Project Poseidon and the Bermuda Proving Grounds

Raritan

OOC: Classified, in case you didn't see the Topic Description

IC:

TO: MIN.DEF DARRYL BRADFORD
MEMO: BERMUDA PROVING GROUNDS
We have plans for the establishment of the Bermuda Proving Grounds (BPG) completed and they are attached. Plans for testing the new guided munitions for the South Carolina class Battleships are also in the works. The shells are still being tested on land. We need your approval before we can go further with both plans. The Project Poseidon SOSUS arrays will be laid within the BPG once it's established for testing purposes. Once its reliability is confirmed we can expand it around Bermuda, along the Atlantic Coast, and in the Gulf. We would like confirmation for the plans within a week if possible to begin deployment of Poseidon arrays.

TO: VICE.ADM PIERCE HARPER
MEMO: RE BERMUDA PROVING GROUNDS
BPG establishment and Poseidon are approved. More data is needed on the guided munitions before a decision on it can be made.

OOC: TLDR, I'm forming a testing range in the Atlantic south of Bermuda and building a SOSUS system.

Edited by Raritan

OOC: I'll probably let BTP know later. For know, it's a Codeword project (above Top Secret).

IC:

***Classified***

With the approval from the Minister of Defense, the Ardorian Navy began laying the SOSUS arrays within the newly established Bermuda Proving Grounds. The BPG was a rectangle (or as much of a rectangle you could have on a globe) with its corners at N30W65, N25W65, N25W70, and N30W70. It covered a total of just over 100,000 square miles of open ocean. Deployment of the SOSUS arrays to the Atlantic Coast would be next once the system was tested and confirmed to be reliable.

Edited by Raritan

***Classified***

*Bermuda Naval Base, Testing Range*

"Alright, let's test the guidance packages again. The target is at W64N32 exactly. Let's see if the latest fix worked," the chief engineer for the project said as the guidance system technician programmed the target.

The 16in rocket assisted guided shell would be fired from a 16 in shore gun near Castle Harbor. The target was a raft 45 miles to the southwest. The unarmed shell, with the new guidance package fixes should land no more 50 feet from the center of the raft. The GPS guided shell was fired from the gun a few minutes later. The battleship ANS Georgia was near the raft to observe the firing. The shell ended up 27 ft from the center of the raft in the water. The test was a success and the shell would be tested on the ANS Georgia in the Bermuda Proving Grounds in the next few weeks.

*Bermuda Proving Grounds*

In the meantime, a naval cable layer was just finishing up the first set of arrays in the BPG. System diagnostics would run for a few days before it went active and had functions tested.

***Classified***

TO: MIN.DEF DARRYL BRADFORD

MEMO: POSEIDON

Diagnostics on the arrays have been completed and most of the other tests are completed. I can safely say that the system works reliably and is ready for deployment along the Atlantic Coast. I would recommend that deployment be expedited as much as possible with the possibility of another war. I would also recommend expanding the arrays around Bermuda. Plans for such a system are attached.

TO: VICE.ADM PIERCE HARPER

MEMO: RE POSEIDON

All approved. Admiral Lennox is moving more ships into Bermuda for a joint exercise. The cable-layers may be held up because of that. I will try to expeite the process as much as I can.

Edited by Raritan

***CLASSIFIED***

The Atlantic SOSUS arrays were completed as quickly as the current situation allowed for and was powered up. Testing was still being done but full operational status was expected within a week. The ocean along the Atlantic Coast out to Bermuda as well as a 500 nautical mile radius around Bermuda were covered by the Atlantic arrays. The Gulf arrays were being deployed in the next day or so.

OOC: I'll have a map of the arrays soon.

OOC: Gulf Arrays would be detected by my own, I believe.

OOC: You'd detect the ships laying the sensors for sure, but I'm not sure if you could detect that they were in fact laying the sensors. In any event, it's territorial and international waters I'm working in so I don't think anyone can legitimately interfere.

OOC: Just a note, there is no such thing as international/ territorial waters.

OOC: That's a new one to me. Most nations with a navy have actually RP'd at least a modest amount of territorial waters.

Mine included.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

OOC: That's a new one to me. Most nations with a navy have actually RP'd at least a modest amount of territorial waters.

Mine included.

OOC: There is no universal definition, so saying "international waters" means nothing. A better RP would be X distance form the coast.

OOC: There is no universal definition, so saying "international waters" means nothing. A better RP would be X distance form the coast.

OOC: Most territorial waters are about 12 nautical miles from the coastline. Anything outside of that is international. In fact, I've declared that my territorial waters are 12 nm out.

OOC: Most territorial waters are about 12 nautical miles from the coastline. Anything outside of that is international. In fact, I've declared that my territorial waters are 12 nm out.

OOC: I have declared I own most of the pacific, so thats not really, 12 miles is it. As I said, people had different definitions.

***CLASSIFIED***

As the testing was being finished on the Atlantic Array, the Gulf Array was completed. The Atlantic Array was now fully functional. The same testing process would be repeated on the Gulf Array.