deployed + wifi hotspots + friend interested in the game

Rogal Dorn

summary: I have internet access currently while deployed and my friend is interested in playing the game. There are a few wifi networks around the base but i've logged into CN from all but 1 of them, however, i do not log into them anymore. the one i use now is my personal WLAN from my room. my question is.. can he create a nation on one of those other networks and use them since he does not have a WLAN in his room as i do. or is he restricted to the 1 network i never logged into CN on? I told him i want to make sure it's okay before anything happens and to not do anything until this question is resolved fully.

I'm not sure about the specifics of how your system handles IP's, but it may be that it won't matter and all connections will be one IP. If not that, almost certainly he'll still need to be restricted to the one you've not used, at least for in-game things (a mod should clarify, but I believe using the forums on the same IP shouldn't be an issue as it in no way allows cheating). I would suggest you find your external IP (if you don't know how from the command prompt, I suggest [url="http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/"]this method[/url]) from your room and have him check it from the one router you've not used. Don't post them here, but compare them, and if they're the same, he can't use the game; if not, so long as he stays on that one router you should be fine. Again though, my fear is that the system there would have only one external IP, so he may not be able to play at all.

[quote name='Locke' timestamp='1293919890' post='2560289']
I'm not sure about the specifics of how your system handles IP's, but it may be that it won't matter and all connections will be one IP. If not that, almost certainly he'll still need to be restricted to the one you've not used, at least for in-game things (a mod should clarify, but I believe using the forums on the same IP shouldn't be an issue as it in no way allows cheating). I would suggest you find your external IP (if you don't know how from the command prompt, I suggest [url="http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/"]this method[/url]) from your room and have him check it from the one router you've not used. Don't post them here, but compare them, and if they're the same, he can't use the game; if not, so long as he stays on that one router you should be fine. Again though, my fear is that the system there would have only one external IP, so he may not be able to play at all.
[/quote]

hmmm. i'll go ahead and have him do that Locke. thanks. *crosses fingers*