Babylonian-Zapadnayan Diplomacy

The following message would be transmitted to the Babylonian Empire:

To: Her Excellency Ishtar Kuna, Foreign Affairs Minister, Babylonian Empire

Fr: Field Marshall (ret.) Teodora Petrova, Foreign Minister, Zapadnaya

The government of Zapadnaya hereby requests a bilateral diplomatic meeting with the government of the Babylonian Empire in order to discuss the establishment of diplomatic and economic ties as well as matters relating to the European Community.

If our request is approved, we are prepared to dispatch a representative to meet with the Babylonian government without delay.

Edited by Imperator Azenquor

[b]OOC:[/b] Sure.

[b]IC:[/b]

[i]“Your Excellency, thank you for agreeing to meet with me. Firstly, may I convey on behalf of the Zapadnayan government, our sincere support of the Babylonian Empire’s decision to confront the former Ukrainian regime. We also commend the decision of the Babylonian Empire to prevent the formation of a security vacuum in Europe as a result of the collapse of the Greek state.

In my capacity as Zapadnayan Foreign Minister, I have been tasked to open a dialogue with the Babylonian government on three main areas. The first, is to explore the possibility of establishing formal diplomatic ties between our two nations and to explore potential areas where agreements can be made to increase trade. The second area, is regarding non-aggression and exploring areas of possible security cooperation.

The third area is regarding the European Community. While from our perspective, the European Community has achieved a number of admirable goals, we find some actions by members of the aforementioned community to be of concern. For example, the presence of a military naval unit of a European Community member (who is not a Black Sea nation) in the Black Sea for a prolonged period of time is concerning. We also express the sincere hope that the European Community will not seek to use the situation surrounding the collapse of the Greek state as a precedent with which to act when governments in non-European Community nations collapse. 

These concerns are weighing heavily in the minds of the members of our government as we attempt to determine whether or not to apply for membership in the organization. As a member of the European Community as well as a fellow Black Sea nation, we would welcome the views of the Babylonian Empire on these issues.”[/i]-FM Petrova

OOC: Sure.

IC:

“Your Excellency, thank you for agreeing to meet with me. Firstly, may I convey on behalf of the Zapadnayan government, our sincere support of the Babylonian Empire’s decision to confront the former Ukrainian regime. We also commend the decision of the Babylonian Empire to prevent the formation of a security vacuum in Europe as a result of the collapse of the Greek state.

In my capacity as Zapadnayan Foreign Minister, I have been tasked to open a dialogue with the Babylonian government on three main areas. The first, is to explore the possibility of establishing formal diplomatic ties between our two nations and to explore potential areas where agreements can be made to increase trade. The second area, is regarding non-aggression and exploring areas of possible security cooperation.

The third area is regarding the European Community. While from our perspective, the European Community has achieved a number of admirable goals, we find some actions by members of the aforementioned community to be of concern. For example, the presence of a military naval unit of a European Community member (who is not a Black Sea nation) in the Black Sea for a prolonged period of time is concerning. We also express the sincere hope that the European Community will not seek to use the situation surrounding the collapse of the Greek state as a precedent with which to act when governments in non-European Community nations collapse. 

These concerns are weighing heavily in the minds of the members of our government as we attempt to determine whether or not to apply for membership in the organization. As a member of the European Community as well as a fellow Black Sea nation, we would welcome the views of the Babylonian Empire on these issues.”-FM Petrova

'I thank you for your words regarding the Ukraine crisis, it seems support for our actions are thinly laid on the ground. As for Greece, we have not claimed protectorateship over all of Greece, only the Greek territories within Anatolia, the territory of Greece herself is to become a Eurocom protectorate and proposals are in the works to grant Aidennic Alexandria governence over Istanbul/Constantinople due to the cultural and religious connection between the city and the state, something widely agreed on by the European Community. As for potential treaties, we are applicable to both economic and military partnerships Minister, its all about the ground work we put into it to make it work to benefit both our states.' she said, sipping some water before continuing.

'Please refresh my memory and remind me which state had naval units in the black sea apart from the Empire? So many details from that whole debacle, its no surprise some of the bigger issues escape my memory' she said laughing a little before returning to a serious buisiness face.

'The European Community is at present and at the request of the Empire, decided on wether or not to make Greece a Eurocom protectorate, as for it becoming a regular thing, I couldn't tell you. At its formation, the EC was controlled so to speak, by five nations, the Empire was one of them. Thoughtless acts and whining allowed more and more members into the security branch of the EC, believing it to be some sort of United Nations Security Council, something it was and still is, not. It is simply a second tier of nations who wanted 100% security through a mutual defensive pact, not an optional defensive pact.

I honestly believe it isn't in Zapadnayas best interests to apply for membership to the European Community, the way things are going at the moment, the Empire is probably going to be leaving it.'

“I understand. Thank you for the clarification. While we still have some reservations over the establishment of a Euro Comm protectorate in the European territories of the former Greek state, we acknowledge that it appears to be the best solution at this point in time. 

