News from The Nation of Selenarctos

iKrolm

[b]Public:[/b]

Following an attack on Selenarctos soil by military elements of the Dark Mark, the government of Selenarctos does hereby withdraw recognition of the Dark Mark. Citizens, ships, and aircraft of Dark Mark are hereby forbidden from entry to Selenarctos. Ownership of property in greater Manila by Dark Mark citizens or corporations is suspended with the national government assuming ownership until items in question may be sold on an open auction. Citizens of the Dark Mark currently in Selenarctos have twenty-four to exit the country or face penalty of law. Dark Mark military vessels or aircraft entering Selenarctos waters or airspace will be shot down on sight.

Signed,
[i]Abo Raya[/i], Chief of Staff

Edited by iKrolm

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='iKrolm' timestamp='1357250352' post='3070999']

Following an attack on Selenarctos soil by military elements of the Dark Mark, the government of Selenarctos does hereby withdraw recognition of the Dark Mark. Citizens, ships, and aircraft of Dark Mark are hereby forbidden from entry to Selenarctos. Ownership of property in greater Manila by Dark Mark citizens or corporations is suspended with the national government assuming ownership until items in question may be sold on an open auction. Citizens of the Dark Mark currently in Selenarctos have twenty-four to exit the country or face penalty of law. Dark Mark military vessels or aircraft entering Selenarctos waters or airspace will be shot down on sight.

Signed,
[i]Abo Raya[/i], Chief of Staff
[/quote]TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

The nation of the Dark Mark respects your opinions and wishes your nation nothing but the best. Currently we are not in a position, leadership and economic, to fight a war succesfully. We do not plan to bother you. The attack on Selencartos soil was a attack on a seperate elader which was nessacary for the soveriegnity of both of our nations. She was a power hungry tyrant who only wanted power and nothing more. Her goal of world domination would destroy both me and you. Whether your an ally or a enemy, you would not stand in her way. We hope that the attack was a wakeup call to her and her nation. We hope you reconsider as we are currently in a state of peace and wish to keep it that way.

Sincerely, Thomas Yesnef-Riddle - Secretary of War

At this time the government of Selenarctos announces that is has lost contact with the People's Republic of Sumatra and Borneo. Elements of the 102nd Selenarctos Peacekeeping Force Mechanized Division are attempting to restore contact right now, but if unsuccessful the 102nd through 104th SPF Mechanized Divisions already in country will activate to restore order and return the region to a protectorate zone of Selenarctos. The Selenarctos branch of the White Cross will coordinate humanitarian aid to areas that need it ans work with the SPF to ensure basic services are restored.

Following closely on yesterday's news from the PRo Sumatra and Borneo, the SPF announces that elements of the 106th SPF Mechanized are investigating Avalon following an extended period of silence. If the government of Avalon has indeed fallen, the 106th SPF Mechanized shall deploy to restore order and coordinate humanitarian aid with the White Cross and incorporate Avalon into the Pacific Protectorate Zone.

"Given the well-intentioned efforts by Selenarctos, Greater Colombia stands ready to assist in efforts to maintain law and order alongside its Asiatic counterpart in the Eastern Pacific. Greater Colombia is attempting to contact Avalon government officials in the Galapagos Archipelago, and will respond if needed."

[i]Lorenzo Barrachos[/i]
[b]Foreign Minister of Greater Colombia[/b]

[b]Reply from SPF General Ferdinando Valenzuela:[/b]

The Galapagos Islands and Easter Island are much closer to Colombia than they are to available SPF units. If you can provide assistance to these islands, I will save my men the travel time and deploy them where they are needed elsewhere instead.

Edited by iKrolm

[quote]Dispatch:

Tianxia would like to inquire of trusteeship over the Avalon Islands next to Hawaii, immediately West of our South Pacific territories, and Tianxia's Indian Ocean Territories.[/quote]

OOC: Those small chunks out there real close to my land and away from most of the stuff.

[quote name='iKrolm' timestamp='1357411843' post='3071712']

Following closely on yesterday's news from the PRo Sumatra and Borneo, the SPF announces that elements of the 106th SPF Mechanized are investigating Avalon following an extended period of silence. If the government of Avalon has indeed fallen, the 106th SPF Mechanized shall deploy to restore order and coordinate humanitarian aid with the White Cross and incorporate Avalon into the Pacific Protectorate Zone.
[/quote]

OOC: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=114393#entry3064813

Last post was on the 16th, 25 days is January 10th.

IC: "We appreciate the inquiry of our allies and other neighbors but we are still most certainly alive. For the time being." - Michael Atrevier, Councilor Superior of Avalon

An early afternoon rain shower was passing through as the presidential A320 returned to Manila, marking the end of President Romero's world tour. A solid, if modest, success is a noteworthy in the world of politics, and the President's staff exhibited an exhausted jubilation on board the plane as it touched down, bouncing once and rolling smoothly the rest of the way down the runway. A short taxi to the terminal--the aircraft controllers routed PR001 through ahead of other planes--and the plane's engines spun down until only the soft spray of rain was audible outside the metal plane's shell.

