An Issue with Bunkers, and a suggestion to Include Fire Departments; what do you think?

Cyrus De GreenWood

I was looking at the Bunker. The bunker does not say it affects population count, but upon purchasing 5 of them I had lost 3000 citizens costing me an improvement slot I had planned. I asked around and I am not the only one.

My suggestions is this. We have Hospitals, clinics, police headquarters, jails, prisons, and even rehab centers, but one thing we don't have is Fire departments.
I was thinking we could have up to 5 fire departments, and the effects would be: +1 happiness, and a 1% reduction in infra upkeep cost.

I figured that we don't have a lot of improvements that gran unpenalized happiness and having someone down the street that will put my house out if it catches fire makes me happy. Additionally, the 1% infra upkeep seemed like a small amount that is fair when paired with happiness, and it makes sense that with reduced maintenance and damages from things like fire that costs would be down. Just something I had been thinking about.

47 minutes ago, Cyrus De GreenWood said:

I was looking at the Bunker. The bunker does not say it affects population count, but upon purchasing 5 of them I had lost 3000 citizens costing me an improvement slot I had planned. I asked around and I am not the only one.

My suggestions is this. We have Hospitals, clinics, police headquarters, jails, prisons, and even rehab centers, but one thing we don't have is Fire departments.
I was thinking we could have up to 5 fire departments, and the effects would be: +1 happiness, and a 1% reduction in infra upkeep cost.

I figured that we don't have a lot of improvements that gran unpenalized happiness and having someone down the street that will put my house out if it catches fire makes me happy. Additionally, the 1% infra upkeep seemed like a small amount that is fair when paired with happiness, and it makes sense that with reduced maintenance and damages from things like fire that costs would be down. Just something I had been thinking about.

I purchased 5 Bunkers just to check the population issue, it did nothing to my citizen count.

Are you sure it's not something else? You don't have Border Walls, which to my knowledge are the only Improvements that negatively affect the citizen count, but maybe you did something that affected your Environment, you switched to another Government, you had Events?...

The Fire Department idea looks good to me. Although I disagree that "we don't have a lot of improvements that gran unpenalized happiness": we already have Churches, IAs, PHs and Stadiums. In fact the infra upkeep reduction is a much better selling point for your idea, as there are literally no improvements that grant an unpenalized infra upkeep reduction, and even the Wonders (without infra requirements) that provide it are only two (the Interstate System and the Moon/Mars Base, which in turn however require the Space Program).

To answer your question, no I had no events, I had not changed governments either.

As far as the other improvements go, the IA has not affected my happiness at all. I did forget though that the PH gave happiness. What would you think a good increase into the infra upkeep reduction would be reasonable to replace the +1 happiness bonus?

10 hours ago, Cyrus De GreenWood said:

What would you think a good increase into the infra upkeep reduction would be reasonable to replace the +1 happiness bonus?

I would keep your suggestion as is, +1 happiness and 1% reduction in infra upkeep cost.

Fire Departments are definitely a good idea. Happiness increases is good and makes sense. Reducing infra upkeep is fantastic and certainly a welcomed idea. Loosely makes a correlation. Also interesting idea for it to either lessen the possibility of a negative environmental event or lessen the damages or duration.  That might be too wild though.