Negligence and Honor

Sarah Tintagyl

[i]Lillia Palace, Darwin
Australian Queendom[/i]

Lillia Palace out shown nearly ever building in Darwin, its winding spires and glass windows could be seen nearly from every point in the city and was a wonder in of itself. In truth, the entire city of Darwin had changed since the formation of the Queendom, the unification of Hanseatic and Promised Lander philosophy, architecture, culture, and drive had done wonders for the city and in years time it had evolved from a small country port down on the northern edge of the continent to without a doubt the largest metropolis on the continent, perhaps in all Oceania, only being out flanked by Pacifica or the Northern Islands, and definitely on par with the elder cities of Australia and South Wales, Brisbane, Perth, and Sydney. The buildings were a cross between Hanseatic flamboyance, decorated in the French and Finnish design, showy and over the top was mixed with the flat desire and base that was formed by the Promised Landers, the perfect mixture of the two extremes and it made the country function particularly well. Or at least Sarah believed it did, until the Tahoean Campaign had begun.

Since the beginning of the War on Tahoe, Australia's campaign had continued to disappoint her as a nation that she had built up as a nation to avoid warring out of puppeteering, a nation free from outside influences was now campaigning for transgressions fought in the past. Hypocritical for her to say? Of course it was, but as a mother figure to the Hanseatic people and as having given Hannah her role of successor of the leader of the Hanseatic people, Sarah took the mistakes that this war was creating personally. She had watched the news, Hannah's speeches against the Italians and other nations were dry and lacked courage, possibly for a war she didn't believe in, then beyond that, Australian troops had landed on Tahoean territory, further than the other allies had gone. This was not their war, no matter what grudges they had, there were better ways to handle and needless to say, it was a war of aggression on the side of Australia and her allies, which was something Sarah wouldn't be hypocritical about. Tahoe was a world evil, but waging aggressive war was not how it was to be handled, it was not how her vision was to be implemented, which brought her to Darwin on a humid evening in the middle of May.

It was a black carriage that drove her down the main boulevard towards the palace as it stopped in front of the gates as two Lillian Guards walked up to either allow the guest entry or send her away. But when the woman stepped out, the two guards backed up. Her piercing blue eyes and calm strut caused them only to bow towards her, their hands across their chests in salute. "Lady Tintagyl, it is an honor." Sarah knew, even with a new government, the loyalty she held in Australia was near absolute from both countries. "But what brings you back to Australia? We believed that you had retired for good."

Sarah chuckled and shook her head. "I tried, didn't work again unfortunately. I can never stay quiet for long and I have a new vision, or perhaps an old vision that was distorted by Her Majesty and His Grace that I must talk to them about. Would you ladies care to show me to the throne room?"

"At the moment Her Highness isn't in Lady Tintagyl, we can't just allow you to go into the throne room. This is Her Highness' own house after all."

"Louisa." The second guard looked at her partner. "Can we really do this...to..."

"Camille, orders are orders...I..."

"Camille." Sarah turned to the younger looking guard. "Where are you from?"

"Brisbane, Ladyship."

"And Louisa?"

"French Polynesia."

Sarah smiled and folded her hands. "I understand. Listen, ladies, I really must speak to Her Highness and if she comes to ask why you allowed me into the palace, explain that I had come to recant with both of them and in reality, that is precisely what I am doing."

"Well..."

"Please, I would be eternally honored by both of your kindness."

Finally the girls gave in, opening the gates for Sarah to pass through. She thanked them and walked in to the palace, once in, things became much easier and the guards who did find her bowed low to the ground in reverence, she was after all, the Lady Protector who had brought both countries together. Nearing the throne room, Sarah found another two guards who allowed her the entrance into Hannah's imperial quarters. Here amidst the tall windows and glass chandeliers, Sarah saw the throne of the Queen and approached, finding it empty, while one of the chamberlains had come in to see the intruder. He nearly fell back in his stance at who he was facing. She asked for a bottle of Pinot Noir to be brought to her and climbed the throne and sat down with her glass of wine staring down the corridor waiting for Hannah's arrival. "I have to say Hannah, you know how to live. For that I have taught you well."

