Environment score

mdawgmike

I'm curious as to what some of the specifics are in determining your environment score. I have read that purchasing technology and land will increase it. Resources like coal, oil, and uranium will decrease it. Are there any formulas available (such as the one showing technology benefits)? Or is this one of the secrets of the game? I just want to know how much land/technology I would need to purchase to bump my environment up to the desired amount.

Thanks in advance.

It depends how strong your nation is. I thought (although you're saying differently, and have been playing longer than me, so I'm gonna assume you're right) that after you got more than 20/mile your environment score started going down, but I agree that its much harder to keep that population density as a bigger nation, and that 50/mile makes more sense.

[...]I thought that after you got more than 20/mile your environment score started going down[...]

That's almost right. What's actually relevant around that point is the Infra/Land ratio. More than 2/mile Infra makes your environment go down, which just happens to be around the 20/mile population point for some nations (depending on population bonuses).

Yes, as Snow Dan says, it's best to use the land to infrstructure ratio. In addition to population bonuses distorting the density, your soldier count is part of the population density and hence the size of your military can cause your population density to fluctuate. I've had population densities as high as 35 per mile while still maintaining better than a 2 to 1 land to infrastructure ratio.

Thanks for the advice. Yea I've kinda understood that the ideal infrastructure to land ratio is 2:1. I've traditionally kept it right around there as it bumped my environment score up a point. However, when I acquired water as a resource that threshold seemed to not exist anymore; purchasing more than half my infrastructure did nothing for me. So maybe water must have some effect there. I stopped purchasing land at that point. Because now that I no longer have water my environment dropped down half a star from five. I guess I'll slowly work my way back up to a 2:1 ratio, hopefully that will help. I've heard technology has some effect as well. Will, say, purchasing another 100 tech have any significant effects on the environment?