wireless internet connections?

WarriorFrenchy

Hello.
First, I oppologize if this topic has already been addressed before, I've spent some time reading the various threads and thread responses regarding IP internet addresses and trading/helping or not trading/helping various nations that have used the same network as you. I'm posting this, because I'm extremely new and still kind of confused.

I totally understand about not letting friends/family log in to their nations from the same computer/house so that we can still trade and help each other in the game without being accused of cheating. My question is about public internet networks such as Starbucks, McDonalds, those used by universities etc. that are very large and cover alot of area. I want to know how we deal with users who unknowingly use the same large public network. Example, if I log in using the wireless network at my university, and my friend does the same thing once and we don't realize that we've loged in from the same network and accessed the game from there, will we be banned for trying to trade/help each other? I just want to make sure I clearly understand the rules pertaining to large public wi-fi spots.

Thanks for your patience, and again, I'm sorry if I've asked something that has already been asked, and I'm sorry if I'm not clear enough in my question. Thanks for the help. :)

[quote name='WarriorFrenchy' timestamp='1321299621' post='2844666']
Hello.
First, I oppologize if this topic has already been addressed before, I've spent some time reading the various threads and thread responses regarding IP internet addresses and trading/helping or not trading/helping various nations that have used the same network as you. I'm posting this, because I'm extremely new and still kind of confused.

I totally understand about not letting friends/family log in to their nations from the same computer/house so that we can still trade and help each other in the game without being accused of cheating. My question is about public internet networks such as Starbucks, McDonalds, those used by universities etc. that are very large and cover alot of area. I want to know how we deal with users who unknowingly use the same large public network. Example, if I log in using the wireless network at my university, and my friend does the same thing once and we don't realize that we've loged in from the same network and accessed the game from there, will we be banned for trying to trade/help each other? I just want to make sure I clearly understand the rules pertaining to large public wi-fi spots.

Thanks for your patience, and again, I'm sorry if I've asked something that has already been asked, and I'm sorry if I'm not clear enough in my question. Thanks for the help. :)
[/quote]

I go to a large university, and I'm afraid that if I continue using my university's network and another user has used the university's network, I'd be banned for using the same IP address as somebody else. I just want to make sure I don't make that mistake. Same thing goes for Starbucks, I know alot of people who play this game and go use the Starbucks network near my house, would I be banned for going there even if I don't know specifically who plays the game with that network?
Thanks, and sorry if this is redundant. I'm just trying to make sure I don't do anything to get myself or anybody else banned. I don't wanna screw up the game for me or anybody else tryin to play.

Bonjour WarriorFrenchy!

Your IP address is is not the only criteria that we use when deciding whether to delete a nation for multies. The best advice anyone can give you is to not intentionally interact with other nations on your network. If you interact with another nation and get a cheating alert, stop what you're doing because if it happena again, you could be deleted.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='sharpman10' timestamp='1323816060' post='2876970']
what about if my gf wanted to play cybernations and is only able to check it at school nd dont interact with each other to much will that count as cheating?

-Sharpman10
[/quote]

A very long time ago, they used to allow more than one nation on a single network if you informed the moderation team. Sadly, this is no longer the case due to many instances of abuse of the rule. Therefore, nations are not allowed to share a network. If your girlfriend decides to play, she has to do it from a completely different network than your own...otherwise, you're liable to have both of your nations deleted.

[quote name='nippy' timestamp='1323936823' post='2878733']
A very long time ago, they used to allow more than one nation on a single network if you informed the moderation team. Sadly, this is no longer the case due to many instances of abuse of the rule. Therefore, nations are not allowed to share a network. If your girlfriend decides to play, she has to do it from [u]a completely different network than your own[/u]...otherwise, you're liable to have both of your nations deleted.
[/quote]

Also, any network that a different CN player is on.

[quote name='WarriorFrenchy' timestamp='1321300627' post='2844671']
I go to a large university, and I'm afraid that if I continue using my university's network and another user has used the university's network, I'd be banned for using the same IP address as somebody else. I just want to make sure I don't make that mistake. Same thing goes for Starbucks, I know alot of people who play this game and go use the Starbucks network near my house, would I be banned for going there even if I don't know specifically who plays the game with that network?
Thanks, and sorry if this is redundant. I'm just trying to make sure I don't do anything to get myself or anybody else banned. I don't wanna screw up the game for me or anybody else tryin to play.
[/quote]

First things first, if you go to a university that only has a single network IP address, it must be a very, very small institution or your administration simply doesn't care about its students and makes them share a single cable modem. :)

At a typical large university you have dozens (even hundreds) of network IP addresses (usually it's a range of IP addresses that are unique to that institution). Indeed, the IP address for a computer in your dorm room using a wired connection (meaning you plug in an Ethernet cable from your computer to a port in the wall) is probably unique in relation to the one used by the camera monitoring the lobby of your student center and that one is unique in relation to the one used by the hot blonde co-ed in <insert major donor here> Hall. Where IP tend to be shared is in computer labs or places that are serviced by a wireless signal (one IP address for multiple laptops/devices). This is also true at a place like a Starbucks, a McDonald's or at a small hotel. If the area covered is large enough (large hotel, or multi floor structures, there will be multiple wireless sources and therefore multiple IP addresses in use.

I have logged into CN from multiple locations (both large and small) over my nearly 5 years of playing and given aid and participated in trades with dozens of players. At one point there was even another player that participating in the game that worked in the same office building as me. We didn't interact in game other than a couple of polite notes. I've never had a problem.

If you are worried and a bit paranoid: Play from your dorm room exclusively and never log in to the game from Starbucks or any other public place serviced by a wireless signal. Do not allow others to log into the game from your dorm room using your computer or any other computer. Ever. [url="http://www.whatismyip.com/"]Check your IP address here if you are curious or just want to confirm that your address is different than the guy two dorms over.[/url]

If you want to take sensible precautions: Do as the Mods have suggested here and don't interact in aid or trades with other CN players on or around your campus. Do not allow others to log into the game from your dorm room using your computer. Ever. Otherwise have fun and enjoy the game.

If you aren't particularly worried and just want to share in the fun with your friends: Do not allow others to log into the game from your dorm room using your computer. Ever. Otherwise, enjoy but be aware if you look like a multi to someone, there's a good chance you'll get busted and have to plead your case to be allowed to play again. That's not fun.