Ardorian Actions and News

Raritan

OOC: Don't feel like gravedigging the old news thread so all new news and other stuff and RPs I do will be in here.

IC:

***Classified***

After witnessing the embarrassing unpreparedness for a military invasion of Ardoria during the United States Civil War, the Ardorian Military was to begin construction of a new border defense system.

ArdoriaBorderDefenses.jpg

Along the Louisiana border and the Mississippi River, the defenses will consist of a large earthen wall topped by a steel and concrete barriers and fences. Behind those, artillery emplacements and pillboxes would be constructed. A trench would be dug in front of the first earthen walls which would be flooded with water from the Mississippi River as if it were a moat to prevent vehicles from approaching the wall. A similar system would be constructed along the Xaristan border sans the moat but with a trench still present.

Coastal areas would be fortified with artillery emplacements and bunkers as well as a seawall. Along the outer banks, seawalls would be built and small forts would guard the entrances into the Pamlico Sound

On the borders to Tennessee and the UAS, electrified steel and concrete fences and walls topped with barbed wire will be the only defenses constructed. Forts would be constructed every 50 miles along those two borders and 2000 soldiers would be stationed at every fort. The two interior defense lines will consist only of a concrete wall with forts along it every 100 miles staffed with 1000 soldiers.

Construction is expected to last 2-3 years with the highest priorities going to the Louisiana and Xaristan borders. Border crossings to both nations, however, will remain open although vehicles traveling through thme will be subjected to greater scrutiny and tighter security measures.

Tbs-logo.jpg

Atlanta, GA (TBS) - Earlier today, the Ardorian military announced that Bermuda was being closed to all civilians and that no vessels were to enter the areas 12 nautical miles around the islands of Bermuda. The reason for the sudden closure of the islands are not known and the Defense Ministry has declined any comment.

--------------------------------------------------

***Classified***

The Bermuda Proving Grounds and the Bermuda Naval Weapons Test Range had been built several months ago and were already operational but the Defense Ministry decided that larger and better equipped facilities were necessary for the purposes of researching and developing new weapons to use. The new facility would also host Air Force and Army research labs as well as the Navy research labs already present. The Bermuda Naval Base and the Bermuda Air Force and Naval Air Station would be greatly expanded in the process.

***Classified***

Plans for the border defense system have been upgraded. Anti-aircraft defense networks will now be included with the walls along the borders. Radar stations and anti-aircraft artillery and SAM batteries will be placed approximately 1 mile behind the first line of walls to protect against enemy air raids.

***Classified***

The Ardorian Navy finalized plans to upgrade and expand the existing SOSUS network. The new system, which would integrate shipborne SOSUS arrays with stationary listening arrays, would be renamed the Integrated Marine Surveillance System (IMSS). With the recent acquisition of St Pierre and Miquelon, new arrays would also be laid northward across the Atlantic from Bermuda to St Pierre. The command center in Bermuda would be expanded and construction of a backup command center would be built in Roanoke.

The system would be built with off the shelf technology from the previous SOSUS arrays as well as newer technology acquired from the Alliance. The Alliance would be providing technical support during the development and construction.

***Classified***

With the withdrawal from the Bermuda Triangle Pact, the pace of the construction on Bermuda picked up, with more shore batteries and anti-aircraft defenses being set up. Most of the research and development facilities would be near St Georges with residential and other facilities would be near Hamilton.

OOC: Uh, I believe St Pierre and Miquelon belongs to me. You can only establish bases on them, that's all. :P

As New England is building what is similiar to the SOSUS network, as seen in this post, perhaps we can coordinate them together in the near-future? ;)

Edited by JEDCJT

OOC: Uh, I believe St Pierre and Miquelon belongs to me. You can only establish bases on them, that's all. :P

As New England is building what is similiar to the SOSUS network, as seen in this post, perhaps we can coordinate them together in the near-future? ;)

OOC: I thought you said I controlled them. :P

Anyway, I had a plan for discovering your SOSUS network (having one of my cable layers run over an array and have the wire snap and then contacting you). I'll get around to RPing it out in another day or so. ;)

***Classified***

ENCRYPTION: 09-S25396-S4733-O3
PRIORITY: URGENT
TO: MIN.DEF DARRYL BRADFORD
SUB: IMSS COMPLICATION
We have run into an issue with Bermuda-St Pierre Array Two. The cable layer ANV Neptune has reported that the cable connecting nodes 2C3 and 2C4 has broken. We have checked and rechecked charts up to 50 years ago and nothing is marked in the vicinity of the cable. We are currently investigating and searching for other possible causes for the break. It may be as harmless as a shipwreck nobody found but some of us here in Bermuda believe we may have run into the SOSUS system of another nation. We never discovered the full extent of the Canadian network and New England most likely has a network installed as well. It may be beneficial to contact them and poke around to see if there is any evidence which would support the existence of a New England SOSUS network.

ENCRYPTION: 09-S25396-S4757-O7
PRIORITY: URGENT
TO: VICE.ADM PIERCE HARPER
SUB: RE IMSS COMPLICATION
I will begin inquiring immediately. In the meantime, instruct the ANV Neptune to continue laying the cables and send another ship to repair the broken section if possible. Notify the Alliance technicians on the project and report what they tell you back to me.

