Meeting on the Bira to discuss the Amur

With the meeting arranged, all that was left was to wait for the Cyrantian delegation to arrive at Marscury International Airport. A spot at one of the terminals was cleared for the diplomatic team, and a town car was set to take them to the meeting place.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Des_Moines_City_Hall.jpg[/img]

Overlooking the Bira River in the center of the city, the large and decorated building was originally designated as the headquarters and meeting hall of the L5, the economic bloc of landlocked nations. Since the disestablishment of many of the signatories, the building had fallen into disuse. A full scale cleaning had gone on, and everything was ready for the new meeting to be held there. Who knew, one day it might become the Cyrantian embassy.

OOC: If you want, you can just RP walking in the doors.

Grand Chancellor of the State Sergei Aleksandrov had informed the Cabinet of his intention to travel to Marscury to discuss with the Marscurian government weeks earlier. As was the case with the previous Siberian Summit, High Chancellor of Foreign Affairs Dmitry Garin elected to travel with him. The arrangements were made to have a government transport plane take the two men and a small guard of six to Marscury. The flight was short, as the trip from Xavier to the Cyrantian-Marscurian border and ultimately to their capital was not a great distance to a modern aircraft.

Upon landing, the Marscurian towncar was boarded by the Chancellors. In good faith, the guard would not accompany the two to the meeting place. As they rode through, they took note of the sights, but were still astonished pulling up to the huge building hosting the discussions. They walked up the stairs to the front sets of doors, and as they were about to enter the building, High Chancellor Garin whispered, "[i]we [b]have[/b] to get something like this in Cyrantia.[/i]"

They were guided by aides to the conference room where their hosts were waiting. They entered and new parties were introduced. High Chancellor Garin sat down, but the Grand Chancellor remained standing for a moment more to speak briefly. "[i]Gentlemen, it's a pleasure to be here. I'm very pleased to meet you all and to see Prince Vladimir once more, and I wish these talks the very best of outcomes.[/i]" He sat then, and the two waited for their hosts to address them.

"Gentlemen," Vladimir said, "welcome to Marscury. We hope your flight was enjoyable. Before lunch, I believe that we should lay our priorities on the table, just so we know what we're all here to talk about. As it was at the previous summit, the Marscurian goals for this meeting are economic in nature. Militaries make enemies, trade makes friends, as you know. Our main goal is the resigning of the AGV Treaty that we have held with Japan, Vaule, and Buryatia when they held your current territory. The general gist of the treaty being that Marscurian ships have free usage of the Amur River between the Marscurian port of Telmana and the sea, and that the Marscurian Siberian government administers and controls the city of [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolaevsk-on-Amur"]Glubokiye Vodishtot[/url], with the land remaining Cyrantian territory, subject to Cyrantian taxes.

Now, in a discussion, there are always two parties talking. What are some points that your nation would like to discuss?"

The Grand Chancellor considered the statement carefully for a moment, and leaned in for a quick deliberation with High Chancellor Garin. After a moment, the two seemed to agree and Aleksandrov spoke.

"[i]We find your wishes agreeable and would certainly allow your ships through freely, provided they are all overseen. We wouldn't want any illegal immigrants coming through on ships because they are free to go over the Amur. Also, if we signed a treaty, we'd like notification if any military vessels are crossing the river. We do not mistrust you, but foreign military ships in or near our land would scare the population less if we could announce and explain the situation to them. We also must ask why you would like administrative control of the city? We'd be more than happy to oblige with due reason, but we cannot understand your motives for it. Are you not satisfied that your ships would be safe and unmolested in the waters of the Amur?

