Great Vauleyo-Buryatian People's Cultural Revolution

[b]***Presidential Palace***[/b]

The ambassador quietly took her seat as the meeting got underway.

"In answer to your first question...why did Australia fail to mention that an offer of asylum was extended to the Zuganovs? Because after looking at the letter sent by my ambassador...we made no offer so specific."

She placed a copy of Jesse Hendrickson's letter to Anatoly Zuganov on the table.

[i][quote]The Queendom, while unfortunately not able to have recognized the independence of your movement, recognized the peaceable nature of said movement, and does regret that blood had to be spilled over it.

Therefore, any individual who can prove they took up no arms in support of this independence will be granted asylum. This includes you and your family. However, we will not provide assistance...you and your family must reach embassy grounds first. I am sure you understand that we have no wish to provoke an international incident. However, neither does Vauleyo-Buryatia, we are fairly certain, so once inside the embassy, you are safe.[/quote][/i]
"While it does imply that it means the Zuganovs, it by no means promises them certain asylum. It [b]specifically[/b] states 'any individual who can prove they took up no arms in support of this independence. This Includes you and your family.' This means that only if the Zuganovs could prove they had no violent intent, would they would be granted asylum."

"Also, I note, that the individual in question you referred to, a [b]single[/b] individual, was killed by your own police forces, and only after his family made it into the embassy were they even brought up as an issue." She stared hard at the President, daring him to contradict her as she spoke.

"Second, I sought no delay. I had not been apprised of the situation until after it had developed into a problem. In this point, Miss Hendrickson was derilict in her duty, and she will be dealt with appropriately."

"Third. The evidence presented was what I just presented to you. Any delays, as you call them, were attempts on my part to clarify the matter to my own satisfaction. Being leaders, we all know the dangers, I think, of releasing a statement without all the facts, do we not?"

Finally, the ambassador spoke up. "As for the last point, I talked to Lyudmilla Zuganova personally. She herself is willing to submit to a formal trial on the grounds that the trial can be [i]assured [/i]of being impartial. In other words, a neutral observor to ensure that the trial is conducted fairly."

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote] "While it does imply that it means the Zuganovs, it by no means promises them certain asylum. It specifically states 'any individual who can prove they took up no arms in support of this independence. This Includes you and your family.' This means that only if the Zuganovs could prove they had no violent intent, would they would be granted asylum."[/quote]

[i]“The charges against Lyudmilla Zuganova are not related to taking up arms against the government of Vauleyo-Buryatia, therefore the message in question clearly suggests that an offer of asylum was on the table for Mr. Zuganov and his family. While the charges against her late husband are more complex in nature, the need to prove that Anatoly Zuganov took up arms against Vauleyo-Buryatia is not a matter of urgency at this point.”[/i]-Deputy President Ourumov

[quote] "Also, I note, that the individual in question you referred to, a single individual, was killed by your own police forces, and only after his family made it into the embassy were they even brought up as an issue." She stared hard at the President, daring him to contradict her as she spoke.[/quote]

[i]“My government, via communication with the Australian Embassy already explained exactly why Ms. Zuganova was not mentioned until after it was determined that she had accompanied her husband. It was explained that initial intelligence suggested that Ms. Zuganova had intended to remain behind and seek to find an alternative method to flee the country. That is why the initial communiqués only mentioned a single individual, Anatoly Zuganov.”[/i]-President Andropov

[quote] "Second, I sought no delay. I had not been apprised of the situation until after it had developed into a problem. In this point, Miss Hendrickson was derilict in her duty, and she will be dealt with appropriately."[/quote]

[i]“The evidence you just presented was already in our possession. As a matter of fact, our request for clarification contained a high quality photocopy of that document. There was a detailed and prolonged delay to several requests for clarification and requests that Ms. Zuganova be turned over to Vauleyo-Buryatian authorities. This delay persisted despite the assertion that a Vauleyo-Buryatian hospital would be better suited and equipped to treat her injuries than the medical wing of an embassy.”[/i]-President Andropov.

[quote]
"As for the last point, I talked to Lyudmilla Zuganova personally. She herself is willing to submit to a formal trial on the grounds that the trial can be assured of being impartial. In other words, a neutral observor to ensure that the trial is conducted fairly."[/quote]

Turning to the Ambassador, clearly annoyed, Deputy President Ourumov replies:

[i]“And what do you mean by ‘assured’ to be impartial? You have no evidence whatsoever to suggest that the Vauleyo-Buryatian Judiciary would not be impartial, therefore I strongly urge you not to make such irresponsible, insulting and baseless accusations.