President Hygin Romero stood slowly, turning towards the men and women who watched him expectantly. "Well," he began, "For once, I'm at a loss for words. We've been around the world together and I could not have asked for better company. Ed," Romero nodded to his personal assistant, "I cannot thank you enough for putting up with me throughout what must have been a trying time. Madame Commander Quitana," Romero addressed the commander his presidential security team, "Without your meticulous attention to details this tour never would have gotten off the ground. Same to you, Madame Cintia," Romero turned to his personal scheduler and continued through those present. "But that now we've returned, the hard work begins again. We are faced with a nation divided, a growing economy that requires continuous fostering, and a war half a world away. We have a lot to do, so lets go do it."

Highlights of the speech would be published the next day in the Manila Times and a half dozen smaller media outlets in the greater Manila area by reporters, present in the plane, who faithfully followed Romero through his world tour.

As he disembarked the plane, President Romero was spared the light rain by a last minute change that shrunk his return reception and moved it indoors to the diplomatic reception terminal of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport. A polished and perfectly drilled 16th Mechanized honor guard flanked either side of the terminal as he entered, but no Kampilan sang through air for a returning head of state: instead, Chief of Staff Abo Raya stood opposite the President, solemnly relinquishing power with a shake of the President's hand in the best-photographed moment of Selenarctan history since the death of interim government leader Carlos Burke.

Then both men broke away and the moment ended. The reporters present broke focus, the honor guard cleared way and the rest of President Romero's entourage flowed out from the plane to greet friends and family waiting beyond security checkpoints. In the confusion, President Romero whispered into Raya's ear, "Is she here?"

"No," Raya answered audible only to the President, "She's waiting for you in the Capital Building."

"Very well," the President answered, waving once more to the cameras before descending down a flight of steps to an underground garage connected to diplomatic terminal. There, under a bank of fluorescent lights, a platoon of presidential security team soldiers stood at attention, fully geared in SCUs and gas masks. Behind them awaited the president's motorcade: three armored limousines with a Terrex armored personnel carrier at either ends.

"Been a few changes?" President Romero remarked sideways to Commander Quitana.

"SelCom believes the Luzon Free Territory is training infiltration teams alongside their new militia. We're upgrading capital security in response, so expect a few more changes to come."

"Hell, why not replace my limo with a refitted Terrex too while you're at it?"

"That's... Not a half bad idea, Mr. President."

"Course it isn't," President Romero regretted mentioning it already. The assembled soldiers saluted as he approached and broke apart into three squads once he passed, one occupying each APC and the third moving towards the door. President Romero entered the middle limousine, chosen at random, and the convoy started their engines, heat shimmering from the Terrex's exhaust ports as they warmed up.

In front of the convoy the garage's door opened slowly, sliding to one side like an airlock door and, though he couldn't see it, Romero knew a faint breeze blew past the third squad equalizing the higher pressure of interior filtered air with the humid, dirty Manila air.

Edited by iKrolm

The rain fell unabated as the President's convoy drove from the airport through downtown Manila to the capital building. The intervening streets had been cleared of the usual traffic jam of cars but people were as dense as ever, walking quickly and barely glancing out from under their umbrellas as they passed. Police types clearing a street was not an uncommon occurrence nor, lately, were military vehicles on the road as first the Army reconsolidated it's forces around greater Manila and the 1st Mechanized moved men and equipment to the Arabian peninsula.

Though it was only mid-afternoon, the scene was further obscured by the dim lighting as if dusk was arriving early, the result of a dense cloud layer over Manila's pollution and particulate debris from a rapid expansion of heavy industry and lax emission laws in the region. The President's limousine had Bulldog's military-grade air filters that kept interior air fresh and particulate-free, but the pedestrians outside were not so lucky. Most wore simple surgery masks over the faces in a vain attempt to keep the heavy metals at bay but some, the richer or more health conscious perhaps, sported Precision Tactical's [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=65408&st=140#entry3018602"]Respro and CAS masks[/url]. Clinically proven to prevent dangerous particulates from reaching the lungs, those individuals could rest easy knowing they and their families were protected against lung cancer and all sorts of other hazards. At least, that's what the ads said.

"Welcome back, Mr. President," the limousine driver chimed in as the motorcade cruised past security checkpoints and into the Capital Building garage--larger than, but not unlike the airport garage. President Romero disembarked the vehicle to find a Lieutenant of the presidential security team waiting for him.

"We've cleared the fourth floor per Chief Raya's orders, sir," The lieutenant spoke clipped, professional English and President Romero suspected he'd been recruited from the 16th Mechanized.

"She's already there?"

