France in Mexico. Again. In a nice way this time.

Shave N Haircut

To the Monarchs of Tikal,

The relationship that France and Tikal have shared in the past has been a rather rocky one at times and peripheral at others, but rarely have our two nations met under friendly circumstances. It is my wish that, in these dangerous times, we might create a closer bond between our two nations in order to gain mutual strength in the face of those who might antagonize us, and it is for that reason that we wish to send a party led by the Foreign Minister himself to speak of strengthened ties.

~Signed

Empress Jeanne de LaQueu

[Private Reply]

"Empress de LaQueu,

their highnesses have received your request for a meeting, They have decided that discussions would be prudent at the time, and so will receive your foreign minister in Dusk and Dawn, our capital.

Her Highness will receive your envoy and his entourage.

With great respect,"

By the authority vested in me by Their Eternal Highnesses

Director of Diplomacy,

Clemente Marroquín Rojas

Principality of Tikal

Francoise Ouibliant stepped off the plane into Dusk and Dawn and took a huge breath of the air. It was good to be out in the field again after so long cooped up in his office, even if Tikal was a strange place.

He would be lying if he said he didn't get a little teary eyed at the thought of being able to do his favorite work again. No matter how much he would have to beg to get what he needed out of this.

As it was, he awaited the Princess to arrive with great excitement.

Landing at the international airport of Dawn and Dusk was but the first step of the journey, Ouibliant would find. Instead of by the Princess, a dignitary of hers received him, a woman sporting numerous heavy-duty augmentations, yet well-dressed, wearing the emblem of the intertwined Sun and moon on both shoulders, signifying the important of her Duties. She was accompanied by some honour guards of the Ba'ate'xib. 

th_0hDOmOQ.jpg

She bowed deeply. "Welcome to the Principality of Tikal, Minister Ouibliant. It is an honour to receive you here. I am T'aan Xochitl Necalli, Messenger of Sun and Moon. I hope very much that your flight was pleasant. For the duration of your visit, I and these Ba'ate'xib shall accompany you during the short journey to the meeting. Please, follow me."

She had returned to an upright position by then, making a sweeping hand gesture to behind her where a VTOL craft was already waiting, a T-23 Awat.

"If you have any questions during the short journey, please do not hesitate to ask. I have been instructed to answer any and all questions to the best of my ability, Minister."

After the group had entered the craft, it would swiftly take off and travel to the location of the meeting, some beautiful islands just off the coast, perhaps 30 kilometres south of the capital itself. Considering the short distance, the craft would barely even be able to reach its full cruise speed before having to slow again for a landing, taking under three minutes.

th_a7QMwcz.jpg

These buildings were both a holiday resort for more successful citizens, and now a meeting location between the Princess and the French Foreign Minister. The craft touched down on the roof of one of the skyscrapers, and Ouibliant would be led to the actual meeting room.

th_Explorer_Corps_Lounge_by_MagyarEagle.

The Princess was currently sitting with the window behind her. At the time, it was displaying a view of the planet from orbit, making it most likely a massive holographic TV or something of the like. Upon seeing the Foreign Minister being led in, she stood and inclined her head in greeting. "Mister Ouibliant, good day. I hope the short journey from the airport wasn't too much of a hassle?"

Francois had quite enjoyed the sight seeing tour, the place was really quite beautiful, but he had to wonder at what cost it was that all of this magnificent architecture had been built, and where the poor who had done it lived, or even how many were displaced in the building. He was something of a humanitarian, but he pushed these thoughts out of his mind, "It was marvelous." he said with a grin as he bowed and took a seat, "You have a beautiful capital. I'm sure you have inferred something of the purpose of this meeting."

"Thank you. As for the meeting, I decided to assume little. France's full withdrawal from Quebec was noted of course, and is quite appreciated." She motioned for him to sit, then did so herself, in the same place where she'd sat just earlier, with her back to the impressive view of the window/screen.

"I suppose I could infer this or that, but I would really like to hear from you why France requested this meeting, Mister Ouibliant."

"France cannot afford to leave so many of our troops outside of the Continent these days, there are plans drawn up to remove over half of our garrison from the Pacific as well." Francoise says, perhaps giving too much information but deciding that complete trust was probably the best option here, "To be truthful, France wishes Tikal's friendship, the European Theater is no longer a place easily manipulated by France's diplomacy and military power, nations have found strength that didn't exist before, and we've been forced to find ourselves more allies than we had previously required."

He shifts to become more comfortable, "We had hoped that Tikal would be willing, as the centerpiece of the Americas, to offer France some manner of support in exchange for a promise of the same, though I freely admit that we're not on equal footing in that regard."

"I'll be frank with you, Monsieur Ouibliant. Tikal has not had good experiences with Europe to date. The first was, as you might remember, the issue with Quebec. At a later time there was an Icelandic government whose ruler used his friendship with us to justify some claim. After that, an uncooperative Britain and invading idiots calling themselves Saxons. And that's just our experiences - not those of our friends or allies. Europe hasn't made a good impression on the rest of the world as far as the Principality is concerned.

"I would call 'unequal footing' something of an understatement. Any sort of alliance will result in France gaining disproportionately more than Tikal - on the order of at least a magnitude, I imagine. Further, the Americas area peaceful and united. Even a purely defensive treaty with France may endanger this peace." The Princess sighed and leaned back in her chair. She didn't want to disappoint her Japanese friends, but the political realities weighed far too much to disregard them. While these issues persisted, any chance of a more serious treaty was slim, unfortunate as it may seem.

The French Foreign Minister was entirely too disappointed to hear that, "I was afraid that you would react as such. However, I should draw your attention to what may happen should the situation turn against France and her present allies." He paused and collected his thoughts, "There are powers who have expressed much wider colonial concerns than France has in Europe. France is one of the key lynch-pins in keeping such forces in check, though we still wish to have French Canada under competent hands we no longer wish those hands to be us."

"We're one of the biggest things keeping a balance in Europe between those who would be content with what they have and those who wish to come to the Americas and bring areas under their domain, if France were to fall, the next logical target would be anyone else who would stand in the way of a colonial Empire, and foremost on that list is Tikal. It's more likely that the peace would be broken if Tikal were to not stand with France, as such an alliance would make them at least think twice."

"There's nothing I can do to convince you in any sure way, and I understand if the answer hasn't changed, but if that be the case could we conclude a different treaty? Perhaps one with non-military concerns?"

"You speak the truth, I admit. France is a pivotal nation in European politics, and whether your state becomes dominant or overwhelmed may well determine whether expansionists and colonisers might look beyond your continent or instead be defeated and forced to try and hold onto what they have. The Americas are a beacon of stability, but can it continue without allies overseas?"

She took a deep sip of her drink, then closed her eyes and exhaled. She pinched the bridge of her nose, then moved the hand to loosely 'grab' her chin, index finger covering the mouth. Then she looked at the French diplomat. "I don't like it. My husband won't like it very much either, nor will many of our people. But sometimes the unpopular decisions are the important ones, the good ones. Tikal will sign a defensive pact with France, for better or worse."