Armourd Bears on Svalbard?

Zoot Zoot

[quote][b]Private Message[/b]

To - Herr Martens of the Germanic Union
From - King Alfred I of the Commonwealth of England and Wales

Herr Martens, it gives me great pleasure to write to you today in regards to our... private correspondance between ourselves, you and Austria. We would be happy to take over managment of Svalbard. I have a few questions first if you dont mind.
First, is their a civilian population? If so what are their demographics, preferred language et cetera. Secondly, what is the codnition of civilian and military infrastructure on the Islands?

Finally, if you would like to take this to a video conference I am available.[/quote]

A while later, Martens shows up on the screen, the videoconference begins.

"I understand that as of lately England is suffering from a form of overpopulation, especially considering that a relevant part of it remains uninhabitable. On the other hand, Svalbard is underpopulated. There are about 8000 Germanic Union Citizens there, they use different languages - German, Dutch and Scandinavian - so they use Nordlandic as a lingua franca to deal with each other and anything public although in their homes they still speak their own thing. There are several research laboratories and an offshore platform is being constructed as well. There is also a basic airport by a military base...not much, we have only begun to develop the region. Unlike the Franz Josef Islands, it is not just a bunch of ice and stone in the forgotten north, there are actually some assets, but, not enough to, let's say, qualify as to become a country in itself. We would find it suitable for England to manage Svalbard so long as a double-language system (English-Nordlandic) is established, otherwise the local population would feel invaded or sold away...that is all, really. Some of these people know basic English anyway, ever since England has become our ally the previously obscure language has returned to schools and institutes to be studied."

Ah Herr Martens a pleasure to speak again as always. Well I know for certain Svalbard would be a most promising addition to Englands territories especially in terms of building a successful multicultural society. There will only be select numbers moving to Svalbard initially so the Islanders don't suddenly feel like the minority. The initial English that move will have to pass advanced linguistics lessons aswell as take a crash course on Nordic customs to avoid offending the Islanders.

I will also ensure Anglo-Nordlandic becomes the main communication in the workplace and professional outlets for convenience.

The research labs and the platform can remain operational as German facilities if you so chose, as for the other infrastructure, we will be pouring billions of pounds into the local economy."

"We will keep the Platform, the rest will be yours. Oh, this is a good chance to mention, you should definately send a hundred or so English Teachers to Germanic Union. Our people can for the most part readily communicate with our allies as is, excepting for the English, we ought to start changing that. We'll send some teachers ourselves. Hmm. We will move out some of our military computers and other classified things out of Svalbard, so in 48 hours it will be ready to be a part of England."

Well standard German is already a mandatory subject up to the age of 14 in schools, as is French, however it would be of great use for colleges and universities to have German lecturers. We shall rally a hundred or so university/college level English teachers ourselves and send them over.