"Yes sir, she requested a conference room and she's there along Mr. Valdes and five of her mercs. No cameras obviously, but I put her in a thin room and I've got a tech monitoring from the next room with millimeter backscatter radar. If anything goes wrong while you're in their, we'll gun her men down right through the walls."

"Very good Lieutenant, I'll take it from here." President Romero walked alone through capital halls, bright fluorescent lights standing in stark contrast to the dull light from the windows he passed. Outside, the rain picked up pace, occasionally sounding a volley of taps on the windows as a gust of wind caught it. Just around the corner from the conference room, out of sight if the door had been open, Romero passed a squad of his presidential security team armored and waiting. The squad sergeant gestured to the conference room door as he passed and he nodded acknowledgement back without breaking stride.

President Romero grasped the door handle, resisting the urge to look around or behind him before opening it. Inside the uneven lights caused a moment of disorientation. The conference table in the center of the room sat brilliantly illuminated. At one end, the end opposite of Romero and the door, sat a Filipino women just beginning to show traces of age. The rest of the table was empty.

"President Romero, thank you for coming," she said, standing up.

"Madame Arellano, a pleasant surprise to see you here. As you, Mr. Valdes and Mr. Raul. General Farias is still in Davao City, I presume?" Romero returned and greeted the two men standing on either side of Pacita Arellano, half shrouded in the darkness. General Farias of the 2nd Mechanized would not be permitted to enter greater Manila if he tried, as all in the room knoew. Further behind Pacita and just coming into focus as Romero's eyes adjusted to the light stood four men wearing the pre-SCU uniform of the Selenarctos Ground Force. "Please, there's no need to stand on my behalf."

Only Captain Francisco Raul seemed surprised that Romero recognized him. Former-president Dallas Valdes gave no indication one way or the other and Romero guessed former-Director Pacita Arellano would have disappointed if he hadn't identified the principle players correctly.

"Thank you Mr. President, I am fine," Pacita leaned forward and rested fists on table as she spoke, "I'm sure you must be tired after your long trip. Please make yourself comfortable," Pacita gestured across the table. Romero started to respond, but Pacita wasn't finished. "And what a trip it was. Around the world, meeting foreign dignitaries from many countries. Some useful, some not so much but you put on a good face and carried on anyways. My, my, and now you've returned home to Selenarctos where there is so much work to be done."

Pacita paused, walking slowly around the table at the edge of light and darkness. "But where to begin? You are faced with a nation in turmoil, a people split on arbitrary borders who refuse to stand united, instead splintering themselves off into territories." She stopped right in front of Romero, a terrify passion burning in her eyes. "You need strong leadership to reunite Seleanrctos. You need strong leadership from Manila, you need a strong Central Government to seize Selenarctos and hold it together."

"Madame Arellano, you are correct that Selenarctos needs strong leadership but Selenarctos does no need your leadership." Pacita visibly recoiled at the words, taking a step back into the darkness as Romero continued. "Officially, your term ended when Carlos Burke seized power. Officially, you died that day yet here you are in flesh and blood giving orders like you still warrant a Director before your name. I know that you were in the Command Bunker at the time and escaped assassination, just as I know President Melchoro Diokno arranged the assassination of Mr. Burke, and you arranged the death of President Diokno. Would this hold up in a court of law? No, but as President it does not need to.

"Before I landed, I contacted your husband Madame. He will arrive in Manila tomorrow at an an apartment I have arranged for the two of you. Your son may follow or remain in Australia as he wishes, the choice is his, but you must understand that your retirement is mandatory and will be enforced by all means necessary. From now on every phone call you place and every email you send will be monitored. Your passport will be suspended; you cannot leave greater Manila and your movements in greater Manila be monitored, not by anything as crude as a GPS bracelet for I do not know where you've been, just remember that I know will always know where you are."

Pacita was stunned. The soldiers at the back of the room tensed, weapons half-raised and ready to go the rest of the way if Pacita ordered it. Romero suspected she wouldn't. "Mr. Raul, for you have not truly been a Captain since the Ground Force reformed as the Selenarctos Army. You and the men under your command shall retire to anywhere in Selenarctos at full Army retirement pay. Now I am not Melchoro Diokno so you need not check over your shoulder for the rest of your life, but I will be keeping an eye on you as well.

"And finally, Mr. Valdes. As a public figure both known to be alive and still influential, you will continue to do just as you have done. Make appearances and campaign for causes. You may not contact Madame Arellano--we'll be watching--and any attempts to do so may jeopardize Madame Arrelano's personal security. The presidential security team will continue to provide your personal security as a former President, but you may not leave greater Manila and I will be monitoring you as well. Oh, and one last thing Mr. Valdes, I know a handful of former Intelligence & Analysis operatives have contacted you as Diokno's successor. My staff will take over their cases and handle them from here."

