Income and Hapiness calculations

Deep Blue C

I'm trying to accurately model my happiness and income using excel. I'm struggling to find all of the variables.

What things affect the actual income rather than the happiness? I know about Happiness ($2), resources such as furs and modifiers from improvements such as banks, but I'm still short. Is there a basic starting value for the income? and if so what is it (I've got about $36 to account for at the moment). Or are there other factors that affect income directly?

Moving to happiness- I've got trade bonus, improvement (Stadiums etc), resources, technology,Defcon,govt and religion,tax rates,environment (but not what determines the number of stars). I think age of nation and amount of infra are involved, but has anyone worked out how? I've about 1.6 happiness to account for.

Sorry to ask but this thing is driving me up the wall. :wacko:

tl;dr Help

I could get around $50 if I didn't apply the bank etc. % increase to the "Basic" starting value, only to the happiness/resource incomes. But that doesn't seem right.

With no trades and nothing to offset it, my economy was quite small actually. Perhaps in the 20s or 30s, not 50. Could vary, depending on your native resources.

Happiness as a base affects income by $2. When you hit higher levels, with more modifiers, it changes. At 3999, my income was affected about $4.14 per happiness point. Gross income, naturally.

Ok so now I'm completely confused...My 3month b'day was coming up so I went inactive for 9 days, just paying bills with my surplus. Then, on the 90 days I got +3 happiness so I spent the remaining surplus on infra, a bit of tech and a bit of land(what was I thinking?). I kept careful note of happiness income etc. to see the effect of each purchase.. no great surprises. Then I collected my taxes....and my happiness went down 1 point.

Surely collecting taxes itself doesn't affect happiness?? (And before you ask- I hadn't been messing with the tax rate) :angry:

Then I thought about pop density. Before my spending spree this was 29... but after buying the infra, the pop increase casued it to go up to 30.... Now I'm sure I've read that pop density can affect happiness, and that 30 was a threshold, but as this hadn't affected the happiness before collecting, I'd assumed that this wasn't true. I'm sure I checked before collecting that the happiness hadn't changed and my collection itself was based on the happiness and income before the 1 point drop.

• So is the population density affect on happiness only updated by activity?
  • Or have I missed something?
  • Or are admin playing silly buggers with me cos I'm trying to to crack their secret system ;) (only j/k mr. Mod)

edit-- Just bought enough land to put density below 30, but no effect on happiness - so now I'll wait till tomorrow for collection again.

Edited by Deep Blue C

Ok so now I'm completely confused...My 3month b'day was coming up so I went inactive for 9 days, just paying bills with my surplus. Then, on the 90 days I got +3 happiness so I spent the remaining surplus on infra, a bit of tech and a bit of land(what was I thinking?). I kept careful note of happiness income etc. to see the effect of each purchase.. no great surprises. Then I collected my taxes....and my happiness went down 1 point.

Surely collecting taxes itself doesn't affect happiness?? (And before you ask- I hadn't been messing with the tax rate) :angry:

Then I thought about pop density. Before my spending spree this was 29... but after buying the infra, the pop increase casued it to go up to 30.... Now I'm sure I've read that pop density can affect happiness, and that 30 was a threshold, but as this hadn't affected the happiness before collecting, I'd assumed that this wasn't true. I'm sure I checked before collecting that the happiness hadn't changed and my collection itself was based on the happiness and income before the 1 point drop.

• So is the population density affect on happiness only updated by activity?
  • Or have I missed something?
  • Or are admin playing silly buggers with me cos I'm trying to to crack their secret system ;) (only j/k mr. Mod)

edit-- Just bought enough land to put density below 30, but no effect on happiness - so now I'll wait till tomorrow for collection again.

Your desired government type/religion changed?

Your desired government type/religion changed?

Yes. Now do I feel really stupid! :wacko: So ignore the above rant and celebrate that my nation now actually want a monarchy (yay).