A phone call to Mr. Anthony Harlem

Maelstrom Vortex

Anthony Harlem's hotline would ring. Maelstrom prayed that only Anthony would pick up. He had a concern.. a concern about one Mr. Davies.. who may be lieing to them both. He intended to call it to Mr. Harlems attention. At first.. Maelstrom passed Mr. Davies scent of fear on the runway off the evening he talked with them both and Mr. Davies denied knowledge of the event as merely fear of him.. but then he got to thinking. Mr. Davies had been around him many other times without that scent. Mr. Davies may not have known why Maelstrom sniffed him, but there was a very good reason.

Later actions confirmed something that Maelstrom had become more and more suspicious of. Davies in Khmer, cavorting with Lady Kingswell as reported by his observor.. Davies taking control of the investigation into Somal and progress coming slowly. He smelled a rat. He thought Davies.. might be lying. He would bring this up with his old friend Mr. Harlem. If it were true, the man Mr. Harlem called his second in command may be one of the greatest threat to Promised Land's sovereignty in a very.. very long time.

There was no transition. One moment he was fast asleep, the next he was wide awake, automatically beginning the motion that would bring his knife from the wrist strap to his hand.

But it was only the phone, and so he replaced the knife, suppressing a yawn, and answered the machine.

"What is it?" he asked evenly, with no trace of any emotion.

"My friend. Is this line secure, not bugged, not recorded, not being tapped in any way you do not have direct and absolute control over? If not.. you need a line that is. I have something very critical I must confess to you.. in the hopes that you can shed some light on this concern." He would hear Moby and Blue Man Group playing in the background of the phone and the roar of a jet engine. It was clearly Maelstrom's voice.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

"What? Yes. I always personally check any phone I use for such contraptions. I know what to look for, considering my profession," he said dryly. "If anything like that is ever on a phone I use, it's because I put it there, or I don't intend to keep the conversation classified." He suppressed a yawn, waiting for Maelstrom's reply, and silently wondering what his friend was doing in an airplane--probably his own private aircraft, if he didn't miss his guess.

He would probably think that until he heard military band communications in the background indicating the allotments of strike to co-ordinates to pilot code-named Talisman. "I've been thinking about the whole biowarfare incident. I have some very heavy concerns. If you remember the night I landed on the Tarmac at your airbase there where You, Davies, and I spoke about the event.. I leaned over and began sniffing at Mr. Davies after I asked if he knew anything about the incident. He said he wasn't.. I smelled fear on him. It took me a while, but I later realized.. I'd never smelled fear on him from my presence alone before.. even in intense negotiations. My senses have been tuned a bit since the events in Saboria long ago. I let him go at first thinking he was probably just nervous, but later realized that didn't make sense as an explanation. Then he shows up in Khmer.. and other locations which are not in Promised Land's necessarily best interest to be present in terms of their relations with the Empire. Anthony.. I think Davies may be a threat to you.. to your country. I think he lied to us both on the tarmac that night."

He noted the communications in the background, and could just barely make out enough words to indicate that Maelstrom was, at the very least, helping coordinate the strike on Khmer.

He'd only thought he'd been awake before, but at the Chairman's words, all traces of sleepiness fled from his body.

"What?" He sat up straight, shaking his head. "Any suspicions on what, exactly, he might have been lying about?"

He had to admit, it made an eerie sort of sense. He'd have to keep a closer eye on the man in any case, guilty or not. Obviously he hadn't revealed everything about that incident.

There was no transition. One moment he was fast asleep, the next he was wide awake, automatically beginning the motion that would bring his knife from the wrist strap to his hand.

But it was only the phone, and so he replaced the knife, suppressing a yawn, and answered the machine.

"What is it?" he asked evenly, with no trace of any emotion.

OOC: Subtle knife wielder, eh? :lol1::P

Edited by JEDCJT

"The scent of fear spiked immediately after I asked him about his knowledge of the bio weapons attack. I don't know the level of involvement.. But I am almost certain he is involved in the matter. I would have expected anger. I smelled fear. Fear and anger." The chairman noted. "It may explain why the investigation is going so slowly. He may be looking for a scapegoat or something."

He would hear Maelstrom responding to something, "Talisman acknowledged. SAM site locations laid in. Radar systems and missile launchers GPS pegged."

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

"This is disturbing. He's also the one that prompted me to go public with the details of the attack in the first place. If he is behind it, it seems like this might be an attempt to undermine my authority. Even if it isn't him, it's still suspicious. I'll have to keep an eye on him. Probably a bug in his government and home offices will do the trick."

He heard Maelstrom reply to something that was just out of his audio range.

"You're helping coordinate that strike on Khmer, aren't you? Shame they didn't accept the terms." He was one of the few people in Promised Land who understood full well the reasoning behind the original missile strike on that nation's capitol building, though he personally would have waited until the ultimatum was rejected before striking, then offered new, harsher terms.

He chuckled, "I am not just coordinating it my friend. I am Talisman. Flight leader of the Tian Long Squadron. We are 50 miles north of the Khmer border at 1500 feet and lower. I will be leading the spearhead against remaining SAM sites ahead of our bombers. Best of luck to you in your quest for answers."

He hung up the phone, smiling lightly at the last comment. The man's very name implied immense chaos. It was truly fitting, then, that he would thrive in chaotic times.

As he considered what he'd learned, however, the smile faded. He'd said he was going to keep a closer eye on Davies, and he intended to just that.