Cascadia-New Babylon

Dillon1102

Foreign Minister Darius of Basra would meet the Cascadian Minister in his office in New Babylon.

"A pleasure to meet you Minister, I am Darius of Basra, Foreign Minister in the service of the Holy Emperor, might I ask your name and purpose for this visit?' said Darius, opening the meeting, clearly senseing that the Minister was nervous.

"Please take a seat, have a drink and calm down, I am not going to bite you."

Jack sat down nervously. "My name is Jack Saunders. I'm the Under-Secretary of Foreign Relations in the Kingdom of Cascadia. I'm here today to discuss treaties and trade," he said slowly making sure to say it correctly. He picked up a small bottle of water. While taking a drink some spilled on his jacket from his hand shaking.

Darius frowned slightly as he took in the shaking Jack Saunders and asessed the man before pulling out a smoke and lighting it in his mouth before offering one to Jack.

"Mr Saunders, what has got you so worked up? or is simply the discussion of a trade agreement causing you great nervousness? I assure you that you have nothing to fear in New Babylon, or from me, we can take as long as it needs." he continued, now sitting opposite the Minister.

"Treaties and trade you say?, sounds interesting, tell me more".

Jack waved his hand at the offering of this cigarette. "No thanks I'm not much of a smoker."
He opened up a briefcase with multiple types of treaties. "Well currently I would say that militarily Cascadia is kinda small. So we were hoping for either a MDAP or a MDOAP. As for trade we have different exports but our main one is timber from the many forests." Again he spoke slowly as to not mess up. After taking a few deep breaths he looked up at the Babylonian minister and loosened a bit.

Darius betrayed none of the surprise which was running rings around his brain and such a request. Cascadia was a state thousands of miles away in North America, why on earth would they want such an alliance with Babylon?

Darius would study the documents for several minutes, smoking his cigarette, occasionally looking towards Jack and smiling.

"Minister, I would be happy to provide a signature for a trade agreement, but why do you need a military alliance with aggression clauses? Is Cascadia planning on invading anybody?" he responded with a wink.

"Or is Cascadia under threat of invasion?"

"No we are not an aggressive nation in the slightest. Our only expansion goals are to possibly incorporate the Montana Territory but that's not even in the top 100 of pressing matters." He took a sip of dihydrogen oxide before speaking again. "As for nations attacking us we nervous about New Horizon Network as they have displayed aggressive behavior towards us for no apparent reason at all." He took a good look around the room as to make sure they were the only ones present. "As a show of faith, we have around 100,000 troops, 5,000 tanks, 472 Aircraft, and 7 major warships."

Edited by Dillon1102

"What of the issues surrounding Del Norte Mr Saunders? I have a rudimentary understanding of the situation based on intelligence reports and the internet, none of which are very enlightening, although it certainly paints a different picture in regardings to this sabre rattling by the New Horizon Network." said Darius, still keeping the tone of the conversation light and friendly.

"Here is what I understand, you sent troops into Del Norte, a location that falls within the borders of the Horizon Network, and set up camp, refusing to leave and also attempting to establish a local referendum to annex the terrritory away from the Network." he continued.

"Please correct me if I am wrong Mr Saunders, but before I sign any agreement on behalf of the God Emperor, I must know the one hundred percent truth."

Jack took a deep breath to fully calm down from his nervousness before speaking. "Well at the beginning of May Cascadia was brought into existence. After a week of being independent we noticed there was a large amount of high level crimes in the territory of California. In an effort to expand our economy and land area, John Linnaeus the now current minister of war. Led a small excursion of 2,500 men into California to start having the counties come under the Cascadian flag. The first county gone through was Del Norte after one day the county seat Crescent City agreed to join our kingdom. Linnaeus moved east into the county of Siskiyou. Around halfway through they had received a notice that the other Californian Counties along with Nevada came together under the New Horizon Network. They were ordered to retreat into the already Cascadian Territory of Del Norte. The next day New Horizon threatened us and we said that we would not give in. They sent diplomats to our capital of Eugene to again threaten us. Concerned with the safety of the Del Norte citizens we obliged and the 23rd regiment pulled out." He took a sip of water and breathed. "Any questions?"

"But after the offer of a referendum was made and rejected, you allowed the Network to legitimately take over Governance of the territory? i must apologise for all the questions Minister, you must understand that I must be certain that you are not simply trying to gain a military ally in order to have us fight a war for you."

"Ok, well if that is the case, I can agree to signing an optional defence agreement, a free trade agreement and an intelligence sharing agreement, with the option to review the treaty every few years and potentially upgrade it depending on the situation at hand.

I could also, if you so wish to grant New Babylon permission, deploy a formation of soldiers to Cascadia and establish a joint naval airbase with the intention of deterrance. This force does not guarantee any involvment in a conflict Cascadia may find itself involved with due to the optional section of the treaty, but it very well could act as a deterrent against unruly neighbors."

Darius frowned at Jack before responding.

"A force of that size could be interpreted as something far more than a commitment to Cascadian defence Mr Saunders, that in itself would require bases all across your nation, which is something I can agree to. Such a large formation could be seen as provocative towards other North American states, especially given that New Babylon is what some could consider a superpower. The Holy Emperor has no intention of being seen to influence any region outside of our own through force of arms." he said.

"That said however, I can sign off on the deployment of the 7th Corps,  3rd Army. This Corps numbers 50,000 men. I will also arrange for the permenant redeployment of the Imperial Prerogative Carrier Battlegroup to the naval facilities that will be constructed. As a final show of good faith, I can deploy two squadrons of F-14's as part of the airbase facilities that will also be constructed."

"That would be absolutely wonderful. The troops can be stationed at JointBase Henry. Which is right outside of Grants Pass. The naval fleet can operate out of Naval Station Leif Ericson. Which is south of Coos Bay. As for the fights we are not sure where to put them."

"My friend, these are just plots of land for your soldiers and naval warships to build facilities on. We hope we may assist in the building as too learn your base techniques and to make and modify our own designs based off of yours. As with the army and navy. We were thinking your battle group and our navy could commence exercises by the end of this week. If that is alright with you. Army by the end of this month. We have just purchased a test model of a new artillery piece from Ubersteinia." Jack took a drink of water.

"Very good, whilst I am obliged to decline your request to assist us in building our facilities due to national security concerns, I can have engineers and military architects visit your own defence department and provide assistance in an advisory role to capitalise on your own base building?

It will take far longer than a week or even a month to have everything prepared. The fleet will arrive in two weeks time and will commence the work required for a prelimary base until the rest of the equipment needed arrives."

Darius would spend the next few minutes in silence as he drafted a copy of the treaty. The treaty would outline a free trade agreement, an optional defence agreement and an intelligence sharing agreement. In addition, clauses would be added to confirm that Cascadia had indeed granted permission for the Imperial military to build and maintain an Aerial and Naval military facilities with the intention of a permenant garrison of one army corps, one carrier battlegroup and two F-14D squadrons.

"How does that look?"

"That looks good, do you think we could review the treaty ever year for the next 5 years or until the point Cascadia becomes a regional power. Then at that point Babylonian forces will be removed but trade and optional defense will continue until either of our current governments choose to opt out. As well can we have confirmation that Babylonia will not interfere in any internal struggles and will leave it up to local forces.

"You have confirmation that New Babylon will not interfere with regional politics unless the security of our military facilities are under threat, or Cascadia is attacked. I can also affirm that the trearty can be reviewed in five years."