Reception of an Ambassador

A car sat near a runway in the airport of the capital, Neu Corpus Christi. The driver was waiting for the ambassador from North Germany to land. He had instructions to drive him to meet Josef Mender, head officer of the Foreign Affairs Ministry. There they would discuss where he would be staying, what the two nations can do for each other, etc.

The plane started to descend onto the runway, it was dark outside due to the cloudy weather and night time but the runway was lit up brilliantly. The plane landed, taxied, and then stopped. The Ambassador Van den Berg departed the airplane and the driver received him, "I'll be driving you to meet Josef, come along. I'll take you through the most delightful parts of the city first. It will remind you of a town from home possibly. "

Edited by Otto Verteidiger

A man on his late fifties stepped down from the plane. He was thin, and his hair war sharply cut, hinting to his military past. He always stood upright in spite of using a cane, which he needed in order to walk, yet somehow he managed to still seem strong enough to fight his way through a battle anytime anywhere.

"Hello there. That sounds great. I cannot imagine someplace so far away from home resembling it...but I will shed my skepticism and will take a good luck." He moves quickly, in spite of the cane, to the vehicle and enters unassisted, his bright gray eyes watching everything with intensity. He carried also a small briefcase, a small metal briefcase of diplomatic contents.

The driver climbed in and started to make his way through the city, "I believe you will be struck by a somewhat image of home here. Especially the capital, which many buildings take a timber frame build or Gothic style of architecture."

The driver pointed to some homes on the side of the road leading to Neu Corpus Christi, timber framed mostly, some mixed in with modern influences. They passed the biggest cathedral in the whole country, a huge structure resembling many of the Gothic ones in Germany and mainland Europe. As they approached the capital building, the driver pointed out that many of the buildings and such were styled somewhat after Berlin, especially the Capitol building, which looked similar to the Reichstag.

The driver pulled in the driveway to the Capitol and stopped the car, Josef waiting on the steps of the building. "Tell me what you thought before you depart. More home than you thought possible?" The driver smiled.

"Good Ravens. I would have never imagined..."

The resemblance was striking. Even the Cathedral was similar...even though Northern Germany was no longer Christian, the buildings were essentially the same, just with different symbols. It all seemed like Berlin...that is, old Berlin, before it had been destroyed several times over. This country was the Germany of the past...no, not the Pre-Silver Germany, maybe closer to Imperial Germany. Even though Northern Germany was the one into the most archaic traditions, perhaps this country represented the archetypical Germany better than both Northern Germany and Southern Germany by a large margin.

Things had changed. But in spite of that, they remained the same.

"It is as if they had saved our buildings from destruction and had them brought here instead. Now you just need a few dams holding off the ocean and you're good to go." Indeed, the Ambassador was from Low Germany, where Dutch and Deutsch both had fought against the water for a long time.

He gets ready to move on. The report to Berlin should be interesting.

The driver smiled, he knew the man would be impressed. "We always get tourists from Europe, Germany especially, coming here to see things that they could see back home. I'll leave you meet Josef now, it was nice meeting you." Without giving his name, the driver got in the car and drove off.

Josef was at the top of the steps, to his right and left were banners hanging off the exterior walls of the Capitol. Banners flew between all the pillars on the exterior wall, it looked impressive to say the least. The colors would remind anyone of old Imperial Germany. The building itself was huge, old, and made of stone and marble. Josef walked down the steps and shook hands with Van den Berg, "Follow me to my office where we can sit and discuss important matters between our nations. Was your flight pleasant? How did you enjoy the city so far?" Josef stepped up the steps and waved for the guards to open the tall doors into the Capitol.

Indeed. German tourists...soon, they would be commonplace. Although in a way, they wouldn't be tourists at all.

"Take care. It was a pleasure." He nods, and then heads for Josef, whose hand he shakes firmly, perhaps too firmly. He follows him, having to make a little extra effort to overcome the steps, but never complaining. He wouldn't miss out on seeing the place from the inside, which surely had to be just as beautiful. "Well I'll tell you one thing. There's only one bad thing about this country so far...that it is far away. I wish that it were closer so it would be easier for others to see such a beautiful city. That is all I can say! Heh." He smiles for a moment, although he still seems like a serious man in spite of his display of emotion.