Regarding bilateral military ties, perhaps we may lay the foundations upon which a future military and economic partnership may be built. Would the Babylonian Empire object to signing an Optional Defense Pact with Zapadnaya provided that this pact would include a clause allowing the document to be reviewed after a period of time and allowing it to be upgraded or downgraded after that review period?

According to a preliminary report, it appears that the Kingdom of Portugal has a group of ships in the Black Sea. At this time we have heard no public statement as to why such a deployment has taken place and if said deployment is under the aegis of the European Community or the Kingdom of Portugal itself. We believe that the arrival of these vessels may have taken place around the time of the Ukraine debacle, but we do not understand why they have yet to be withdrawn. Under normal circumstances we would raise the issue directly with the European Community, however we have had no diplomatic contact with European Community member nations until now. (OOC: [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?/topic/122163-kingdom-of-portugal/?p=3265091"]Naval Factbook deployment[/url]  [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?/topic/122163-kingdom-of-portugal/?p=3271741"]Post ordering the ships to the Black Sea[/url] )

I thank you for your frank expression of the realities of the European Community as an organization. The points you have raised in that regard and your recommendation will undoubtedly have an impact on the nature of the debate within the Zapadnayan government regarding the European Community.-FM Petrova

“I understand. Thank you for the clarification. While we still have some reservations over the establishment of a Euro Comm protectorate in the European territories of the former Greek state, we acknowledge that it appears to be the best solution at this point in time. 

Regarding bilateral military ties, perhaps we may lay the foundations upon which a future military and economic partnership may be built. Would the Babylonian Empire object to signing an Optional Defense Pact with Zapadnaya provided that this pact would include a clause allowing the document to be reviewed after a period of time and allowing it to be upgraded or downgraded after that review period?

According to a preliminary report, it appears that the Kingdom of Portugal has a group of ships in the Black Sea. At this time we have heard no public statement as to why such a deployment has taken place and if said deployment is under the aegis of the European Community or the Kingdom of Portugal itself. We believe that the arrival of these vessels may have taken place around the time of the Ukraine debacle, but we do not understand why they have yet to be withdrawn. Under normal circumstances we would raise the issue directly with the European Community, however we have had no diplomatic contact with European Community member nations until now. (OOC: Naval Factbook deployment  Post ordering the ships to the Black Sea )

I thank you for your frank expression of the realities of the European Community as an organization. The points you have raised in that regard and your recommendation will undoubtedly have an impact on the nature of the debate within the Zapadnayan government regarding the European Community.-FM Petrova

"An ODP would be a goods begining point to developing further military ties later down the line, I also have no qualms about a review clause. It gives us an excuse to meet again to discuss points of interest aswell that may be affecting our nations or regions. As for the portuguese fleet, I will get our representative to the EC to question the deployment and why it has not ended.'

OOC: Sorry for the delay.

IC:

“Certainly. And may I extend my government’s thanks for your willingness to raise the issue of the Portuguese ships with the European Community.

May I present the following draft of an Optional Defense Pact for your consideration.”-FM Petrova

Babylonian-Zapadnayan Optional Defense Pact

Article 1: Sovereignty

The Babylonian Empire and the Zapadnayan Republic, hereafter referred to as the signatories, shall not have their sovereignty or territorial integrity impacted by the signing of this pact. Each signatory shall recognize the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the other signatory and shall take no steps to undermine this sovereignty and territorial integrity.

Article 2: Non-Aggression

The signatories shall agree not to undertake any act of aggression against each other, be it covert or overt in nature, while this agreement is in force. Both signatories also pledge not to allow their territory to be used for the purposes of carrying out an act of aggression against the other signatory.

Article 3: Optional Defense

Each signatory of this pact is highly encouraged, but by no means obligated, to assist the other signatory in the event of an aggressive war being waged against them by a third party (or parties) once an official request from the defending signatory is received. If a signatory requests assistance under this article, the other signatory is obliged to respond to the request for assistance (even if the response is a rejection) in a timely manner.

Article 3b: Assistance under Article 3

Either signatory may request financial, civil and/or military assistance from the other signatory under the terms outlined in Article 3.

Article 4: Review of Defense Ties

Recognizing the dynamic nature of international politics and the desire of both signatories to use this pact as a foundation upon which to build constructive bilateral ties, both signatories shall pledge to review this pact on a regular basis. During each review period the signatories will determine if the pact should remain as is, be upgraded or downgraded. Changes to the pact during a review period must have the support of both signatories.

Article 5: Cancellation

Should either signatory feel that this pact is no longer in the best interests of their nation, they may initiate cancellation of the pact by informing the other signatory of their intention to do so. Once this notification is received, a seven day (OOC: 48 hours) period must elapse during which both signatories are still bound by the articles of the treaty. Upon the conclusion of this period, the treaty is cancelled.

Signed for the Babylonian Empire,
Lady Ishtar Kuna, Chief Foreign Affairs Minister

Signed for Zapadnaya,
Field Marshal Teodora Petrova, Foreign Minister

After adding her signature to the document, FM Petrova sent a copy of the treaty to the Senate for ratification which was quickly granted.

"May the pact we have signed today signal a new era in our bilateral diplomatic relations."-FM Petrova