A meeting

HHAYD

[quote]
Private

To: The United States of America

Dear Oscar,

I wish to discuss a few matters that are a concern to both of our countries between us. Do you have the time for a meeting?

President Natas[/quote]

Edited by HHAYD

[quote]To: President Natas, Midwest Republic

(This letter from [u]Oscar McArthur [/u]to a local or foreign government citizen, employee and/or politician has gone through a congress screening for safety reasons.)

President Natas;

I would be honored to attend on behalf of the United States of America. Where shall this meeting take place?

-Oscar McArthur

[/quote]

[quote]To: The United States of America

Dear Oscar McArthur,

The Legislative Building in Chicago.

President Natas[/quote]

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='Fizzydog' timestamp='1307567603' post='2727265']
Oscar walked into the legislative building, flanked by two body guards, armed with nothing but batons. He shook hands with the nearest by person. "Where is President Natas?"
[/quote]
"He's waiting in conference room 371, it's on the third floor. The elevators are under repairs and the only staircase usable is all the way back. Also, please watch your step, we already had two people injured from tripping over broken floor tiles." the secretary replied, a bit loudly over the racking noise from the repair crews.

It was quite obvious that the building had taken quite a bit of damage during the civil war. Burn marks throughout the building, swiss-chessed walls and ceiling, occasional wires and pipes sticking out from the floors/walls/ceilings, dumpsters filled with debris from cleanup crews, taped-off sections of the building with "Do not enter" signs and lots more damages.

Edited by HHAYD

Oscar glanced at his body guards. "Alright, thank you."

Once he finished the long walk up the back stairs, Oscar began looking for conference room 371. Once he found it, he knocked rather loudly on the door, then stepped in. "Hello, President Natas."

"Good to see you Oscar. Take a seat. Sorry about all of the construction noise, this place got torn up pretty badly during the war, but was surprisingly still standing. My place? Just another pile of rubble." President Natas replied.

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1307569789' post='2727295']
"Good to see you Oscar. Take a seat. Sorry about all of the construction noise, this place got torn up pretty badly during the war, but was surprisingly still standing. My place? Just another pile of rubble." President Natas replied.
[/quote]

"The noise isn't a problem. Now, what did you wish to talk about?"

[quote name='Fizzydog' timestamp='1307570391' post='2727304']
"The noise isn't a problem. Now, what did you wish to talk about?"
[/quote]
"Trading. I feel that an economical treaty would benefit both of our countries' economies, though I'm not sure what you have in your mind."

[quote name='Fizzydog' timestamp='1307572692' post='2727334']
"Ah, yes. A good trade would help us both. Do you have a document of some sort?"
[/quote]
"I don't have one as I didn't know what you and your Congress had in mind. What I had in mind was no tariffs. I also feel that unified environment and labor regulation are needed to prevent businesses from either one of our country from moving to the other one to save money. That way, businesses could conduct trades more easily without having the opportunity to abuse the system.

It wouldn't help if one of us benefited at the expense of the other. We don't want a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_to_the_bottom"]"race to the bottom" situation[/url] do we?"

Edited by HHAYD

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1307578435' post='2727400']
"I don't have one as I didn't know what you and your Congress had in mind. What I had in mind was no tariffs. I also feel that unified environment and labor regulation are needed to prevent businesses from either one of our country from moving to the other one to save money. That way, businesses could conduct trades more easily without having the opportunity to abuse the system.

It wouldn't help if one of us benefited at the expense of the other. We don't want a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_to_the_bottom"]"race to the bottom" situation[/url] do we?"
[/quote]
"This is exactly what our country stands for. I'm sure congress would enjoy all of those ideas. I, on behalf of authorization of congress, would probably accept this treaty."

[quote name='Fizzydog' timestamp='1308280543' post='2732854']
"This is exactly what our country stands for. I'm sure congress would enjoy all of those ideas. I, on behalf of authorization of congress, would probably accept this treaty."
[/quote]
"Good to hear. Since none of us brought any advisers or experts with us, I propose that we agree on a framework, set the deadline to three years from now and let our negotiators and legislative bodies fight over the details." President Natas replied as he pulled a sheet of paper and a pen from his suitcase and wrote a rough draft:

[quote]
Preamble: This framework will serve as the creation of an economical treaty between Midwest Republic and United States of America:

Article 1: Once the economical treaty is agreed on and signed, Midwest Republic and United States of America will agree to not place tariffs, quotas, or any other restrictions on each others' trade.

Article 2: To ensure neither country takes advantage of the other, both side will agree on unified environmental, labor, financial and general business regulations.

Article 3: Both counties will have at most three years from the day of the signing to agree on an unified environmental, labor, financial and general business policy.

Article 4: It is optional for both countries to also unify departments that regulate environmental, labor, financial and general business policies.

Article 5: The framework's deadline can be extended.
[/quote]

"Anything else to add, or delete?" President Natas asked.

Edited by HHAYD

"All I suggest deleting is Article 5. We do not want this event to turn into a constant disagreement, or a circle of madness. The worst that could happen is the treaty is delayed to the point it will be useless. The deadline is 3 years, and that is a fact. If our countries cannot work together in that period of time, then the treaty should not exist in the first place.

If you accept my idea, I shall sign this deal. Congress has given me authorization."

[quote name='Fizzydog' timestamp='1308375092' post='2733705']
"All I suggest deleting is Article 5. We do not want this event to turn into a constant disagreement, or a circle of madness. The worst that could happen is the treaty is delayed to the point it will be useless. The deadline is 3 years, and that is a fact. If our countries cannot work together in that period of time, then the treaty should not exist in the first place.

If you accept my idea, I shall sign this deal. Congress has given me authorization."
[/quote]
"Fair enough, I'll drop Article 5." President Natas replied as he crossed out the sentence on the paper.