Coronation of the Prince

iamthey

*Within the Atrium*

The central atrium belonging to the capital city Wellington, was itself an admired example of architectural mastery. The massive partially subterranean building was typically an empty square connecting the four major tunnels beneath the city. They met in an enormous marble clad room the ceiling of which was a dome to match the circular construction of the room, and around which was a rotunda. While normally the room typically was characterized by a certain banality, such was not the case now. In preparation for the historic event the Atrevier’s color, red, had been heavily used to decorate the room, large solid red tapestries hung symmetrically around the tall outer walls. In the center around which was a row of railing sat a large alter the center of which was a shallow basin. Already present was the nation’s aristocracy, the dukes immediately around the railing (surrounding the alter) behind them the counts and on outward the barons. Beyond them and within the rotunda stood a sizable portion of the Citadel’s influential and important citizens, both those considered guildsmen and syndicatists. Each in the audience had been hand selected by the planning committee in order to please the many diverse and divided factions within the Citadel. Among such men standing in the Rotunda was James Crown; staring down at the proceeding. Standing at the end of path was the Archduke Allison Loraine who's presence suddenly drew silence. Once the room was satisfactorily quiet she walked to the center of the room and faced the audience opposite the path. Obviously in accordance with the faux tradition she was clothed in a simplistic hooded black robe, the only ordainment being a large chain of office. Lowering her hood, and removing a black tie from her hair, she let the golden strands fall to her upper back. Raising her voice the amplified message reverberated throughout the hall.

“Stewards of the Crown, Nobles, and Gentry alike, I welcome you." Pausing she continued. "The day of Mabon has traditionally been one of contemplation, a day for us all to consider our lives in their totality and decide what it is we wish to preserve and what it is we wish to discard. We have recently in our history come to realize that the pluralist government, the triumvirate was a mistake. While it bore noble intentions, and was at the time of its conception thought to be necessary to preserve the nation in reality it has and always would have been a precipitator of chaos. In our collective wisdom, and by our collective will we have come to realize that our lives, and our wellbeing are too important to trust to a group which rather than act, may bicker, or to our fellows who may be easily beguiled and manipulated to serve a cause not of our own. Instead we the people have decided that such things must be vested in an enlightened sovereign, and thus that all men, all society requires a captain who may marshal their spirits. To this end let us consecrate this day as well as this place, and mark it as the moment when we vested our collective sovereignty and the sovereignty of those above in our Crown Prince and his Heirs. Oathed members of this gathering what say you? ” The entire chamber erupted in the collective voice characteristic to a congregation.

“We do.”

*With the Prince Awaiting Summons.*

The prince presently clothed in the pure white robes reserved to his station, stood surrounded by attendants. Having spent a few moments considering one of said attendants approached the Prince, and offered up his matter. “My liege, there are two final matters to which you must attend.” One of them stated.

“Yes?”

“Yes… you must select one Aristocrat to present you with the sword of your office, and a Citizen to present you with the scepter. Presumably whoever you choose will be your favored of each group.”

“Alright.” He turned to his advisor. “What do you think?” The advisor thought for a moment before speaking.

‘Well citizen wise you have a choice between Kaiser, Crown, or Veranos; each has a sizable faction. As for Aristocrats probably go with one of your Dukes, Lady Loraine is already your “voice in council” so I wouldn't choose her, but it is of course your decision.’ Ryn nodded.

“Well Ethan is not going to support me regardless, so Kaiser is out; Crown doesn’t care either way, so I suppose the best option would be Lawrence. His mixture of groups should effectively be able to muzzle Kaiser, as long as Crown stays with us.” The advisor seemed to agree, “As for the sword… have Devereaux do that; other than the Archduke I trust him more than any of the others.”

“Fine choices my Lord.” The attendant scurried off to fetch and prep the selections.

*Unspecified location in the Rotunda*

Lawrence Veranos had to say he was thoroughly disgusted with what he saw before him. After the abominable speech issued by the Archduke, and now considering the predominate history of atheism and rationalism in the Citadel a faux priest of some pacifican spirit cult was giving a sermon at the investiture of a Prince that used his own efforts and movement to become King. While he simmered in rage, in the back of his mind he realized he was lying to himself. While he believed at any moment he may call out, or jump the rails of the rotunda, this was little more than internal deception; in fact for some reason he had a strange affinity for the circumstance as it had ended up. Standing there he suddenly felt a prescence behind him, turning he saw an attendant and a member of the Royal Marines, or “Bloodhounds” as some of the anti-statist crowd called them (for their status as “dogs” and their crimson red beret’s) “Hello?”.

“Mr. Veranos?”

“Yes? What do you want?” He said eyeing the marine.

