Into the Abyss

Evangeline Anovilis

It was a cloudy day in Ehestadt and as Lieselotte left the Airport, she even wondered if it could not be raining while she was here. She sighed. At least finally she had some time for herself and not just for the realm, altough it still was agreed to talk about matters of the State Security. The Airport was a little bit outside of the city itself. It didn't need long to get a taxi and soon she had left the airport, looking over the landscape of Outer Manchuria. But the hills soon made place for Ehestadt and its port.

The city itself was a wonderful mixture of cultures, housing many chinese and Manchu, as well as Russianss and exiled Austrians. And each of them had left their traces on the land. Altough, also some modern cosmopolitan skycrapers stood around. Altough the taxi did not enter the inner city itself, the Outer districts were already crowded with all sorts of people, ranging from street peddlars to craftsmen, buereaucrats to clergymen. To some degree it was also noisy, altough Lieselotte had seen worse places.

To some degree, Lieselotte felt unwell. In the last days she just had worked to arrange so many things and now she was just tired. Her sister managed the country, but was she up to it? Well, maybe together with Charlotte, it would become some reasonable policy. Just as long as the neighbourhood...oh that neighbourhood. Lieselotte got a headache. But she hadn't got the power to just deal with it now. Hopefully Lisette had, but wasn't it always Lieselotte working on this. And as Lieselotte already imagined the demise of her country, the car reached the place in front of the New Palace in Ehestadt, modelled after the Hofburg in Vienna, in order to give the Archduchesses of Austria a homely feeling and to uphold the culture of a country that just at this very moment was germanified and mistreated in its soul.

Lieselotte paid the driver, took out her suitcase, sighed and walked towards the Entrance.

Walking up to the gates of Ehestadt Palace, two guards in white uniforms approached Lieselotte and bowed their heads. "Madam. The Princess, Angelika, is expecting you. We hope that your trip through the city and across the ocean was most pleasant. If you would follow us, we will show you to your rooms and then take you to the parlor where the Princess is waiting."

The palace itself felt like a ghost town, most of Ehestadt's flamboyant military force had been redeployed along with the recent declaration of war against the German Empire. Their footsteps across the marble and wooden floors echoed down the halls as the great entrance loomed over the Vicidalian woman. Staircases wound throughout the structure and large pictures and statues of Austrian and Chinese greats stood at hallway corners, looking at Lieselotte with fierce and unmoving eyes. Interior architecture had begun to change as well from the predominant Rococo and various Asian styles to match a new flowing Romantic feel, say if one could combine Romanticism with Neo-Classical, the arrangement could only be described as the flowering of life; a reflection of Theresia's new wild spirit.

But while the Amazonian Revolution was happening in the minds of the Hapsburg Sisters, they still continued with their love for all things beautiful in civilization and this was seen in how Lieselotte's room was made up. A large bed, which could easily fit three people, was pushed against the wall while the room also displayed a great vanity covered with perfumes and other beautification products, all presents to the Austrians' new guest. In the corner of the room was a harpsichord made from mahogany and ebony with ivory keys that glistened under the light of the chandelier, one could almost hear the notes still playing from a ghost that might frequent the room.

After dropping off her bags, Lieselotte was kindly asked to accompany the guards to the Archduchess' parlor. Upon arriving, Angelika stood up from her chair near the window with a smile on her face. Wearing the white uniform of an Austrian officer, she walked over towards towards the Vicidalian with her sword clanking at her side and her bright blue eyes shining in the light of the room. "Lieselotte, I was worried that you weren't going to respond to my invitation." She said and took her hands tightly. "Welcome, welcome to Ehestadt. Is there anything I can get you? Something to drink, something to eat? And shall we put aside business for relaxation first or business and then a few days of pleasure." Her smile lessened as she looked at the girl, "Because you do look tired."

