Meanwhile... that other meeting

Tanis777

Classified Diplomatic Cable

Defense Ministers of Faraway,  the American Commonwealth, and the Oregon Republic

Greetings!

The rapidly changing landscape of the North American landscape has pushed our respective nations to deal with an increasing number of reactionary actions on the continent that our nation simply cannot handled by any one of us for the time being.  Low level talks on increased cooperation between our respective forces have been privately underway well before the fall of Mexico that the current situation has simply  pressed the issue at hand.  I wish to invite you all to the Federation to continue these talks on a more personal level.

Regards,

George McDonald
Minister of Defense

Representing the Realm would be Adele Valmy, Minister of War. While the soldiers were putting her hopes into Valmy for getting more funding for the military, the leading forces in the Royal Chamber had labelled her just as much of a hawk as Lady Hanobel. And one couldn't deny that since the day she replaced Alexander Nelson, the ministry had pushed for increased funding to equip the troops. But all this would most likely never be known outside the borders of the Faraway Realm.

With Secretary McNutt in attendance at the conference in Mexico city, Kenneth Stevens, the Commonwealth ambassador to the Hudson Bay Federation, would represent the country.  Due to the nature of the meeting General Alexander Morgan, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, was dispatched to attend the meeting as well.

Everyone arrived in Winnipeg and were driven well north of the capital to a lakeside resort at Lake Winnipeg.  The security was disguised and very tight, the entire resort was booked by the government earlier to prevent more security concerns than there already were.

When everyone finished mingling together, they all gathered in the conference room to begin their discussions.

"Welcome everyone," started Minister McDonald.  "Hope your journeys here were pleasant.  Anyways, we do have much to discuss as were my instruction from Chancellor Welks on the matter of defensive inter-cooperation among the various establish American states in light of recent events playing out across the continent and trying to be resolved in Mexico City.  This meeting folks is part of the two-fold initiative in shaping the future of the North American continent." 

A special session of the Confederate Congress was called over the weekend to create the Department of Foreign Affairs. Congressman Collins of Houston was elected to be the first Secretary of State of the confederation. After he officially resigned his position as a legislator, Collins became the first person to receive a non-military appointment outside of the congress. After a long time of careful consideration and lengthy debate, Secretary of State Collins flew to Mexico City to meet with the other delegates and representatives of the new North American nations and the Hudson Bay Federation where he would come and take his place at the conference.

OOC: PD, I think you are in the wrong meeting here...

You are supposed to be here and argue for your goddamn independence. Not in this classified conference between Oregon, Hudson Bay, Faraway and Commonwealth.

Minister McDonald continued, "I only speak for the behalf of the Federation, so we would like to see your thoughts on the possibility of entertaining a series of agreements that pave the way for greater diplomatic understanding between the established powers of North America in a more proactive approach when situations that call for all of us.  Eventually, a defense bloc could be paved out of this, but this probably couldn't happen in the short term, unless something of significant magnitude drove each of our nations to that decision mutually.  So what are your thoughts?"

Valmy looked not all too enthusiastic, but still, she had to voice the opinion of her country. "Well, I guess if we achieve a memorandum of understanding here, then that would be already something. While we do understand the possible need for a more cooperative North America, the Realm has a policy of limiting its interests to simply our own country and our immediate surroundings. The intervention after the fall of Mexico is already a breach with our policy, necessitated by the possible consequences non-intervention would have had, which could have been quite disastrous. I am not going to lie, but as long as this meeting serves to further our country's interests, I shall attent. Any economic or political integration curbing our sovereign rights though, we cannot agree on and will keep out of."

Valmy wasn't one to beat around the bush much, but to everyone who had just a bit of understanding for politics, these words weren't news... Actually, why did she speak at all?

OOC: Since this meeting is happening prior to the reformation as Mareym, I'll refer to my nation as Cascadia.

"Cascadia would not be opposed to a defense block, either now or in the future. For now, I think a Continental committee or council, not unlike the United Nations, is in order. Hopefully we can join our brothers in South America in ensuring that the Western Hemisphere remains peaceful. Speaking of, I know our nation cannot help much in the way of the insurgencies in the Midwest, as we are dealing with our own insurgent crisis in the eastern parts of our nation, but we can help with aid packages, if need be."

Ambassador Stevens waited for the others to speak until it was his turn.  "The power vacuum left by Mexico's collapse necessitates a unified response to maintain order and stability for the continent.  Something we are seeing happen as we speak.  It is good to see our nations cooperating to deal with this serious issue.  The American Commonwealth would be open to further cooperation and the idea of establishing a more unified American community, ideally including South America.  But we understand that this is an issue that takes time and we have no desire to rush it along before we're ready for it".