Pacita looked about to speak when Romero finished. Romero didn't let her "This is not an offer you have a say, in I'm afraid. This is a thin room, in case you've forgotten which rooms were which in this building and the walls of a thin room are a single layer of drywall with no intervening pipes or wiring between us and my security team on the other side. If you do not accept, you will not walk out of this room. Your men will not walk out of this room. Mr. Valdes will walk out of this room but will suffer an unfortunate accident in the near future that his security team was unable to prevent. Your husband will never arrive in Selenarctos, and your son will take his own life in grief at the loss of his own parents.

"I am going to leave now, through the door right behind me. As soon as I do, members of my security team will come back into this room to disarm you. Cooperate with them and they'll take you safely to your new homes. Oh, and one last thing Madame Arellano: never walk into a meeting with a government representative again."

• 3 weeks later...

[b]Public News Summary:[/b]

Relations between Greater Manila and the Outer Philippines remain tense since Acting President Valdes ratified the Diokno Resolution and granted the Outer Territories domestic soverignty. While the Greater Manila economy continues strong growth, regional economies in the Outer Philippines have been suffering setbacks with limited access and no support from Manila.

Of the four recognized territories, the Naga City Commonwealth (Southeast Luzon, Capital: Naga City) has seen the worst trouble because the Commonwealth's pre-Diokno Resolution was built upon a foundation of agriculture and fishing but little industry. Although originally in relatively good shape amoung the territories, the Commonwealth's situation changed as exports from Manila became scarcer and more expensive, and the Commonwealth's food production industries struggled to remain competative against rising exports from the Mindanao Territory.

As the Naga City Commonwealth's fall continued unabated, territory elections saw the ousting of Govenor Adam Solenzo, a moderate liberal, and the election of Jackson Garica from Communist Party of Selenarctos. Governor Garcia immediately began developing relations with the Free Philippines and its Govenor Armentario Heredia, a notable member of the National Socialist Party. Governor Garcia's work led to a trade agreement to increase the flow of much-needed manufactured goods to the Commonwealth.

The Free Philippines' industrial base is no match for that of Greater Manila's however, and even the new trade agreement was not enough to turn around the Commonwealth's economy. Finally, in act of desperation, Governor Garcia signed an executive order that nationalized all territory held by companies and corporations registered in Greater Manila without financial compensation. Arguing that these companies held underutilized land and sent profits away to Manila that could help Naga City, Govenor Garcia sold the Commonwealth public on his plan but the Manila corporations were less than impressed.

President Romero (Greater Manila, Selenarctos National Government) immediately critized Govenor Garcia's actions and announced the national government would provide financial assistance to the Manila companies worst affected. The next day, President Romero signed into law trade sanctions that banned all exports and imports from Manila to the Naga City Commonwealth and authorized the coast guard and local police to enforce the new sanctions to the full extent of the law. Private sources suggest that Free Philippines Govenor Heredia disapproved of the nationalization, but the Govenor's office did not release a comment on the matter.

Governor Garcia's nationalization saw two short term results: on the one hand with the Commonwealth government now holding unused land, thousands of people were put to work preparing the land for agriculture, but at the same time stockpiles of equipment ran out and previously-expensive exports from Manila became unavaialble entirely. The Free Philippines did its best to fill the gap, but before long Govenor Garcia issued another executive order: all native industry in the Commonwealth geared towards what Garcia called 'non-essential goods' must immediately begin producing to support the Commonwealth's agricultural development or face nationalization. A few initially refused but Govenor Garcia followed through with ruthless efficiency that other quickly fell in line and, in just a short few weeks, shifted complete control of the Commonwealth's industry out of private investors' hands and into the Govenor's office.

The National Government in Manila has issued an warning against foreign investment in the Naga City Commonwealth and though the President's office declined to comment, a spokesperson said the President continues to watch the situation inside the Commonwealth closely.

OOC: This post goes way back in the timeline and follows upon the 'To Sarif Industries' thread.

She slept for the longest time. In the darkness of a drug-induced sleep entire ages passed for her while mere months passed for the waking world. She remembered little of it: a flash here or a word there, but the occurrences so far apart the might not have happened at all.

She spent the time wandering, traveling aimlessly through the darkness. At times she seemed to be following a path, but it disappeared and reappeared with such frequency that, had she been awake, she would have wondered if it was truly a path at all.

In time, she began to feel the presence of another walking the paths too. She knew by now she followed not a single path but a web of paths, crossing from one strand to the next as her journey continued. She saw him once, out of the corner of her eye, and that was how she knew he was a man but saw no more before he disappeared back into the darkness. She tried to find his path, but could not; it was gone without a trace and, looking backwards, so was hers.

So she continued forwards, walking for another age before he appeared again: a man, she saw by his stature, and this time he saw her too. They stared at each other. He was not tall; neither was she, but he was taller than her. He wore grey and, looking down, so did she. She tried to call to him, but no words came. She could not see his face nor tell his age, shrouded in darkness where he stood. When she took a step forward he stepped back, vanishing into the darkness once more.

