Integrating Integration

Raritan

"Can I get another cup of coffee?" Ardorian Minister of Defense Darryl Bradford asked of the Air Force flight attendants.

"Yes sir, right away."

Over the PA system:

"We will be landing in Boston very shortly. All passengers please fasten your seatbelts and flight attendants prepare for landing"

Darryl close the folder and intelligence briefing he'd been reading on the short flight as he buckled his seatbelt and prepared for the landing. He would be meeting with his counterpart in the New England government in the afternoon.

----------

The Gulfstream touched down just after 11AM in the morning and taxied to a small apron...

OOC: Why do I have the feeling this is about me?

OOC: To be honest, we're planning an invasion of you. Remember I wanted Pennsylvania? Now I'm going to seize it by force. You've been warned. :awesome:

lul, not really. We're gonna have a hawt rp. It's related to something under the sea... :ph34r:

IC: As the aircraft, the Gulfstream, steadily stopped to a halt on the apron, New England airport officials and staff workers scrambled about, doing their usual business. When the Ardonian Minister of Defense stepped out of the plane, he would find Robert M. Gates himself waiting nearby, with several officials.

"Secretary Gates, I presume?" the Minister of Defense asked as he reached the bottom of the stairs. "We've much to discuss. Where will we be headed?"

Gates smiled as he stepped forward to shake the Minister of Defense's hand. "Yes, I am...you are Minister Bradford, I presume?" He inquired, grinning. "We will be heading to the Massachusetts State House to discuss this urgent matter, so to say. So, shall we be on our way, then?"

The SecDef led the Minister and the rest of the delegation to a series of diplomatic vehicles that were convinently parked a few feet away. Stasi agents opened the doors of one of the vehicles as to let Gates and Bradford get in.

OOC: We can skip ahead to the meeting itself, if you want. :P

OOC: Was going to do that anyway. :P

IC:

After a short ride through Boston, they arrived at the State House. After the formalities associated with a meeting, the discussion itself began.

"I have here a short document which you may be interested in skimming through afterwards. I'm afraid parts of it have had to be blacked out due to clasification issues and security clearances but you should be able to pick up the main idea. Basically, one of our cable layers, the ANV Neptune as you'll see in the report, was laying an undersea communications line from our base in Bermuda up north to St Pierre. We've run into some issues with the cable snapping in certain locations, shown on the map on page 4. We know that Canada used to have a SOSUS network in place but we were never able to discover the extent of it. Since the section of ocean is off the coast of New England and you had fairly good relations with Canada, we thought that we'd come to you to see if you had any information on undersea structures in these areas. Also, please note that the information in the report which I just handed you cannot be distributed to anyone and nobody can know of its existence without prior approval by myself."

OOC: Was going to do that anyway. :P

IC:

After a short ride through Boston, they arrived at the State House. After the formalities associated with a meeting, the discussion itself began.

"I have here a short document which you may be interested in skimming through afterwards. I'm afraid parts of it have had to be blacked out due to clasification issues and security clearances but you should be able to pick up the main idea. Basically, one of our cable layers, the ANV Neptune as you'll see in the report, was laying an undersea communications line from our base in Bermuda up north to St Pierre. We've run into some issues with the cable snapping in certain locations, shown on the map on page 4. We know that Canada used to have a SOSUS network in place but we were never able to discover the extent of it. Since the section of ocean is off the coast of New England and you had fairly good relations with Canada, we thought that we'd come to you to see if you had any information on undersea structures in these areas. Also, please note that the information in the report which I just handed you cannot be distributed to anyone and nobody can know of its existence without prior approval by myself."

Gates paused for a moment as he mulled over Bradford's words. He was aware about the Integrated Underseas Surveillance System (IUSS), and he was the one who had ordered it to remain classified for the time being. What Bradford just described certainly matched the situation that had occurred some time ago, when the IUSS Department had telegramed him about a certain situat--oh, yes.

"Hm, nobody else can know, eh? Does that include the President himself?" Gates joked lightly in an attempt to inject some humor in the situation. "Hm..." He remained silent for a moment as he skimmed over the document, noticing that some parts were, indeed, blacked out. "Well, we has had good relations with the former Canada, yes." Gates stated as he set down the document on the table. "But they didn't share any SOSUS plans with us, and so..."

Gates glanced around and spoke in a quieter voice. "What I say next must not leave the room." He then spoke in a normal tone. "We have been developing a new network similiar to that of the SOSUS, with the help of the Tahoans. Most of our plans are based on theirs and we are working with them to achieve such."

OOC: Sorry for butting in, but I thought I'd show you guys the approximate extent of what was the Canadian SOSUS. It expanded as my coasts expanded, of course.

