Fear Leads to Anger, Anger Leads to Hate, Hate Leads to Suffering

Michael McBride

OOC: Some of this is public, some is private, and some is strictly classified. I'll be sure to label each part. Responses to public things are welcomed.

IC:

**PRIVATE, SOMEWHERE BENEATH REDEMPTIO**

"I want to know how the hell this happened!" The shout shook the room before Louis Egon even entered, the armored door flinging open followed by Sharron Edwards tossed inside, Egon following after her. His face was harder than before, if possible. His green eyes shone like emeralds in the semi-darkness of the room as he looked down at his Secretary of Transportation, and then up at his assembled cabinet.

"Well, how did this happen?" The twenty five member cabinet and their deputies were completely silent. Egon stalked past them all and looked at a wall-sized television screen. On it were feeds from Xaristan's news, TBS from Ardoria, and security cameras from around the remains of the Congressional building. He took a deep breath in the silence of the room, his rage growing. "How... did... this... HAPPEN?!" Whipping around, the remote that controlled the television went flying from his hand, speeding past each person's face as it traveled down the middle of the table, and crashed against the armored door, exploding into smaller pieces. "Let's try this," the prevailing silence was getting to him, "if I don't start getting answers, I'm simply going to fire all of you."

"At this time, we really only know where the planes took off from and where they ended up, sir." Sharron Edwards was the first to speak.

"Any indication that this was state sponsored by Ardoria?" Egon asked, spinning to Secretary of Intelligence Simon Cox.

"Nothing to indicate that, sir. Ardoria seemed as shocked as we were about the entire thing. We really don't even know who these people were."

"Well find the $%&@ out, Mr. Cox, that is your job. I want to know who they were, who they spoke with, what their favorite food was, where they stayed. I want to know their personalities, their eating habits. I want you to find the last god damned !@#$ that they took and see if they were getting enough !@#$@#$ iron in their diets. Do you understand me, Mr. Cox?"

"Yessir."

"General McCutcheon, I want you to get on the line to New England. Tell them that we are giving them control of the protectorate. We're pulling those troops out and they are coming back home. Bill," he turned to his Consul of State, "call Ardoria and tell them we're bringing our troops home the same way we got them there... straight through their country. Do not ask, tell them. If they want to make war over it, I'll be happy to fire the first shot personally." Worthington nodded his head.

"Now get moving. All of you. Xavier, I want our borders shut down. Nothing goes in or out for the time being unless I have personally approved it." His Secretary of Homeland Defense nodded. "Get to the press conference area and wait for me there. I will be along soon." His cabinet nodded and left the room, shutting the door behind them. Louis walked over to the door and tossed down the heavy metal bar on the door, locking it shut.

In the silence, he pulled two things from a suit pocket. The first was a sound deadener, which would make sure that any listening devices in the room wouldn't be able to hear his conversation. The second was a secure cell phone, one that he'd never thought that he'd have to use. There was only one contact in the phone, just a name, no number. But when he pressed 'send' over that name, the phone dialed. Louis held it to his ear and waited for the man on the other end to pick up.

To be continued...

**SUPER, DUPER, CLASSIFIED**

The phone rang once... twice... three times... four... and finally a voice on the other end picked up.

"Hello, Mr. Egon." Louis' voice stuck in his throat for a moment as he finally realized what he was doing and answered.

"Hello. I... I have a job for you."

"That would be the reason we gave you this phone. What are you looking for?"

"I want two things. One, I want you to figure out who attacked us today and I want you to kill their leaders. The second is that I want you to attack Ardoria. Create terror amongst their peoples. I want them to suffer as we have suffered."

"Do you have restrictions as to how we go about this?"

"No nuclear or chemical weapons. Biological weapons used for poisoning only if you decide to go that route, no bombs or missiles. I want their people demoralized, not rallying against you."

"That is understood. Will you help us get into their country?"

"I will work something out for you, yes."

"Then we have a deal."

"Thank you. I know your reputation. I've seen it. I expect results."

"Of course. The world shall fear the name Green Flag once again." The call ended from the other line.

To be continued...

Edited by Pravus Ingruo

OOC: Ohhhh, this is really getting interesting. :o:ph34r:

IC:

CLASSIFIED

"General McCutcheon, I want you to get on the line to New England. Tell them that we are giving them control of the protectorate. We're pulling those troops out and they are coming back home.

