Soldier upkeep

Mandystalin

I have the following reductions on soldier upkeep:

5x Barracks @ 10% reduction each
5x Guerilla Camp @ 10% reduction each

So I should be getting 100% off my soldier bill, yet I am still being charged $0.38 per soldier per day. Why?

I also have Lead ($0.50 per soldier) so, in utopia, I should be being paid $0.50 per soldier per day
(I realise this last bit isn't how it works) :P

Why? Because you added up all the factors and that's not how it works. All like improvements are added together and multiplied against the base. So having all the barracks provides a 50% reduction. Having all the guerrilla camps gives another 50% reduction. A 50% reduction of a 50% reduction is only an overall reduction of 75% not the 100% you're using. The way multipliers work you'd never be in the position of having no upkeep or being paid.

So base upkeep is $2. Your lead reduces this to $1.50 (2-.5). Your barracks reduces this to $0.75 ($1.50*.5). Finally your guerrilla camps reduces this to $0.375 which rounds up to $0.38 (.75*.5).

If that is the case, then they really need to alter the Information Index, which simply states that 'Improvements are stackable'.

Also, how do they then work out which multiplier comes first for those that have unequal effects?

Again with barracks and guerilla camps, one boosts soldier efficiency by 10% and one by 35%

So (assuming one of each) does it:

1) take the base figure and increase by 45%
2) take the base figure and increase by 10%, then increase that figure by 35%
3) take the base figure and increase by 35%, then increase that figure by 10%

Quickly checking the maths, assuming an efficiency of 100:

1) = 145
2) = 148.5
3) = 148.5

So it is irrelevant which way round 2) and 3) are... and I assume they don't use 1)?

[quote name='Mandystalin' timestamp='1344332954' post='3019484']
If that is the case, then they really need to alter the Information Index, which simply states that 'Improvements are stackable'.

Also, how do they then work out which multiplier comes first for those that have unequal effects?

Again with barracks and guerilla camps, one boosts soldier efficiency by 10% and one by 35%

1) = 145
2) = 148.5
3) = 148.5

So it is irrelevant which way round 2) and 3) are... and I assume they don't use 1)?
[/quote]

Case 1 you are adding percentages. I don't think any percentages in CN go by addition. Cases like 2/3 will always be equal due to the commutative property of multiplication.

Edited by Therm

1) = 145
2) = 148.5
3) = 148.5

[/quote]

Like improvements are stackable. Different improvements do not. You'll note the example used to clarify the statement used in the Index is two banks. So all the same improvements add together to form a single multiplier. As Therm has already pointed out that due to the commutative properties of multiplication it doesn't matter which multiplier is used first.

1) = 145
2) = 148.5
3) = 148.5

[/quote]

All modifiers in CN (when similar yet from different causes) work like 2/3, whether efficiency or infrastructure.

[quote name='Captain Nathan Brittles' timestamp='1344366547' post='3019620']
Like improvements are stackable. Different improvements do not. [/quote]
I get that - but my point was that this is not stated in the Information Index, and it would be helpful if it was.

[quote name='Captain Nathan Brittles' timestamp='1344366547' post='3019620']
You'll note the example used to clarify the statement used in the Index is two banks. [/quote]
Which doesn't necessarily mean that one bank and one university are not stackable. Yes, i know they aren't, but only because you've explained it. Adding that fact into the Information Index would be helpful.

Edited by Mandystalin

If you first joined 4 years ago and are just now wondering about this, something tells me having that information in the information index would not have made much difference.

Should this be changed? Probably, but there is a laundry list of items a mile long I would prefer changed first.