Dynasty

Silhouette

The right to rule  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For too long the legacy of Llewelyn the Last had been hidden. Owain Llewelyn Gruffudd knew this, but only recently had he been in a position to make something of it. Finally, his people were free of the tyranny of seven centuries. In a few weeks time, he would publicly challenge Brian Ellis’ rule over this nation, and present his evidence of succession. History was important to his people, Owain knew, but hopefully it would be important enough to make them recognise his significance to the nation. Gaunter he respected, for he had brought the people forth as a functioning society once again. Williams was a warrior who had been wounded in battle, but Ellis, a boy with no idea how to run a nation. His latest ploy to romanise the name to ‘New Cambria’ was nothing short of grabbing at straws. Owain would not resort to violence against his own people, but he had to make them see…

Edited by Silhouette

Two weeks later...

It was hardly ideal, but the NCBN public address section was the best he could do to reach the largest number of people. Owain was dressed in his best suit. Hard black with a dark green tie, gold cuff links and tie clip. He carried with him a single sheet of paper, which held his most important points.

As the camera started rolling, Owain looked up. The odd casting of shadow made his eyes look black to the average viewer, although they were in fact a disturbing blend of grey and hazel. His hair light brown. He was, in fact, average in almost every way, except that he kept himself fit through a rigorous regime, and it showed.

My fellow countrymen.

I sit here today to bring you but a simple message. History is important to our people. Our culture, our way of life. They are all results of but a few great men. Llywelyn the Last, for example. The last great king of our homeland before the tyrants suppressed our way of life. Now, we have a home again, nad it is time for a king to once more lead our people to glory. My friends, I am a direct descendant of Llywelyn the Last. I have the genealogical evidence to support my claim. Those who wish to see it can find me at parliament house from dawn tomorrow. I can not force my presence upon you good people, however, you have the right to decide for yourself.

He nodded, and the camera shut off.

The following day, Owain was exactly where he said he would be, standing on the steps of Parliament house. A sizable crowd gathered, and remained throughout the day. Those who challenged his claim would have been surprised by genealogical records, which included Mykep of Forever Battlefield, and Catherine of Wales. It was complete and genuine in every respect, and even experts in the field could find nothing to suggest it was false.

"My friends," Owain began, "you have seen what evidence I have with your own eyes. Those of you who wish to support my claim, I thank you. I ask you to encourage your government to hold a referendum on this matter. If they are truly for the people, they will not deny such a request. I want only what is best for this nation, and what is best for it's people. If you want the same, support me in this quest."

The crowd cheered. Such an unusual event was a soapbox speech, and so powerful were his words, the people gathered could barely contain themselves. Cheering in public was hardly a common occurance in New Cymru in any case.

The government started to take notice at this point. The Heritage Party threw it's entire weight behind Owain Llywelyn Gruffudd. A full twenty percent of the parlaimentary seats.

To: Owain Llywelyn Gruffudd

Lord Owain,

Though you and I have never met personally, I understand your plight to take power in New Cymru, in all seriousness not a month ago the same responsibility was given to be by my people and the honor is more than any single human can ask for. However, I ask you as a fellow leader and possibly a potential friend not to turn to violence to motivate your people to come to your side. The leader that comes to power through violence will almost always leave power through the same way and in addition I will not let a county that has been so kind to my people descend into chaos, so I beg of you not to let civil disorder rise in what I have always believed to be one of the most stable countries in the South Pacific.

Also Lord Owain, though you are descended from royalty, always remember that the people are the citizens of the state and as ruler you take it upon yourself as the physical embodiment of the state, the physical embodiment of your people and therefore the people must have certain rights that a leader has no reason to take away. Republicanism is always beneficial to the people that support and honor us to our deaths. If you take away their rights, what is left?

From what I have seen, you are an honorable man with honorable intentions for your homeland and though I cannot support you openly due to my ties to the current New Cymreag government, I wish you well on your claim to the throne and to your people. Enclosed with this letter is a copy of Tomas Pons' The Benevolent Monarch, a guide of sorts for those seeking and holding royal power.

Sincerely Yours,

Sarah Tintagyl

Lady Protector of the Hanseatic Commonwealth

To: Owain Llywelyn Gruffudd

Lord Owain,

Though you and I have never met personally, I understand your plight to take power in New Cymru, in all seriousness not a month ago the same responsibility was given to be by my people and the honor is more than any single human can ask for. However, I ask you as a fellow leader and possibly a potential friend not to turn to violence to motivate your people to come to your side. The leader that comes to power through violence will almost always leave power through the same way and in addition I will not let a county that has been so kind to my people descend into chaos, so I beg of you not to let civil disorder rise in what I have always believed to be one of the most stable countries in the South Pacific.

Also Lord Owain, though you are descended from royalty, always remember that the people are the citizens of the state and as ruler you take it upon yourself as the physical embodiment of the state, the physical embodiment of your people and therefore the people must have certain rights that a leader has no reason to take away. Republicanism is always beneficial to the people that support and honor us to our deaths. If you take away their rights, what is left?

From what I have seen, you are an honorable man with honorable intentions for your homeland and though I cannot support you openly due to my ties to the current New Cymreag government, I wish you well on your claim to the throne and to your people. Enclosed with this letter is a copy of Tomas Pons' The Benevolent Monarch, a guide of sorts for those seeking and holding royal power.

Sincerely Yours,

Sarah Tintagyl

Lady Protector of the Hanseatic Commonwealth

To: Sarah Solidor née Tintagyl

Lady Sarah,

I can assure you I have no violent intentions. If it comes down to it, I will make sure personally that anyone trying to incite violence in my name is dealt with harshly. These are my countrymen above all, and my truest desire is to lead them to a better future. I am aware that a monarchy hardly seems to be 'with the times' as it were, but I am certain that it would be for the good of my nation.

I would also like to say that it was in fact your action that led me to believe the time was right for my own attempt. I fully intend to keep the current ministers instated. Even young Ellis gets to keep his job, if that is what the people desire. I thank you for the book, and hope to always be able to consider you amongst my friends.

With the utmost respect,

Owain Llywelyn Gruffudd

Promised Land will not comment on this matter, other than to say that this is an intriguing situation.

***Private to Gaunter, Williams, and Ellis***

What are your intentions concerning this new development?

**Private and Encoded Reply**

We will hold a referendum. The people can decide their own fate.

*Public*

New Cymru is holding a referendum to decide the legitimacy of Owain Gruffudd's claims of royal right. A 65% majority will be required in favour of Mr Gruffudd to bestow power upon him to lead New Cymru.

The referendum voting period closed toady with a surprising 67.32% in support of Owain Gruffudd. Parliament will hold an emergency session with Gruffudd in attendance to work out a mutually beneficial solution. The likely outcome is that Gruffudd will be more of a figurehead with influence rather than an absolute leader of the state.

After several hours in closed session this morning, parliament has reached a final decision on the matter of Owain Llywelyn Gruffudd. In two weeks he will be instated as the head of state of New Cymru's constitutional monarchy. His opinon will still carry weight in parliament, however the ability to directly affect policy will be strictly limited. Crowds were cheering in the streets at the earlier public announcement. While police monitor the situation, they are wary about making arrests, for fear of extreme backlash.