When Hannah and Anthony would arrive, they would be told by the guards, those who had seen Sarah's entrance that a guest was waiting for them in the throne room and that the guest had asked not to be disturbed, it was all very cryptic and when the doors finally opened. They would be greeted by two sapphire eyes gazing through the darkness of the room. Only her eyes, her pale skin, the shimmering glass of wine, and her blonde hair illuminated as she leaned back on the throne. "I'm disappointed in both of you, Anthony, Hannah, this was not the vision I had for Australia..."

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' date='02 May 2010 - 07:57 PM' timestamp='1272855461' post='2284582']
Finally the girls gave in, opening the gates for Sarah to pass through. She thanked them and walked in to the palace, once in, things became much easier and the guards who did find her bowed low to the ground in reverence, she was after all, the Lady Protector who had brought both countries together. Nearing the throne room, Sarah found another two guards who allowed her the entrance into Hannah's imperial quarters. Here amidst the tall windows and glass chandeliers, Sarah saw the throne of the Queen and approached, finding it empty, while one of the chamberlains had come in to see the intruder. He nearly fell back in his stance at who he was facing. She asked for a bottle of Pinot Noir to be brought to her and climbed the throne and sat down with her glass of wine staring down the corridor waiting for Hannah's arrival. "I have to say Hannah, you know how to live. For that I have taught you well."

When Hannah and Anthony would arrive, they would be told by the guards, those who had seen Sarah's entrance that a guest was waiting for them in the throne room and that the guest had asked not to be disturbed, it was all very cryptic and when the doors finally opened. They would be greeted by two sapphire eyes gazing through the darkness of the room. Only her eyes, her pale skin, the shimmering glass of wine, and her blonde hair illuminated as she leaned back on the throne. "I'm disappointed in both of you, Anthony, Hannah, this was not the vision I had for Australia..."
[/quote]
Considering the early hours of the day, most would consider it understandable enough that neither the Queen nor the Grand Duke were up. Any reasonable individual would still be abed this early in the morning.

Of course, such people as would make the assumption knew neither of the individuals in question. Each, with reasons as different as their backgrounds, were likely to be up before many of those supposedly reasonable beings who got up to start their own work.

No, at the moment that Sarah's carriage was pulling to a stop at the entrance of the palace, Anthony and Hannah were already out and about, busy with the affairs of helping a nation run smoothly even in the midst of a conflict. Anthony was personally investigating a report from Commander Sherman about a potential spy, while Hannah was personally inspecting an addition to the base just outside the city.

It was at least another hour before they returned.

"Was the addition up to your standards, Your Majesty?" Anthony politely inquired.

"Quite." She seemed almost preoccupied with something as they neared the Palace.

"Still thinking of the report from the Tasmanians?"

That got her attention. "Yes. The level of independence they are showing is not fitting for a duchy of the Queendom. And their reverence for that dead Emperor of theirs, despite their reassurances, is dangerous."

"Yes, I am aware. Fanatics are wildly unpredictable. I honestly don't know what Maelstrom would think of this if he were still alive. At least we got the footage before their mention of his Empire came out."

"How did the Hegemon of Asia ever manage to befriend you? From what I've seen of you, you have never supported a hegemony in any form."

"Because I met him when he was still human."

By this time, they had reached the gates of the palace, where the guards informed them of their mysterious guest. Hannah and Anthony both tried pressing the guards for details on who this mysterious guest, but the women were surprisingly close-mouthed about the whole affair.

The Queen and Grand Duke were wearing nearly identical frowns as they entered the throne room. It was not immediately apparent who the guest was, and an angry comment was on Hannah's lips--that throne was hers and hers alone.

But the voice was enough, with the details they could make out, that it silenced any words either of them might have spoken.