"Business first. I can relax better, knowing things are done." Lieselotte was tired, but she still had her pride as Senechal to take state matters seriously. "And I would never ignore my appointments with someone like you, Angelika. I would have wasted such a great meeting, would I do that." Visibly exhausted Lieselotte smiled and took a package out of the suitcase. It was surely 1 kilogram or heavier and had a cubic shape. wrapped in brown paper, a box of finest Teak. "Only the finest wood from our Company and the finest coffee beans from our plantations. I hope it serves well in upholdin Viennese café culture." She handed it to Angelika. "After all, I also have to show my graditude, if someone lets me stay at such a marvellous place. This palace really is something else."

As she handed over the gift she had brought with her, she felt that she was a bit more worn out than expected. Her heart had began to hurt lightly. "Can I take a seat please? The flight was a bit harder as expected." Of the pain in her chest, she tried to show nothing. It was better not to worry the host.

"Oh, Lieselotte, you shouldn't have." Angelika said taking the box and opening it to smell the contents. "This is beautiful and the beans smell absolutely amazing." She closed it and put it on the ground next to her chair. "But please, sit, you look absolutely fatigued. So we can get this out of the way as quickly as possible and maybe move onto more enjoyable procedures." Angelika said sitting down but keeping two eyes sharply on Lieselotte's figure. She felt horrible, here was this young woman, so full of potential, so full of ideas and strength, and able to lead her nation into a new era and she was dying of body failure. Needless to say, as the Princess opened up her folder, in the back of her mind she was already thinking of possible solutions to the Vicidalian's problem and only the most generic pertained to simple surgery or pills.

"What I've looked at in the past week and I don't know much about Vicidalia's internal structures, but possibly creating structures similar to those found in Tianxia or in Ehestadt proper. I assume of course that you have a Royal Guard, but expanding this guard to be more of a secret service and a paramilitary group outside of the Princess' fingers and placed, I believe into your hands, Lieselotte would be more effective. I can speak to the Khan about potentially giving away old armor for you to copy from, but that would be pending. There is word, however, that your nation will be enjoying trade rights with our Indian Dependencies so that's good news for both of us. Security isn't hard to ensure, the name of the game is keeping internal threats; revolution, uprising, and so forth out of the game and squashing them easily. Brutality and staying out of the press' eye is always the best move."

She crossed her arms as the ideas in her head began to come to a finer point. "But that relies on your ability to execute movements, Lieselotte."

Faintly the Senechal smiled. "Well, I currently have the CISIV, the Centrale d'Information et Securitée internale de Vicidalia. Your advise will not be ignored. Altough not Palace Guard, the CIVIS still is well organised, observing what we deem worthy of observation, conducting missions inside and outside of our Grand Principality. Altough we are not able to prevent everything everywhere, we still have our people in good positions to strike and just recently, we may have caught some bigger fish, altough this will remain classified for now." Almost like an old lady dwelling in her youth memories, Lieselotte was sitting there, thinking about the successes and was smiling. "The press however will not be a problem in Vicidalia. It was outlawed and stays outlawed.Whatever happens, apart from the goverenment, noone has o know. And we know what we need to know."

After a short pause to restructure her thoughts, Lieselotte looked up to Angelika again. "I conduct my security like my battles. I prepare the field and let others come. Hand over the action, but try to keep the initiative and never lose control. And sometimes, a small uprising can be a blessing too." She giggled. Maybe she had spoken in riddles, however, she was satisfied with her speech and maybe Angelika could understand it. It was then, as the Senechal smiled, that a quiet sound notified her of something. "Hmmm, what could it be? Ehm would you please excuse me. I got news from Vicidalia. I'll be back in a minute." Still smiling, altough already visibly worried, Lieselotte left the room. In her current state, she was mostly unable to hide any feeling and just about a minute after the door had closed, a short 'thomp' could be heard, as if a bag of flour had hit the ground.

