The Lioness of the Romagna

Sarah Tintagyl

Joan smiled and spoke with a laughter in her throat.

"Oh by all means, I do not underestimate someone who looks as if she can take Italy alone. You'd wear a smile as you had your men charge off into battle, and I'd rather see us fighting on the same playing field together. With me at your South, we can work together on a front to the North. Italy will be united in our lifetimes with plenty time for our children to enjoy our enlarged provinces.

Joan leaned in close to Caterina, and made her tone deeper, and sucked the fun out of the entire occasion as she mumbled,

"And God help me if those Germans touch our lands. I will burn those lands to the ground, and stomp on the ashes as my men pour salt on the ground. Those dirty, hair, vile creatures maintain the through to the holiest empire, and if it werent for my love of the church, I would cease to recognize any such thing. My family fought to fend off those barbaric men, and I dont believe they deserve such a name as the Holy Roman Empire. I feel sick calling them fellow beings, nevermind fellow catholics."

Her look ceased its glare off into the distance as her anger faded from her lips. She felt better relieving herself of such a miserable emotion. Hatred, pure and utter hatred. Her Cardinal was told to not agree to anything proposed by the Germans, and they will never recieve her favor. They are but dogs for the slaughter in the defense of the Church.

Caterina's face contorted into a devilish smile as Joan mentioned the nations to the north of Milan. She had already exchanged dismal quips with the Duchy of Brandenburg and while hoping the Holy Roman Empire had improved from its bigoted stances of expansion, it seemed as though she had been too much the idealist. In addition to the individuals that were influential in the German States at the present, one could not forget the past invasions of the Germans into Northern Italy, especially given Milan's history. Though Caterina had a plan for that as well, though she thought it best if she waited just a few months or even a year or two before bringing this concern to her Uncle.

"Indeed Highness, I have no intention of letting the Germans step foot in Italy. Our ancestors have fought too hard to create the states we have today, to see those states destroyed by invaders? No I refuse to let that come to pass, ever the more reason for friendship then Highness. I am sure we each have great plans for Italy, it only requires the time to give them some semblance of existence. But ours is time for prosperity, for all the states."

"I will see to it that that dream comes too. We will become a united Italy, living in peace and hopefully looking to only remove outside invaders. I would hate to see Italian lands fall under some other jurisdiction. That is why I am traveling the Peninsula, to become aware of the established regions and to create relations."

She smiled and looked at her new friend with a light tone.

"How am I doing so far in the Sforza Household with making friends?"

"I would say that the House of Sicily and the House of Milan and the Romagna have begun the long road to become friends for a long time afterward. But unless my Uncle has things to add to our discussion, please Highness, let us enjoy the festival for what it was intended for. Celebration, not politics." Caterina took the jug of wine again and poured Joan's cup to the brim and then did so with her own. "After all, life is too short to spend scheming."

Ludovico, not really paying much attention to the conversation and rather toward a few women on the dance floor, shrugged and added,[i]"There are things we can discuss at another time, but at the moment, a fair lady beckons me onto the dance floor, so I pay you your adieu."[/i] The Regent promptly bowed and made his way to the dance floor, dragging Gian along with him to learn how to properly dance.

"Well, I'm glad for the talk, and very happy with our new relations. I shall be attending to my caravan, and shall be heading out. Your party has been a pleasurable experience. I'll be sure to establish trade routes through the sea. Once we have a land connection, I'll build a road from Naples to here.

[i]Arrivederci[/i]"

Joan made her way off to Duke Louis of Anjou. He called open all of the sicilians attending and had them form into the line. Joan's horse was brought to her. She climbed upon it, and bowed her head in thanks to Caterina and Ludovinco. She made her way off to Florence.