As all parties involved in the fate of the French-speaking sections of Canada had agreed on the need for a conference, France had taken the liberty of forming one. Montreal was chosen as the venue, the largest French speaking city on the continent and the second largest in the world, it was a deliberate choice for the meeting, the invites to which would be sent to all three governments in question and local governors all from throughout the province of Quebec.

Though the Atlantic Federation had taken control of all areas of Quebec which meant anything, and in reality Montreal was in the middle of their territory, France still exercised a heavy presence in the area, militarily speaking, due to the uncertainty over who had jurisdiction. No conflicts had arisen, but for today, the flags of all three nations who influenced the fate of Quebec were flying in front of the Embassy.

The French representative was General de L'Armee en Quebec (General of the Army in Quebec, Officially Division General) Lance Bras-Forte, who seated himself to the right of the head position on the table, the head seat to be given to the head of the Federation's government.

In preparation for the meeting with France and Tikal, Prime Minister Adele Laroche met with her newly elected head of state at Rideau Hall to lay out the plan for the conference, at which she would be representing the Federation. The Premier of South Quebec, Alain Armistead, would also be in attendance since it was his province that was being discussed. After laying out the basic game plan, the PM opted to take the approximately two hour drive from Ottawa to Montreal instead of flying. Local police activity had been stepped up somewhat around the embassy in preparation for any sudden incidents while the conference was ongoing, although Federation intelligence forecasted that no terrorist chatter had been picked up, and it seemed that the newly elected government was in something of a political honeymoon for the time being, so the people weren't wont to start any unrest.

The PM stepped out of the car as it pulled in front of the embassy, followed by a pair of security personnel in civilian dress and a personal aide. They'd consent to a search if any was to be made, and made their way inside. Leaving the security behind, Laroche stepped into the conference chamber and made her way over to the table after being announced. She spotted the French general, and quirked an eyebrow at his clearly military appearance. While she was indeed prepared to discuss military matters, it hadn't occurred to her that she would be met by anything other than a representative of her French counterpart. She made sure to take it all in stride, however.

"Good evening. The Right Honourable Adele Laroche, Prime Minister of the Federation, at your service." Even though she was a Quebecker herself, and this was a representative of the government of France in a French-speaking city, the PM addressed the delegate in English, making sure to establish a precedent given that a representative from Tikal would be arriving, and it would be easier to conduct the conference in a common lingua franca even before he or she arrived.

Adele took a seat and beckoned her aide over, who brought her the notes she'd taken along. "I do hope we will be able to come to some sort of an agreement...but let us wait for the representative from Tikal first."

General Bras-Forte was not a young man, but he stood with just as much sprite as he had in his youth as the Prime Minister entered, only seating himself when she had. He offered a hand to shake, "General Bras-Forte at your service Madam Laroche." His English was heavily accented, but not unintelligible. He had noticed her eyebrow on entrance and inferred what the meaning might have been, "I apologize that a civilian official wasn't sent for the purposes of this meeting, the Empress deemed that it would be most prudent that the Commander of forces in the area discuss the manner and extent to which we withdraw from your sovereign lands."

"We did not expect that such an organized movement would occur so quickly in the areas under our protection so we're pleasantly surprised by your nation's appearance, I should have you know." He continues, sitting back, "Did you have any trouble getting here? I've tried to make sure that all but the most vital law-enforcement activities have been discontinued by our troops but you know how it is with chain of command, there's always one."

Laroche made sure to shake the General's hand before sitting down; it was only polite, after all. The administrative assistant she'd brought along for the trip had moved off to the side, and they were free to speak without interruption. However, by the Prime Minister's demeanor, it seemed clear that little serious discussion on the fate of Quebec would take place until the representative from Tikal arrived. "Oh, it's no worry. It's simply that I wasn't expecting a military official. The drive was fine, thank you. On a more relevant note, I expect that the representative from the Province of South Quebec will be arriving soon. The Premier, in fact."

Indeed, it wasn't long that the doors opened once more and the Honourable Alain Armistead was announced. He was a slightly older man than both the Prime Minister and the President, but not by much. "Bonsoir, General. Madam Prime Minister. I take it the conference has not yet begun, or the Tikal representative would be here? In any case, I am Alain Armistead, Premier of South Quebec. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, General. Your companion I believe I already know."

Clemente Marroquín Rojas had been appointed to represent Tikal in this matter, the Diarchs too busy with other issues to attend. When the French and Quebecoise diplomats were just arriving, Rojas was busy sitting in one of the cars of a 4-vehicle motorcade, having arrived by plane just earlier. Perhaps five minutes had passed since the Premier had entered when Clemente made his way into the building and to the conference room, flanked by two by then unarmed Ba'ate'xib who opted to stay out of the room for the duration of talks.

