East, West, Points of the Compass

Subtleknifewielder

"Ha! They sure have style! " one of the aides commented to a guard as he waited for the letter the Queen was composing. "Those Canucks I mean...and they have balls in spades."

The guard, silent as per her job, simply nodded, otherwise not shifting in the slightest from her position at the door. Not even to comment on the mixed metaphor.

The Queen cleared her throat meaningfully, and the aide snapped to the task at hand. "Make sure this gets to their Secretary of State, Post Haste."

----

[i]To: Secretary of State Michel Leblanc, Canuckistan

Greetings, from across the Sea, and from one military leader to another

For some time your nation has been in the thick of controversial issues on your continent, from the ever-aggressive Great Lakes Provinces to the situation on the Eastern Seaboard. Through it all you have conducted yourselves with honor, courage, restraint (when called for), and as one of my aids just put it...'style.'

This, coupled with the fact that our mutual Ally in Cochin has deemed you worthy as an ally, has sparked our interest in your fine nation. I am awarethat your state is in a period of transition, however, if the leaders in place after the elections are of half the caliber as yourself and your fellow triumvirs, we would still be interested in arranging a diplomatic visit, either here in Darwin, or your own capital, whichever would be more convenient for yourself, or whomever you deem worthy to represent yourself.

Please reply wit h your answer ASAP.

~HRH Hannah Asgeirsson, Queendom of Australia[/i]

General LeBlanc was unofficially in the Imperial Hudson Reich directing Canuck military operations in the East, but at the moment there seemed very little to direct. Peace was being negotiated with the Great Lake Provinces and the planned assistance to the United States seemed futile. The Americans had not responded to their offers of assistance and weren't offering much resistance anymore. The tragic collapse of American liberty seemed imminent.

When LeBlanc received the letter from the Queen of Australia, he had been contemplating a return to Canuckistan, but seeing the invitation to some diplomatic soiree from a crowned head of state made him rethink his plans. Polling results coming in from his campaign manager back home showed him 14 points ahead of his closest opponent in the election for First Citizen, and every possible scenario for the run-off election saw him winning with a substantial mandate. After the election, his life would be filled tedious state visits and political schmoozing. This was the last time he would able to mingle with his troops as an active commander, and not as a ceremonial inspector.

He penned the following reply and had it sent to the State Department in Sipatau, which then sent it officially to Australia.

[i]To HRH Hannah Asgeirsson,

The people of Canuckistan thank the Queendom of Australia for your kind words.

As you noted in your letter, Canuckistan is in a state of transition. Elections under our new constitution are currently underway and the triumvirate will not be in power for long. It might be better for our two nations to conduct the kind of visit you've suggested after the transference of power has taken place, which is only a few weeks away*. Any new Canuck government I'm sure would be pleased to receive a diplomatic visit from your nation.

But if you desire a meeting before our election has been decided that can be arranged as well. Perhaps, in that case, the meeting can take place in your nation. Unfortunately, I would personally be unable to attend such a meeting at this time, but another triumvir could attend in my place. Though I am Secretary of State, we are all equally heads of state.

Michel LeBlanc
Triumvir and Secretary of State[/i]

*OOC: because my representative at the peace conference with the GLP has a title under the old government, I'm holding off the election until that finishes. I don't really want to start another thread with another member of the old government as that'll just put things off more. <_<

[i]To: Secretary of State Michel LeBlanc, Canuckistan

If you feel it is better to wait until after the elections, you are more aware of the necessities and shifting politics of your own nation. No serious agreement can be made with absolute certainty while the end result is not yet clear. I can wait.

Just remember it's not polite to keep a lady waiting too long.

~HRH Hannah Asgeirsson, Queendom of Australia[/i]

OOC: Fair enough. I can wait...but we can still use this thread when that is all done... ;)

Oh, and I thought you'd appreciate that little bit of humor at the end there :P