"Lieselotte?" Angelika said with a worried look as she got up out of the chair. Hearing the thud against the floor outside, her mind wandered with the terrible things that could have happened and when she opened the door, all of her terrors were justified. There was Lieselotte, laying across the floor, shaking and seizuring like a woman possessed. "Lieselotte!" The Princess cried and fell to the floor, holding her body. "Guard! Guard! Doctor! Doctor!" She cried out into the palace halls and the fearful trampling of boots echoed across the marble floor. Taking the Vicidalian in her hands, Angelika held her closed, looking into her dimming eyes, "Lieselotte, don't be scared, if you can hear me, everything is going to be okay. I swear it."

Then for Lieselotte this collapse world would fade into darkness.

---

When she awoke, she could easily presume she was dead. There were bright lights all over the room and it was empty except for the walls lined with surgical and medical equipment. She was hooked up to various machines and her pulse was beeping softly on a monitor behind her bed. The bed was comfortable with a thick mattress and soft pillows and she was dressed in a loose fitting hospital gown, all white while her chestnut hair fell over her shoulder. A moment later a door opened and Angelika appeared next to her bed, dressed in a lab coat with a small monocle resting over her eye. There was something glowing out of her coat pocket, some kind of gold liquid but it would be impossible to completely deduct what she held.

"You gave me quite a scare Lieselotte." She said and ran her soft hand over the girl's hair. "I read the notification on your phone, everything happening in Vicidalia and what does it do to you. It gives you a literal heart attack." Angelika shook her head and sat down on the bed. "You're younger than I am and you're body is failing you and then what, greatest mind of Vicidalia gone forever? I realized something when we were talking, Lieselotte, you have such a grasp on your country, you have such a warrior's mantle and heart and to be denied being able to help your country is the greatest tragedy I've ever seen. So, on that note, I called my sister and both of us want to help."

The Princess looked down and placed her hand gently over Lieselotte's heart. "We were able to stabilize you, but anything more, you need to have open heart surgery and probably a new heart which would severely limit your leadership abilities. The Lunar Republic, they say they can make people as good as they were, but I have a system from learning in Tianxia that you should make people better than they are." She reached into her pocket and pulled out a vial of a golden liquid and laid it on the table. "That is Ambrosia. During my...service as an Imperial Knight, a mad woman was able to perfect a Biological-Augmentation formula. It repairs the human body, while in this form, delicately increasing muscle mass, longevity, health regeneration and a few other select problems. I assure you it isn't a miracle drug and it has its side-effects, but it can repair your heart Lieselotte and give you the strength to take on a destiny that I will ask of you now."

She took Lieselotte's wrist and held it softly. "My sister, Theresia von Hapsburg, in lack of a better phrase has taken up the mantle of the Amazons and while I don't buy into the spirits and religious aspects that the people of the Steppe do, we're both extremely impressed with your abilities Lieselotte. How you run your nation and we want to offer you and your nation the chance that in the future, you would be willing to ride with us. Join us in the idea of sisterhood and I promise not one other thing will happen to you, I'll make sure that in time, you and our sisters are the masters of this world."

When Lieselotte had seen Angelika, she was quite shocked, but her mind still was clouded and her memories only slowly returned upon the Austrian recounting the events. Slowly the mist lifted, though her body was still heavy and she was not feeling much and every movement was causing pain. What hurt more though was the realisation that the time had come. for the longest while, she had taken the medicaments to prolong this, but now it had happened. At least, Lisette wasn't present. But wouldn't it be nicer if she were? Lieselotte felt no hope for a return. For her, life would most likely end, she thought. Just as the doctor had warned.

