Maglev Subway

iKrolm

[quote]
To Whom it May Concern,

Recently we made contact concerning the construction of a system of high-spped Maglev Subways throughout Minila similar to those just completed in New Wellington. Our urban planners have designed a system and we hope you can send representation to look over the plans and come to sign an contract for it's construction.

Thank you,
The Civil Planning Board of Manila
[/quote]

Lawrence reclined in the conforming leather of his office chair staring up at the ceiling of his thoroughly modern office. Memo in hand he set the page down on the surface of his glass desk and pondered to himself. The vast construction conglomerate, Remier Industries, had just completed its largest contract in its history, the 1.5 Trillion Credit contract for the construction of Wellington. It had flushed the company with fresh capital, and he himself would soon be receiving an unprecedented bonus for the work. Finally deciding on the matter he resumed his attention to the memo and prepared a response.

[quote]
Esteemed Leaders,

We thank you for your great offer, and would be more than interested in considering such a contact. A project team and myself will meet with your planning board within the week. I look forward to working with you.

Sincerely,

Lawrence Whalen
Chief Executive Officer of Remier Industries[/quote]

OOC: In a few hours - or whenever lets fast forward to the meeting. :)

Edited by iamthey

OOC: skipping to the meeting

"I'd like to welcome you all here today and it's my pleasure to have you here. I'm Ricardo Diaz, the Mayor of Manila for our guests. Don't worry, I won't be hanging around when the discussion gets technical but I couldn't not show up for a meeting to decide the fate of this much money," began Mayor Diaz. "The plan has my full approval of course, but I'm a busy man and Gregorio Cortes here," Diaz continued, gesturing to the man on his right, "is the real brains behind the plans. And so, I take my leave and wish you gentlemen luck," Diaz finished and left as Gregorio Cortes rose.

Gregorio Cortes began. "The Mayor is the kind of man who likes to be seen everywhere starting off everything, guess it helps him in the elections. But to the point: after careful study we've planned out the routes for a MagLev Subway system which, given your recent success, we hope to contract out the construction of. If you'll direct your attention to the screen behind me or the pages in front of you, you'll see a map of the existing train/subway/raised rail system that serves Manila."

[IMG]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/iKrolm/Manila_Current_Trains.png[/IMG]

"The current system is wholly inadequate for our city, providing to little coverage, not enough trains and to great of transit time. The conclusion of my committee of urban planners and engineers is that the old system must be torn down and replaced. Toward this goal, we've put together the following map of the new system, to be entirely underground and consist solely of identical, and therefore interchangeable, MavLev trains:"

[IMG]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/iKrolm/Manila_New_Subways.png[/IMG]

"The new system will consist of 6 color-coded lines, provide coverage for most of the Manila and completely replace the current system. Trains will run both ways on every line and ideally, we'd like train service every 5 minutes or less on the central tracks and 10 minutes on the outer tracks during the day, 10 and 15 minutes respectively during the night. From a construction standpoint, however, here's more details on the individual lines:

Green Line
Length: 57km
Number of Stops: 110
Stops shared with other rail lines: 8 (2 yellow, 2 purple, 2 white, 1 red, 1 blue)

Yellow Line
Length: 43km
Number of Stops: 58
Stops shared with other rail lines: 7 (2 purple, 2 green, 1 red, 1 blue, 1 white)

Purple Line
Length: 23km
Number of Stops: 48
Stops shared with other rail lines: 7 (2 white, 2 green, 2 yellow, 1 blue)

Red Line
Length: 27km
Number of Stops: 41
Stops shared with other rail lines: 4 (1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 red, 1 white)

Blue Line
Length: 23km
Number of Stops: 36
Stops shared with other rail lines: 5 (1 yellow, 1 red, 1 purple, 1 white, 1 green)

White Line
Length: 73km
Number of Stops: 134
Stops shared with other rail lines: 7 (2 purple, 2 green, 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 red)

[b]System Total[/b]
Length: 246km
Number of Stops: 408

"And there you have it. Of course, it's still a draft pending your approval, price estimate and price-reduction modifications. So, any comments or questions?"