From then on she knew she was beings watched. She would not see him again but she knew he was there, somewhere. Watching. Waiting. She felt a link between them, now. Certain paths she knew he had walked recently or that he would walk along them soon. She did not wait for him though, for to do so would let him know she knew and that would break the rules.

Then, one path, on day among the sunless others, she walked down a new path and woke up.

-----

Nicole Alcasid woke slowly, the black shroud over her mind lifting as waking thought patterns struggled to take hold again. The drug-induced sleep left her slowed, her mind unfocused, and her remaining muscles atrophied. Where am I? She did not know. She was lying down. On a bed, she thought. Her eyes were closed--light glowed red through her eyelids but all the effort she could muster would not crack them open. She tried her mouth, but it too refused move. She tried again, harder this time and the blackness came crashing down again.

-----

"She's coming around again," Nicole heard words. She recognized the words and understood them, though she didn't recognize the speaker. Someone was waking up. She was waking up.

She struggled to open her eyes. This time she could, then slammed then shut again as then blinking rapidly in the bright light of the impeccably white and impossibly shiny room that surrounded her. No, the room was not shiny, it was just so bright. Much of her mind was still shrouded in darkness, but she thought she was in a hospital. That would explain all of the equipment, at least, the computers and screens around here, the tubes and wires running towards her. Wires?

"Welcome back to the land of the living, Ms. Alcasid. Do you remember who I am?"

"You…" She stopped. "Fuck." She recognized him and knew the name was there somewhere but, searching as hard as she could, all she remembered was that her her voice sounded different now, somehow. Different than she remembered hearing, like she was listening to a recording of herself. "You're…" She trailed off again, still thinking. "I-- I know it's there, but I can't remember your name. I can't remember anything…" She coughed, shaking then pulling electrodes off of her head and her-- her hair was gone too. Somehow, amidst everything else, that bothered her the most. She couldn't feel it at all and was stopped by a male nurse as she raised a hand to her head.

"Here, let me help you with those," a polite young manspoke to her in English--an Indian, maybe? He didn't look Filipino or Asian, but his professionalism was reassuring as he pulled her arm away from her head, shined a light in each eye and began peeling the remaining electrodes off one by one.

She glanced back at the first man once the nurse finished. "Mr. Apolinario Bonilla at your service," he performed a theatrical half-bow and, now that she had a baseline to compare against, she suspected that he was not a doctor or nurse. "Please don't be alarmed, it's perfectly normal for you to be a little disoriented after being under for so long. The disorientation will pass, and you're memories will come back too though I'm told it may take some time. Do you remember anything at all?"

She closed her eyes thinking, then opened them again. "I am Nicole she," she said slowly. The words sounded alien in her mouth.

"Very good. Anything else?"

Falling! She blinked and it was gone. "No, nothing. You're sure I will remember everything eventually?"

"You never can be sure," the nurse answered, "but your brain scans look good: give it a little time and I wouldn't be surprised if things start coming back. Now if you feel up to it, I'd like you to do few things for me."

"Of course," she answered on reflex without pausing to wonder whether she was up for it or not. Off to the side Apolinario rolled his eyes at the nurse's question. Why?

"Excellent," the nurse continued. "Now please focus on my finger and following without moving your head…"

-----

An hour both later the nurse and Apolinario were gone, leaving her to relax on the bed. Apolinario had explained she'd suffered an accident: fallen from high enough to kill most people. She survived, just barely, and had been in a drug-induced coma for almost three months. Even with the finest medicine in Selenarctos, there was little that could be done but her employer (oddly, Apolinario avoided his name) paid for her to receive treatment in Ceylon, where doctors a decade more advanced than those at home had scooped out half of her insides and replaced them with machines. She was stronger now the nurse told her, never mind that she couldn't move her legs. They weren't turned on yet, so he told her.

She imagined they might be metal, like the Terminator from that movie after Arnold's skin burned off, but they looked perfectly normal to her when she lifted the blankets. A little paler maybe, but otherwise exactly like she remembered. She propped her self up and poked her left knee experimentally, then the right knee: they felt normal, as if nothing had changed but try as she might neither one would move.

Slowly she traced the line up to her waist where a thick bandage began, extending up to cover her stomach. The bandages were clean, but a disturbing number of tubes snaked out from them. Laying back down, it occurred to her that somewhere under the bandage they must have attached the skin from her new legs. Hopefully it wouldn't leave a scar; she remembered hated scars.

-----

Three days later, they activated her legs. "You may feel weaker than you remember," warned a nurse, female this time as she attached a data cable to each leg. "I've tuned them to seventy-five percent of baseline female strength until you get used to them." In an hour of grueling tests between Apolinario and her own pestering, they convinced the nurse to raise the levels to baseline but she would not budge them an inch further: "I'm not even allowed to go this far," he complained, "Most patients are confined to seventy-five percent for the first week, some take even longer."