But, had Angelika not just proclaimed otherwise? She just didn't know anymore. Amazons? The mythological Amazons? Warrior women in the steppes of the Ukraine and the Pontus? Wasn't it now getting weird? Was she already losing her mind due to lack of oxygen? But then, what did she have to lose? A bit time in a coffin. She would gladly miss out on that and most likely, her time would be spend in there anyway, just a few decades later maybe. And if it was a dream, then it was completely pointless anyway. A pointless end of a pointless live. Lisette would have to fulfill her role. Oh Lisette, sister that remains...Louise, master whom I could not serve...there was nothing to lose, just this Ambrosia and maybe the chance to fulfill her duties.

"Angelika", she whispered "Do whatever is necessary. If I can remain it is worth every curse." Then she closed her eyes and fainted.

Angelika nodded and ran her hand over Lieselotte's forehead. "Everything will be fine now, just rest and the world will better when you awake."

As Lieselotte's eyes closed the Austrian Princess immediately set to work. She hooked up an IV into the Vicidalian's arm and began running medical drops first, to brace her body for the injection of Ambrosia. Then placing sensors over her stomach, chest, arms, and legs, she hooked them up to a large machine that showed Lieselotte's entire physical make up in percentages, mass, and problem points in her body. Watching the medical drops finish their circulation through the IV, Angelika took a deep breath and took the golden vial out of her pocket again. Bridgette Saenger, the mad scientist, had been the first to perfect Biological-Augmentation and during the Princess' time in spying on her, she had picked up a bit of the scientist's tricks. Together with other Tianxian doctors, she had perfected her own, more subtle version of the serum. Mentioning to Theresia, the Empress ordered it locked up, only used for the staunchest emergencies and thus Angelika had named it 'Ambrosia', the Nectar of the Gods.

Placing the needle into the IV, Angelika looked at the Vicidalian's worn face and nodded. "Whatever happens Lieselotte, we'll do this together." She said and the golden fluid streamed out into the medical bag and with a tap of her finger began to drip steadily down into the Senechal. The Princess smiled and kissed her forehead and went left the room, leaving Lieselotte alone as the serum continued to drip into her body.

Hours later, the Senechal would awaken, her eyes parting and she felt extremely rested, perhaps for the first time in her life. It was a pleasant feeling and then there was another feeling running through her entire body...and then her heart began to race...only this time it would be different...

Lieselotte was as if revitalised. It was as if pure energy was flowing through her body, and altough feeling warm and good, it also hurt, she closed her eyes. This was a nightmare, a complete nightmare. Her heart, it felt as if it was going to explode. Was this another attack? No. It was definetely different. When she had her attack, there was much less of a vitalising effect to it and also, she hadn't lost consciousness yet. She rolled from one side to the other, stretched and contracted herself, she just couldn't lay still. And suddenly, it stopped.

Lieselotte opened her eyes and after the eyes accustomed to the light, she saw clearly. The room was full of medical ecquipment, as if it was the emergency room of a hospital. Where was she? She didn't know. Slowly, she tapped towards the door and with a slight push, it flung open. Lieselotte backed down. What was that? Did she dream that, or had the door moved by itself? Regardless, she tapped further. Somewhere, someone had to be, someone able to tell her where she was and what this was.

Hearing the door crash, woke Angelika up from her slumber a few rooms over. She hadn't heard the beeping of the apparatuses going off when Lieselotte woke up and instead was greeted with a girl flinging open a door and stepping back in fear. Rubbing her eyes, Angelika walked in from the room over and took the Senechal's shoulder. "Good, you're awake. The operation was a success then, no problems and you're even back on your feet. Does everything feel better now, Lieselotte?"

Angelika walked back into the medical room and looked up at the sensory monitors. Everything showed signs of positive growth. Ambrosia for all its worth, was a success.

Lieselotte was perplexed. "What is this? Where are we? I thought I had a stroke. Normally, I'd be dead or in a bed. Not like this." By this she pointed at her whole person, as if to show that normally, one wouldn't roam around lively. Angelika, if this is a dream, please wake me up." The Senechal was lost. Completely lost. "I'm feeling better, but this is a dream, isn't it? And what was a success?"