Edited by iKrolm

Halting for a moment Lawrence produced from his pocket a pair of circular lensed glasses, putting them on the shrewed businessman took a moment to look over the plans. Calculations flowing through his head he at last returned his gaze to Cortes. "This can be done. I estimate in six months to a year, eighteen months at the most. As for price, being subterranean, and this extensive - around 4-5 Billion." Removing the glasses he allowed them to rest on the table before him. "If these approximations are acceptable to you, our accountants and lawyers can get together to draw up the formal contract." OOC: Not sure what your currency is called. Cost reference: Shanghai maglev cost about 1-2 billion USD, and it wasn't underground.

Edited by iamthey

OOC: Yah, that's probably too low, feel free to edit it. In any case,

IC:

"I believe your price will be acceptable. Obviously, we would prefer where ever possible work be done by Selenarctans with local materials and we will be offering subsidized prices, but the final decisions is up to you of course. Is there anything else you would like to bring up? If not, it'll be a pleasure working with your associates as construction begins and a the official contract should be finalized and ready for you to sign with in the week."

OOC: I'm not going to write it, just assume it gets signed.

Nodding Whalen concluded, "Certainly we will utilize local labor- and make every effort to use local materials. That being said, I don't believe there is anything else, our people will be in touch." Offering his hand, the two shook and Lawrence and his team left the room.

Edited by iamthey

A team of surveyors arrived in the nation and began planning the build, sources for build materials had already been found, and local labor, and technical support had been put together. Once the team finished the planning of the construction things could get started.

OOC: Sorry, the war made me forget about this. :/

• 3 weeks later...

Planning and surveying completed, the project could move forward into the actual construction phase. Hundreds of work teams, and supplier liaisons descended on the capital city to begin a sectioned construction of the new line. Projections estimated completion within one to two years.

• 3 weeks later...

Work on the structure has been completed. Engineering teams are presently doing final tests, and safety checks. The system should open within a few months.

[quote name='Sarah Tintagyl' date='25 March 2010 - 03:25 PM' timestamp='1269555916' post='2236652']
OOC: C'mon guys I want to see the trials and labors of the working class :P
[/quote]
OOC: If you insist :P
IC:

Shift Captain Marino Paez worked the graveyard on Blue Line for the last month, Purple Line before that. He was responsible for 104 men and women under him for eight hours, from midnight until the first shift took over at 8AM. With the deadline for construction just three weeks away, his team and the other shifts were working at breakneck speed finalizing 1,000 meters of tunnel per day, 6 days per week until they were done and forget bonuses for finishing early: if they didn't maintain the kilometer-per-day rate then someone with two PhDs sitting in a nice, airconditioned office somewhere started taking it out of their salaries.

Working underground, you'd think the graveyard shift wouldn't be so bad: it's always artificial light anyway, but it gets to you just the same. It's dark when you wake up to head to the tunnel and it's light when you return home to sleep, which by itself takes getting used to, but throw in the all-fluorescent lighting of the tunnels and it does things to you. The psychologists say it's all in your head, which is probably true, but try saying that after running an angle grinder for four hours straight. Just the other day Corrales left the tunnels, got in his truck and just sat there staring straight ahead for half an hour before Mercado found him. Mercado banged on the door until Corrales opened it and assured Mercado he'd have section 2955 finished by shift's end, then jumped and looked around his truck blinking in surprise. We'd finished the 2000s a week ago...

At least the air's good, last job site was a safe deposit box complex for a bank 3 floors underground. Eight hours at a time 3 floors underground running heavy equipment with near-zero ventilation and curing concrete on top of the humid Manila air with no airconditioning and it was a miracle no one passed out. Well, no one admitted to passing out... The climate in the tunnels was delectable in comparison: a shaft ran up to the surface every ten meters, throw a fan in every other one to blow the night air down and if the humidity wasn't too high earlier in the day the tunnel might even feel cool.

Still didn't help much when the generators were running, but the job's almost done now: just finish Blue Line, 10 kilometers on White Line and then a month-long vacation in Acca Daccan Taiwan. The latter assumed he finished without too much more docked from his salary for slow downs... He'd miss the opening ceremonies for the the new subways but he deserved the vacation. Hell, he'd worked for it.

• 1 month later...