A week after she woke up, they began experimenting with her eye: Apolinario hadn't mentioned it had been replaced and she hadn't noticed it the hospital bathroom's mirror, but sure enough a few taps on a keyboard by yet another nurse she was off running through through a series of vision tests that made an ordinary trip to the eye doctor seem like a day at the beach. After the visible spectrum came other modes: low-light and IR were neat, but UV washed out other colors and gave her a headache. The nurse muttered something about a neural link compensating for this as he switched her eye back to baseline visible light, but she wasn't sure what he meant. She found out in week two, when they turned on the computer in her head.

At first, it was like an annoying child following her around all the time: talking to her, reminding her of things at inconvenient times and staying silent at others. Once she learned to work with its quirks, the neural link became something else entirely.

At a whim, she could send a thought, a phrase, a line or a picture to the computer and store it like a memory she had perfect control over. If she needed a reminder or a timer, she simply pushed memory and time to the computer. If she had a sudden thought or needed to switch tasks she could store her most recent thought pattern and recall it instantly at later time. A nurse showed her how to store pictures, video and sound from her eye so they could be opened on a computer attached to the back of her neck. Inductive connections near the nape of her neck provided an attachment point without an ugly plug to hide beneath a collar; another neat trick a lab tech told her about. The same tech taught her how to control the heads up display built into her eye, and Apolinario showed her how to send and receive messages with a silent thought to the neural link. Also how to receive orders.

Week three began the physical tests. They unlocked her legs, her lung, her nerves, and made her run. Walking had been hard at first, but she'd learned fast and her new legs were not that different than her old legs, or so she'd thought. Learning the new eye had been harder: the new colors and information overwhelmed her at first, and then the computer had been even harder. Learning to run again was the hardest of all.

A lifetime of reflexes had to be overcome. Before the fall, she knew how fast she could run. She knew how far she could run, how long before she got tired, and how much farther she could run if her life depended on it. She knew how to jump, dance, and swim before, but Apolinario wanted her to run like she'd never run before. Faster, harder, further: she ran a marathon in half the time it used to take her. The next day Apolinario made her run two, each faster than the first. The grueling physical training ran over into the fourth week, then the fifth.

She now weighed nearly 80 kilos: a horrendous weight before, but half of her was metal now and the other half still looked thin and gaunt from the coma. She was denser: she sank like a rock in water, even if she tried to swim. So she learned to swim again, differently now that she couldn't depend on natural buoyancy. With the neural link, she was able to store muscle memory and build reflex faster than ever and before long she could sprint, jump, even dance better than she had ever been able to. Apolinario mentioned that they may begin martial arts training in the seventh week, but the seventh week never came.

Apolinario appeared one day, a worried look on his face. The Sarif staff had moved her from the hospital room where she'd woken up to the 'Independent Wing,' really just another hospital room masquerading as small apartment. She let Apolinario in when he arrived, wondering why he looked different for a second. His clothes, she realized: he wore a business suit from Manila, shoes too: western style like most of the world but different from the local style recognizable throughout Ceylon. Then her infrared eye picked up the outline of a handgun under his jacket. "Make yourself ready to leave in fifteen minutes," he told her, "Take nothing you don't need for the trip, clothing especially. You can pick up a whole new kit in Selenarctos."

"Are we returning to Manila?" He said nothing; his face gave no response either.

The Ceylon streets were in chaos. Not chaos is the classic sense of too many people doing too many different things at once, but the organized chaos when the strictly regimented movement of a hundred million people are reassigned overnight. They were half way to the airport before she learned the Ceylon was no more, structure of corporations that held it together fracturing as they changed focus to the Americas. Out of earshot, Apolinario whispered that the President intended to end the Selenarctos-Ceylon military pact with the transition.

Unlike the streets outside, the airport was true chaos. Diplomatic credentials eventually brought them face to face with a clerk, and an outrageous price tag guaranteed them two seats on the next flight to Mariveles, Selenarctos--through Mumbai. Apolinario didn't relax until they were through gate and the plane was taxiing onto the runway.

The flight to Mumbai was uneventful. The Mumbai airport busy, but less chaotic than Ceylon, and the flight to Mariveles half empty. She fell asleep crossing over the Indian Ocean and found herself once more shrouded in darkness. Before her, a single path lead onwards and she could not look back. Infrared and ultraviolet revealed nothing and her neural link was silent as her surroundings.

She ran. Ran down the path, mechanical legs carrying her forward but no alternate paths offered themselves to her. Only one path, one way forward was open to her now. So she slowed to a walk, then stopped entirely. Waiting. Watching. Listening. She saw and heard nothing, but she still felt his presence. He was out there. Not on her path, and neither her new eye or old could penetrate the darkness to see him, but she knew he was out there. Somewhere, waiting and watching her not out of curiosity for what she might do but as an actor waiting for his queue to enter the stage. They would meet again soon, she felt.

