North American Trade Center

Captain Enema

With the agreement to exchange trade bases in place, the NATC begins what is expected to be a lengthy construction process. 500 Million Maltese Dollars from the King's Trading Company are set aside for construction and development of the Port and Warehouse facility. For now, most of the technical positions are filled by Maltese and Legionworks employees. In the future, local applicants will be hired as those positions come open due to reassignments or resignation of Maltese staff members.

ooc: I apologize for the jumbled transcript. It's a partial log as well. 

We have no need of such security, but permission is always welcome. We've other ways of ensuring the safety of our lifeblood. Allow me to draw you a picture. Let's pretend Malta opened a trade base in California and your nation blocked us. 15:28 lordandros <LordAndros>We would do exactly the same which has been done to us in the Med, the Atlantic, and every single place which my nation and my allies have power to do so. In short, what trade you did have would be somewhat restricted. That precious lifeblood, very much curtailed. 15:28 lordandros <LordAndros>We seek no war, but will defend ourselves and our goods accordingly. 15:30 EmperorAlanWymore okay 15:30 lordandros yo' post boy 15:32 EmperorAlanWymore Wouldn't the combination of them stopping your trade and you defending yourself be acts of war 15:33 lordandros Possibly, it depends entirely upon how they respond to having their access to vast regions of the earth removed from their grasp. 15:34 lordandros We'd prefer to negotiate, but our trade must flow unhindered. 15:35 EmperorAlanWymore What would you do if, lets say, Japan stopped your trade. 15:36 lordandros First we'd ask them why they are stopping our trade. We'd then reciprocate accordingly in our spheres of control. The Atlantic and the Med would then be blocked to the Japanese. However, negotiations would take place, we'd hope, before any of that to defuse the situation. 15:37 EmperorAlanWymore What do you think some of the major benefits we would receive from the shared outposts would be? 15:37 lordandros Though, again, we don't see the Japanese as a threat, they are more or less contained to the Pacific and historically they've stayed there. 15:38 lordandros Access to the Med through the Suez canal. The TransAfrican railway is being repaired, the projected profits from expanding trade in Africa are expected to rise by 500 or more percent in the next five years. 15:39 lordandros A trade base there that gives you access to the Med, gives you access to Europe as well. 15:39 EmperorAlanWymore What about mining rights? And land operations? 15:40 lordandros You'd need to negotiate them with individual nations in Africa. The trade base isn't particularly large. 15:40 EmperorAlanWymore How would Malta feel if Cascadia annexed Equatorial Guinea 15:40 lordandros We'd declare war on you. 15:40 lordandros How would you feel if we claimed a piece of Canada or the United States? 15:40 EmperorAlanWymore I thought you were all about diplomacy 15:42 lordandros War is an extension of diplomacy by other means. 15:42 EmperorAlanWymore Well, depending on if this new North American organization comes together or not. If it does we would probably stand back if the other nations declared, if it doesn't we would let you go right along with it. 15:43 lordandros Sort of my point right there, you'd all not let us gobble up bits of your continent, and neither would we ever try. We'd appreciate the same respect in return. 15:46 EmperorAlanWymore What about annexation of a coastal city as an economic exclusion zone. A place that is used by companies to mine and drill in Africa? 15:47 lordandros Would we get the same benefit in North America? 15:48 EmperorAlanWymore What is the size of the area you would be conducting operations in? 15:48 lordandros We control a sizable port in China. 15:49 EmperorAlanWymore How large is it to be exact? 15:49 lordandros The problem we have with turning over an entire city is the fact that the current occupants wouldn't have much of a say in it. 15:50 lordandros We are open to allowing a small base within Tunisia and allowing Cascadia the opprotunity to participate in mineral extraction activities. 15:51 lordandros These activities would need to fall under the environmental guidelines of Malta, which are quite strict. 15:51 lordandros This gives you a small holding for trade and shipping along with wider access to all of Tunisia for Mineral extraction. 15:51 EmperorAlanWymore Do you have a document with the guidelines on them that I could peruse 15:52 lordandros Not on me no, but they are easily found on the internet. In short, the ruinious techniques that include things like cyanide leeching and pit mining are frowned upon. Mineral extraction should have the lowest possible environmental impact possible. 15:56 EmperorAlanWymore Hmm that could prove troublesome in the long run 15:57 lordandros Perhaps we could consider limiting this to a simple trade base agreement? 15:58 EmperorAlanWymore That would probably be best for now 15:59 lordandros Our trade base agreement also gives you Most Favored Nation Status in regards to import and export duties in all Maltese controlled territory. 16:01   *** lordandros is now known as tidybowlman 16:01   *** tidybowlman is now known as Lordandros 16:01 EmperorAlanWymore Any idea where you would like the trade base to be located in Cascadia? 16:03 Lordandros Our Ambassador speaks highly of Portland. Though Puget Sound gives us direct access to a number of large regional and continental markets. 