Defense Announcement of Strigia

Margrave

"It started with ammunition."

That was the opening remark by the once-Premier of Constantinople in Strigia today, speaking on world-wide unveiling of the national defenses that have been constructed over the course of several months.

"We first ran into the problem in the street-fighting here in our own beloved capital. Ammo was scarce, and the gangs would lose members every time they sent them on a scavenging mission for ammunition; this is the reason why knife fights and duels were able to take such a prevalent role in the conflict. Later, after my association liberated the city and brought together the Confederated States of Strigia to found the Noble Demesne Of Strigia, we ran into the same problem, especially after the border conflict with the Phoenix Empire. Thus it was decided by the Margrave's council and myself to create a new system of ammo distribution...and it picked up speed from there.

"First, we built earth-covered Magazines to house our different ammo stock, attaching one to three mag's to every city, maintaining safety and hazmat standard distances. Next, we brought in the walls, and the armed guards, to keep raiders out of the Magazines. Reinforced concrete, sandbags, blast doors...we've invested a great deal of time and effort into the problem. In order to keep them supplied, we re-paved the roads linking the cities, in order to allow the ammo trucks to have ease of access to each Ammunition Supply Point.. At the same time, we built airfields next to most of our major cities, and several of our fortified towns, in order to keep an aerial route of supply to any possible fronts. It was quite the project. We used conscripted labor, an unfortunate state of affairs for a country which allows democratic elections, but the recent troubles and the fear of resuming those dark times has kept even our conscripted workers relatively pleased, and currently we pay better than the greatly damaged private sector. While I hope that changes, for the moment, we must deal with the facts as they are.

"These defenses, however, grew in time and in scope. What began as a project to defend key ammo supply points in many cases engulfed whole cities in defenses, as conscripted workers volunteered to stay in after their six month contract for military duties. Recent investments into our country, some still pouring in from the global private sector's investments, have allowed us to sustain this large military movement. Thus the average Strigian soldier is no longer seen out of uniform, carrying an AK-47, looking as though he hasn't shaved or bathed in weeks. The Strigian soldier now carries an M-14, a Strigian make with an extended magazine. He has a winter uniform of white and a summer uniform of woodland digital patterns. His dress uniform is black, and his service uniform is green. The NCO corps of the Army has expanded drastically, as well trained, young NonComs have taken over key leadership roles for our over-stressed Commissioned Officers Corps. The fighting against bandits has been constant, giving our soldiery the best education in guerilla warfare money cannot buy, and our recent supplies of economic aid have allowed us to support basing and heavily fortifying our territories in Greece and in the Balkans, air bases with modern military defenses, turrets and gun positions.

"Which leads me to my next point; although still not consolidated and standardized, we've seen a massive enlistment for the Flight Corps, and have been able to respond with a wealth of attack and support craft. Our pilots have unfortunately not had much combat experience beyond ground fighting, but we expect time will take care of that. In the meanwhile, they are well trained and well armed; our mountain air bases are some of the most remote, difficult places to get to, in some cases only conveniently available by air-travel, and the fact that they make runs to and from such stations daily is only surprising to men who have not seen their dedication. I have, and I will make good use of it, for the People of Strigia and our beloved land.

"Last but not least, on the civilian front: as we brought ammunition, we also brought radios and public TV's, and broadcast educational progams in lieu of an official public school system, an agenda we are still attempting to fix. My Government has purchased a wealth of radios, which we have done our best to pass out to each household, so that we may maintain constant contact with our people and keep transparency. On the public screens, they hear my voice, they see the debates of their local ministers, and they see their elected representatives make their arguments before the council. They know my power is not absolute; they have seen me lose on the debate floor as logic asserted itself over passion. They have heard me promise jobs; indeed, the military defense jobs were my first in a long line of job-creating opportunities. I have already long since granted a mass second job-creation in the form of farming, mining, factory-working, and administration. While government Unions currently rule these businesses, we have arranged so that in three years we will be able to shut down government mandated pricing and allow the free market to truly take hold. They have also heard my order that went into affect last month, that every household should own a rifle and a pistol and 200 rounds of ammo. Gun safety is a must in our country, with raiders and house-breakers still on the rise, and what better safety is there than being able to protect your own? Additionally, these households will be called to send men to train once monthly at local training stations, with exceptions, and will be called upon in a time of crisis to defend their homeland.

"There are other things to say; how our recent mass-purchase of tanks, aeroplanes, ammunition and weapons, body armor and support gear, have only been matched by our civilian purchases for the comfort of our people. Much more shall be said of Strigia...but until then, I bid you good-day."

*Secret Transmission to ????*

Our underground efforts have met with some success; but bunkering is an ongoing project. Our mountain fortification, however, has gone splendidly, and we can now boast a complex network of caverns, tunnels, underground hideaways and low profile open-air supply stations, fortified positions, caches and bunkers running through most of our mountain ranges. We have also been supplied with a wealth of ammunition and artillery, causing us to have to expand the recruiting pool for the artillery arm of the Army. Currently, the deployment schedule for the National Army and the Air Force has them stationed in the mountain ranges and the border positions with a six month rotation.

God Speed,

Guiscard.