Basalt and Magnesium imbalanced?

Taishaku

Considering the fact that a nation has to be HUGE to afford these wonders and that all the other resources provide flat income bonuses, does anyone else think that these two Martian resources are crazy overpowered because they provide a percent bonus?

In addition to their imbalanced statistics, these resources benefit infrastructure-heavy tradesets WAYYY too much. Basalt DOUBLES the effect of Construction AND Asphalt while Potassium just gives THREE citizen income for Affluent Population, which is the much harder bonus resource to obtain.

I'm thinking the new bonus resources need to be fixed, changing the flat income bonuses to population and percent income bonuses. In fact, I feel these resources need to be fixed to IMPROVE historically unfavorable resources, a sort of affirmative action for resources. xD

Doing the math, Potassium even without scholar is actually the best what you can get, but it´s not that overpowered.

The difference between Mars Potassium route having FJ and AP compared to Moon with Sillicon or Calcium including 4 earth resources is absolutly marginal.

The difference between Mars Potassium route having FJ and AP compared to Mars with Sodium or Basalt is marginal too.

So no big deal and nothing to complain.

Edited by Steelrat

Doing the math, Potassium even without scholar is actually the best what you can get, but it´s not that overpowered.

How is it better?

Potassium: "Mined from Martian surface. +3 happiness if nation has Fine Jewelry, +$3 citizen income if nation has Scholars, +$3 citizen income if nation has Affluent Population."

This is for an Affluent Population set with Lead for Scholars. Altogether roughly +6 Happiness.

Basalt: "Mined from Martian surface. +3 happiness if nation has Automobiles, –5% infra upkeep if nation has Asphalt, –5% infra purchase cost if nation has Construction."

This is for a heavy industry Construction + Asphalt + Steel + Automobiles set. Altogether +3 Happiness and -5% infra upkeep and -5% infra cost.

Let us do the logic. Both sets use Construction and Steel. The real difference is FJ and AP versus population boosters and Asphalt.

SO HOW IS IT THAT +3 HAPPINESS IS EQUIVALENT TO ROUGHLY A 10% REAL INCOME INCREASE (this is assuming that all income is being used for infrastructure). POPULATION BOOSTERS STOMP INCOME BOOSTERS WHEN YOU ACTUALLY GET TO BUILD THESE WONDERS.

I love that the bonuses for the "lesser" resources are better. It is hopefully just the start in balancing things out.

No. They aren't. I mean, flat bonuses just plain suck at the point where you can dish out 100m for a wonder. The major resources of Construction and Asphalt just got a huge bonus, whereas Fur and Lead remain terrible.

I mean, a 10% combat bonus for Lead or +3% income bonus for Furs would make them worthwhile.

Edited by Taishaku

Who the heck is building that much infrastructure when you're big enough to make one of these things? And even if I were, if something were to make me actually want the crummy resources that make up asphalt I'd say the wonder is doing its job. The martian resource benefitting the 3BR is directly worse, and there's a reason.

Not to say that more balancing doesn't need done, but look at the moon resources and tell me how much of a bonus fish or wheat get. I think it should go further, but it's a start.

Edited by sammykhalifa

SO HOW IS IT THAT +3 HAPPINESS IS EQUIVALENT TO ROUGHLY A 10% REAL INCOME INCREASE (this is assuming that all income is being used for infrastructure). POPULATION BOOSTERS STOMP INCOME BOOSTERS WHEN YOU ACTUALLY GET TO BUILD THESE WONDERS.

I'd say you already answered yourself quite adequately.

Most people in the upper levels rarely buy infrastructure, and even then, the vast majority of our money goes to our war chests. Heck, with these new Wonders, I'll be spending more on Wonders than I will on infrastructure.

I'd say you already answered yourself quite adequately.
Most people in the upper levels rarely buy infrastructure, and even then, the vast majority of our money goes to our war chests. Heck, with these new Wonders, I'll be spending more on Wonders than I will on infrastructure.

We're assuming that everybody at that size is rushing to get themselves killed? Oo"

People can comfortably obtain these Wonders at around 12000 infrastructure. Most people interested in such things also tend to be patient enough to try to make for 14000 for the SDC, especially if they plan to bank.

Edited by Taishaku