OOC: Jed, if you want to RP discovery the cable snap (since it would be very loud if it hit the sensor/detector), go ahead. ;)

CLASSIFIED

The cable snap didn’t go unnoticed by the New England technicians and officials supervising the current, and classified, Integrated Undersea Surveillance System (IUSS). Supervisors reported hearing something snapping under the sea, at least from one of the arrays situated on the seafloor near St Pierre. Immediately, the officials drafted an encrypted message to the Department of Defense regarding this situation.

ENCRYPTION CODE: 04-NE7378-24347-N77
TO: DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
PRIORITY: CLASSIFIED
SUBJECT: IUSS BREACH?
We have a situation here regarding the Integrated Undersea Surveillance System (IUSS). At one of the allays near St. Pierre (the Seafloor Allay Three), we have reported hearing something snapping under the sea, and this have led to concerns that something may have crossed over one of our IUSS allays, thus potentially compromising our classified IUSS network. There is a possibility that we might have run into a SOSUS, or something similar, system of another nation – but we aren’t sure about it. We are looking into this right now, and will report to you if we find anything.

ENCRYPTION CODE: 04-NE7378-25714-N91
TO: IUSS DEPARTMENT
PRIORITY: CLASSIFIED
SUBJECT: RE: IUSS BREACH?
Very well, we will work together with you into investigating the potential breach of our IUSS network. Inform the officials and technicians to continue on as usual, but instruct them to take appropriate measures if further events take place.

***Classified***

A courier arrived at the New England government offices in New York City carrying a sealed letter addressed to the New England Secretary of Defense Robert Gates. It read:

I have some rather urgent issues which I wish to discuss with you in person. The information is very sensitive and is too risky to proceed with a discussion even over secure and encrypted channels. I propose a meet in Boston or Bermuda, whichever you prefer. I am able to accommodate you whenever you have time.

Darryl Bradford

Ardorian Minister of Defense

OOC: I'm thinking of moving the RP to another thread so I don't derail this one. I'll post a new topic once Gates replies.

***Classified***

A courier arrived at the New England government offices in New York City carrying a sealed letter addressed to the New England Secretary of Defense Robert Gates. It read:

OOC: Heh, New York City isnt the capital - that is, if that's what you mean. Boston is the capital. :P

IC:

CLASSIFIED

Robert M. Gates received the telegram that had arrived at his office. Upon reading it, the SecDef immediately drafted a reply.

Very well, I would like to propose a meeting here in Boston, if you don't mind. I look forward to meeting with you.

Robert M. Gates

Secretary of Defense

OOC: I'm thinking of moving the RP to another thread so I don't derail this one. I'll post a new topic once Gates replies.

OOC: Ah, okay. :wub:

OOC: Heh, New York City isnt the capital - that is, if that's what you mean. Boston is the capital. :P

OOC: But surely your government has at least an office in a major city. :P

Very well, I would like to propose a meeting here in Boston, if you don't mind. I look forward to meeting with you.

Robert M. Gates

Secretary of Defense

*Response*

Agreed. I look forward to meeting you as well.

Darryl Bradford

Minister of Defense

OOC: Continued here: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=61143

Tbs-logo.jpg

Atlanta, GA (TBS) - The Ardorian federal government opened two new government buildings today, one to become the headquarters of the Defense Ministry and the other to become the headquarters of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA).

The Defense Ministry Headquarters located at the I-20 and I-75/I-85 interchange just east of the Georgia State House.

r206891_789190.jpg

The National Intelligence Agency Headquarters in Ansley Park at the I-75 and I-85 split north of Atlanta.

nsa_aerial.jpg

***Classified***

The walls along the Xaristan and Louisiana borders were now complete. Pillbox and artillery emplacements were still under construction and are estimated at 40% complete. Installation of radars at the radar stations has begun as well as the SAM launch facilities. The radar stations and SAMs would be located approimately 50 miles apart from each other along the entire length of the border defense system. Along the Tennessee and former UAS borders, the walls were nearing completion with only the barbed wire and electrical systems installed. Forts along the wall stil had to be furnished but were near copletion as well.

--------------------

***Classified***

The IMSS arrays between Bermuda and St Pierre were finished and damaged sections repaired. New arrays extending south form Bermuda towards the Bahamas were still being constructed and facility upgrades at the control center in Bermuda were underway. The entire upgrade project is estimated to be 35% complete.

***Classified***

With Louisiana being dissolved, the border defense priority list was rearranged. The Xaristani Border Defenses were still the top priority and much of the other prioritizations did not change much. The Xaristani border wall was complete. It is made of a 40ft wide and 20ft deep trench followed immediately by an earthen embankment that is of equal dimensions. 100ft behind the embankment is a 40ft wide tapering to 20ft at the top and 40ft tall reinforced concrete wall. The trench would be partially filled with water to discourage bridge building. Czech hedgehogs were also placed on the embankment and the area between the embankment and the concrete wall. The area between the embankment and the concrete wall would also be planted with mines. Pillboxes and artillery were to be placed on top of the concrete wall to provide clear fileds of fire over the back face of the embankment and the area between the embankment and the wall. Radar, AAA, and SAMs would be built on top of the wall but also in smaller facilities approximately 1 mile behind the walls. AAA were to be installed every 500ft and SAMs would be installed every 2500ft along the wall. The Mississippi River Line would be built to almost identical specifications.