16:08 EmperorAlanWymore What about the city of Astoria it has grown to a population of about 500k and it sits on the mouth of the Columbia 16:10 Lordandros I'd not be opposed to it, though, to clarify, you do mean we are going to be allowed free rights to import and export from the city, and not control the city? 16:13 EmperorAlanWymore Yes that is what I mean 16:16 Lordandros Oh thank goodness, the dreams of Imperialism aren't those of my King. I'd be out of a job if I made that sort of agreement. How about land outside of Astoria for us to develop into a trade base that has a 99 year lease agreement. We'd give you the same near Tunis and hopefully a reciprical MFN agreement along with it. Further, we pledge to assist you in keeping trade flowing between us should our or your neighbors 16:16 Lordandros see fit to deny us this precious inalienable human right. 16:23 EmperorAlanWymore Are you talking about the entirety of Clatsop County? 16:24 Lordandros I'd suggest that's a bit too big. How about a simple exchange of 1 square mile. If you can't build a fully functional port and warehousing complex in 1 square mile, you aren't trying hard enough. 16:26 EmperorAlanWymore That works for us 16:28 Lordandros I shall draw up the agreement and present it to my King for his signature. 16:29 EmperorAlanWymore To be clear the port in Astoria would acct as a distribution center to the region? 16:31 Lordandros I would think the port near Astoria would act as a distribution center for all of North America, much like the port near Tunis would act as a distrubtion center for all of Africa and give you access to Malta under a most favored nation status agreement that would drop all tarrifs on imports and exports. 16:32 EmperorAlanWymore Ah okay I was just clarifying. 16:33   Lordandros pulls out a prepared draft of the agreement and slides it over to Emperor Wymore. 16:34 Lordandros To rehash our agreement, let me list what we are signing. 16:34   EmperorAlanWymore peruses it one last time 16:34 Lordandros Malta will give Cascadia 1 square mile outside of Tunis and we will receive the same from Cascadia outside of Astoria. 16:35 Lordandros Malta agrees to support Cascadia in the event our trade is hindered by outside parties. 16:35 Lordandros The agreement is set to a 99 year duration with the option to extend. 16:39   EmperorAlanWymore signs the agreement 16:40   Lordandros signs King Gregory of Malta and nods at the Emperor with a grin. 16:41 EmperorAlanWymore What? 16:41 Lordandros Well normally I'd travel with my full entourage, but these days going about with hundreds of men just seems to be a huge pain in the ass. 16:42 Lordandros So I figured I'd wander over and meet you in person. 16:42   *** Lordandros is now known as KingGregory 16:42 KingGregory It wasn't hard to sneak out of my own Palace. 16:43 EmperorAlanWymore Your highness 16:43   EmperorAlanWymore stands and gives a short bow 16:43   KingGregory returns the bow 16:44 KingGregory Can we keep this our secret? You too know the lives we live can be so confining. My alternate persona of Lord Andros is dear to me. 16:45   *** KingGregory is now known as tidybowlman 16:45   *** tidybowlman is now known as KingGregory 16:48 EmperorAlanWymore Of course 16:48 EmperorAlanWymore In exchange for this knowledge I will release a secret to you 16:48 EmperorAlanWymore Me and Ms. Winkelman are currently in love 16:48 KingGregory When is the wedding? 16:49 EmperorAlanWymore That is a little difficult 16:50 EmperorAlanWymore We are both high ranking government officials 16:50 KingGregory I can see the problem, though with the proper handling and presentation to the media, anything is possible. 16:53 EmperorAlanWymore That is true 16:53 EmperorAlanWymore Maybe sometime hopefully 16:53 EmperorAlanWymore ( 16:53 EmperorAlanWymore (I actually just got a great idea for an rp) 16:53 KingGregory Is it a matter of her needing to be a member of a noble family? 16:55 EmperorAlanWymore That is partially it, even though I can marry anyone I choose, it is preferred by a lot of my citizens. 16:55 EmperorAlanWymore The main problem is that she was one of the people central to myself getting crowned king 16:55 KingGregory What if she were to be adopted by a fellow Monarch? 16:56 EmperorAlanWymore Certain Nationalists groups within Cascadia would probably not be too happy about that. 16:57 KingGregory Best not to consider it then. 16:57 EmperorAlanWymore They would claim my position and was only gained through lying and cheating 16:57 KingGregory Though the offer is there if you both think it would help. 16:57 EmperorAlanWymore I am Emperor though 16:57   EmperorAlanWymore thinks 17:07   *** KingGregory is now known as tidybowlman 17:07   *** tidybowlman is now known as KingGregory 17:09 EmperorAlanWymore Yes why don't you do it 17:09 EmperorAlanWymore Adopt Kim 17:11 KingGregory Very well, when I return to Malta I will petition the Archbishop of Valletta for permission to adopt Ms. Winkelman. It shouldn't take too long to organize. I will return to Cascadia officially to finalize the arrangements and perhaps if need be meet with these nationalist types to show them I come as a friend to their Emperor and all of Cascadia. 17:12 KingGregory If necessary, I will see to it that these Nationalists are given access to some of the better paying jobs that will come with our North American Trade Center near Astoria. I am sure they'd not mind a fair wage with excellent benefits. 17:14 EmperorAlanWymore Well they already receive excellent benefits but I guess they wish to see more 17:14 EmperorAlanWymore Is it alright if she takes your last name 17:15 KingGregory That is entirely her choice, I'd be honored if not a bit humbled if she did. 17:15 EmperorAlanWymore She will probablly wish to do so 17:18 KingGregory I'd be delighted if she did.   17:48   *** KingGregory is now known as tidybowlman