“The Prince has selected you to be the scepter bearer during the hand off.” Slightly annoyed, yet amused Lawrence raised an eyebrow. “It is to be a great honor.”

“Oh? According to who?” Veranos asked.

“Uh-“

“The traditions your planning committee designed?”

“Well the Prince would like you to nonetheless participate.” Lawrence scoffed.

“No.” The Marine stepped forward at hearing this. Veranos didn’t flinch.

“Sir… I lied, it wasn't a request it was more an order… as in obligatory. My only job is to take you to his highness the Prince, so you will need to come with me.” The Marine stepped forward to lay a hand on Lawrence’s sholder.

“Don't” He looked at the attendant. “Fine, call off your hound then. “

“Eh, he is here for your protection.” Veranos laughed at this.

“Right.” He mumbled under his breath. As they moved through the labyrinth of hallways surrounding the atrium Veranos took note of the military police at each entrance and the many thousands of lesser citizens or “commoners” most of whom hadn’t even attempted to gain entrance into the atrium. Nonetheless all had in the months leading up to the ceremony been fed information from any number of socializing sources about the historic nature and ties to tradition the entire ceremony would embody. His stomach turned in disgust; while this certainly wasn’t anything like the utterly Authoritarian regime of Imperial Wellington it was no doubt more adept in its ability to manipulate its people. In a few short months it had fleshed out culturally what it would normally take a society centuries to build; the same can be said for religion once an thoroughly atheist society the Citadel now unofficially accepted some sort of pacifican form of mysticism (loose decentralized set of spiritual beliefs), and the sheep that the people were simply followed what they were told. Finally reaching the lobby where the Prince was waiting he was ushered in, and before he even realized it he was being addressed by the Prince.

“Mr. Veranos it is a pleasure to meet you, while we have never spoken before, your deeds proceed you. In my book at least, you are a hero of the workingman.” Staring into Atrevier’s eyes his anger flared, yet he was paralyzed, everything in him wanted to strangle the liar before him, and yet he couldn’t will himself. His mind blanked and at once he felt as if everything he felt, everything he knew, everything he was simply drained away leaving only a cold and empty shell. He tried to respond, but he realized he could no longer recall what it was he was going to say. Ryn noted his alarm, “Are you alright Mr. Veranos” he asked. Lawrence's mind began to race, he could not think of, or remember what it was he had been thinking about... Suddenly he took note of Atrevier’s robes, the abundance of attendants, then he noticed the crowns resting on a set of pillows behind him. “A King… royalty of some sort? Who is this man?” he thought, ”No… kings don’t use crowns like that… a prince…a coronation… a crown prince yes... that’s what it was… crown prince Ryn Atrevier… the Reformem yes.” Feeling confident in remembering what it was he wanted to say he at last replied.

“Yes my Prince… nervous I guess.” The Prince laughed.

“As are we all, don’t worry about it. Anyway I don’t know if my attendant had told you but I wanted you to perform the hand off in the scepter portion of the coronation. Would that be alright with you?” There was a nagging feeling in Lawrence, he couldn’t recall what it was. Nonetheless his eyes lit up at mention of the ceremony and the prospect of participation within it immediately recalled images to his mind, images of previous coronations, and a long line of nobility, “such a historic moment” nothing eles mattered he repressed his uncertainty.

“Certainly, it would be an Honor.” The prince smiled.

“Great, talk to my attendant here and we can get things set up; I had also hoped that you might wish to dine with myself and my confidants this evening, after the ceremony of course. You know the individual selected to bear the vestment of law is generally a favored citizen, something even the nobility is excluded from; if you are to be mine, then it would be best if we got to know one another socially, and hopefully afterward politically.” As with the ceremony itself this instantly became clear to him…

“Yes of course.” The prince smiled.

“Great.”

*Atrium*

Still silent the royal procession entered the atrium, at its head were two attendants each carrying a thurible, the pendulum motion of which served to spread thick clouds of incense. The incense itself had been mixed with a indigenous tobacco like product, often used by the mystics as well as commercially sold in the form of cigars. It is important to note that the leaf itself was also a hallucinogen with light or strong effects depending on dosage. Close behind them was the Crown Prince himself, followed by both Veranos and Devereaux each bearing their relevant prop, ending with several other attendants who would later assist. The entire party with exception to Atrevier was robed in black and looked similar to Loraine. Arriving at the center the two lines split, Atrevier taking his place before the alter opposite to the “priest”, and the rest moving around the circle until everyone was standing against the outer railing. The two attendants who led the group proceeded around in a full circle before leaving the way the procession had entered. Breaking the silence the priest lifted a large bulb containing a clear liquid. ”The oceans are the origin of all life before us, the beginning both in the real, and the symbolic; may the chaos they represent purify us.” he recited before emptying the bulb into the basin. Allowing the water within it to settle he nodded to the Prince. Atrevier lifted his arms allowing the sleeves to fall back to his elbows before dipping both hands in the warm purified sea water and ceremoniously washing them. Once done he lifted them from the water and the priest proceeded to dry each one. Next he again spoke. ”Lord Ryn Atrevier, Crown Prince of Aotearoa the Citadel, her territories, and heir apparent Rex Pacifica; do you invoke the name of Re`; and seek the consecration of the Mantle?” Ryn considered the question for only a moment.