The Vauleyo-Buryatian Judiciary, under the guidance of Vauleyan Common Law is and always has been an independent institution and has done its duty in a just and impartial manner for decades. To suggest or imply otherwise, without evidence, is a gross insult to Vauleyo-Buryatia. Such conduct is unbefitting of an Ambassador.”[/i]-Ourumov

With a calmer tone, President Andropov spoke:

[i]“I’ll ignore your comment about the impartiality of Vauleyo-Buryatia’s judiciary. While there is no reason for an international representative to be present at the trial of Ms. Zuganova, I would be willing to petition the Supreme People’s Court of Vauleyo-Buryatia to determine if they would permit a single international observer to be present for the duration of the trial.

The question still remains, will the government of Australia grant Ms. Zuganova asylum, thus preventing the Vauleyo-Buryatian People’s Police Force from executing a warrant for her arrest, or will your government turn Ms. Zuganova over to the authorities so that she can be brought to trial?” [/i]

[b][u]BCNA News: Supreme People’s Court begins trials[/b][/u]

[i]“According to a detailed statement from the Supreme People’s Court, the Court has started trial proceedings of at least 34 unidentified individuals who were arrested in relation to the uprising in East Ingushetia several weeks ago. The Supreme People’s Court also reaffirmed the authorization for regional courts, both inside and outside of the East Ingushetia Autonomous Region, to hear cases against the more than 9,500 people being held in detention. As is the normal practice in cases involving charges of terrorism, most of the trials will take place behind closed doors.

The Supreme People’s Court has indicated that each individual would, regardless of the manner of their arrest, be granted access to legal counsel if they are unable to afford private representation. The State Prosecutors involved in some of the more high profile cases, such as that of Yuri Kalinovic (Self Declared Defense Minister of the Republic of Siberia) have indicated their intent to seek the maximum punishment available under Vauleyo-Buryatian Law, which in most cases is the death penalty.

Despite frequent queries by the media, the Supreme People’s Court has refused to comment on the status of Ms. Lyudmilla Zuganova or if she will be tried in absentia if she is granted amnesty by the Australian government. Ms. Zuganova is of particular interest to the State Prosecutors due to her position within the [b]Movement for the Salvation of East Siberia (MSES)[/b] as well as her activities undertaken prior to her association with MSES. At this time, our news team believes that Ms. Zuganova remains hiding in the Embassy of the Queendom of Australia along with her son.

Earlier today we attempted to visit the Australian Embassy to request an interview with a diplomat, however we were turned away at a nearby police checkpoint. As the trials of those in custody begin, the question every analyst is asking is simple:

[b]‘Will the Zuganova issue be the cause of a collapse in diplomatic ties between the Australian and Vauleyo-Buryatian governments?’[/b]

Only time will tell.”[/i]-Reporter

[b][u]BCNA News: First cases completed[/b][/u]

[i]"As the Supreme People's Court begins to hear cases from the latest uprising in East Ingushetia, the court has completed the last of the remaining cases from the last uprising. According to a document published by the Supreme People's Court, of a total of 8,200 persons charged with crimes:

5,215 sentenced to death
2,000 sentenced to between 3 and 50 years in prison
13 given probationary sentences
972 released

The vast majority of those receiving the death sentence were found to be members of the banned Liberation Army of East Siberia (LAES), who waged an armed campaign against the state for several months, or those who provided direct assistance to the LAES in carrying out bomb attacks during the uprising. The remainder are those who provided significant financial, logistic and material support to the LAES during its uprising.According to the Supreme People's Court, the death sentences against the individuals will not be carried out immediately as they are guaranteed the right to appeal against their sentences.

As the cases from the latest uprising begin, some State Prosecutors have noted what they describe as a 'small but significant overlap' in the membership of the Liberation Army of East Siberia (LAES) and the Movement for the Salvation of East Siberia (MSES). These Prosecutors have suggested that they can gather sufficient evidence to prove the links between the two organizations, but the defense lawyers for several individuals have rubbished these claims and have vowed to prove their client's innocence. The latest round of trials are guaranteed to take a significant amount of time and manpower to complete since initial reports suggest that there are approximately 18,900 persons in custody. Several of these individuals have had to be transferred to military and civilian prisons in low crime areas outside of the East Ingushetia region due to a lack of space.

