Evangeline Anovilis

w1DHNMGl.jpg

Sapporo just saw the first snow of the winter, which already seemed determined to cover Hokkaido under a white blanket. One of the largest cities of the Federation, Sapporo had been chosen to host a conference related to an ocean that it did not actually border, but which nevertheless influenced to a great degree the citizens lives, be it politically, economically or climatically.

The Greater Russian Empire, the Empire of Tianxia, the Calgarian Federation and the american Commonwealth would be informed of the conference, with invitations to attent, in order to debate matters related to trade and economic cooperation in a trans-pacific partnerships. Accommodation and food would be cared for by Dai-Tōhoku.

To Dai-Tōhoku:

The unofficial channels murmur that Dai-Tōhoku is hosting a summit for Pacific rim nations to discuss trade relations, but sadly Selenarctos does not seem to have received an invitation through the official channels. As the oldest continuous Pacific nation, we would be most embarrassed and humbly apologize if an invitation was sent but lost in our own bureaucracy, and request that an invitation be sent, or resent, to rectify the situation.

Thank you,
-Mr. Ed Alfaro, personal assistant to the President

Receiving the invitation, President Marston decided that this matter was important enough to merit his attending the conference in person.  Once the preparations had been made Air Force One would take the president across the vast Pacific Ocean and onwards to the land of the rising sun.

Foreign Minister Pytor Chernenko made the trip to Sapporo via government chartered jet. Chilling air scraped his face and left his skin red and puffy. The fact that Selenarctos had been overlooked amused him as his motorcade drove him through the city.

To Mr. Ed Alfaro,

Sadly it seems that the nation of Selenarctos indeed has been overlooked and that an official invitation had not been sent by our side. This comes as quite an embarrassment and sadly, due to the less than flexible planning of the conference and issues related to the plannings of the conference, where Selenarctos was overlooked already, most likely leading to this error, it can at this time not be rectified. However this was not intented to degrade the old and stable nation of Selenarctos or to be disrespectful of her longstanding sacrifices and committments it made to the Pacific community. We would wish to express our most sincere apologies, the nation of Selenarctos will be at least taken up as a point on the agenda for future considerations and we will be seeing to it that Selenarctos shall be invited to the major events planned in the future, such as the Sapporo Hanami Festival and the Emperor's Birthday.

With our most humble regards,

Sakai Wakatake

Dai-Tōhoku Diplomatic Corps

OOC: Invitees that have not yet posted, but which are willing to attent can post that they arrived on time if they want. But progressing this now.

IC:

The delegates of the different nations would be greeted by Prime Minister Nakamichi personally and guided to the Sapporo Convention Center, where a conference room had been reserved for the meeting. A round table had been prepared and every delegate would be given a few documents, which outlined the course of the conference crudely.

For the first noon, there was to be a greeting by Prime Minister Nakamichi as the host, then discussions till around 1 pm, when lunch would be served, in the afternoon would be further discussions, till in the evening dinner would be served. After the dinner, the delegates were free to retreat to their rooms, to tour Sapporo on their own or to accompany Nakamichi on his stroll along the Toyohira River. Of course, security personnel would be asigned to those who wandered off into the city on their own, if they wished for it.

But as lined out in the timetable, the beginning would be the short opening speech by Nakamichi Minoru, Prime Minister of the Dai-Tōhoku Renpō. After having waited till all people were seated, he would stand up and begin.

"Good Day, Gentlemen, Neighbours and hopefully soon Partners. I hope your journey was not too uncomfortable, as I guess it has been a rather long journey for some. I have invited you to this conference here today for a purpose. To create a partnership between our nations, for commerce and peaceful cooperation around the Pacific Ocean. The Pacific Ocean, after all, despite being the world's largest body of water, is also one of the greatest avenues of commercial shipping and of cultural exchange, between the Americas, East Asia, Oceania and last but not least, Russia. For centuries, this exchange has occured and for decades, the Pacific Rim has been a commercial hub with only minor disruptions, like the War against the Northern Imperium, however nothing which has ever been able to greatly disturb the commercial interest of Pacific states in their trade ventures.

Given that in recent years, there has been no major war in the Northern Pacific and I would say, the nations assembled have shown that they are stable and have mostly already decent ties with each other, we would like to invite you all to discuss with us here, how to best create a lasting peaceful Pacific neighbourhood, which profits us all in the long term and brings us all closer to each other."

Tianxia would propose several avenues for strategic cooperation within the Pacific.  

We believe first and foremost that stability is the key under current of trade.  As most of us are market-oriented albiet mixed economies our primary goals economically should be the lowering of barriers to investment, trade, and minimizing transaction costs doing business overseas.

As such we think that we can institute several key areas of commercial cooperation:

1. Agreement on reduction of tariffs and quotas
  2. Agreement on open foreign direct investment
  3. Pacific Development Bank and currency stabilization fund with voting shares based on countries.
  4. Common standards for import/export and security controls, especially around commercial shipping ports.
  5. Agreement on agricultural import/export controls, particularly around food safety and general guidelines for fisheries management
  6. Agreement on Intellectual Property standards

I believe we should also look at building strategic trust in the Pacific to provide commercial certainty of the safety in investment.

I would propose the establishment of a Pacific Interagency Cooperation Dialogue, perhaps located in Honolulu with its central location.  This can bring in the coast guards, national police, defense, and foreign ministries of the different Pacific Countries to keep operational communication and provide guidance.

As the Pacific is the among geological and meteorologically active parts the world we can also do trust building by joint disaster relief drills and assistance, perhaps by the commitment of rotating task forces of military, law enforcement/coast guard, and merchant marine assets from each nation under a rotating three star command, with officer exchange programs.

• 2 weeks later...

"I would like to say that in regard to point number two that a nation should reserve the right to act to protect areas deemed essential to the nation's security such as in the defense, financial , energy, or utilities industries from potentially undue and destabilizing foreign influence.  Other than that I can agree to all of the other measures proposed here".

"While we certainly understand things like national defense we need to be careful here about letting domestic political interests override international affairs.  A skilled lobbyist can make anything a matter of essential national security.  Further there are some who make things a bit too hyperbole.  For example while I agree the exfiltration of aerospace data is worth protecting, the idea that companies cannot invest financially or acquire stakes in energy providers I find somewhat suspect.  If a natural gas well in Pennsylvania has Russian Investment in it, and some issue breaks out between it and America, the American law enforcement can still take control of it under proper legal authorities.  I think its important we don't get too caught up and get too expansive here.  Further I think that restricting financials is a mistake.  It would make trade untenable.

If country is running a Trade Deficit or current accounts deficit, then they are also running a capital accounts surplus and need to be able to take advantage of that.  If we want to create win win trade, capital must flow freely absent due process cause to restrict it."

Current laws entitle the Russian government to majority ownership of crucial state enterprises, including but not limited to, energy and weapons manufacturing. However we welcome foreign investment in these industries and other industries throughout the Russian Empire.

"While we appreciate the standardisation of regulations to ease trade across the Pacific, may I ask in what form the security and quality controls, as well as intelectual property standards are going to be implemented? The specifics in these points could have a considerable impact on our economy, living standards and culture."