"I'm sure a liberal travel policy between our nations could be arranged to make it easier for citizens of both nations to travel back and forth," Josef smiled as he led the ambassador to his office, "The people of our nation obviously have a desire to see the Old Country at points, though not as greatly as you might think. Though I'm sure if you knew the background of our nation, you'd know why."

Josef opened the door to his office and waited for the man to enter, "Have a seat in front of my desk." The office was very plain, no decorations or anything. A desk, some papers on it with some pens, a mini-flag holder and flag, two seats that sat in front of the desk, and directly across from Josef's seat was a painting of Karl Verteidiger, former ruler of Republic of War, precursor to Amerikanisches Reich, Otto's father. No real luxuries.

Mr. Mender took a seat himself after standing for a bit and went straight to business, "Obviously our nations share something. History, culture, etc. We have a unique bond. A way to make that bond greater is through diplomatic relations, trade, and other gestures. Does North Germany have any ambitions and hopes in sending you here?"

"Yes. We understand. I suppose it is like remembering one's past. One may sometimes wish to go back in nostalgia...but few people would want to remain in that past indefinitely. After all, it was left behind for a reason." He nods.

"We would like to arrange said policies. Normally, it is somewhat difficult to get into our country. But we have been changing that as of lately on a case per case basis, and this is one of our best options."

He tucks a hand in a pocket, but then takes it out as he sits at the desk, leaving his can on the side, resting against the desk as well. This was too similar to Germany - offices had the basic things which they needed, a small flag or portrait and were not overly luxurious like most countries tend to be. Better to use that extra 1000 Marks you'd spend in decoration to help build a school somewhere, after all.

"We do have ambitions...you probably know what it is like in Europe. There isn't exactly much unity among Germanic peoples. In fact, we know that one fine day, Southern Germany is likely to gun for us...but." He grins. "Our Chancellor's loyalty is not to his State but to the German Nation as a whole. That is why we have a peaceful stance against 'em. But it is a sad situation. Then there's Denmark whom we nearly went to war with...in any case, this nation, your nation is too part of the German Nation if nation is defined as "volk", which is normally the case for us. We want our nations to be friendly, to look after each other, perhaps something reminiscent of old Britain and USA in a way. What we want is our people to be friendly to each other, to be in contact and understand each other's world views, to know that on the other side of the ocean there's someone similar to them. Maybe this will serve as an example for other nations and benefit the world at large...we're trying to reach out for someone similar."

He grins.

"That and I heard you guys have some excellent micro breweries..."

Mender laughed, "Yes, we do have some very good breweries around here. I'm sure after we're done with business I can take you to a good beer hall, something else that will remind you of home."

He scribbled something on a piece of paper real quick and continued speaking, "I am sorry to hear that it's like that in Europe. Can't say we keep to updated with Europe nor do we have much of an interest. However, trying to reach out to someone similar, you'll find a friend in us. But maybe not as much as you were hoping. The way nation is defined for you is entirely different from us. Amerikaners regard themselves as Germans but only by ethnicity, other than that, they're Amerikaners. The "volk" to us is the people in our nation, not the German people abroad. But we can't say we don't hold some bond with the German people.."

He looked at the paper he scribbled on before, "Ah yes. What I wrote on this paper is what I think we should include in some sort of treaty. This treaty's purpose will be to further diplomatic relations with one another, to further the bond we already do hold with one another, to trade with one another, and to allow ease of travel to one another's nation. This will all be hopes to possibly later to revisit to maybe expand to military defense, etc. Is there any more things you wished to press for in a treaty as of now?"

"Well, we do speak the same language in the end...that's a cultural connection regardless. That counts more than you can imagine. Either way, if we're friendly enough, the differences will be forgotten, the similarities will count. I'd love to have some of that beer later...that is exactly what I wished for a treaty, a framework to make things official. If someday we upgrade it, good, if we don't, also good. We're far away, too. We do not normally treaty people so far away from home, you're an exception."

