Imperial Meetings

Triyun

Yuan Shizi would finally get to see the delegation from Japan.  The Emperor had grown into a much harsher figure in his captivity, a long scare across his face, with several days worth of stubble.  He wore crimson robes, with a wolf symbol on his chest, and his ninjato at his side.  Timu his grey wolf slept at his feet as he sat on his throne waiting for the Japanese delegation to arrive in Nanjing.  

Having been mentored and trained by Ryu Hayabusa, the Emperor had a fondness for the Japanese, at the same time he was aware of the geopolitical realities, and should he remain Emperor of Japan, his position would be much different than his fathers.  Caution as in order as the delegation started to enter...

While Prime Minister Akiyama already tried to make contact with the Tianxian regency government earlier, such visits during the civil war had been fruitless. But now, with the reappearance of the Emperor of Tianxia, it seemed a meeting could finally take place. Thus Akiyama Kagami travelled to Nanjing, in order to discuss relations between a Tianxia that came out of a civil war and restored Japan. However, unlike past prime ministers, Akiyama had a far more difficult task ahead, as public opinion within Japan was split on the matter of monarchy and more specifically the new Emperor of Tianxia.

The visit to Nanjing thus was not a simple deal. Akiyama appeared at the court with merely one attentant, Tsukino Aoko, one of her most trusted friends and allies, as well as assistant and guard on the journey. Dressed formally, though not too overbearing, the two would approach the Emperor, once Tsukino handed over the firearm she carried to protect the prime minister to one of the guards, given it most obviously was not appropriate to carry with her on the occasion. After a polite bow to show respect to a monarch, Akiyama would start. "We greet the Emperor of great Tianxia, Shizi of Yuan-Habsburg. As Prime Minister of the Japanese people, I express our respect for your person and your people. I feel honoured to have been given an audience, your Highness."

"Rise." the Emperor said standing up from his throne.  And walking down to place his hand on the shoulder of and firmly shake the Japanese Prime Minister's hand.  "This is one of friendship.  I am glad that you could come.  Know that Order is now returning to East Asia.  What may we do for the Peoples of the Japans today?"

As the Emperor stepped down to the Japanese delegation and offered a handshake, Akiyama politely returned the handshake. "Thank you, your Highness. The notion of seeing the clouds recede after this problematic time is sure to be welcomed by our people. We hope that it will last long and bless the East Asian region for quite some time to come. In this hope, I also come to establish good diplomatic relations between our countries, as we do not wish for conflict with our long-standing friends."

Akiyama politely nodded, before answering. "Your Highness' return seemed to mark Tianxia's return as a proper actor in the region, and it seemed we were right. We have come in the hope of cooperative relations between our countries. It would be foolish of us to not acknowledge the influence of Tianxia, especially in its neighbourhood, and I would thus hope that a cooperative dialogue can be established to keep peace in the region and that economic ties can remain unharassed, so as to cement our relationship. Though, if you would not mind, may I ask, what is your Highness' view on affairs? Your father was a great man, who provided a model for many of us. But what does your Highness want to achieve politically?"

Shizi looked on nodding, and smiled, "I wish to achieve Harmony and restore the Way.  This world has grown to chaos.  It is my fervent desire to see order restored and to see the world return to a realm of peace and freedom for all.  For this to be done, the nations of the world must return to a global harmonious society.  I will build that society.  Our experiences have shown us the world is worse off without a strong voice in these matters.  It is my hope that Japan will stay in the fraternity of nations which will see these goals enacted.  I have always seen Japan as one of the most favorably disposed to this way of the world."