***Classified***

The IMSS Control Center upgrades were nearly complete. During the refurbishment, new wiring was installed that would later lead to a feed to the New England IUSS system. Few people new of the integration project and few peopl took notice of the wiring as well, dismissing it as part of the upgrade. The Bermuda North arrays were online and the Bermuda South arrays were nearing completion. The Atlantic Coast arrays were to be expanded but construction had not yet begun. The entire project is estimated at 45% complete.

***Classified***

A late design change to the Mississippi River Line and the Xaristani Border Defenses were recently completed. It involved installing machine gun mounts inside the concrete walls behind the embankments to increase the firepower available to the defenders. The walls, which already had passageway and tunnels through them, had pillbox like rooms built to accommodate the new defenses. Much of the Mississippi River Line is also complete. All that remains is to install the weapons and artillery and flood the trench which connects to the river itself in several locations.

***Classified***

With Xaristani forces returning to their homes, a small group soldiers went north along the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel to fortify the Fisherman's Island Border Checkpoint to increase security and to more thoroughly search vehicles entering Ardoria over the bridge.

***Classified***

All of the Bermuda Arrays for the IMSS were complete and online. New Atlantic Coast Array expansions were beginning to be built and laid. The entire project is estimated to be 65% complete.

Tbs-logo.jpg

Atlanta, GA (TBS) - After private discussions with the New England federal government, which was now in charge of the former UAS' land, an agreement was reached to transfer the southern half of the Hampton Peninsula (which includes parts of Newport News and Hampton) as well as Fisherman's Island (which is the northern end of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel). The acquisition of Fishermand's Island will allow the Virginia Beach Border Checkpoint to be relocated to Fisherman's Island, reducing delays for those crossing the Bridge-Tunnel toward's Ardoria.

***Classified***

The Ardorian Military approved of the EMP Proofing for all military facilities, major government buildings, power generation stations and the key points in the national electrical grid, as well as certain major civilian structures. Some newly built structures already have been hardened against EMPs during construction (most notably Bermuda, the Defense Ministry's Headquarters, and the NIA Headquarters are already hardened against EMPs). The highest priorities wil go to electrical generation stations and buildings in the Atlanta area.\

***Classified***

The Mississippi River Defense Line has been completed and installation of radar, SAM, and AAA is being completed and is expected to finish within the nest 2 weeks. The defense line along the Rebel Virginia border has been upgraded to the same design as that of Xaristan's and the Mississippi River.

***Classified***

The EMP-proofing of key government buildings such as the Presidential Residence and the Georgia State House is complete. All nuclear power plants in the country have also been hardened against EMPs and work is beginning on major substations and transformers. EMP-profing is beginning at major military installations such as air force bases and naval bases as well. Total progress at high priority sites is estimated at 23% complete.

***Classified***

The Mississippi River Defense Line has been completed and installation of weapons is complete as well. The northern border defenses with Rebel Virginia have been upgraded. Behind the double fence will be a concrete wall similar to those along the Xaristani border except smaller in scale. Air defenses would be the same along the entire land border. Seawall construction along the barrier islands has begun and the forts guarding key bodies of water are beginning construction as well.

• 2 weeks later...

***Classified***

EMP-proofing is estimated at 47% complete. All Air Force bases and those that the Air Force shares with other branches have been hardened. Half of the nation's Navy and Army installations have been EMP-proofed. Major electrical infrastructure (nuclear power plants, major transmission lines, substations, etc.) has been hardened while secondary electrical targets (other power plants and minor subtations) are currently in the process of being protected against EMPs.

***Classified***

The Northern and Tennessee Border Lines are approximately 60% complete. Barrier fences and the concrete walls have been built and the forts along the border are beginning construction. Installation of equipment and weapons is expected within the next few weeks. The seawall along the Outer Banks, conprised of a concrete wall 30ft high and 20ft wide at the base tapering to 10ft at the top. Machine guns, AAA, and SAMs will be placed on the top of the wall. The forst guarding the entrances to Ardorian ports and harbors will be built in the sme manner. Seawall and coastal defense structures are estimatecd at 34% complete.

***Classified***

The IMSS upgrade has been completed. The system covered the eastern Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic Ocean from the coast outward to Bermuda, a 500 mile radius around Bermuda, and a line of sensors from Bermuda north to St. Pierre. Links to the New England IUSS were complete and the Navy was now only waiting for its counterpart in New England to finish their part of the "joint" project.

• 3 weeks later...

***Classified***

EMP-proofing at all military and key government facilities has been completed. Major electrical infrastructure and important utilities are currnetly in the process of being hardened against EMPs. Total progress is estimated at 83%.

***Classified***

The Tennessee and New England Border Defenses have been completed. Weapons installation is complete. Seawall and coastal defense structures are 68% complete.