Anthony felt a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach, like a boy that senses he is in trouble but not quite sure why. He stared, trying to penetrate the gloom to fully take in any cues he might be able to pick up from her posture.

And Hannah...despite the long years as ruler of anation, and technically being Sarah's sovereign, she still had not had the mindset of being the First Knight to the Lady Protector of the Commonwealth. It was still ingrained, as it had been in almost every Hanseatic, that you showed respect to Sarah Tintagyl. She didn't quite do a complete bow, but it was close. "Sarah? I thought you had..." resigned, retired, the implication was obvious, but she couldn't quite say the word.

Anthony found his own voice a moment later. "I presume you mean the war with Tahoe? But..." He wasn't sure if he should mention the meeting in France, unsure just how much Sarah would trust her former protege. "Trust me. Her Majesty and I are in agreement that despite any negative results of this, in the long run this is what is best for not only Australia, but Oceania."

Hannah nodded as she stood straight once more. "I was reluctant myself," she admitted. "It's distasteful still, but necessary."

[i]"Sarah? I thought you had..." [/i]

"Disappeared?" The former Lady Protector said as she finished off the rest of the wine and sat the cup down on the arm of the throne. "No, I'm afraid that I don't disappear so easily from politics, as Anthony will tell you, we actually just met while he was in France. I'm surprised he didn't let you know. But no Hannah, I haven't disappeared, I haven't retired, however I have not come here to return either." Crossing her legs she leaned back on the throne and sighed. "Before I left to Transvaal and even while there, I was given the opportunity to tour the world without my fame trailing me where ever I went and on those travels I realized just how massively screwed up and forsaken this planet is. You know Hannah, Anthony, when I worked day and night to see the Hansa birth itself, for it to grow from a small and weak nation on the borders of Franzharia and then the Australian countries, there was a dream that was born along with it. Idealist, but a dream nonetheless. This dream was for the world to eventually, through the actions of politicians, know true peace. After all, we are the servants of the state are we not, the first servants in the eyes of our people? I have been watching the recent actions of Australia and while at first I believed that what was happening might be beneficial to the world, removing Tahoe from the stage. Unfortunately, it is hard for me to see the Queendom being used as little more than a puppet state to further the ambitions of nations like Pacifica, the Northern Republic, and Louisiana."

[i]"Trust me. Her Majesty and I are in agreement that despite any negative results of this, in the long run this is what is best for not only Australia, but Oceania."[/i] Said Anthony.

[i]"I was reluctant myself,"[/i] Hannah admitted. [i]"It's distasteful still, but necessary."[/i]

"Best for Australia? How thick are you Anthony?" Sarah stood and swatted the wine glass to the ground as it shattered into hundreds of tiny pieces. "I've already heard that Hanseatic citizens aren't forced to serve in a national war. My God if you can't convince the entire country to serve in a war then you shouldn't be warring in the first place. I have no problem with war, but this was an aggressive action that has put Australian lives in danger. I mean for the love of Christ, if you're going to endanger the country at least get something out of it, Pacifica gets Hawaii, and the others are going to divide up North America and what do..." Sarah stopped and clenched her hands. "Oh wait, I forgot. I remember one of the Hanseatic commanders passed a report on to me, land was taken and a flag was raised." She paused, her eyes piercing, glaring, angry. "The old flag of the Dragon Empire was raised in Los Angles. No Australian flag, they might have said God Bless you Hannah, right along side a dead human deity. Tell me Hannah, who is in control of this state, you? Or is Anthony and that woman from the ball in charge of the country? Shared power." Sarah shook her head. "In a war that has the entire Queendom divided, what do you two want? A civil war?"