”I do.” The priest continued.

”Do you hereby pledge and swear that your intentions, and actions deem you worthy of this responsibility?:

”I do hereby affirm.”

”Do you hereby pledge and swear that as long as you bear the mantle you will do whatever you knowingly can to safeguard the lives of those you are responsible for, as well as do anything within your power to ensure their material welfare?”

“I do hereby affirm.” Satisfied the priest lifted a large chain of office from the alter, bowing his head, the pacifican priest placed the amulet on him.

”Your highness has invoked the name of Re`; and taken his solemn vows in accordance with the requirements of the Mantle; I therefore by my authority vest the responsibility of the Mantle into you.” The priest then lowered his own head. ”You are now the representative of Re`, the seventh of six and shall remain so unto death.” Concluding with the vestment of the mantle the priest stepped back allowing Loraine, his secular counterpart, to take over.

”Recognizing the purified state of our to be soverign, and his divine right to rule we must hereby vest the authority of the state within him.” She paused as four attendents approached this time bearing a scarlet robe, and a number of other ordainments. The first two clothed him in the Red robe (which rested over the thinner white robe beneath). Another tied a black sash around the waist of the prince, while another placed a light weight cape of matching color and material on the shoulders of Atrevier. Loraine then looked to Devereaux. ”We begin with the vestment of a sovereigns right to force, and its accompanying quality of strength by the sword. From this the King shall come to control the order of the real (de facto).” Devereaux approached until he stood before the Prince, kneeling he lifted the elaborate long blade one hand resting beneath the hilt and the other beneath the blade. With outstretched arms mimicking the delicacy of Devereaux he accepted the sword, and turned to hand it to an attendant who would then position it on the alter. Once Atrevier had accepted the sword, Devereaux rose and returned to his spot around the inner railing. From there she looked to Lawrence, “We now turn to the vestment of law; recognizing his divine infallibility and holy status as bearer of the Mantle we now turn to recognize this reality in the fixture of law and the sovereignty of the monarchy over it serving both as the source and judge of those beneath it. With this vestment the King shall control the order of law (de jure).” . Lawrence then approached the Prince, and like Devereaux kneeled before the king. Bowing his head, he offered up the scepter, the symbol of rule by law. Accepting it Atrevier again handed it off. Once Veranos had returned Loraine continued. ”Before you our Crown Prince now stands both in blood, strength, and law; we now merely need anoint him with the final act of coronation.” She turned to look at the crown bearer who approached her. Accepting the small cushion upon which sat both the crown and the signet ring she approached the Prince. Lifting his right hand and spreading his fingers, an attendant lifted the ring from its cushion and placed it on Prince’s ring finger. Lowering his hand the Prince’s eyes remained fixed on the Crown. Slowly he lifted his right hand extending it fully until his fingers barely touched it. Slowly he grasped it and lifted it from the cushion, upward he lifted, until it had left his vision, he then positioned it above his head and slowly lowered it until it came to rest upon his own brow. Holding it for a moment the room seemed to hold its breath, growing more quiet as the silence reached its climax. At last he lifted the crown and replaced it on the cushion, accepting the collective sigh as a suitable ovation. Loraine then returned the cushion to the attendant, and At last reached the conclusion. ”Before you, body, mind, and soul stands your King, His Majesty Ryn Atrevier, King of Aotearoa the Citadel, her territories, and Rex Pacifica.” As if on queue the room collectively erupted.

“Long live the King.”

“Long live the King.”

“Long live the King.” Once the hailing had concluded each of the dukes formed a line behind Loraine, and each kissed the signet ring of the King, before returning to their spots. With the investiture effectively concluded, the procession reformed and exited exactly as it had entered. As the King stepped through the threshold, the chamber and halls around it erupted in applause.

*public*

The Crown Prince Ryn Atrevier in accordance with the referendum was Crowned King today, and proclaimed “Rex Pacifica”. He is expected to call a constitutional convention within the next few days in order to begin the discussion of a parliament.

A few days after the coronation itself the following Administrative Decree was issued formally declaring the Sovereignty of the Crown.

