Diplomacy across the Pacific

Evangeline Anovilis

Following the announcement by Foreign Minister Nakamichi about starting relations with countries overseas, the first few weeks little would happen on the surface, however within the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and also within the cabinet, already first evaluations and reports were gathered and discussed, in order to determine a reasonable approach to the outside world. One idea that was soon approved, due to being most likely less problematic than most others was to initiate talks with Western Canada, an area that had much to offer.

Confidential!

To: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Calgarian Federation

Subject: Establishment of lasting relations

To whomever it concerns,

Given the age of the Calgarian Federation and the Dai-Tōhoku Renpō, as well as our respective locations at the Pacific ocean, our government has considered the possibility of establishing greater ties with your nation and I thus would like to ask about whether we could possibly meet for discussing such matters.

With regards,

Nakamichi Minoru

Minister of Foreign Affairs

Confidential!

To: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the state of Dai-Tōhoku

From: The Department of Foreign Affairs of the Calgarian Federation

Mr. Nakamichi Minoru,

It was with great joy that I received your message earlier today. We've desired to establish diplomatic relations with other nations for quite some time. Now you have provided us with the perfect opportunity to do so. On the behalf of the President I invite you to come Edmonton to discuss matters which will interest us both. No doubt we will have much to discuss.

I look forward to your arrival.

With the warmest regards,

Carl Thompson

Secretary of Foreign Affairs

Preparations were made for the arrival of the Japanese representative. The city would be thoroughly cleaned to make an impression. The meeting would be held in the city hall.

Using a chartered flight from Dai-Tōhoku's largest civilian airline, Air Do, Nakamichi Minoru travelled to Edmonton. Notice would be given to the Calgarian Federation about the flight.

640px-Ado_305k.JPG

Due to the limited range of the plane, given the limited scope of operations, the flight would be first heading from Sendai to Sapporo, from Sapporo to Tianxian Alaska and from there to Edmonton. Nakamichi would later state in private that a new solution needed to be found.

Edited by Evangeline Anovilis

The peculiar nature of the Japanese delegations plane surprised the air traffic controllers of Edmonton's international airport. It quite clearly notified them that the Japanese had arrived. The foreign representatives would be driven from the airport to Edmonton's city hall.

City_Hall.jpg

Once they arrived at the magnificent meeting hall Carl Thompson, Secretary of Foreign Affairs, would heartily welcome Mr. Nakamichi with a handshake. " You're most welcome to the Calgarian Federation Mr. Nakamichi."

" I should hope so Mr.Nakamichi, we pride ourselves on this fine city. You can see why it was chosen over Calgary. It's remarkable architecture, sufficient infrastructure and geographical position are all very much so suitable to the needs of the Federal Government. Would you care to sit down?" asked Carl, gesturing to the seat across from his own at the polished wooden table.

A bottle of Hennessy was on the table with two brandy glasses. Carl filled one for himself and Mr.Nakamichi. " Cheers!" he said, taking a mouthful.

Nakamichi would gratefully nod and take a seat. "How are things going for the Calgarian Federation, if I may ask? One does sadly not hear too much from your state, but the conditions along the Pacific Rim are always of importance to us. I would hope that the lack of news means the lack of trouble and a stable country."

Nakamichi wuld take the glass, but not drink for now. He was not too heavy a drinker and would rather not show his drunk side during his work.

" In this situation the lack of news would translate into stability and peace. The economy is slowly developing thanks to our economic policy. Indigenous businesses are being established due to the relaxing of business regulations. Foreign investment is also on the rise, as shown in part by your presence here. Infrastructure within the Federation is being developed, while plans are being put in place to expand our agricultural sector. We also aim to fully utilize our oil and gas capabilities.

We also intend on building up our military. We just need the right equipment."

"Good to hear. Indeed, many of our businesses look to expand abroad, investing into stable countries where they can assume their investments to be secure. Nowadays, countries vanish far too often and the losses stemming from such events can be ruinous. Thus, while oil, gas and even certain agricultural commodities can be quite profitable, it would be quite a loss should your Federation be too short-lived to turn a profit. But I'd guess we can conclude this not being the case?

In regards to your military, I do think there could be people interested, however I wonder, what do you need and how much?"

" Well, Mr.Nakamichi, we intend for our military to be a highly mobile defensive force, adapted to the natural mountainous, rugged and forested terrain of both British Columbia and Alberta. We need enough equipment for over an army of 80,000 strong. If you could do this we would be most grateful. The price does not matter, as long as the equipment is good.