Sarah laid her hand on Hannah's shoulder and looked into her eyes. "I made you my Knight to preserve our people. You were made Queen to preserve ALL the people of Australia and a consensus should be met, not go gallivanting around the world because some schizophrenic fanatics tell you that a dead man wants you to destroy Tahoe. A vision of peace Hannah, a vision of diplomacy first? I left both of you thinking that while the rest of the world was a ball of rot, there was hope in Australia. Please, don't make me think that hope cannot be reached here. Please, Anthony, Hannah, don't do this to me." She grabbed onto their clothes and wrapped her fist around their collars with great strength. "Please, don't do this to me."

"I didn't tell her because I didn't know if you wanted me to," Anthony uncharacteristically bit his lip in a rare moment of uncertainty. He really had wanted to tell Hannah. But the secretive nature of the meeting had implied that she wanted it KEPT a secret for the time being, and his own nature had done the rest.

Hannah's suprised expression gave way to a stern glance that indicated they were going to have a nice, long talk later, but at the moment, Sarah was still speaking.

[i]"Unfortunately, it is hard for me to see the Queendom being used as little more than a puppet state to further the ambitions of nations like Pacifica, the Northern Republic, and Louisiana."[/i]

More uncharacteristic actions from Anthony...he spluttered, leaving no doubt that Hannah's words were her own, not the manipulations of any other being. "Puppet?" Her eyes flashed at the implication. "Hardly, Your Ladyship. I had the facts presented to me and made the choice I thought best. I made up my own damn mind, for my own reasons. Not anyone else's."

[i]"...if you're going to endanger the country at least get something out of it, Pacifica gets Hawaii, and the others are going to divide up North America and what do..."[/i]

Anthony finally managed to find his voice. "Sarah, Australia is not in the war for land, or power, or other purely selfish goals. It is for this reason that so many cannot understand why we do it. They look at us and condemn yus, but they are not quite sure what for. They cannot understand that this is for the greater good--"

Hannah gave him another sharp glance, and his mouth snapped shut on whatever he meant to say next.

[i]"In a war that has the entire Queendom divided, what do you two want? A civil war?"[/i]

"I told you I am not a puppet!" Hannah protested, surprising herself with how forceful she sounded toward Sarah. She immediately toned her voice down to a respectful level, and this time, Anthony wisely chose to stay silent as she explained herself. "I've already summoned their commander to have words with him. They were NOT supposed to land in Los Angeles...or anywhere on the mainland for that matter, and they will be dealt with as soon as possible. Not only for their presumption in raising that despicable flag, but for breaking ranks when they were told to stay with the fleet!" Anger was clear in her expression, but it was directed not at either of the room's other occupants, but at that commander who had not yet appeared, and those he represented.

If it had been any other who had grabbed either of them by the collars, the presumptious individual would have found themselves on the floor, at the very least. Both sets of eyes were riveted on the woman before them, asking, nay, pleading with them, almost in tears, to stop what she saw as madness. "We tried diplomacy, you know that, Your Ladyship. You above all others know that we can't talk if the other side isn't willing to listen or respond. We tried several times to talk, but it became clear they weren't really interested in what we had to say. And we learn from history. History made it clear that when Tahoe wants to, it reaches out with impunity to strike at anyone, anywhere. I can't let that happen to Australia."

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

Sarah shook her head. "Diplomacy thrust by your coalition on Mexico, which if I recall the news, you two weren't even part of. You aren't a puppet? Fine, but you had better damn well start acting like the Queen that you were trained to become and you..." She looked at Anthony. "...you are her defender, just as you were to me and while I have moved on from needing those exact capabilities from you. This country and her people do still require them. So you are going to discipline that general, good, that's the first positive thing I've heard all night." She closed her eyes and released them from her grasp. "I have lost hope in this world Hannah, Anthony, and I pray that I never lose hope in either of you, which is why this meeting pains me as much as it does. You two are like family to me and to see you being ripped apart by the world only wants me destroy everything about this rotten planet. Please don't ever make me want to do that to Australia, my people, Anthony's people, Hannah, yours, all need to be treated with respect...and that flag." Sarah grimaced, grinding her teeth. "Is not respectful to Australia and it is not respectful to the histories of this nation."