This map's some months old, as you can see with 'Artemis'.

th_SOSUS.png

Clickable, btw.

And, in theory, you could find out how big it is if you just try. It's deactivated though, and reactivating would require a chain of command that no longer exists, to it'll fall apart over the next years without people taking care of it.

Gates paused for a moment as he mulled over Bradford's words. He was aware about the Integrated Underseas Surveillance System (IUSS), and he was the one who had ordered it to remain classified for the time being. What Bradford just described certainly matched the situation that had occurred some time ago, when the IUSS Department had telegramed him about a certain situat--oh, yes.

"Hm, nobody else can know, eh? Does that include the President himself?" Gates joked lightly in an attempt to inject some humor in the situation. "Hm..." He remained silent for a moment as he skimmed over the document, noticing that some parts were, indeed, blacked out. "Well, we has had good relations with the former Canada, yes." Gates stated as he set down the document on the table. "But they didn't share any SOSUS plans with us, and so..."

Gates glanced around and spoke in a quieter voice. "What I say next must not leave the room." He then spoke in a normal tone. "We have been developing a new network similiar to that of the SOSUS, with the help of the Tahoans. Most of our plans are based on theirs and we are working with them to achieve such."

Bradford was caught somewhat off guard with what he had just heard. He hadn't expected gates to reveal the information so soon into the discussion. He paused for a few moments while he thought about what to say next. Would it make sense to--of course, he'd already given Gates most of it.

"That would certainly make sense. If we happened to run over one of your hydrophones, it would cause a cable snap." At the end of that sentence, he paused for a moment, then continued in a whisper, "What I'm about to tell you cannot be told to anyone else, most people in my own government don't know about it yet." He then brought his voice back up to a normal level, "That packet which I handed you a few minutes ago is actually the details for what we call Project Triton. The cable layer was laying the second of three arrays we're building between Bermuda and St Pierre. That's the real reason why I came here."

OOC: Sorry for butting in, but I thought I'd show you guys the approximate extent of what was the Canadian SOSUS. It expanded as my coasts expanded, of course.

th_SOSUS.png

Clickable, btw.

And, in theory, you could find out how big it is if you just try. It's deactivated though, and reactivating would require a chain of command that no longer exists, to it'll fall apart over the next years without people taking care of it.

OOC: Ah, cool. Danke. :awesome:

Bradford was caught somewhat off guard with what he had just heard. He hadn't expected gates to reveal the information so soon into the discussion. He paused for a few moments while he thought about what to say next. Would it make sense to--of course, he'd already given Gates most of it.

"That would certainly make sense. If we happened to run over one of your hydrophones, it would cause a cable snap." At the end of that sentence, he paused for a moment, then continued in a whisper, "What I'm about to tell you cannot be told to anyone else, most people in my own government don't know about it yet." He then brought his voice back up to a normal level, "That packet which I handed you a few minutes ago is actually the details for what we call Project Triton. The cable layer was laying the second of three arrays we're building between Bermuda and St Pierre. That's the real reason why I came here."

IC: Gates rubbed his chin as he thought about what the Ardorian Minister had just said. "Ah, so as I thought. The officials working at the project reported hearing something snap. Perhaps that's exactly what happened, one of our underwater arrays must have got run over or something..." Gates paused for a moment. "So, what do you have in mind, sir?"

Edited by JEDCJT

Gates rubbed his chin as he thought about what the Ardorian Minister had just said. "Ah, so as I thought. The officials working at the project reported hearing something snap. Perhaps that's exactly what happened, one of our underwater arrays must have got run over or something..." Gates paused for a moment. "So, what do you have in mind, sir?"

"The thought occurred to me that we might be able to integrate our two systems and create a complete SOSUS network for the entire eastern seaboard and the Gulf of Mexico. It would be much more effective and lest costly than both of us maintaining separate systems."

"The thought occurred to me that we might be able to integrate our two systems and create a complete SOSUS network for the entire eastern seaboard and the Gulf of Mexico. It would be much more effective and lest costly than both of us maintaining separate systems."

Gates smiled at the proposition. "That would be benefical for the both of our nations. I approve of that, and I'm sure the rest of the Department of Defense would as well. Hopefully it would prevent any further accidents, though, heh." He joked.

Gates smiled at the proposition. "That would be benefical for the both of our nations. I approve of that, and I'm sure the rest of the Department of Defense would as well. Hopefully it would prevent any further accidents, though, heh." He joked.

"Heh, I'm very certain it would. I need to make a few calls back to the Defense Ministry and I"ll get you a copy of the Project Triton reports. Say we meet again at 4 in the afternoon?"

"Heh, I'm very certain it would. I need to make a few calls back to the Defense Ministry and I"ll get you a copy of the Project Triton reports. Say we meet again at 4 in the afternoon?"