As for our wishes, we have a project currently being executed. Our city of Port Lombard is located in the harbor most inland from the sea in Cyrantia. It is northwest of Glubokiye Vodishtot, and we would like to see traffic through the region to increase its use as a port of call and a trade center. We'd like to increase trade between our two nations - perhaps our ships could come from Port Lombard to Glubokiye Vodishtot and your ships could go the opposite way? The cities are reasonably close, the ships would not need to sail far.[/i]"

"Those are all valid points you bring up," Vladimir said, "and I will attempt to go through them as best I can. First of all, the Marscurian Siberian Navy is broken into two fleets, the first and second. The First Fleet is river ships, designed with the purpose of defending the homeland, and cannot leave the Amur River due to their limited range. The second fleet is the ocean-going ships. This fleet has been based at Glubokiye Vodishtot, and the ships are shallow enough to enter the Amur River, but will not. The third institution we have is the Amur River Police, a branch of our National Police Service. They mainly work off of fast patrol boats that carry little or no weaponry besides the small arms of the officers. The naval fleets mostly stay in port, and we can make it a note to notify your government when we are planning to leave for whatever reason. The Amur River Police is used to already deter smugglers and illegal immigrants, so we are far ahead of you on that front.

Now, our main reason for wanting control of Glubokiye Vodishtot is because we built it. The city is completely populated by Marscurian Siberian citizens, but those numbers are quite small. Glubokiye Vodishtot is mainly important because of the port that is attached to it. We administer the port so that Marscurian Siberian companies will not have to pay high charges for using other nearby ports such as Vladivostok and Tianjin, and so that the deep water ships of the Marscurian Siberian Navy have a place to dock. It has nothing to do with an issue of trust, as we are sure that you have only friendly intentions towards us.

As for your proposal, we are not sure how much trade can actually be conducted between the two ports. Glubokiye Vodishtot is a small center, disconnected and hundreds of miles away from the Marscurian Siberian mainland. I believe that with our large land border, most trade conducted between our nations will occur by train or truck, rather than ship. However, one of our companies, Teich Shipping, operates a large fleet of commercial ships and barges that travel the Amur River out of our port at Telmana. If you would like to get in touch with them, you can surely find far more opportunities than you would at Glubokiye Vodishtot."

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1311538018' post='2762903']
OOC: Wait don't I own the Eastern side of the River from Mascurian to the sea?
[/quote]
OOC: Indeed you do, but all my stuff is located on the Western Side. :blink:

[i]We would be prepared to sign such a treaty, as your requests are modest and agreeable. Cyrantia would be pleased to be tied to our southern neighbors economically. We must ask, however; as a vassal state of the United Federation of the East, are you allowed to hold your diplomatic ties independently? We do not hold prejudice against the UFE, but we do not want to be tied to a higher power because of such a protectorate.[/i]

"[i]The Chancellery of Cyrantia asks only for two things. The first is a mutual state of friendship and support to be recognized between our two nations. We'd also like to see an agreement between our two nations of reduced or eliminated tariffs for trade and commerce between us. This will help both of us get contracts from the other, and hopefully encourage increased economic activity.

If that is added to the treaty, we shall be satisfied with the document and agreements wholly.[/i]"

"It shall be done."

[quote]
[u][center][size="6"]Marscurian Siberian-Cyantian Friendship Treaty[/size][/center][/u]

[u]Article One: Recognition[/u]
Both the Khaganate of Marscurian Siberia and the Chancellery of Cyrantia recognize each other as independent and sovereign nations. Each party will refrain from interfering in the other party's political, cultural, and economic independence.

[u]Article Two: Amur-Glubokiye Vodishtot Agreement[/u]
Being a landlocked nation, the Amur River is a vital link in maritime trade in Marscurian Siberia. As such, Cyrantia will respect the ability of Marscurian Siberian ships to traverse the Amur River from its borders to the Amur Estuary and the Straits of Tartary. Cyrantia will also respect the traverse of vessels from the Marscurian Siberian First Fleeet and the Amur River Police to traverse the entirety of the Amur River to the Amur Estuary and the Straits of Tartary, provided that prior warning of the vessel's passage be provided.