Angelika sighed and took her by the shoulder as they walked further into the medical room. "You must not remember anything after your stroke upstairs. Lieselotte, you had a massive heart attack after the news about the recent problems in South America came in. We had to run you down here and do evasive heart surgery to keep you alive. When you came too for a little bit, well, you've changed. We have in our medical inventory, a very rare chemical that I've named Ambrosia. You have inside of you right now, the only manufactured form at the moment. But it's repaired your body as well as giving a few additional perks. If you want to call it that."

She took an apple out of her pocket and put it into Lieselotte's hand. "Just squeeze and you'll see what I mean."

Taking a deep breath, the Princess looked into the Senechal's eyes. "Lieselotte, you're too important to Vicidalia, to die like that. Everything is going to change now and you will be responsible for making sure Vicidalia lasts for an eternity in itself." She gestured to the monitors in front of them. "You see what I mean by changed. The sensors haven't picked up any bodily problems or anything extraordinary, though the serum has had its usual effects that I predicted. A slight increase of muscle mass, health regeneration by the lessening of anomalies and I'm sure you feel much better all around.

This isn't a dream. We have the journey of life ahead of us."

Lieselotte grapped the apple and grapped into...thin air. Wait, what? She looked closely. Juice ran down her hands. The apple had not posed any real resistance. Her eyes widened. But then it happened. Bit by bit...the memories came back. New Panama declining to accept the crown, Gallifrey betraying the plan and almost starting a Great War. the news from Nouvelle-France and of a coalition against Vicidalia. The enemies had lined up, it seemed. They had tried to harm the House of Vicidalia. The House she served. With a slight 'thud' the apple fell to the ground, the complete upper side squished to the point that it broke. From her fingers the juice dropped to the ground as she stood there. She licked it from her hand and it almost tasted like blood.

Looking closely, it was just juice though. How did it invoke the taste of something like blood? She did not know. But as her gaze fell upon the apple, it was clear, this power was not under control. By far not. "Angelika, this power is no joke. Learn me to wield it, please Also, you mentioned your sister. And Amazons. What do you mean by that?" As they passed one of the large mirrors one at times discovers in such castles, Lieselotte stopped. Blushing red, she stepped back and looked to the ground, avoiding eye contact. "Also, I'd like some clothes please."

Chuckling, Angelika wrapped her arm around the Senechal's neck and grabbed her shoulder. "I assure you, it will not be hard for you to wield, strength, power, might, all something that is used for your own doing in making sure that Vicidalia will not have rivals who would present a problem. Think of it now, Lieselotte, you don't have to rely on agents and assistants to do your dirty work; you can have it done with your own two hands and that is a rare gift in today's world. As to what I spoke about Theresia and the tribes of the Amazons. A change is happening in the world; too many nations have fallen into the stagnation of decadence. Their people cannot think, they only act according to the will of oppressors and government officials, building monuments to a world that is based on technology, on self-gratification, and of the collective hivemind. We can't allow that to happen and this clean, unmoving 'Order' has to be wiped off the globe. During her travels, my sister was lucky enough to inherit the mantle of Hippolyta and formed a large band of women warriors who are prepared to undo this worldly decadence. You fit the idea of a warrior and an Amazon to a point, Lieselotte, and with Ambrosia, you will so much more effective. We would be honored for you to ride with us as a Companion and as a Sister."

Then pulling her close, Angelika started to walk her towards the staircase leading up to the palace grounds. "And of course, by all means go up to your room and get changed. I'll be in the parlor waiting for you when you return. I need to get a shower myself. I've been watching you all night, I could use a bit of momentary relaxation."

