cut in the shape of a human. It was embedded where the eye had been.

As always, when he seemed to be doing well, the noise of his benefactor clapping came from a corner, where he had been previously unseen. "You may go," he said to the fencing master. The man bowed and departed.

Like a father would with a child he was proud of, he layed a hand on Anthony's shoulder. "You have been doing well. You have learned all you need to. Are you ready to take your revenge?" Anthony blinked, then adopted an expression that could be described as half-smile, half-snarl.

"Yes."

Stanley Trent sighed as he sat in his living room chair. The day had been a hard one--and he was looking forward to some rest. He just hoped he could get it tonight...slowly, his eyes began to droop. it felt like lead weights were dragging them down, and he didn;t really want to struggle to keep them open anyway...

He woke with a start, adrenaline burning away every trace of weariness. He couldn't define what had woken him, he just knew instinctively that whatever it was, it meant his life was in danger.

He scrambled to reach for the gun in the dresser by his chair, but before he could retrieve the weapon, his chair tipped forward and dumped him on the floor.

The man scrambled forward to get away from whatever force was behind him, and managed to stand upoin reaching the wall. Instinctively, he flicked on the lights to better see the menace, and he saw...

A boy. Whoever it was, he couldn't be more than 14 or 15 years old.

Despite himself, Stanley relaxed a degree. He couldn't help but feel a little foolsih. Imagine, being scared of a teenager when they didn't even have any weapons! But the expression on the boy's face was still troubling. It was full of anger, and venom. For some reason, this boy absolutely despised him.

"What do you want?" was the first thing that sprang to Stanley's mind. Despite himself, he felt annoyed, and it showed in his expression.

"You killed my brother, my only means to regaining my memory. what do you think?"

His eyes widened as he recalled that day six months ago...and before he could react, he found himself on the floor, in pain from several blows he'd never seen coming. Somewhere, the boy had gotten a knife, and it was poised at his throat.

"Who sent you?"

Anthony barely had enough presence of mind to say a single word--Shadow. The man's eyes widened in fear. "But I was or--"

The hand that held the knife was trembling--Anthony so wanted this--but he couldn't make himself do it. he stepped back, the knife falling from his limp fingers as he backed away, ending up next to the dresser.

Stanley didn't waste the opportunity, not bothering to finish his sentence and, grabbing the knife and lunging. Without conscious thought, Anthony reached into the open drawer to retrieve the gun, aimed, and pulled the trigger--all within a second.

• 2 weeks later...

But of course, it wasn't that simple. The gun misfired. Instead, Anthony had to react quickly to avoid getting stabbed. He threw the dead weight of the gun at Stanley, then ducked, still getting a mild cut along his hairline for his pains.

Stanley went 'oof' as he collided with the dresser, and Anthony scuttled away under his legs while Stanley was still recovering.

"That was a mistake," the boy said flatly, as his opponent turned to lunge again. This time Stanley saw the wrist flick that brought a knife to Anthony's hand, though the knife was a blur as it flashed across the distance between them--and into his leg. He collapsed--the knife he was holding accidently finding a way between his ribs, and he gasped as the world suddenly went cold.

As Anthony turned him over to see his face, he mouthed three words. "Please kill me..."

Anthony's hand trembled as he took the knife out...but it was steady enough to fndt Stanley's heart.

----

At the exact moment of Stanley's death, Anthony's still-mysterious sponsor urst in through the door. "Sorry I didn't get here sooner," he gasped as he visibly tried to catch his breath. "I didn't think you would go after him right away. So..." he panted, "I see you managed to kill him.

Expressionless, Anthony turned to face him. "Actually, in a way, he killed himself." Then the first hint of an expression displayed itself--a pained smile. And he released a short giggle, morbidly amused at his own comment. The giggle turned into hysterical laughter.

The man who'd enabled all this simply stood there, an amused smile of his own playing across his lips, as Anthony lost himself in that moment...

OOC: Epic. Finally we know a little more about your mysterious leader.

OOC: Glad you like it...that's the idea. :)

IC: The shadow finished filing the report. In his own mind, at least, since he had intended for the boy to go after Mr. Trent, it was considered the first mission. Trent had been considering leaving the organization with valuable information, so his death in this killed several birds with one stone.

The official report he filed for the President's eyes only simply stated the planned defection, and the fact that the potential leak had been taken care of.

========

Anthony was not sure how he felt about what had happened. He should have been horrified at what he had done, and perhaps he was, but he didn't know his feelings well enough to determine that for certain.

To his surprise, he had felt no satisfaction in gaining revenge, but the analytical portion of his mind told him he'd done well against a man probably twice his age, though he could satill have done better.

But why had he laughed?

No one and nothing answered him, only the howling of the windstorm outside.

========

"Anthony, I have a mission for you. There's a mobster that's been gathering blackmail material on several key public figures, and he needs to be taken care of quietly. He and his guards won't suspect a teenager. Will you do it?"

