DEFCON Strength / Efficiency Question

Syzygy

I have just checked the information index, and it says:

* DEFCON 5 - Normal peacetime military readiness. (+2 happiness, +20% initial soldier cost, 76% battle strength)

* DEFCON 4 - Normal military readiness, increased intelligence and strengthened security measures. (+1 happiness, +10% initial soldier cost, 81% battle strength)

* DEFCON 3 - Increased military readiness above normal readiness. (+0 happiness, +0% initial soldier cost, 86% battle strength)

* DEFCON 2 - Increased military readiness, but less than maximum readiness. (-1 happiness, -10% initial soldier cost, 93% battle strength)

* DEFCON 1 - Maximum military readiness. (-2 happiness, -20% initial soldier cost, 100% battle strength)

+

Beside your solider counts in-game you will notice a number in parenthesis such as Soldiers: 100 (135). The number in parenthesis beside your actual solider count is your soldier efficiency level. The soldier efficiency level indicates how well your soldiers control your population happiness and perform in battle. In the example provided here the (135) indicates that your 100 soldiers make an effective fighting force of 135 soldiers. Soldier efficiency levels are affected by certain trade agreements such as Aluminum and Pigs, improvements such as Guerrilla Camps and Barracks, certain events, and certain government types. When fighting ground battles against other nations battle odds are based off each nation's soldier efficiency level however casualties are based off REAL soldier numbers.

to me, this looks like exactly the same modification, so wouldnt it be easier for understanding (KISS) if DEFCON setting would just affect the Soldier Efficiency Level and also show this in the number in brackets at your nation view? I think it already works this way when calculating your battle-odds or performance, but two different "term" (battle strength & soldier efficiency) have been used and the DEFCON modification is not shown at the efficiency rating, which may lead to misunderstandings.

Also, shouldnt the NS-value of soldiers be based on your current soldier effiency level and not on your soldier numbers? De-facto is a nation with 10,000 soldiers but 50,000 efficiency a LOT stronger then one with 12,000 soldiers but only 15,000 efficiency.

Thanks.

Edited by (DAC)Syzygy

Defcom affects the TOTAL battle strength.So by default, at defcon 1 you get the biggest odds possible that take into consideration tanks, tech, etc. Defcon 3 for example lowers that strength to 86%, thus your odds becoming smaller based on opponent's attacking strength as well.

I agree with the NS from efficiency thing, though the whole NS from military should be slightly lowered since it has a too large effect on NS atm (imo at least) and therefore an effect on the first 5% nations in the game - nuke capability. Plus that with the current NS from military, 1 point of infra with clinics/hospital AND all pop increasing resources means about as much as a point of tech

ah i think i get what you mean.

DEFCON lowers the impact of tank, infra, tech, land, soldiers. while efficiency only affect soldier performance. thanks.

so basically you have to apply the DEFCON modificators AFTER everything else has taken into consideration, thats all I wanted to know :)