NADC Beer Review

Da Supe

The NADC is an alliance of rum drinkers and none of the members could be bothered to turn away from the rum kegs for long enough to taste a beer, not to mention write a beer review, so I have to perform my leaderly (sure it is) duties myself.

The beer of my choice is Karhu, arguably the best of the five "common" Finnish beers - the others being Koff, Olvi, Karjala and Lapin Kulta. As it happens, karhu is Finnish for bear. Yes, bear not beer. Someone must've had fun with that :P

Karhu is brewed by Sinebrychoff and it's one of their best known beers. It has even won First Place awards in the The Brewing Industry International Awards contest.

[center][img]http://www.boothillbar.com/picts/tuoppi.png[/img][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/67/Karhu.jpg/150px-Karhu.jpg[/img][/center]

Like with all beers it's best enjoyed straight from the tap in company of good friends. I went out to a bar with a friend last Friday to watch an icehockey game on the big screen. Karhu was one of the beers they had on tap so we had a few "pints" (0,5 liters) of Karhu. Since I wouldn't know where to start describing the taste I'll give you the official version:

[quote]Karhu is a full-bodied beer in which the flavour of the hops and malt is stronger compared to basic lagers.

The first Karhu beers were enjoyed in Pori during the 1920s. Karhu was still available in the Pori area during the early 1930s, but then it went into hibernation. On a continuous basis Karhu has been brewed since 1958, initially as a mild strength beer. Karhu III was launched in 1961. Its nationwide distribution began in 1993. Nowadays Karhu is produced at Sinebrychoff's Kerava brewery.

Ingredients: water, barley malt, starch, hops.[/quote]

On this particular night the first few Karhus tasted better than normal, but after a while they turned out to have an unusual and bitter aftertaste... then again, seeing your own team literally collapse and get their rear ends handed to them in the Olympic Games by the US team might just have had something to do with it. Anyway, I guess the lesson is to choose the right beer for the right occasion. If you like your beers to taste like real beer (bear?), I'd recommend you give Karhu a try... if you can get your hands on it B-)

[quote name='Da Supe' date='02 March 2010 - 11:13 PM' timestamp='1267571800' post='2211860']
The NADC is an alliance of rum drinkers and none of the members could be bothered to turn away from the rum kegs for long enough to taste a beer, not to mention write a beer review, so I have to perform my leaderly (sure it is) duties myself.

The beer of my choice is Karhu, arguably the best of the five "common" Finnish beers - the others being Koff, Olvi, Karjala and Lapin Kulta. As it happens, karhu is Finnish for bear. Yes, bear not beer. Someone must've had fun with that :P

Karhu is brewed by Sinebrychoff and it's one of their best known beers. It has even won First Place awards in the The Brewing Industry International Awards contest.

[center][img]http://www.boothillbar.com/picts/tuoppi.png[/img][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/67/Karhu.jpg/150px-Karhu.jpg[/img][/center]

Like with all beers it's best enjoyed straight from the tap in company of good friends. I went out to a bar with a friend last Friday to watch an icehockey game on the big screen. Karhu was one of the beers they had on tap so we had a few "pints" (0,5 liters) of Karhu. Since I wouldn't know where to start describing the taste I'll give you the official version:

On this particular night the first few Karhus tasted better than normal, but after a while they turned out to have an unusual and bitter aftertaste... then again, seeing your own team literally collapse and get their rear ends handed to them in the Olympic Games by the US team might just have had something to do with it. Anyway, I guess the lesson is to choose the right beer for the right occasion. If you like your beers to taste like real beer (bear?), I'd recommend you give Karhu a try... if you can get your hands on it B-)
[/quote]

Way to take one for the team and drink some beer! I actually had that before, when I visited a friend in the Air Force in Germany. It was REALLY good, imho.