The United Netherlands announce it's formation

Unie_van_Utrecht.jpg

The Provinces of the Netherlands reaffirm their loyalty to each other by signing the Union of Utrecht and ending the civil war with a Federalist victory (vs the Unitarians who wanted to restore the old monarchy and the unitary state).

The Republic of the United Netherlands will now poise to serve as a roll-model: a democracy, a neutral country, an economic powerhouse. A nation that unites forces that would usually be opposing (a catholic south and east vs a protestant north, urbanized Flanders and Holland vs the rural other provinces).

There we sign this treaty, this declaration, it's ideas adopted from the defunct United States and the defunct Swiss Confederation but whose ideas did not loose it's value here. As it's preamble states (translated):

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

The treaty will arrange the workings of the government and the rights of the people and the individual provinces, severely limiting the power of the federal government- and leaving as much as possible to the individual provinces and local governments. Each man and woman older then the age of 25 is allowed to vote and everyone is allowed to bear arms. There is also freedom of religion, press and assembly. and the full separation of powers (trias politica).

Whereas many nations deem it necessary to persecute religious minorities the Union of Utrecht makes it very clear "dat geen mens voor de keuze van zijne religie vervolgd of gediscrimineerd mag worden" (that no men can be persecuted or discriminated because of his religious believes).

The following provinces signed up

Friesland (Frisia)

Groningen & Ommelanden

Drenthe

Holland & West Friesland

Zeeland

Overijssel

Gelderland (Guelders)

Utrecht

Brabant (reunited with it's former Belgian counterparts Antwerpen and Flemish & Walloon Brabant and Brussels)

Limburg (reunited)

Vlaanderen (Flanders-reunited with the former French Netherlands)

Artesië (Artois)

What once was Flevoland was so depopulated by the Civil War and floods that it could not sign. What remains of it's citizens are now living in it's sister provinces and the reconstruction of that province will one day be carried out.

What the Union has not yet determined will be the place of the capital. Brussels, The Hague, Utrecht and Delft are being mentioned but the choice will be voted on in various referendums- but since the capital will be largely ceremonious as most of the work will be carried out by the provinces it is perhaps not too important.

The flag of the Republic has already been decided upon and so has our crest and anthem (adopting all of it from the previous 17th Century Dutch Republic):

Dutch_Flag.gif

Verenigde%20Zeven%20provincien.gif

Edited by DeRaadspensionaris

OOC: Welcome to Cybernations, this is a very nice RP though not in the right forum so for further RPs I would go either to Fantasy Rp or Game Related RP. If you want to become part of CNRP(the biggest and perhaps only active RP community on the forums) I suggest you to look in the World Map thread in Fantasy RP for some land. I believe the Netherlands and Belgium are still open though you would need to ask Brian Reimer for them first.

OOC: Thank you. Reimer and I already had a chat about it is alright and the lands will be rightfully mine. And from now on I will then post in the designated sections.

Where can I join that CNRP ? If it's not an alliance as I am already in one.

IC: The United Netherlands would like to thank Kanteero for it's recognition given to our fledging new state.

Edited by DeRaadspensionaris

OOC: Thank you. Reimer and I already had a chat about it is alright and the lands will be rightfully mine. And from now on I will then post in the designated sections.

Where can I join that CNRP ? If it's not an alliance as I am already in one.

IC: The United Netherlands would like to thank Kanteero for it's recognition given to our fledging new state.

OOC: No it is just a community active on the forums :)http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=59444 just post your claim here and it will be added on the map. For reference in CNRP my nation name is Greater Croatia, a thing you will notice with several people but learn quick enough we sometimes use different names than our Nation Name.