Decree of Sovereignty

In the interest of the lives of the people, their material welfare, and the expediency of good governance the following proclamation is hereby rendered. The most recent experimentation of plural rule by triumvirate is by the judgment of this office and its retainers a failure. Such a determination does not come lightly and has not been made without all due deliberation. The rational is as follows. The state as it was- was split among three equal and sovereign entities, while reason might follow that this would produce an efficient state capable of rapid and clear decision in practice this model has demonstrated to be quite the opposite. While at its upper levels decisions were made with relative ease dissatisfaction brewed beneath the surface culminating in a great schism among both the guild and syndicate governments. Powerless to interfere and intent on remaining honorable to our core the aristocracy remained neutral in the affair. The ultimate reality of this occurrence was not that the people of the realm were disinterested in compromise and cooperation but rather that the leadership of each faction was not. It has since become clear that the decree of union which I signed in hopes of marshaling the people of the realm to our new cause was a mistake of colossal magnitude, and it is further one for which I wish to atone. That being said with the consent of the realm, the force of my station, and the right of my blood; I hereby declare the articles of union, the Union of Guilds, and the Union of Syndicates null and void. Each is hereby ordered to disburse into their sub-chapters and never to unify again. That being said as the sole remaining faction, which has I might add remained civil throughout this crisis, the Monarchy and by association the Aristocracy asserts its sovereignty over the realm and in doing so pledges to faithfully execute the needs and desires of the people, taking care that they are also in the best long term interest of the realm. – Ryn Atrevier

Section A:The King, Sovereignty, Immunity, Succession

Article I: Sovereignty

The State and the Monarch are one, all authority within the Citadel and the Dominion of Pacifica shall derive from the King either proactively though the sanctioning of office, or tacitly through toleration of presence all shall be subject. Thus as all authority stems from the Monarch so can the Monarch repeal that vestment. To this end all authority is vested in the King or in the Queen if she has ascended to the throne under Article II Section A of this decree. If authority is thus vested in the Queen, she has all the power and obligations which are typically possessed by the King.

Article II: Obligations and Responsibility of the King

The Duty of the King is to oversee and manage the execution and enforcement of the law, to defend the realm from all threats be they foreign or Civil, provide for the general welfare of the people, to create a code of law, and to judge the guilt of accused individuals under it.

Article III: Immunity & Legal Infallibility

As all authority possessed by the courts and by the law derives from the body of the King, it is thereby impossible to try a King as doing so would compromise the integrity of the court. The King is thus immune from censure and accusation, as well as infallible in the eyes of the law. Decedents of the sitting King are further only answerable to the King.

Article IV: Succession

The Line of succession to the throne is linear tracing through direct descendants beginning with the eldest living descendent and ending with the youngest. Eligibility for office is not effected by gender or any other factor other than age, and competency to hold office. In the event that there exists no living decedents the crown will be transferred to the eldest living descendent of the previous generation. In the event that the entire Royal Family has perished a successor shall be chosen by the Royal Council.

Section B: The Aristocracy

Article I: Source of Title

Each title of nobility passed through heredity stems from the Authority of the King; and thus is subject to it. All nobles therefore exist as they do at the pleasure of the King and can be removed at the wish of the King.

Article II: The Aristocratic Order

The territory of the realm shall be divided first into Archduchies ruled by an Archduke. Those Archduchies shall be further divided into Duchies ruled by dukes. This is followed by Counties ruled by counts, at last into Baronies which shall be overseen by Barons. The boarders of each Barony shall be divided in such a way that each has a relatively similar close count of population. Boundaries shall be subject to change at the taking of each census.

Each level of the order shall be subject to the levels above them beginning with Barons who are subject to all orders above them ending with Archdukes who are solely subject to the King.

The Aristocracy shall be responsible for assisting in the execution and enforcement of law, and the defense of the realm within their given areas of concern. All of which shall be done with the consent and direction of the King.

The Aristocracy shall be responsible for the directorship of the national bureaucracy, and the executive branch of the state.

Article III: Succession

Hereditary titles of nobility will be transferable in the same manner as the king’s title with exception that upon the loss of a royal line it shall be the responsibility of a higher officer, or the King to determine a successor. Along with titles land fiefs shall be attached to the title of nobility and thus is transferable. By contrast positions of directorship within the National Bureaucracy will not be transferable and will expire upon demise or dismissal.

Article IV: Royal Council

The Royal Council shall be an internal legislative and judicial body who’s purpose shall be to handle the internal disputes of the Aristocracy, as well as set uniform regulations for the Aristocracy. They will be chaired by the King, and any decision made by them can be overridden or altered by the King. They will also serve as a board of advisors to the King and upon solicitation for advise they are guaranteed an immunity from offense (they may speak plainly). Each Archduke is guaranteed a seat on the Council; however the King may choose to appoint additional Councilor’s at large.

Signature

H.M the King, Ryn Atrevier: RynAtreviersig.png

Rex Pacifica