5th And Final Papal Election

KingChris

Pope  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"The final election shall begin, with Nguyen and Sokolov remaining as the two top candidates. Experts inside the Conclave predict that Sokolov will win this one based on the previous elections. The 2/3 majority is no longer needed. Please, please, please! Ask questions!"

Sokolov took a deep breath before standing in front of the Cardinals again. This was the final voting round, he knew, and he couldn't help but think how close the previous rounds had been. Sure, he had gotten the majority, but not to the point where a decision would be reached. Furthermore, it was impossible to tell whom the Cardinals voting on Letourneau, DiNardo and Neidhart would be voting on, which meant the end result was nigh impossible to predict.

- "As with the previous rounds, i shall answer any questions, and give my opinion on topics of debate to aid the voting process."

He then stepped back again, allowing Nguyen to make the same statement.

Nguyen: I will also be acting in the same manner as I have in the previous rounds of the Conclave. I encourage you to ask all of the questions in your mind so that the College gets a better view of both Sokolov and myself.

"So far, the prediction that Sokolov will succeed John Paul III is proving to be true. However, Nguyen only needs four votes in thirteen hours with no one else voting for him to succeed. Victory for Sokolov can't be guaranteed just yes.

Meanwhile, the crowd in Rome knew that this would be the last election, so they knew that white smoke would almost surely come out. They were simply waiting for the announcement of who won."

Nguyen: "In the 1500s, the Europeans stumbled on the Native Americans. Thinking that they weren't humans, the Europeans committed mass genocide by abusing and enslaving the natives. Sadly, they were wrong and ended up adding inhumanity to their history. Now, why do we have to learn history? To learn from the mistakes of the past and make sure we don't make them again in the future. So to answer your question, I think we should approach them with cautious respect, and then, if they are friendly, open up relations with them. If they are unintelligent, we will simply monitor them and make sure they won't harm our environment. If they are dangerous, we will take the necessary steps to defend using the Just War Doctrine."

Sokolov - "An interesting question. I'd have to agree with Nguyen, just because we do not know them would not make them any less of an intelligent species than us. We are not omniscient, and jumping to conclusions would be something that, given the past, has done more harm than good in the long run. Should they choose to accept the Faith we shall welcome them like any other, as they too are a part of God's Creation."

The crowd in Rome outside the Sistine Chapel came, saw, and cheered when the white smoke arose from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel and the bells in the Vatican rang in celebration.

Meanwhile, still in secrecy, Cardinal Dean Daniel DiNardo, a former candidate, summoned Sokolov, Secretary of the College of Cardinals, and the Master of Papal Liturgical Celebrations into the hall. He then asked Sokolov, "Acceptasne electionem de te canonice factam in Summum Pontificem? " or "Do you accept your canonical election as Supreme Pontiff?" in which Sokolov replied "Accepto." He was asked, Quo nomine vis vocari?" or "By what name you will be called?" and Sokolov replied, "Paulus Alexius."

Sokolov went to the Room of Tears to dress in Papal dress for the first time alone. Meanwhile, the Cardinal Protodeacon went onto the balcony of St. Peter's Basilica and announced:

"Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum:

Habemus Papam!

Eminentissimum ac Reverendissimum Dominum,

Dominum Andrej,

Sanctæ Romanæ Ecclesiæ Cardinalem Sokolov,

qui sibi nomen imposuit Paulus Alexius I."

English:

"I announce to you a great joy:

We have a Pope!

The Most Eminent and Most Reverend Lord,

Lord Andrej,

Cardinal of the Holy Roman Church Sokolov,

who takes to himself the name Paul Alexander."

Because he was a near-Orthodox layman, it was extremely shocking to the crowd, but when he came and gave his Urbi et Orbi message, the crowd seemed satisfied. Because he is a layman, he will have to be ordained deacon, priest, and then bishop before he can become inaugurated.

OOC: Amyante, I know you originally thought that his name had to be Paul ___ (Roman numeral), but that's not the case, so do you want a name change?

OOC; Yeah, in that case i'll just go for Alexius I... Alexius is a Latin form of Greek Alexios, meaning "defender.". Also, there's a small error in your translation as Alexander means 'defender of mankind'. It's a different name :P

Edited by Amyante