And yes we are to be here for quite sometime, forever if possible. So you have nothing to worry about. Anything you may invest in our state will be worthwhile. Right now our government policy towards multinational corporations is very beneficial. We have a low corporation tax and our government provides grants to help with construction costs for foreign businesses. We also have relaxed business regulations. One would be a fool not to avail of this opportunity.

Our agricultural sector will soon be booming. Once upon a time Canada was known for its vast prairies. Much food was produced from them and sold throughout the world. We also intend to replicate this. We have invested in grain and dairy farming so that we may become self sufficient in regards to food. Perhaps you may do the same? We have much untapped wood resources in the form of our northern boreal forests. However some of these forests are being used for ecotourism. Especially in British Columbia. The mountainous terrain has many natural views which are quite beautiful. We encourage tourists to come and visit. Who knows, maybe Japanese tourists may wish to visit?

And finally there are our oil and gas reserves. The Athabasca oil sands may spark your interest, I do presume?"

Nakamichi pondered for a while on his options, before replying. "Mr. Thompson, I shall trust your words. And I'm sure, with such stimuli, our investors will surely be paying a visit. our country always is looking for trade partners that can supply ressources reliably and affordable. I would think that maybe we could even set up a partially state-run project for the Athabasca sands. I would think, the pubplic-private partnership could be used to gather funds for construction of extraction facilities, pipelines to the coast and expansion of the harbour of Prince Rupert to handle oil exports to the Pacific ocean.

In regards to the military aspect, our country is rather reluctant to export arms, however, we would be willing to construct a facility in your country that shall help in the research and production of weaponry, in order to provide our expertise in the field of defending mountainous terrain. I would even think that maybe, this facility could be constructed during the expansion of Prince Rupert, to provide more stimulus for the town and harbour.

Also, in regards to expertise, I would like to offer a cooperation between our universities, given both of us seem to have an interest in development of the primary sector. Quite a few people in the North of the Japanese islands and also in Karafuto are earning their livelihoods as modern-day farmers, fishermen and as foresters. The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries just recently has created a new project for funding research in these areas. What do you think?"

" I commend you on your well thought out approach to these matters Mr.Nakamichi. I agree with the establishment of a partially state-run company over the Athabasca oil fields. In this way not only can Calgarian company's invest in the venture, but your own entrepreneurs as well. My government will fund the construction of the necessary facilities to extract and process the oil from the Athabasca oil fields. My government will also fund the construction of pipelines to the harbor of Prince Rupert, which will itself be expanded to accommodate its new function to the Federation. Or perhaps do Japanese companies want the contracts for such undertakings? Much wealth will be had from this.

As for the construction of a research facility in Prince Rupert at the same time, I agree. We can jointly research the creation of new weapons and vehicles to fulfill the role of a mobile defensive force in mountainous and rugged terrain. We can even expand it in future to research aircraft and other defensive weapons systems.

And but of course we should have student exchanges between our universities. Japanese students can come to our finest institutions of learning and co-operate with our experts on the primary sector, and ours will do the same with yours. In this way we can utilize the full potential of both our primary sectors and share information.

I would also like to invite you to establish an embassy in Edmonton. Consider us your friends on the North American sub-continent Mr.Nakamichi."

"I'm pretty sure that we can provide the funding for the expansion of Prince Rupert into a major hub for trade and some industry. Our country does have a certain expertise in maritime trade which surely could be helpful for this project.

In regards to a friendship, I would hope that our meeting here will bring our nations closer together, though we are reluctant to make any definite statements on this. But of course we shall accept your offer for an embassy and we invite you to likewise open an embassy in our country."

" We're also cautious in regards to defining our diplomatic relationship with your state, just as you are with ours, but no doubt time will change that. We accept your offer of establishing an embassy in your fine country. We also appreciate the funding, support and expertise which your country has offered to provide in developing the harbour of Prince Rupert. So thank you very much, Mr.Nakamichi.

If that is all there is to discuss I would like to bid you farewell, and safe travels. It was a pleasure hosting you, Mr.Nakamichi."

Nakamichi would offer his hand and bow, grateful for the hospitality. "Then I shall bid my farewell and I hope one day we may see again. I will inform the ministry of foreign affairs at home about starting the preparations for our future cooperation. Farewell, Mr.Thompson."