The phone on President Kennedy's desk rang, and the President picked it up. Holding it to his ear, Kennedy was informed by Xaristani General McCutcheon that Xaristan was pulling its troops out of the protectorate and giving control of the region to New England. "Very well, sir. Thank you for informing us." A surprised Kennedy said as the call ended.

The President switched to a classified line to the Department of Defense, to inform them of this recent development. Supreme Commander Dwight Eisenhower, after getting off the phone with President Kennedy, ordered the Army to move into the protectorate, to take over where Xaristan left off. The First through Fourth Brigades (approximately 44,000 troops) moved into Pennsylvania from New York State and the Protectorate of New Jersey. They would take over the whole protectorate.

OOC: If this isn't right, tell me and I can modify it. :unsure:

Edited by JEDCJT

OOC: Hush, subtle, he is cheering for me. And JED, that's fine.

IC:

**PUBLIC**

Louis Egon stepped up to a podium in downtown Redemptio. To television cameras around the world, it would look as if he was in the open air, and yet, he was not. He was standing inside of a massive bulletproof Plexiglas cube, separated from the viewing public, but it was specially tempered to not reflect the sunlight and look clear. A large crowd of press and average people off the street were gathered in front of him. Behind him, the wreckage of the Congressional Building smoldered in the afternoon sunlight.

He took a deep breath, preparing to speak. His prepared remarks were in front of him. They read like a press statement from his time with Egon Oil, Inc. These were not the words that his people needed to hear, now, in their time of need. He crumpled up the remarks and tossed them to the side.

"My family," he said, looking directly at the gathered people of Xaristan who had come to watch him speak, "foreign presses, and people from around the world... good afternoon. I won't bore you all with reiterating what happened today. You all already know. We were attacked... attacked by cowards. These cowards took aim at the very foundations of our country, Redemptio Military Base and our Congressional Building. The results of that attack are behind me."

"The other attack, however, was thwarted by a group of brave pilots led by Lieutenant Miguel Iglesias of the 3rd Homeland Defense Squadron. Lieutenant Iglesias would be here with us now, but he is still flying cover over our nation at this time."

"We do not have definite reports on the number of dead and wounded as of yet. We know that approximately two hundred primarily Ardorian citizens died on the two flights, and we offer our condolences to those families for their loss in this tragic incident. Early reports have indicated that as many as seven hundred Xaristani citizens have died behind me today. While the Congressional Building was evacuated in time, there were still police officers near the building, and citizens going about their daily lives. There are also reports that Upper House Statesman Howard Bleaker from the 7th District is missing. We are still working to verify those reports."

"Know that this attack will not go unpunished. To those who carried out, and to those who supported, this attack, we will find you, and we will kill you. There has been no evidence as of yet that the Ardorian government helped this despicable act along or allowed it to happen, but if we find evidence that they did, we shall not rest until each and every one of you are dead. Our vengeance shall be swift, and it shall be deadly."

"As we speak, our troops in the Xaristan Protectorate to the north are being recalled home, through Ardoria. They will wait at your borders for forty-eight hours. If after that time they are not allowed through, they shall force their way through. The protectorate will now be governed by New England."

"As of now, all Xaristani borders are closed and it's airspace is off limits. We will make another announcement when it opens again."

"To Ardoria, I say clean up your country. This originated in your country, and we are now suffering because of it. To the Ardorian people, I say that if your government is unwilling to clean your country up, then do it yourselves."

"Any questions can be forwarded to the Department of State." With that, Director Egon stepped down from the podium, hustled to a waiting car by security agents.

To be continued...

EDIT: ***PRIVATE, CLASSIFIED, AND ANY OTHER SECURE LABEL YOU CAN PUT ON SOMETHING***

The rest of the Ardorian Cabinet was already in the Situation Room when President Briar came in, his Chief of Staff right behind him.

"What the hell happened and what do we know?"

"Well, sir, uhh..."

An aide rushes in with a typed transcript of Director Egon's press conference. Briar reads over it, now greatly angered, spoke again.

"Why the hell didn't I know about this earlier!?!?!?!?! Don't give me any of that "it wasn't confirmed" !@#$%^&*. How come he can shut down everything, move his troops, hand over land, and hold a press conference before I even know what's happening?!"

There was silence in the room.