Lieselotte went upstairs, however, most likely Angelika would wait quite a while. In order not to take apart the doors, the Senechal was more than careful. With her power, an apple was air, clothing was nothing. As Lieselotte assembled the clothes on her bed, she looked through them. Mostly, they were dresses, one uniform with trousers, and a else only a nightgown. The nightgown was quickly eliminated. That was for sure. But then, should she settle for a ling dress or just the uniform. While the dress was less of a problem to replace, given she had multiple of them, in contrast to only one uniform, the uniform still seemed practical, less vulnerable and far less likely to be torn. It was a hard decision, but going as she was now, was not a valid option for noblesse.

After some while, Lieselotte had settled on one of her wider and older dresses. While it prevented her from running, it still did not curtail mobility too much and altough it was old and more easy to accept as a loss, it was still rather sophisticated and a challenge. One thing Lieselotte already found out was, that if she did not move her hand with force, but just from one position to another, it would have enough strength, but if one focused on the position of the hand, it was less likely to destroy stuff. While others would hold their fork tightly, so it would not slip away, Lieselotte could not just apply pressure thoughtlessly. In her case, she had to put the fingers together to a form that was almost identical, allowing the fork to fit and the object to take less damage.

After spending an almost endless amount of time with trying to put on the dress, it finally ended in a limited victory. At least most parts of it she wore. Looking in the mirror, she really seemed somewhat more lively. But that was no achievement, considering her tired out state before. And as she slightly posed before the mirror, only moving minimally to preserve the fine piece of clothing, the words of Angelika came to her mind. Would she really be able to defeat all her opponents just with this one power? One opponent yes, but these were matters of the state. It would need more. Her power would not save her from the intellectual work. Because, only who posesses a good body and mind can be can last in the end. And just there Lieselotte remembeed her appointment downstairs. She had already been there over an hour in her room. Slowly she would descent the staircase.

"Excuse me. I had some trouble with the clothing."

Hearing Lieselotte enter into the room, Angelika turned around to see her dressed and looking much more energetic than she had before or really anytime the Princess had ever seen her. Though she couldn't help but laugh at the girl speaking about having difficulty with the clothing, for someone like the Senechal who had probably lived her entire life in a state of deterioration, this new strength and new focus would take a great deal of time to get used to and if she was going to join the Sisterhood then it might take even longer. But Angelika was happy to be working with her and fixed her a cup of tea in a strong pewter goblet that Lieselotte would have no problem drinking from.

"Well we'll just have to get your daintiness back Lieselotte. Can't have the Senechal of Vicidalia not able to drink tea from a beautiful porcelain cup." The Princess gestured to one of the chairs and crossed her legs. "So, have you given thought to my offer as to joining the Sisterhood? I think the Amazons would benefit greatly from your presence. Nevertheless, I can answer any questions you might have and then it might be a good idea to get your body focused again. You're living a whole new life now Lieselotte, no reason not to enjoy it to its fullest and then after that," Angelika walked over to the window and spread open the curtains to a beautiful summer morning in the north. "The waves are most definitely calling out to me."

"Well, of what use would my power be if it just forces others to do my work, as I cannot hold a pen anymore?" Lieselotte looked at her hand, the hand that had ripped through an apple as if it was gelée, or even worse, fog. This power was indead to be feared, but what use could it be. Thinking about it, it was certainly nice to have survived. And considering the story with Ambrosia, some Amazons were not that crazy anymore.In fact, they were more of a sign of how little Lieselotte knew. The world was wider as she had thought...or better, it was deeper. And of all that, Lieselotte knew almost nothing. But Knowledge is Power, and greater Knowledge would be greater Power. What else could she wish for her Highness?

But at the same time, she secretly cursed them. All these people making her life this hard and standing in the way of her Highness. Internally, as well as externally they were subversive to the reign of Vicidalia and if Vicidalia should ever prosper, she would need to eliminate the threat. Maybe her power wasn't so useless.Just a use had to be found.

"Well, before I do anything, control takes precedence. But you can tell me the tales of the Amazons, should we find the time for it. I can't join an organisation and then not know what it is about." Lieselotte laughed mischieveously.

