New Roleplayer RP Tips

Firestorm

Yes but look at it from the viepoint of a brand new RPer. You have no experience and you want to start and then you get this HUGE wall of text about tips, which might seem overwhelming and more like rules which could or could not put people off roleplaying here.

If they're put off by suggestions on how to improve their RP...then would we really want them posting here?

If they're put off by suggestions on how to improve their RP...then would we really want them posting here?

Yes didn't I say if they hadn't RPed before which if they havn't they might not really know exactly what to do so instead of throwing an entire document of suggestions at them they should be eased into the RP enviroment one step at a time.

Imagine this like a driving lesson for this thread. Instead of making them do a three point turn right from the word go just show them how to start the engine and make the initial push to go and then go from there.

Length doesn't equate quality and quality doesn't imply length. A back story can be as short as three to four sentences to thousands of words long. I don't advocate forcing anyone to create a backstory. You'll note that one of the four 'ps' statements implies that it would be incredibly lame to force these tips on anyone.

Everyone has their own distinct style of role play and all of them, excluding the ones that are blatant cheating, ought to be acknowledged and accepted. Myself I'll role play with anyone as long as they aren't playing on god mode or bringing an OOC Axe to grind with me to the role play.

I noticed it, but these things have a nasty tendency to become a community requirement, and if people don't like it they ignore new people. I've seen it happen before, and I've left forums because of it.

I noticed it, but these things have a nasty tendency to become a community requirement, and if people don't like it they ignore new people. I've seen it happen before, and I've left forums because of it.

As have I seen the same thing happen in my own RP experiences and I've left forums as well. I do see what you are trying to say and I have put a disclaimer on top of the post in hopes that it will help. However, keep in mind that doing nothing can be just as bad as doing something. Perhaps the solution lays in the middle ground of being one of those people who role plays with the new members to make them feel welcome.

It can be challenging at times, but I'm reminded of the example of Freakwars and his arrival. Sarah was decent enough to role play with him even though she probably wanted to strangle him.

Well she and most of the rest of planet CNRP Bob.

Yes didn't I say if they hadn't RPed before which if they havn't they might not really know exactly what to do so instead of throwing an entire document of suggestions at them they should be eased into the RP enviroment one step at a time.

Imagine this like a driving lesson for this thread. Instead of making them do a three point turn right from the word go just show them how to start the engine and make the initial push to go and then go from there.

King Keyz does have a reasonable point. I've put in a disclaimer at the top of the thread and later on I'll rework the original post to break it down a bit more into bite sized chunks.