Being a landlocked nation, the port city of Glubokiye Vodishtot is vital in the possession of ocean going ships for the Marscurian Siberian navy. Built by Marscurian Siberia, the city will continue to be completely administered by the Marscurian Siberian government. The land of Glubokiye Vodishtot remains Cyrantian territory, and all commercial operations of the city are subject to Cyrantian taxation.

[u]Article Three: Reduction of Tariffs[/u]
With strong economic ties being vital to healthy relations between states, both Marscurian Siberia and Cyrantia agree to lower tariffs on each other's imports by an amount of at least 50%.

[u]Article Four: Cancellation[/u]
Should either party find that this agreement is no longer in the best interests of national peace and prosperity, a prior notification of at least 168 hours must be given before the treaty is considered officially null and void.[/quote]

"Does this seem fair to you?"

The Grand Chancellor of the State took the document in his hands carefully, reading it along with the High Chancellor of Foreign Affairs. They looked at each other and nodded, and both seemed to be satisfied with the agreement. They drew two black pens from their shirt pockets and proceeded to sign for the nation.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Signed for the Chancellery of Cyrantia

Sergei Aleksandrov
Grand Chancellor of the State

Dmitry Garin
High Chancellor of Foreign Affairs

-------------------------------------------------------------

The Grand Chancellor handed the document back and waited for the Marscurians to do the same.

Edited by Domingo the Honored

[quote]
[u][center][size="6"]Marscurian Siberian-Cyantian Friendship Treaty[/size][/center][/u]

[u]Article One: Recognition[/u]
Both the Khaganate of Marscurian Siberia and the Chancellery of Cyrantia recognize each other as independent and sovereign nations. Each party will refrain from interfering in the other party's political, cultural, and economic independence.

[u]Article Two: Amur-Glubokiye Vodishtot Agreement[/u]
Being a landlocked nation, the Amur River is a vital link in maritime trade in Marscurian Siberia. As such, Cyrantia will respect the ability of Marscurian Siberian ships to traverse the Amur River from its borders to the Amur Estuary and the Straits of Tartary. Cyrantia will also respect the traverse of vessels from the Marscurian Siberian First Fleeet and the Amur River Police to traverse the entirety of the Amur River to the Amur Estuary and the Straits of Tartary, provided that prior warning of the vessel's passage be provided.

Being a landlocked nation, the port city of Glubokiye Vodishtot is vital in the possession of ocean going ships for the Marscurian Siberian navy. Built by Marscurian Siberia, the city will continue to be completely administered by the Marscurian Siberian government. The land of Glubokiye Vodishtot remains Cyrantian territory, and all commercial operations of the city are subject to Cyrantian taxation.

[u]Article Three: Reduction of Tariffs[/u]
With strong economic ties being vital to healthy relations between states, both Marscurian Siberia and Cyrantia agree to lower tariffs on each other's imports by an amount of at least 50%.

[u]Article Four: Cancellation[/u]
Should either party find that this agreement is no longer in the best interests of national peace and prosperity, a prior notification of at least 168 hours must be given before the treaty is considered officially null and void.

[u]Signed for the Chancellery of Cyrantia[/u]
Sergei Aleksandrov, [i]Grand Chancellor of the State[/i]

Dmitry Garin, [i]High Chancellor of Foreign Affairs[/i]

[u]Signed for the Khaganate of Marscurian Siberia[/u]
Vladimir Stein, [i]Head of Diplomacy[/i]

With the Approval and Authority of:
Mikhail Stein, [i]Khagan of Marscurian Siberia, Protector of the Amur, Defender of the Faith[/i]

and

The Duma of Marscurian Siberia[/quote]

The two Chancellors looked at the document with a new found respect. The document signified what the Cyrantian people had hoped to accomplish for months. It was an important step taken in the Chancellery of Cyrantia's progression. The Grand Chancellor spoke.

[i]We plan to have an international press release concerning newly signed treaties among a few other... events. If your Khagan does not mind, may we include our new agreement in our presentation? We'd be happy to let you announce it internationally if you'd like to, of course.[/i]