Deputy President Grigori Ourumov has urged the East Ingushetia Regional Police Force to 'continue to search for the remaining individuals belonging to the LAES and the MSES who are suggested to have links to either attacks on the state or connections to the devastating bomb attack' so that they can be brought to justice. This has fueled speculation that several more individuals are likely to be arrested before the trials have been concluded. The families of fifty-seven of the individuals detained have filed official protests with the Supreme People's Court suggesting that Deputy President Ourumov 'has used the powers of arrest in a haphazard and lopsided manner aimed at crushing all pro-Independence organizations in the region'. The court acknowledged receiving the official protest and has ordered investigators to look into the matter."[/i]-Reporter

[quote name='Imperator Azenquor' date='17 June 2010 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1276826577' post='2341347']
[i]"The charges against Lyudmilla Zuganova are not related to taking up arms against the government of Vauleyo-Buryatia, therefore the message in question clearly suggests that an offer of asylum was on the table for Mr. Zuganov and his family. While the charges against her late husband are more complex in nature, the need to prove that Anatoly Zuganov took up arms against Vauleyo-Buryatia is not a matter of urgency at this point."[/i]-Deputy President Ourumov
[/quote]
"Then we have different definitions of 'taking up arms.'" She placed on the table a copy of the list of charges sent to the embassy, with certain charges circled, and certain words within them further highlighted.

a) Membership in a [b][color="#ff0000"]terrorist organization[/color][/b]
d) Aiding in the procurement of [b][color="#ff0000"]illegal arms[/color][/b] for said [color="#ff0000"][b]terrorist organization[/b]
[/color]f) Advocating the [color="#ff0000"][b]violent overthrow[/b] [/color]of constitutional order in Vauleyo-Buryatia
h) Promoting separatism and [color="#ff0000"][b]militant[/b] [/color]unilateralism
j) [color="#ff0000"][b]Assaulting[/b] [/color]a police officer
k) Aiding in the [b][color="#ff0000"]attempted assassination [/color][/b]of a public official

"Such charges would imply, if not outright state, 'taking up arms.' Perhaps it is not urgent to you, but it seems to be the crux of the matter at least where Miss Hendrikson is concerned. She offered asylum only to those who had no part in either fighting with weapons against your government, or enabling others to do the same." Annoyance crept into her voice, but whether it was at her ambassador, the Valeyo-Buryatians, or the situation in general, it could not be determined.

[quote name='Imperator Azenquor' date='17 June 2010 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1276826577' post='2341347'][i]"My government, via communication with the Australian Embassy already explained exactly why Ms. Zuganova was not mentioned until after it was determined that she had accompanied her husband. It was explained that initial intelligence suggested that Ms. Zuganova had intended to remain behind and seek to find an alternative method to flee the country. That is why the initial communiqués only mentioned a single individual, Anatoly Zuganov."[/i]-President Andropov
[/quote]
"They were together, were they not? When you had determined for certain that Mr. Zuganov had fled, how could you not know that both she and her son were gone?" this was not an attempt at delaying, merely an attempt at clarifying the matter. Of course she did not mention such--it would be detrimental to the point.

[quote name='Imperator Azenquor' date='17 June 2010 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1276826577' post='2341347'][i]"The evidence you just presented was already in our possession. As a matter of fact, our request for clarification contained a high quality photocopy of that document. There was a detailed and prolonged delay to several requests for clarification and requests that Ms. Zuganova be turned over to Vauleyo-Buryatian authorities. This delay persisted despite the assertion that a Vauleyo-Buryatian hospital would be better suited and equipped to treat her injuries than the medical wing of an embassy."[/i]-President Andropov.
[/quote]
"I am already aware you sent a copy of the letter to the embassy. One of the things I learned in my investigation. And yes, i realize there was a delay. I...apologize...for being unaware of the oversight. It will not happen again." Again the annoyance from earlier.

The ambassador interjected. "I told you before, her injuries were critical. Do you move a critical patient when their life is in jeopardy from their injuries? Only when their life would, I believe be further jeopardized by remaining where they are."

[quote name='Imperator Azenquor' date='17 June 2010 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1276826577' post='2341347']Turning to the Ambassador, clearly annoyed, Deputy President Ourumov replies:

[i]"And what do you mean by 'assured' to be impartial? You have no evidence whatsoever to suggest that the Vauleyo-Buryatian Judiciary would not be impartial, therefore I strongly urge you not to make such irresponsible, insulting and baseless accusations.