Gates smiled and nodded. "Agreed, 4pm it is then. I need to have lunch, heh." He then stood up and shook hands with Bradford. "Oh, and I'll get you a copy of documents regarding our system, I'll personally deliver them myself."

OOC: Want to sk--yeah, you get the idea. :P

Gates smiled and nodded. "Agreed, 4pm it is then. I need to have lunch, heh." He then stood up and shook hands with Bradford. "Oh, and I'll get you a copy of documents regarding our system, I'll personally deliver them myself."

OOC: Want to sk--yeah, you get the idea. :P

"Alright then," Bradford said as he stood up to leave and get some lunch.

----------

Later...

Bradford had just finished up getting copies of the Project Triton files faxed to him and he left the embassy to go back to the State House and meet with Gates again.

"Hello, again," he stated as he dropped the file onto the coffee table in the middle of the room. "That's all the information there is right now. Plans, implementation procedures, software, manpower, all of it is in there."

th_SOSUS.png

Clickable, btw.

OOC: Wow...that network was HUGE!

OOC: Just to let you know... you're going to run into problems with this in the future. After the current war I'll be RPing the creation of some elaborate and significant border defenses, mostly in the water. Any SOSUS network that goes around Xaristan will be interrupted, I can assure you.

OOC: Hmmm...that should make for some interesting RP.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

"Alright then," Bradford said as he stood up to leave and get some lunch.

----------

Later...

Bradford had just finished up getting copies of the Project Triton files faxed to him and he left the embassy to go back to the State House and meet with Gates again.

"Hello, again," he stated as he dropped the file onto the coffee table in the middle of the room. "That's all the information there is right now. Plans, implementation procedures, software, manpower, all of it is in there."

Gates picked up and file and scanned through it. When he finished, he looked up and smiled. "This will be top-secret material, I'll have it stored in a safe area where nobody else but me can access it. Oh, speaking of which..." He paused as he handed another file, marked TOP-SECRET and Integrated Underseas Surveillance System (IUSS) on the cover. "Here's the information regarding our network, named the IUSS, as you can see there."

OOC: Just to let you know... you're going to run into problems with this in the future. After the current war I'll be RPing the creation of some elaborate and significant border defenses, mostly in the water. Any SOSUS network that goes around Xaristan will be interrupted, I can assure you.

OOC: Hm, this would make for an interesting RP... :P

Edited by JEDCJT

Gates picked up and file and scanned through it. When he finished, he looked up and smiled. "This will be top-secret material, I'll have it stored in a safe area where nobody else but me can access it. Oh, speaking of which..." He paused as he handed another file, marked TOP-SECRET and Integrated Underseas Surveillance System (IUSS) on the cover. "Here's the information regarding our network, named the IUSS, as you can see there."

Bradford quickly flipped through the file. "I'll have to go through this later in detail. I'm thinking that we can create a centralized control center for the entire network and have two links between the two systems, one at St Pierre and one in Bermuda. If someone cuts one off, the other can still pass information between the two."

Bradford quickly flipped through the file. "I'll have to go through this later in detail. I'm thinking that we can create a centralized control center for the entire network and have two links between the two systems, one at St Pierre and one in Bermuda. If someone cuts one off, the other can still pass information between the two."

"Like a back-up file, eh?" Gates remarked as he put the file into a drawer at his desk (it had a lock on it, accessible by a keypad, which can only be opened by the SecDef himself). "That would be a good idea. I trust that we will have a successful time integrating our systems together. Keep in mind, though, that we will have to recalibrate our technology together so they can correspond with each other." The SecDef said as he surveyed the Ardorian Minister.

Edited by JEDCJT

"Like a back-up file, eh?" Gates remarked as he put the file into a drawer at his desk (it had a lock on it, accessible by a keypad, which can only be opened by the SecDef himself). "That would be a good idea. I trust that we will have a successful time integrating our systems together. Keep in mind, though, that we will have to recalibrate our technology together so they can correspond with each other." The SecDef said as he surveyed the Ardonian Minister.

OOC: Ardorian, 2 "R"'s", not an "R" and an "N"

IC:

"Always have backups and redundancies, you never will know what can go wrong," Bradford said as he got up to leave. "Details can be worked out later, but the general idea is agreed upon. I hope to see more cooperation between our two nations in the future," he concluded as he walked to the door.

***Classified***

ENCRYPTION: 09-S25396-S4854-F5
PRIORITY: URGENT
TO: VICE.ADM PIERCE HARPER
SUB: IMSS CHANGES
I will be visiting you at Bermuda in two days. I have some changes which need to be made to the IMSS and will discuss them with you at that time.