Anthony stared for as few seconds before nodding...

***Mission #2***

It only took a month for Anthony to work himself high into the ranks, as a trusted courier. With his knowledge of self-defense, he was able to thwart more than one attempt at interference with his deliveries--twice from local law enforcement agencies.

Even the boss himself, obviously not normally a man to take anyone into his confidence, trusted him. To his very brief regret before he died.

The second time Anthony killed someone, it was easier, though this time, it was painful for different reasons...this person had trusted him. It didn't stop him from leaving a plastic dagger near the body as a token of what he'd done. When he left, the files with the blackmail material were nothing but ashes on the floor, any computer backup already transferred to disk as his mentor had requested.

When he returned 'home,' he handed them off to the man without question, as he had been asked to do, and retired to his room. he stared at the ceiling for an hour before finally drifting off into a cunfused, near terrifying jumble of dreams...

• 2 weeks later...

***Mission #3--beginning***

This one was...different. The other two had required him to kill someone--this time he simply had to get close to someone. A woman suspected of being a 'middle-man' for a lot of less than legal deals on the street. Even without the inccome that must have come from that, she was independently wealthy--if she was what she was suspected of being, she did it more for the thrill than anything else.

He had to look the part, though, so he was dressed in suitable clean though plain clothing, and dumped at the servant's entrance. They needed a new worker in the kitchen, and he was going to do his best to get that spot...

***Mission #3--Continued***

"So, what can you do, dear?" the kitchen mistress asked. Anthony offered a shy smile.

"I can cook a little--though I am a fast learner, so it won't be long before I can cook much more ably than I can now. And I am perfectly willing to clean in the meantime--scrub pots and pans, mop floors, all that."

She stared at him curiously. He seemed earnest enough. "Tell you what. The kitchen is a mess right now. If you're able to clean it by the end of the day, the job's yours."

At the end of the day, the job was his--he was used to back-breaking work by now anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Anthony knew he couldn't afford to remain in the kitchens forever, but he also couldn't avoid to draw the wrong kind of attention. No, the best way was to continue to work his hardest.

During the next week, he demonstrated that his claim to be a quick learner was no idle boast, and soon he was promoted away from simple cleaning duty.

----

His real break came about a month into the employment. He'd waited in the kitchen, adopting an anxious expression as he waited to see what the mistress of the house had thought of the meal he'd prepared--the head cook had given him free reign to do as he saw fit, and he had not wasted the opportunity.

Then, in the middle of the cleaning, another servant entered the kitchen, beckoning to him. "The mistress would like to see you, please."

Blinking as if in shock, he followed the man wordlessly. This was the first time he'd been anywhere else but downstairs, and he couldn't help gawking at the exquisite furnishings above--what floor that wasn't covered in lush carpeting shone in the soft light that came from crystal chandeliers above, and he stopped just for a moment to study the beutiful patterns in the marble. But he started when the servant cleared his throat, hurrying on, and following up another flight of stairs, into a room that was, if possible, even more luxurious than what he had first seen.

A soft tune came from the grand piano to one side, and he could just barely make out red hair on top of the player's head. But that was not who he had been summoned to see. He kept his eyes respecfully lowered as he turned to face the mistress of the manor.

"You wanted to see me, Mistress?"

"Look me in the eye," she startled him with her first command. He did so without protest, though with no small degree of trepidation, and his grey eyes met her green. She studied him for a full minute before speaking again, and he had to resist the urge to shuffle his feet nervously. His eyes widened in fear as she approached, standing directly in front of him.

"Not only an excellent cook, but a handsome figure, I see." He couldn't help but blush. "The kitchen mistress tells me you're a fast learner."

Suddenly she reached out and gave him a shove. he had to suppress his instincts to fight back, but he did manage to recover his footing quickly. "An excellent sense of balance, too."

She nodded her approval, and she called to the person playing the piano.

"Roselyn, come out here, please. I think I found you a partner for your dance lessons."

Anthony's eyes widened as one of the most beautiful girls he'd ever met stood up from behind the piano and walked out to meet him. He immmediately noticed the similarity in appearance to the older woman--the vivid red hair, the brilliant green eyes, the small, almost perfect nose, and almost delicate-looking cheekbones. And she had a freckle on the tip of her nose that made her all the more endearing.

And, of course, she was just as pale in complexion. Considering the age difference, they must have been...

"Yes, Mother," came the soft, almost musical reply. So he was right. Mother and daughter. Roselyn studied him curiously, and self-consiously, he averted his dark, grey eyes from her own, letting his loose, black hair obscure his gaze even further. While she was dressed in the finest of linen and lace, his own uniform was, by necessity, rough and stained. he felt his cheeks growing bright red--surely there was no comparison between them. She was by far a better sight than he must be.