"I've just learned news of the unification at the expense of men who are posted at radars everywhere. This kinda goes against the whole, them gunning for you thing, hm?" He laughed, "So I hope you still have the authority of your nation to forge a treaty?"

He scooted a paper across the desk, "There will be some edits for sure, you can mark them. As I am afraid I don't want what your country wishes to be called formally.."

[i]Preamble[/i]
In recognition that the Volk of Amerikanisches Reich share a special bond with the Volk of Deutschland (edit possibly) through their similar culture, language, and ancestry, we bring these two nations together. This treaty is to strengthen that bond, to trade with one another, to exchange dialog with each other.

[i]Article I - Non-Aggression[/i]
Deutschland and Amerikanisches Reich agree to not engage each other through open or covert military means, economic means, or propagandist means.

[i]Article II - Trade[/i]
Both signatories agree to allow for the ease of trade between the two nations through no tariffs, less regulation when applicable, etc.

[i]Article III - Freedom of Travel[/i]
In recognition that the Volk of either nation wish to travel to the other nation, both signatories implement open border policies in regards to the other. Security can be implemented as long as it does not severely disable the freedom of travel.

[i]Article IV - Violation[/i]
If any signatory is found to violate these Articles, both signatories will come together to discuss how to correct the violation or to cancel the treaty.

[i]Article V - Cancellation[/i]
If Deutschland or Amerikanisches Reich wishes to cancel this treaty, they may do so at their discretion but 48 hours advanced notice must be given.

[i]Signatures:[/i]

Mender smiled, "The sooner we formalize this, the sooner we can drink."

"Well last thing official I heard was precisely that, they were indeed gunning for us. I do have authorization to sign this treaty, which is what we want...but I should talk to Berlin first to make sure, after all of this. Please do give me a minute."

He takes out something that resembles a cellphone, but has a qwerty. He dials to the Chancellor, who is then made "present" at the office as he's displayed in the small screen, and his voice is heard outloud. There, he briefs them both exactly on what has happened, which was a surprise even to him. He promises to verify the treaty in a few hours, and he does so, for later it is approved by both [i]Ratherren[/i], one for the north one for the south, as well as the Althing Parliament. Delayed, but done.

"The only thing then it lacks is the signature from you and myself, and a title. I am afraid I am drawing blanks, do you have a suggestion?" Mender had a few ideas, but wanted to leave the title to the ambassador.

[i]Preamble[/i]
In recognition that the Volk of Amerikanisches Reich share a special bond with the Volk of Deutschland (edit possibly) through their similar culture, language, and ancestry, we bring these two nations together. This treaty is to strengthen that bond, to trade with one another, to exchange dialog with each other.

Deutschland and Amerikanisches Reich agree to not engage each other through open or covert military means, economic means, or propagandist means.

Both signatories agree to allow for the ease of trade between the two nations through no tariffs, less regulation when applicable, etc.

In recognition that the Volk of either nation wish to travel to the other nation, both signatories implement open border policies in regards to the other. Security can be implemented as long as it does not severely disable the freedom of travel.

If any signatory is found to violate these Articles, both signatories will come together to discuss how to correct the violation or to cancel the treaty.

If Deutschland or Amerikanisches Reich wishes to cancel this treaty, they may do so at their discretion but 48 hours advanced notice must be given.

Josef Mender, Minister of Foreign Affairs, on behalf of the Kaiser of Amerikanisches Reich, Otto Verteidiger

[center][b]Vinland Accords[/b]

[i]Preamble[/i]
In recognition that the Volk of Amerikanisches Reich share a special bond with the Volk of Deutschland through their similar culture, language, and ancestry, we bring these two nations together. This treaty is to strengthen that bond, to trade with one another, to exchange dialog with each other.

Josef Mender, Minister of Foreign Affairs, on behalf of the Kaiser of Amerikanisches Reich, Otto Verteidiger

Van den Berg, Ambassador to Amerikanisches Reich, for Germany[/center]

"It's official now, we look forward to elevated relations later in our histories. I think we shall go to a beer hall now, ja?"

OOC: Just made up the signature, can always edit if you'd prefer something else.

Edited by Otto Verteidiger