"Forgive me for my tardiness, Ladies, Gentlemen and otherwise. There was something of a traffic jam near the airport." He looked around for just a few moments, nodding at each representative in no particular order. "Premier Armistead, Prime Minister Laroche, and General Bras-Forte. Good day to each of you." He had an audible Central American accent, more used to Spanish or Yucatec than English.

The Director of Diplomacy then took his seat, adjusting his glasses and placing his arm-held holocomputer as the table to function as proper PC before appearing comfortable. He then pressed a few buttons on the holographic interface. "Before we begin, please be advised that I'll be recording this meeting, on orders of the Princess. Right. Well, who would like to officially begin this meeting?"

"I suppose that since it was my nation who called it that it should be I who begins it." The general says genially, focusing his attention on Madam Laroche and Monsieur Armistead, "The Empress, as I understand it, wishes to have assurance of the safety of the French language and culture within the areas of Quebec that you control, and at the least wishes your cooperation in the supply of the security forces which will remain in the areas of Northern Quebec until such a time as they either join your government, or form one of their own. As well, we wish to cooperate with you in seamlessly transferring authority from the security forces of the French and Tikal expeditions to your police forces."

"My Empress also believes that this is as good an opportunity as any to establish friendly relations between our two nations, since you now represent one of the largest representatives of Ethnic French in the world aside from ourselves. I've been authorized to make many concessions if necessary."

He looks at Monsieur Rojas for a moment, "I am not so well prepared to address the concerns and wishes of Tikal I'm afraid."

Rojas rolled his eyes with an amused smile. 'Asking would be a good first step,' he thought.

"Tikal's goal, first and foremost, is to keep European and other foreign influence on the Americas to the possible minimum. This resulted in the compromise for Quebec, and today has as goal the removal of French and Principal armed forces over the course of a few months, in favour for Federation troops replacing them. This would effectively transfer the protectorate from our joint-control to Federate control.

"From what I've heard from you, General, this is very close to your goals, so not much of a compromise should be required. I do agree that the culture of Quebec should be kept safe from discriminatory laws and so on."

He then addressed the Premier and PM. "Unlike France, I have not been given any directives on whether to establish nations, though a treaty of free trade and non-aggression should be possible, in my eyes. If you would like one, that is."

"I do not believe that such assurances are necessary to demonstrate our government's language policy," began Laroche. "As you doubtless know, French holds equal status to English in the proceedings of the federal government in my country, and citizens are free to choose the language in which they wish to communicate with their government in legal and other matters. Moreover, French is the primary language used for signage and education in the province of South Quebec, and a secondary language in New Brunswick, which has a significant French-speaking minority. And especially since South Quebec constitutes a large portion of the Federation's population, so long as a democratic system of government is in place, there is little risk of cultural or linguistic suppression.

We will be glad to cooperate in supplying your forces in North Quebec, and will not impede their travel in unclaimed land. However, since no military alliance exists between the Federation and France, I will have to formally request that all French troops leave our territory at the earliest practical opportunity. While we are not opposed to establishing closer diplomatic relations with France, until that time we will not allow continued military presence on our soil. And at no point will we entertain expansionistic or imperialistic designs upon our people or territory.

We are not demanding that France or Tikal remove their troops from North Quebec; we are simply requesting that no foreign military forces make themselves present upon the Federation's territory without a formalized military alliance, as that is an infringement upon our sovereignty. The Federation will, of course, accommodate for a gradual withdrawal and handover of responsibilities to civilian government."

The Premier took the opportunity to make a few remarks. "South Quebec holds, for the time being, a good degree of freedom to make its own internal policy, as do the provincial governments. The one thing that we as member states of the Federation cannot do is determine our foreign policy: the federal government exists for that purpose. So you see, as long as the current system exists, the provincial government is free to enact policy to its own ends. Since the majority of SQ's population is French-speaking, this of course includes protection of the language."

"That you for that contribution, Mr. Armistead. As to the protectorate, the President has authorized me to seek an end result that is agreeable to all. We would be willing to share joint custody of North Quebec with France and Tikal, or if you would prefer, we would be able to shoulder that burden ourselves. However, barring any attempt to threaten the sovereignty of the Federation directly or indirectly, we do not hold the same reservations that Tikal does regarding colonization, so long as such colonization is done in an ethical, democratic and free manner. We have no intentions of seeing North America become home to anything resembling the 19th century Congo Free State."