The bump of the plane's wheels touching down in Mariveles woke her from her sleep. Her neural link reported a flight time of five hours and thirty four minutes, nothing abnormal while she slept, everything in order mechanically and biologically. The surreal information bothered her less and less. At times like now, she found it comforting.

"Welcome home," Apolinario spoke as they disembarked the plane. Mariveles was not her home but she knew he meant Selenarctos, not the city. Outside of the airport he handed her a credit card and a handwritten note with an address on it. "Take a taxi to this address. Apartment 203, your card opens the door. Make yourself at home, I'll check in with you soon if you need anything." He paused, glanced around, then slid a hand under his jacket and pulled out the handgun he'd been carrying since they left Ceylon. A thin 9mm, she noted dispassionately, accepting it when he offered it to her. Pulled the slide back and checked it on reflex she didn't know she had, noted a round was already in the chamber and slid it forward again.

"Just in case," Apolinario said watching her, "You know what to do with it." She slid the gun into her bag and looked back at Apolinario saying nothing. "Well, good luck." He looked as if he wanted to say more, then shook his head, turned away and walked away into the crowd outside the airport. Lifting her own bag, Nicole waved down a taxi and handed the driver the card and address. The taxi processed the card immediately and they were off, driving through the streets of Mariveles towards her new home.

Edited by iKrolm

Public Announcement:

In recognition of the many nations that Selenarctos has helped foster through our protectorate zones that have subsequently fallen after declaring independence, the Selenarctos Peacekeeping Force announces a change of policy approved by the President of Selenarctos. Retroactively effective to all deployed units, it is the new policy of SPF troops to remain in country after independence has been granted. SPF troops will no longer take an active role in regional management after a new government is ready, but the will continue to work with the White Cross to ensure humanitarian aid is provided to areas in need and assist with matters of national security and natural disasters if requested by the native government through Selenarctos Command. I believe this is an important step to ensure to provide stability and boost regional development throughout Oceania and the South Pacific.

- General Ferdinando Valenzuela, Commander of the Selenarctos Peacekeeping Force Edited by iKrolm

• 2 weeks later...
Public Announcement:

The national government of Selenarctos is pleased to announce we have successfully completed our efforts to safely clean up Lunar Republic hardware in Earth orbit, on the surface of the moon, and in lunar orbit with the exception of the Lagrange Point 2, which was spoken for Athens and Tianxia after the fall of the Lunar Republic. With the closure of this program, all SPF, Army, and Air Force forces temporarily deployed to space for this operation will be return to Earth in the coming weeks as Selenarctos continues our policy of a demilitarized outer space. Edited by iKrolm

Private, Not Classified:

As part of a force redistribution within the Selenarctos Peacekeeping Force, the 105th SPF Mechanized Division and the 3rd Task Force shall withdraw personnel and equipment from Borneo. The 3rd Task Force shall return to its home port in Selenarctos where it will resume standard peacetime training and operations. The 105th SPF Mechanized shall temporarily be stationed in greater Manila until it is transitioned to a new location. Additionally, the 240th Air Superiority Squadron shall redeploy from Indonesia to the New Guinea Protectorate Zone providing air forces two the New Guinea region and leaving the 239th Air Superiority Squadron to cover the reduced Greater Indonesian Protectorate Zone. Finally, the 103rd SPF Mechanized will withdrawn from the Greater Indonesian Protectorate Zone and establish permanent basing in Selenarctos until they are needed abroad again.

Public Announcement:

With a loss in communication from the government of Pasloe and reports of anarchy in the area, elements of the Selenarctos Peacekeeping Force's 105th Mechanized have been dispatched to assess the situation. The initial elements will be followed by the bulk of the SPF 105th Mechanized and members of the Selenarctos branch of the White Cross to restore order and provide humanitarian aid to those in need.

Public Announcement:

In response to reports of anarchy in Avalon, elements of the 101st SPF Airborne have been dispatched to assess the situation. The 103rd SPF Mechanized is preparing for deployment and will be entering the most former territories and protectorates of Avalon to restore order with the assistance of the Selenarctos White Cross.

Encrypted to Tianxia:

Selenarctos is aware Tianxia has military interests in formerly-Avalon islands around Hawaii. We shall leave the decision of how to handle former Avalon territory in this area up to you.