Turning Sarah looked out the window at the glowing moon. "Personally Hannah, I believe you have to prove yourself again that you are not being influenced by the world. I believe you don't want to be, but without you knowing it, you are. Tahoe will, whether they like it or not, will be taken down from their pedestal. Though I doubt that this floundering coalition will be able to do so and then even prepare itself for the power vacuum that will come after it. Needless to say I will be paying attention. But I hope that I was able to alert you to what I am seeing, if perchance you cannot see it yourselves."

She smiled at them and nodded her head. "However, I only came to give that warning to both of you, unless there is other pressing matters that you have with me. I shall take my leave."

"Words of reconciliation between Tahoe and Australia were sought long before this...coalition..." Hannah grimaced at callig it that, "ever dreamed of existing. They unfortunately never amounted to anything--Tahoe responded once...and we never heard back, at all, any of the other times." She had no answer for the admonition afterward, but it was quite clear that none was wanted, or required, as Sarah was already looking to Anthony.

"You know I place her life above my own, Sarah, as I always valued you above myself. [i]I keep my promises.[/i] However..." he had a sly grin as she released them both. "Hannah is quite capable in her own right. I almost pity the general called to face her. Anyone who truly knows her will understand she can never be a puppet. To [i]anyone[/i]." Even to his alter ego. In the early months of the union, when he still had had yet to fully trust her, he had tried. But nothing had come of it, and eventually, she had earned his trust, and he had stopped trying.

"Believe me, even though I didn't hold the Dragon Empire in as much contempt as either of you...what? I told you he was my friend," he said, in response to the look from Hannah. "...as I was saying, that flag belongs in the annals of history, not the course of the present or future. Maelstrom was never one to obsess over the past, and I believe he would wish his people to move on from their nostalgia and embrace their new existence."

"And I would be the first to resign if I ever thought I had ever angered you to the point of wishing to destroy Australia. If my presence on that throne meant the destruction of my--our people..." she left the sentence unfinished, knowing it did not need to be to be understood. Sarah knew her well.

"However, I don't understand. How will Tahoe be removed from power if we do not stand up to it now? The coalition may be a fragile thing, but it only needs to last long enough to throw down the giant. after this war, win or lose, they will fall apart. There will not be a better chance than right [i]now[/i], while their own allies are few and faltering, before they have time to gather their strength and obtain new allies. The time to act is [i]now[/i], she repeated firmly.

"As for being influenced by the world?" she snorted. "As I have alread stated, the coalition is too fractured to truly manipulate anyone against their will. I chose this course, and no one, ally, enemy, or uninvolved, made me do it. If they want to believe they did, it is their folly." Her voice lost some of the steel as she finished. "But you know I always appreciate your concern, and your advice."

Anthony nodded his agreement.

[i]"However, I only came to give that warning to both of you, unless there is other pressing matters that you have with me. I shall take my leave."[/i]

Hannah demurred, but Anthony nodded again. "I would appreciate a moment or two to talk in private, Sarah."

Hannah stared at him oddly. "Go on, but I want to have a word with you when she leaves. You have some things you need to tell me," Hannah stated, the unyielding iron back in her words and expression.

Once they were alone in his office, the only place he trusted to be securte from prying ears and eyes, he would start talking. "I am sorry if II was supposed to tell her about our meeting. But the secretive nature of it inclined me to believe that you wanted it to remain just that...secret." He smiled weakly. "How much do you want me to tell her? She is sure to ask about the meeting now that you have mentioned it."

Unexpectedly, he sighed. "And I have to admit to being influenced into wanting this war. By your vision. Your mention, your dream, of a world where individual beings are respected and treated equally, where no one abuses power because they [i]have[/i] none to abuse, it cannot exist with nations like Tahoe, and their oppressive policies."

He slowly reached out a hand to cup her cheek, the expression on his face tortured by doubt. "If I misunderstood your desires, please forgive me."