"Dismissed. Get out of my sight. Darryl, Brett, stay behind for a moment."

This they did. Briar continued in a hushed voice.

"Darryl, get the Xaristani's through and out of here ASAP. I don't want any tanks controlled by that maniac in here longer than they need to be. Also, on your way out, get me the director of the NIA. Brett, everything is shut down. Airspace, territorial waters, borders, everything. Nothing in or out. I want the director of ACAA in my office sometime this afternoon."

They both left and the President was left alone in the Situation Room. He walked out and prepared himself a speech he would make later this afternoon...

Edited by Raritan

PUBLIC

After hours of advancing, the New England troops entered Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, and other Pennsylvanian cities. A provisional government was established in Philadelphia to enforce law and order throughout the region.

The advance didn’t stop there, however; continuing on, the Brigades entered Ohio, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Delaware, and the District of Columbia, occupying many cities and towns along the way (Baltimore, Columbus, Washington DC, Richmond, etc). In each respective regions, Provisional governments were also established to enforce law and order.

Shortly after, the federal government declared that individual Protectorates would be established in each region. They would be as following:

• Protectorate of Virginia
  • Protectorate of Maryland
  • Protectorate of Columbia (Washington DC)
  • Protectorate of West Virginia
  • Protectorate of Ohio
  • Protectorate of Delaware

Pennsylvania was exempted for some reasons that will be revealed soon. Together the individual Protectorates would make up the New England Protectorate. New England laws and resolutions immediately came into effect throughout the region.

***PUBLIC***

President Briar walked to the podium in the Press Room. For this press conference, he'd be without a prewritten script.

"Ladies and gentlemen, my fellow citizens, and citizens of Xaristan, earlier today, our neighbors to the south were attacked by a group of cowardly terrorists."

"First, I must bring the bad news. On those flights, thanks to manifests provided by Delta Air Lines which operated the flights, 114 passengers and 10 crew were on Flight 733. On Flight 173, there were 183 passengers and a crew of 6. Unfortunately, we believe that there are no survivors. For victims on the ground, we must defer to estimates made by the Xaristani government who may be contacted through their State Department."

"Now, to those how committed these horrendous and despicable acts. We will tolerate you no more than our neighbors the Xaristanis will. You are not welcome here or anywhere in Ardoria and if you should be found here, you will be arrested and you will be served justice. For those who supported these acts, you will be subject to no mercy or amnesty. You are equally guilty of anything done by those who you supported and will be dealt with in the same manner."

"I will now accept questions from the press and the media."

"Our airspace and airports currently are closed to all air traffic except for military operations by the Ardorian Air Force. We are currently taking the time to review our security procedures and make revisions if necessary."

OOC: Hush, subtle, he is cheering for me. And JED, that's fine.

OOC: Hush? HUSH? Why you... :war:

***PUBLIC***

President Briar walked to the podium in the Press Room. For this press conference, he'd be without a prewritten script.

"Ladies and gentlemen, my fellow citizens, and citizens of Xaristan, earlier today, our neighbors to the south were attacked by a group of cowardly terrorists."

"First, I must bring the bad news. On those flights, thanks to manifests provided by Delta Air Lines which operated the flights, 114 passengers and 10 crew were on Flight 733. On Flight 173, there were 183 passengers and a crew of 6. Unfortunately, we believe that there are no survivors. For victims on the ground, we must defer to estimates made by the Xaristani government who may be contacted through their State Department."

"Now, to those how committed these horrendous and despicable acts. We will tolerate you no more than our neighbors the Xaristanis will. You are not welcome here or anywhere in Ardoria and if you should be found here, you will be arrested and you will be served justice. For those who supported these acts, you will be subject to no mercy or amnesty. You are equally guilty of anything done by those who you supported and will be dealt with in the same manner."

"I will now accept questions from the press and the media."

"Is there any information on just how the terrorists managed to hijack these planes?"

"Is there any information on just how the terrorists managed to hijack these planes?"

"As of right now, it's not possible to determine. However, once the plane's black boxes are recovered, we may be able to find more information as to how they were able to hijack the aircraft."

"Have you found out any info as to whom these terrorists work for?"

"We've recieved no claims for responsibility and do not know of any motives. Once again, the black boxes may be able to shed some light onto what happened."

"That will be all for now, all furthur questions can be directed to the Foreign Ministry."