"Follow me then, Lieselotte and I'll let you in on the secrets of control."

Angelika led Senechal out of the parlor and back through the palace towards the large glass doors that led out towards the garden. This was the first architectural design in the palace that was not distinctly Austrian or European, instead the pathways, trees, and small green houses were all of a Chinese and Japanese design, with small waterfalls burbling in the distance and murky grottoes illuminating rainbow colors from their cavernous depths. It was relaxing here and Angelika took Lieselotte down one of the gravel pathways into a small wooded grove near the rear of the garden, where there was no noise except for the wind gently blowing through the trees.

The Princess gestured to the ground as she took a seat on grass and moss and asked the Senechal to do the same. "Control comes, Lieselotte, from knowing what you body is capable of at all times. You have been given a new chance at life and with this new chances comes greater strength, dexterity, and stamina. But it is all for naught if you let this new power control you. My sister, Theresia, had a problem with depression and failure when she was younger and those feelings, that power caused her to be destructive in her decisions, but through meditation and understanding what she could achieve and what she was capable of, she became a stronger individual. You have to do the same. Even after you leave and return to Vicidalia, I want to teach you how to relax your body, your fingers, your mind, so that when you do pick up a tea cup, it won't shatter."

Angelika closed her eyes and took the Senechal's hands. "Close your eyes now and listen to nothing but the wind, feel yourself getting weaker and simply allowing yourself to blow into the breeze. Let the wind take you away and with the breeze, let it take your strength and your power, you can call for it again when you need it."

Only the burbling fountains ran across the quiet garden.

Lieselotte closed her eyes, altough she doubted the approach, as it seemed rather simple. Well, it couldn't hurt. Having closed her eyes, first nothing happened. It was just dark. Hopefully this would help with serving her Highness. And also it should make dealing with the rebels easier. Colombia should be returned, maybe if she did that...hmmm. And the Sisterhood. It sounded rather great, but would Vicidalia fit in? Would not the commoners try to pull some revolt again? Maybe there she should interfere with the CISIV. The thoughts just rushed through her mind. But then. Wouldn't the first step be to let this rest? Will there be a point in entangling oneself in all these thoughts just now? It wouldn't help to ease her tensions, if all the worries just haunted her. Maybe, it was time to... All was dark. Only the sound of the water was present. The wind blowed through her hair. But else, there was just the Darkness, a Void, Nothingness. No worries, no questions, nothing. She stroke over the sil in her dress, the grass on the ground. It was fragile and soft, but she felt it. The fine textures and differences. Her strength had increased, but her senses were not numb. Then, her hand caught onto something. It felt small and alive. Carefully, without much pressure she closed her fingers around it and felt how it crawled on her palm. It was still alive. Slowly, she opened her eyes, raised her hand and as she opened it, a ladybug took off into the sky. I did it, she thought.

Angelika had kept one eye slightly open as Lieselotte sat with her eyes closed in the difficult Lotus position, which wasn't particularly right, but would serve the Senechal for her first attempt at meditation. She watched the young woman sit there with her eyes closed, nothing happening, and then as the minutes began to pass, the Princess could see her features becoming less agitated and her breathing became more subdued. Angelika opened her eyes and leaned her head against her arm as she watched Lieselotte slip into a calmer state of being. A ladybug's wings fluttered through the sky for a moment before landing down on the Vicidalian's hand and landed right into the Senechal's fingers. Slowly her fingers wrapped around the bug and even in the shade of her hand, Angelika could hear the fluttering of the wings and she smiled.

When Lieselotte opened her eyes and her hands as the ladybug flew into the air. The Princess smiled and nodded her head. "That is how you can contain your strength, by being calm. Even in the heat of battle, if you can remain calm, you will have victory over your enemies. Just like you protected the ladybug from your own power." Angelika leaned over and patted her shoulder. "It's going to be a long journey, Lieselotte. But I definitely think we started off on the right foot."