The Candle in the Dark

Sarah Tintagyl

Along with fostering cultural growth, economic expansion, and of course strong diplomatic relations with her neighbors, the Hanseatic Commonwealth in Sarah's mind had a strong duty to protect the spheres of influence that it had set up around the South Pacific. She was not an expansionist by any means and all annexations had thus far been for population reasons, ethnic annexation for lack of a better term, in addition with good relations with the Australian powers and the Aotearoan state the Hanseatic economy was booming. Now it was time to focus on security. Hanseatic shipping for the most part had two routes to reach their holdings in Marchen without going directly through Aotearoan territory, which for the most part was avoided on that chance that some moves may be taken offensively. Sarah made it clear that friendship was more important than paying an extra thousand marks on gas for shipping. One route was down to Hanseatic holdings near Antarctica then back north towards the Central Pacific, while the other route was through New Cymru holdings near the Solomon Islands and therein lay a problem.

For almost a year, the government in Othello had made no remarks as to their status or the changing status of the world, indeed the threat of anarchy sweeping through the Solomons and New Guinea itself was enough to make many Hanseatic merchants uneasy about shipping lines to the north and none of the powers to their north seemed to mind the threat of total anarchy sweeping through the area. Anarchy no doubt would lead to perhaps piracy and with piracy a loss in capital that was critical for the progress of the Hanseatic economy and there was nothing in Sarah's mind that was more insulting than having to make concessions due to piracy. She had handled piracy in Europe with the Andonian crisis with the Dutch in her mind extraordinarily well, but she was not about to let it become an issue again.

After meeting with various economic and military advisors it had been settled that the Hansa's best interests while pending the acquisition of Micronesia was to restore order in Othello or at least investigate if the government or any government had risen up to sustain itself and take an active part in the world again. A plan was laid out that a fleet of transport ships would take twenty-thousand Hanseatic infantrymen from the Australian province north and land in Port Moresby and then five thousand of those would be sent to occupy Honiara in the Solomons and reaffirm some form of organized government there. Sarah hoped that after taking action that the Australasian Coalition would take the rest of the territory under their control while she annex Port Moresby and the Solomons for the safe passage of Hanseatic trade from the Australian provinces to Hanseatic holdings in Marchen.

After the meeting was finished and the necessary troops had been called into duty and sent towards the regions in question, Sarah went in front of the world community to explain her movements:

Citizens and leaders of the world. In the recent months we have seen the disappearance of any government from the nation of Othello. The fear of anarchy rising in the Southern Pacific is very real and must be addressed as soon as possible. No other nations have moved yet to do so and as anarchy is a direct threat to Hanseatic shipping lines that run extremely close to Othelloan territory I have taken the following measures to secure Othello for another government to rise from this state. The Hansa will be laying claim to the Solomon Islands and a small enclave around the port city at Port Moresby while I hope that stable states around the questioned area will help us transform the region into a stable protectorate that will eventually regain independence once a stable government introduces itself to the area again. Thank you for your time and understanding.

**Classifed**

Twenty-Thousand infantrymen have been shipped from Brisbane and the surrounding areas towards Port Moresby in Othello, after arrival, five thousand of those soldiers will be shipped to areas around Honiara on the Solomon Islands.

OOC: Inactivity.

Edited by Sarah Tintagyl

Greater Aotearoa wonders about the possibility that it may take control of the Solomon chain, in return for a formal treaty with The Hansa. As per our laws, your civilian shipping already has passage through our EEZ, and with this treaty, your military vessels would be able to take the more direct route as well. We have no interests in New Guinea, our one time presence on that island revealed to us a area we wish to to control, however, in the extended past of our nation's various forms, Wellington did hold the Solomons in prosperity and peace for a number of years, and indeed, we expect old Imperial installations could still be found.

Greater Aotearoa wonders about the possibility that it may take control of the Solomon chain, in return for a formal treaty with The Hansa. As per our laws, your civilian shipping already has passage through our EEZ, and with this treaty, your military vessels would be able to take the more direct route as well. We have no interests in New Guinea, our one time presence on that island revealed to us a area we wish to to control, however, in the extended past of our nation's various forms, Wellington did hold the Solomons in prosperity and peace for a number of years, and indeed, we expect old Imperial installations could still be found.

Lord LeVentNoir,

Your proposal to run the Solomon Islands along with a treaty between our peoples is exactly the kind of cooperation that I was hoping to see from the international community. We will begin moving our troops out of the Solomons immediately, en route to balance our holdings on mainland Othello. You have taking immense pressure off of my military and I hope that you and I can work together to keep anarchy from stemming from any one area in the Pacific ever again. I anxiously await your proposition for this treaty.

Sincerely,

Sarah Tintagyl

Lady Protector of the Hanseatic Commonwealth

**Classified**

The five thousand troops stationed at Honiara have been relocated back to Port Moresby. At 20,000 strength, this force will begin spreading up the Othelloan east coast bringing it under direct Hanseatic control.

Edited by Sarah Tintagyl

Lord LeVentNoir,

Your proposal to run the Solomon Islands along with a treaty between our peoples is exactly the kind of cooperation that I was hoping to see from the international community. We will begin moving our troops out of the Solomons immediately, en route to balance our holdings on mainland Othello. You have taking immense pressure off of my military and I hope that you and I can work together to keep anarchy from stemming from any one area in the Pacific ever again. I anxiously await your proposition for this treaty.

Sincerely,

Sarah Tintagyl

Lady Protector of the Hanseatic Commonwealth

**Classified**

The five thousand troops stationed at Honiara have been relocated back to Port Moresby. At 20,000 strength, this force will begin spreading up the Othelloan east coast bringing it under direct Hanseatic control.

We see it as no strain to extend our guidance to these islands, given their neighboring status to many of our current possessions. I shall have a small detachment of troops move to the Solomons, (2,000) while I have clerks draft the treaty, focusing on mutual aid, trade, defense and technological advancement.

OOC: Yes, LVN and I only annexed the Solomon Islands and the East Coast of Othello, the rest will be an AC protectorate and when he gets back he can without question have the protectorate.

OOC: Just to clarify...the AC protectorate area is the bulk of it, right?