Encrypted to Columbia:

In pursuance with our prior agreement, Selenarctos shall leave the Galapagos Islands and Easter Island to your jurisdiction. Edited by iKrolm

Public Announcement:

CEO Martin Jairo announced the formation of Electric Horizon, a corporation with the goal to develop and produce commercially available synthetic body parts within the decade. Mr. Jairo proclaimed the company a successor to Sarif Industries of the old Corporate Republic of Ceylon, stating that everyone in the company was behind the goal one hundred percent. The long list of investors backing Electric Horizon include the industrial powerhouse of the Artega Group, Manila-based defense contractor Precision Tactical, Ersch Electronics who supplies the majority of consumer electronic built in Selenarctos, and the national Department of Security. Our estimates place the initial value of Electric Horizon in excess of a hundred million NSC, a staggering amount for a company with no products to its name. Mr. Jairo confirmed top talent from the Artega Group including minds behind the Launch Loop and the Artega Group's advanced manufacturing techniques, and alluded to possessing records and employees from Sarif Industries' final days but did not go into details. Mr. Jairo finished the his press conference this morning stating that Electric Horizon will not be offering a public shares any time in the near future, and that he hoped to develop major in branches in Mariveles and Dinalungan in addition to the company's headquarters in Manila.

-The Manila Times

Classified:

After extended delays, the Selenarctos Aerospace Consortium has finalized the X-111 fighter jet's stealth coating and completed the first two squadrons of the Selenarctos Air Force's newest, most advanced, and most unique jet. The squadrons are based out of Polillo Island in an Air Force base built on the island's western coast, specially designed for the new fighters and camouflaged against aerial surveillance. The Air Force plants to evaluate performance of the first two squadrons of production X-111s before placing an order for more.

supersonic-e-111.jpg

Public:

Earlier today, our military intelligence analysts reported that the government of the Dark Mark collapsed. The 7th Airborne Division already in the Dark Mark has been activated to provide offensive support against remaining hostile elements of the the conflict within the Dark Mark as the 102nd SPF Mechanized Division moves in to restore order and assist the White Cross in providing humanitarian aid to those in need following the Dark Mark's reign of terror. Former territory of the Dark Mark will become a protectorate of Selenarctos until a new government is formed.

Public:

Following closely news of the Dark Mark's collapse, the 102nd and 104th SPF Mechanized Divisions have been activated to restore order in Sumatra and Borneo. The White Cross will coordinate humanitarian aid to the region and provide assistance until a new government is formed.

• 2 weeks later...
Classified:

From a concealed airbase in the Cordillera Central, the Selenarctos Aerospace Consortium demonstrated its first rapid deployment ASD-38 "Warhawk" for Air Force and Army 1st Mechanized commanders. The ASD-38 requires a crew of 2 and can carry twenty soldiers plus gear deep into enemy territory or across oceans at supersonic speeds. Advanced stealth and electronic defense features incorporated into the ASD-38, originally developed for the 6th generation X-111 Air Superiority Fighter, allow the ASD-38 to fly undetected through hostile airspace and return intact. At the present time the ASD-38 must land at a paved runway to disembark troops, but special pressure suits under development by the SAC will allow paratroopers to exit the ASD-38 at supersonic speeds for rapid deployment. The 1st Mechanized has ordered twelve ASD-38s with the option for twenty-four more, and the 101st SPF Airborne has expressed interest in the ASD-38 as well.

warhawk2.png

Public:

Following the collapse of Avalon, the Galapagos Islands and Easter Island were offered to Columbia as a gesture of friendship and a result of discussions with Columbia and Tianxia after a premature attempt to prevent anarchy in Avalon. Today, President Hygin Romero signed an executive order formerly incorporating Easter Island and the Galapagos into Selenarctos' Pacific Protectorate Zone. With this move comes the deployment of Selenarctos Peacekeeping Force (SPF) soldiers to the islands as well as increased humanitarian aid from the White Cross. The Selenarctos Internet Project, which provides high speed internet access to civilians within Protectorate Zones will not be extended to the islands.

Additionally, the Selenarctos Air Force and Navy jointly announced the construction of a small base in the Galapagos Islands. The base will contain resupply and repair facilities for both branches and be used regularly by SPF units moving to and from the islands, but will not support a permanent deployment of fighting vessels or aircraft during peace time.

• 2 weeks later...
Public:

Presently, only the 101st Selenarctos Peacekeeping Force (SPF) Airborne Division and the 107th SPF 'Toxic' Dvision are equipped with the Standard Combat Uniform (SCU) used by the rest of the Selenarctos Armed Forces. This will change shortly, as funding has been approved to train and equip all SPF units with the SCU to improve compatibility and communications between the SPF and other military units. SPF Commander Ferdinando Valenzuela praised the move, stating that "Our Peacekeepers are symbol of hope and stability throughout Oceania and the South Pacific. Sometimes, if the course of our peacekeeping mission, it becomes necessary to place our men in dangerous situations but no longer will they be sent in with anything less than the best protection Selenarctos can provide them." The transition from the older Selenarctos Defense Force uniform to the SCU is expected to take between twelve and eighteen months.

BrasherJungleArmor.png
Standard Issue Jungle Pattern SCU with Air Filter Edited by iKrolm