"Hello. What's your name?" her voice was as beautiful as the rest of her, and he cleared his throat before speaking nervously. He still refused to look her in the eye. "A-Anthony H-Harlem, Miss."

"Why won't you look me in the eye, Anthony?" He heard a soft gasp from her mother, and he hunched his shoulders, dreading having to respond to that.

But her mother answered for him. "Because he knows a servant's place, Roselyn. Though he will have to look you in the eye when you're dancing. And we'll need to find better clothes for him too..."

That just made him feel worse...

This was moving much more rapidly than anyone had ever anticipated. A month was quick beyond even the expectations of his master, whom he quietly notified via a dead-drop contact point.

The orders remained unchanged, of course, but this new development was an excellent way to ingratiate himself with the family.

The very next day was the fitting for his new set of clothes. He shouldn't have been surprised, but he was, that it all took place within the manor. This place was run almost like a kingdom in miniature. Definitley a more old-fashioned way.

That tickled something in the back of his mind, some forgotten memory that he could not recall clearly. He had been someone important, he knew, and yet his family had never condoned frivolous spending. Further recall became more and more elusive the harder he tried to grasp it; it was especially frustrating for someone posessing such a sharp memory as his...

• 2 weeks later...

As he entered, feeling uncomfortable in the new clothes, he heard the faintest hint of

start up.

"Ah, good, punctuality is another excellent quality you seem to possess, I see."

Already he was watching his feet--"And while you're in this room, at least, you'll need to act the part of a nobleman."

He forced himself to look up, and meet her gaze. His cheeks tinged pink, and the blush grew deeper when he saw Roselyn was present.

"Now, approach her and bow. Ask her to dance."

----

If he'd thought that had been a blush before, it was nothing compared to the redness of his face when he'd had to actually touch the girl.

So why, instead of feeling relieved, did he have an odd sense of regret when the lesson was over?

Over the next two weeks, he puzzled over that fact, though he didn;t allow it to interfere with his new duties. Which, aside from helping her to learn how to dance, were mainly to serve as a companion and somewhat of a chaperone for Roselyn. Though really, they were never alone--if her mother wasn't there, there was always a maidservant present wherever they went.

He had just settled into the new routine when a jarring incident shook them out of it...

At first, it was a simple walk. Roselyn seemed to enjoy walking out in the city, so this was nothing new. But then she stopped. Thery had just passed an alleyway, when there was movement within it. Without a second thought, Anthony threw hgimself against her, knocking her to the ground as a shot rang out.

A brief check confirmed she was fine, and then he was off in pursuit--not that it was long. The alley was a dead end. but yet, the assailant was out of sight. growling in frustration, he circled iin place, trying to figure out how or where they might have hidden, when he heard a scream.

Again without thought, he raced back up the alley, knocking aside the assailant that finally appeared out of a door that he hadn't seen before and pushing them into a wall, hopefully stunned.

He saw one man holding Roselyn, and another holding the female servant that had accompanied them...

Without conscious thought, the boy reacted to the assault from behind, grabbing the wrist of his attacker and, despite being outweighed, throwing him to the ground hard in front of him.

The man slammed into the ground with an audible thud, and his eyes widened as he tried to breathe, but for the moment, couldn't.

Anthony noted that it was the man he'd thought stunned, even as he delivered a kick that knocked him out for good.

The men holding the girls eyed him warily--at least until the maidservant stomped violently on the instep of the man holding her. Cursing, he let her go, and Anthony used the distraction of that and her scream to close on the other man.

He just barely kept himself from killing anyone--he knew doing so would raise too many questions. As it was, Roselyn would surely want to know how he had done that. He briefly pulled aside the maid as they arrived home, asking her to not gossip about any of it, and she nodded reluctantly. "Aye, the mistress would not like it if'n she found out."

----

He hadn't been wrong. That night, just as he was getting ready for bed, he heard a soft knock on his door. He'd been given his own room on the second floor, a sign of how much he was trusted in the household, so it couldn't be just anyone.

When he peeked out the door, he was thankful he hadn't yet gotten around to removing his pants.

"Where--" came the quiet voice, before he reached out and pulled the girl into his room.

"Do you realize what people will think if they see you hovering outside the room of a servant?" he asked Roselyn.

She blushed faintly pink at the suggestion, but the smile didn't disappear. "Let them think what they want," she said, waving off his concern. "What i want to know is--" here it came "--will you teach me how to defend myself?"

Anthony blinked. That had been the last question he had been expecting, and he opened his mouth, intending to say no, or ask her how it would be practical...and found himself saying yes, yes, he'd do it. "Now you really need to get back to your room, Mistress."

She made as if to go, but before Anthony could react, she reached out to place her hand on his cheeks, pulling him forward to give him a kiss.

He stiffened in shock, but it was over almost before it began. He mouthed 'why?' nut was unable to actually voice it.

"For saving my life, today," she answered.

It was at least one in the morning before he was able to settle his mind enough to sleep...