"Tikal's forces already have orders to remove themselves from South Quebec. Regarding assurances, personally I can live with what you've said in regards to your policies. Though I don't know whether my French colleague would prefer a document be drawn up. In regards to the protectorate of North Quebec, if the General can agree to a full withdrawal over time, and a transfer of the protectorate to the Federation as your nation becomes capable, Miss Prime Minister, we would be content." 

Turning his head slightly towards the Frenchman, he continues, "Of course, if France absolutely must insist on keeping a base in the Americas, Tikal would be willing to concede by permitting St Pierre et Miquelon as French naval base. This would only be the case once all other French forces have withdrawn, however, and if a guarantee for no further encroachment into the Americas was given."

Looking back at the North Americans, he paused for only a moment. "Concerning colonisation, there's no need for you to think about supporting us. We're doing this on our own volition, and so long as no Americans actively try to interfere with our policies, we'll keep doing it on our own. Tikal doesn't consider itself the world police, but it does consider itself, in a way, Protector of the Americas from colonisation and rampant imperialism."

"We can certainly remove ourselves with all haste, I would suggest that you get a good hold on Quebec and Montreal, if you haven't prepared for that already, they are where the majority of our troops are, keeping the peace. We would be satisfied with taking St Pierre and Miquelon, yes. They're rather close to us culturally anyways, though I don't see why you're so opposed to us retaining full control over North Quebec, since not only are the people willing, so is the nearest government." the General says. Not being a diplomat he was unaware that that was the sort of thing you weren't supposed to say.

"There's no need to burden the Atlantic Federation with a vast protectorate that they do not wish to cover, even if they are willing, it would be a drain on their resources that I believe France would be more prepared to shoulder."

"I am satisfied by the assurances of your government-" He looks at the two representatives from the Atlantic Federation, "-that you will protect the Culture of the area. Frankly I didn't think it would be a problem in the first place but you know how it is with Monarchs, hardly able to read the menu for dinner before they have to make a decision, much less a lengthy assessment of a government that suddenly sprang up from nothing."

Laroche took some time to consider both of the other parties before continuing. "Ever since the government was elected not long ago, civilian security forces throughout the provinces have taken things well in hand, and there have been no episodes of unrest. The Federation feels that it can ensure a smooth takeover of security duties over South Quebec. While we have no interest in hosting French troops upon our sovereign territory, I would like to take this moment, General, to extend the President's thanks to your government for what it has done so far to maintain peace and order and allow a civilian government to take the reins. And the same to Tikal.

Although the Federation Forces are still getting organized, we would be happy to aid in regional security activities in North Quebec, whether that be to take up joint protection, or simply to endeavor to aid and abet French forces or supplement their own should the need arise. If your government back home doesn't agree to share protection, then I will accept that. My government feels, for the time being, that it can trust France to give due consideration to any democratically supported government that rises within the protectorate regardless of its support for French policy.

And since the Federation holds no claim of territoriality upon St. Pierre and Miquelon, we will not necessarily contest or support French claims upon same."

Edited by Vedran

Rojas elected to ignore the General's diplomatic faux pas, instead concentrating on the issue at hand.

"No need to thank us, Miss Prime Minister. We only did our duty. Now, I'd like to sum up real quick. We all agree that South Quebec can and will be evacuated with all due haste by both Tikal and France. The next point has two option in my eyes, from what I've heard in our discussions up to this point.

"First, Tikal and France continue to hold North Quebec as joint-protectorate until such a time that the region either decides to declare their independence, or join the Federation.

"The second option, which I would prefer, is that Tikal and France gradually lessen their presence in North Quebec, while slowly transferring it to Quebec. In return for losing their foothold on the continent, France may be given the aforementioned island. Which would you favour, Ladies and Gentlemen?"

Edited by Lynneth

"Neither of these options are objectionable to us...however, being a non-expansionist state, the Federation would not be all too comfortable to take the remainder of Quebec into its territory without at least a decisive referendum. We would rather favor independence of North Quebec, and so the first suggestion is more favorable. However, we would not want to overly burden the French and Tikal national budgets by suggesting they commit to a long-term occupation of the area.

As I said, we would be glad to join French and Tikal forces in a protecting and peacekeeping role in North Quebec until a government can arise. If France and Tikal wish to withdraw their contribution to said forces at any point as per Mr. Rojas' second proposal, the Federation could at that point take sole protectorship over Quebec. In fact, perhaps an agreement that combines these two proposals in the manner I have described may be best?"