"South America?" Valmy was a bit surprised. "God behold, we are getting entangled into those affairs. Just because some narrow strip of land connects us, I do not think that we have to set ourselves a goal connected with these people that are with little connection to us otherwise. We can call ourselves lucky if we can ensure a stable North America, but as long as I'm in charge of the Faraway Armed Forces, I see not why any of our ressources should go to these lands that currently hold little that is of real interest. Mexico would be the farthest I'd aim, for anything to its South, I'd rather not get chained to it."

To Valmy, South America was a land not only distinct in that it was mostly Spanish and Portuguese-speaking, while Faraway was anglo- and francophone, but also, it was a continent of regimes that were nothing like Faraway. In North America, this too was the case, but with territorial proximity, it at least held some importance, in contrast to a continent that Faraway could simply ignore and still live fine with that policy.

"Hmmm..." Valmy nodded, though she was still sceptical, hoping Faraway's current policy could somewhat survive this meeting intact.

Edit: Speech changed to italic for conformity with other posts of my latest RP formatting style.

Edited by Evangeline Anovilis

Minister McDonald raised his eyebrows a bit at the suggestion of cooperation with the South Americans, deciding to speak once again, "South America is a bit of a reach for the current time, even then, that would most likely be optional thing between us.  If we did come that point, we would have to have a long discussion on the ramifications of such an arrangement.  I would not disagree that would be an ideal arrangement, but it's a long shot right now with our situation in North America at this time."

McDonald turned to MInister Valmy, "I understand your reservations on these proposals, but I assure you that each country's sovereignty shall not be infringed upon, unless mutually agreed by the two parties.  The focus of our discussion is establishing a vision and path for a defensive bloc for the nations of North America, which I am sure the newer nations will be met with at a later time to establish their eventual entry via a vetting process."

"Folks, I have no authorization to put on paper to say anything more than basic economic and/or defensive cooperation measures for all of us.  I hope more suggestions are suggested for what you want for this document and policy that will bind us together somewhat."

• 2 weeks later...

"Well, I have authorisation strictly only for treaties addressing the security of our country. Economic clauses, I can sadly not enter, due to the Faraway economic policy and its restrictions on trade." Valmy explained. "Honestly, I think, if there is an approach to an organisation of sorts, our first and foremost priority should be that we uphold the internal sovereignity of our member states, the second priority, to create a procedure allowing issues to be resolved via means that are not destabilising the region and as third priority, that instability where it creeps up, be limited in its damaging properties, so our continent does not yet again gets engulfed into trouble."

Valmy leaned back in her chair. Thinking about it, the outcome of this conference was of little interest to her. Mostly, it was just limiting damage and the potential need to send troops into battle, altough she herself at times was not much above contemplating doing just that and to leave diplomacy to the gun barrel, rather than the olive branch.

• 2 weeks later...

"The organizational proposal sounds reasonable to address our needs to ensure the security of our nations.  The situation that has engulfed North America has opened all of our eyes to seek better cooperation on the mutual security front.  We may not always need the services of each other all the time, but when we do, we clearly need an avenue to pursue common interests, whether it be military or economic.  Small steps first obviously, so the arrangement among us is sound before we decide to invite others into the fold," replied Secretary McDonald.    

"As I see it, we need to focus on the increased defensive and limited offensive capabilities that our nation's can bring to the table.  We need to stay focused on addressing this concern and the optimal structure that would benefit all of us.  Everything else is beyond the scope of this meeting, especially relations with South America and trade," continued McDonald.  "Obviously, we'll be the founding member states and with the conclusion of the Mexico City conference, we're likely to see the new nations to look to join this mutual understanding between us.  The review of new nations will be later as we'll focus on the details of our American Defense Coalition Counsel (ADCC), unless we have a better name."

"My nation is committed to maintaining the sovereignty of each of your nations as long as your governments remain legitimate, up to the escalation of the use of force.  We must acknowledge that we maybe called into offensive operations that require our combined power as the situation over Mexico portrayed all too well.  Our appointees will discuss the options and reasons for offensive options, but we will seek to restrain from using force for diplomacy if possible.  We should agree on new statue of forces agreements between all of us and host nation law requirements for future joint cross-training and possibility of stationing of troops.  

We should also consider cooperation on mutual Laws of Armed Conflict and Rules of Engagement when mutual operations are in effect.  We should also consider future agreements on military hardware sales and transfer of military technology.  All these thing we must consider as the possibility to bind ourselves together for the mutual security of North America for the foreseeable future."  

"Our nations are the more active and influential nations on the North American continent.  As such, we have some responsibility to provide some semblance of leadership and unity to the other nations of North America.  That being said the American Commonwealth would be amenable to the establishment of a limited multinational defense organization as well as joint training programs and efforts to establish commonality between our nation's military's to simplify logistics and improve interoperability between our armed forces".

"On the other hand though, it shouldn't be our place to act as crusaders.  Such an organization should only be called upon when the very stability of our continent is being effected.  Diplomacy should always take precedence over military action".