"Japan has for a long time now been a nation that has enjoyed freedom, democracy and which has subscribed to free trade as a basis of cooperation and peace.", Akiyama stated with a bit of pride. "We have no intention to contest the freedom of others, as long as they are no risk to ours." After a short moment, she looked at Shizi a bit more critical. "Please do not get us wrong though. Japan is not a country that advocates the primacy of a strong voice over all others and the existence of hegemonial order. What I do agree to, for it is in our national interest, is the existence and maintainance of international law and order, for the sake of allowing peace and prosperity to settle in without constant threats to those who do not cause harm to others. If hegemonial order achieves such, then it is a good order that can enjoy our support. If not... then not. Hegemony must be founded on strong values, to build legitimacy and be supported by those who live under it. To us, hegemony is a means to an end, not an end in and of itself." The prime minister then changed again to a polite smile. "That is not that I would want to imply your Highness be a ruthless tyrant, for Tianxia, among the hegemons this world has seen, was among the better ones. However, wherever power is concentrated, one can never caution enough to keep in mind that there are responsibilities attached to it. And as long as your the hegemon fulfills their responsibility of providing public services of security and stability, there is no reason for us to not be cooperative and supportive of such rule of law."

• 2 weeks later...

"Rest assured the restoration of the World Order lead by our glorious Empire will not be one of senseless violence and destruction.  It is merely an acknowledgement that the World needs a Tianxia or else there is chaos.  It is our willingness to draw our sword that keeps other swords in their sheath.  This will be our policy.  But through that policy we will not use it to impose our will on others unless they choose to try to impose it on the weak."

"Well, as stated, as long as order serves the interest of our nation in international law and stability and leads to an increase in global security, we are not inclined to object to order and will be assuming a more cooperative stance to uphold it.", Akiyama stated calmly.

"If your Highness was to follow through with such policy, that would indeed be very reassuring, especially as the momentary lapse in global order has brought nothing well. The United Nations have become dysfunctional to the point they are a mere joke, nuclear proliferation has not occurred, however it is our opinion that at this time, the threat eminating from nuclear weaponry is far too great to ignore still and further initiatives to nuclear disarmament should be started. Tianxia has been instrumental in spearheading the last first round, however, there are still nuclear weapons in existence and while Japan is fundamentally against the production, posession and usage of these weapons, the fact that three nations in the Pacific Rim posess such weaponry, while Japan has no such deterrence of its own is very troublesome. And while in the past order ensured that nuclear attacks would be sanctioned, the means of sanctioning, such as the UN, have lost credibility and the diplomatic constellations in the Pacific do little to reassure us that a nuclear attack on our country would have any consequences whatsoever. I do hope your Highness see the predicament I am pointing towards. Now, we are not willing to undermine the non-proliferation regime, which we see as a guarantee of our own security. It is however a sad fact that should the non-prroliferation regime or the diplomatic situation deteriorate further, to the point where it would be foolish to assume that our country not be a potential target for nuclear attack, we will have to take matters in our own hands. Japan after all is capable to do so within a short timeframe. This scenario, however, we would like to avoid at all cost, which is, why we deem proper order very critical."

"In general, it should be noted, your Highness, that the Japanese people are very delighted to see Tianxia return, if such return means proper order and restoration of stability in the Pacific. your Highness surely is aware of the historical relations between the nations of the Pacific Rim, which have been more competitive than cooperative, though there has not been a major escalation between the larger states of the Rim. It is our opinion that Tianxia did in the past serve a great role as a 'honest broker' and as a balancing power between Pacific states, which has, through its influence made sure that nations could feel secure without resorting to escalatory measures. I would however like to point out, that this security has sharply decreased since the reduction of your Empire's sphere, and subsequent encroachment by other states. Most notably, I am quite worried about the Commonwealth presence in Alaska, which for decades has been an Imperial territory and the transfer is, in our opinion, a net loss of security for Japan, as a foreign power comes closer to our shores. We do acknowledge, your Highness have good relations with the commonwealth, but Japan has not and many of our people at home are wondering whether the Pax Sinica can be trusted upon for the future, or whether such territorial encroachments will become more commonplace. If the territory would be anything more important, such as Hawaii or Outer Manchuria, I hope I do not need to state what detrimental effect such would have on the balance of power and the security of our nation."

"Thus, a return of a more assertive policy by your Highness is nothing we are opposed to, quite the contrary. The return of the Pax Sinica is rather welcome, as long as it takes into account the national security interest of our nation that is founded upon international law and order, as well as the balance of power in the region among the secondary powers."