"Keeping North Quebec a protectorate would not inconvenience Tikal's budget in any way. So, the Federation would prefer the first option, France would like to pass their duties over to the Federation... So, a compromise. France does as the General has just expressed and the Federation steps in, in place of France, over time. Meanwhile, Tikal's troops and administration remains, watching over the process, ending in a joint-protectorate between Tikal and the Federation. That way, neither of us is overstretched.

"Regarding a referendum, one may be held if the people of North Quebec express their wish for such a thing. At this time, I'm not aware of any movement organised enough for such a thing, so you needn't worry about that. I do believe there's efforts for one thing or the other. We'll simply have to wait and see, Miss Prime Minister."

"This is agreeable to the Federation as well. A transfer of protectorship to Tikal and the Federation, with French forces gradually withdrawing. To ease the transition, we will place no deadline on the withdrawal of French forces from North Quebec; however, we expect that the withdrawal from South Quebec be finished by the end of the month barring unforeseen events. France is authorized to use the St. Lawrence Seaway for military traffic for this period for the explicit purpose of withdrawal.

If this is acceptable to all present, we should see about drafting a written agreement."

"Very well," said Laroche, and beckoned her aide over. She began to write up the agreement.

Montreal Agreement between the Federation of the Atlantic, Empire of France, and Principality of Tikal

also known as the Montreal Agreement

Preface

Regarding the unincorporated territories of Quebec, henceforth known as North Quebec, and the territories comprising the Federation Province of South Quebec, henceforth known as South Quebec.

Article I: South Quebec

a. France and Tikal hereby relinquish any claim of protectorship over South Quebec, and agree to withdraw all military forces by 2014-07-01.

b. The use of the St. Lawrence Seaway for military traffic for the sole and explicit purpose of military withdrawal from South Quebec is authorized from the time of signing to 2014-07-01.

Article II: North Quebec

a. France hereby agrees to withdraw, with no externally imposed deadline, all military forces from North Quebec and transfer protectorship to the Federation.

b. Upon fulfillment of the first point, the Federation and Tikal undertake joint protectorship over North Quebec.

Article III: St. Pierre and Miquelon

a. Upon fulfillment of French obligations outlined in Articles I and II, the Federation and Tikal agree to recognize French claims upon St. Pierre and Miquelon.

Signed

For the Federation of the Atlantic

For the Empire of France

For the Principality of Tikal

Once she was finished, Laroche presented the final product to the foreign representatives. "I believe this encapsulates everything discussed here in a simple enough format. Of course, if France and Tikal would prefer to settle the matter of St. Pierre and Miquelon in a separate agreement, Article III can be scrubbed."

Edited by Vedran

"It looks acceptable to me. Unless the General would like to disagree on the island for some reason."

Rojas signed the treaty with flourish.

By the authority vested in me by Their Sublime Highnesses

Clemente Marroquín Rojas

Director of Diplomacy

"Excellent." Laroche took the document and added her signature, followed by Mr. Armistead.

Montreal Agreement between the Federation of the Atlantic, Empire of France, and Principality of Tikal

also known as the Montreal Agreement

Preface

Regarding the unincorporated territories of Quebec, henceforth known as North Quebec, and the territories comprising the Federation Province of South Quebec, henceforth known as South Quebec.

Article I: South Quebec

a. France and Tikal hereby relinquish any claim of protectorship over South Quebec, and agree to withdraw all military forces by 2014-07-01.

b. The use of the St. Lawrence Seaway for military traffic for the sole and explicit purpose of military withdrawal from South Quebec is authorized from the time of signing to 2014-07-01.

Article II: North Quebec

a. France hereby agrees to withdraw, with no externally imposed deadline, all military forces from North Quebec and transfer protectorship to the Federation.

b. Upon fulfillment of the first point, the Federation and Tikal undertake joint protectorship over North Quebec.

Article III: St. Pierre and Miquelon

a. Upon fulfillment of French obligations outlined in Articles I and II, the Federation and Tikal agree to recognize French claims upon St. Pierre and Miquelon.

Signed

For the Federation of the Atlantic

Adele Laroche, Prime Minister of the Federation

Alain Armistead, Premier of South Quebec

For the Empire of France

In the name of her Royal Majesty Jeanne de LaQueu,

General Lance Bras-Forte

For the Principality of Tikal

By the authority vested in me by Their Sublime Highnesses

Clemente Marroquín Rojas

Director of Diplomacy

"Well, gentlemen, it's been a pleasure. I will bring this to Parliament for ratification first thing tomorrow."