The Vauleyo-Buryatian Judiciary, under the guidance of Vauleyan Common Law is and always has been an independent institution and has done its duty in a just and impartial manner for decades. To suggest or imply otherwise, without evidence, is a gross insult to Vauleyo-Buryatia. Such conduct is unbefitting of an Ambassador."[/i]-Ourumov
[i]
"I'll ignore your comment about the impartiality of Vauleyo-Buryatia's judiciary. While there is no reason for an international representative to be present at the trial of Ms. Zuganova, I would be willing to petition the Supreme People's Court of Vauleyo-Buryatia to determine if they would permit a single international observer to be present for the duration of the trial.

The question still remains, will the government of Australia grant Ms. Zuganova asylum, thus preventing the Vauleyo-Buryatian People's Police Force from executing a warrant for her arrest, or will your government turn Ms. Zuganova over to the authorities so that she can be brought to trial?" [/i]
[/quote]
"If you are insulted, I apologize. Those were not my words, and I did not mean to imply anything of the sort. I did say she is willing. They were her words, not mine. it is Mrs. Zuganova who needs reassurance, not myself."

"If you are willing to ask for an international observer, of course that would go a long way to obtaining her cooperation in this matter."

"Enough, Miss Hendrikson. I realize you sympathize with what you believe a peaceful individual, but the fact is the woman in question was part of a seccessionist movement against the Valeyo-Buryatian government. The fact that they are willing to bend even on the issue of an international observer is more than generous. And you should know that Australia does not take in those with a criminal record. I know she has none as of yet, but she is charged as such."

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

[b]***3 minutes later***[/b]

An Aide walked into the room and handed a 5 page document to the President. After glancing carefully over the document, he turned to the Queen of Australia.

[i]“The Supreme People’s Court has responded to my request and will allow a single observer to be present at the trial of Ms. Zuganova under several stringent conditions. According to the statement from the courts, the observer would not be permitted to examine documents involving intelligence, testimony and operations carried out by the state intelligence forces, and key aspects of the police force if it is ruled that the documents contain information regarding the intelligence services, the ongoing investigation, or the identities of individuals involved. The observer would also be prevented from questioning officers of the court or witnesses providing testimony in the case.

Regarding the definition of ‘taking up arms’ against the government, we could argue until the end of time about the specific interpretations thereof, but as far as the charges are concerned, the charges filed against Ms. Zuganova were filed by a State Prosecutor in accordance with Vauleyan Law. The specific charges may be examined in detail in the preliminary report to the Supreme People’s Court.

The only matter that now remains, is if and when Ms. Zuganova will be turned over to Vauleyo-Buryatian security forces so that she may face trial.”[/i]-President Andropov

"Your restrictions are understandable. I would not want a foreign citizen examining my own intelligence operations too closely. Australia agrees with all the terms. Once the fugitive is given a cleen bill of health--" she gave a stern glance at the ambassador "which if I'm not mistaken she received [i]today[/i]," she emphasized, making clear there would be no further delays, "Mrs. Zuganova will be turned over without delay. Her son is free to stay with us if he so wishes, as you have not stated he is being charged with any crime."

President Andropov nodded slightly before replying:

[i]“Very well, Ms. Zuganova may be taken from the Australian Embassy to any of the police checkpoints nearby where she will be taken into custody. Once she has been transferred to Vauleyo-Buryatian custody, the Supreme People’s Court will make final preparations to bring her to trial once the observer is appointed. In that regard, I hope that your government can appoint it's observer as soon as possible so that there will be no further delays in the start of the trial.

Regarding Ms. Zuganova’s son, he is a citizen of Vauleyo-Buryatia who at this time does not have an exit visa or valid passport to leave the country. However given the circumstances, we will make an exception in this case and allow him to remain at the Australian Embassy for the duration of his mother’s trial. After the trial however, where he remains should be determined by his mother and his relatives here.”[/i]-Andropov

The President removed a small sheet of paper from a folder in front of him. On it he wrote an telephone number. Turning to the Queen of Australia, he spoke:

[i]“Once your government has decided upon an observer, an official at the embassy may simply inform the Supreme People’s Court of this individual’s identity so that the necessary documents may be issued to facilitate his or her attendance at court. The Judiciary will then take the process from there.

If this is agreeable, then I believe we can conclude these discussions?”[/i]-Andropov